Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] Does anyone actually care about Halo 5 E-sports?

OP The Kerminater

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 20
  4. 21
  5. ...
  6. 22
Me? Personally no, I do watch the update streams though.
It seems pretty obvious by the response to this thread that while (probably) most dont tune in, many, many do and seem to hold it in high regard. If you have never seen it, I would recommend watching a recap/rebroadcast or tuning into twitch.tv/halo on Thursdays and Fridays.

Also feel free to pm me if you have any questions about how to catch some of the action.
Frank1ller wrote:
eBenguin wrote:
belgianking7777, I'm pretty sure we had this same argument a week ago. And I told you then that you don't get to decide what is deemed "of value", I'm sorry that you're hung up on this but you're wrong. Your argument is still flawed. Idk what your crusade to stigmatize video games is about, but its pretty clear that you're in the minority if you think video games are less valuable than any other kind of entertainment.
Just because you hate your job(assuming you're not 14) doesn't give you the right to -Yoink- on a job that doesn't suck.
unless you are in video-game indutry, testing game for them, translating or any knid of smilar jobs. i dont think playing to win tournaments are a job as of now. you could compare this to real sports, but e-sport is really too young to affirm that. they dont have much sponsors as their real-life counterpart. majority of the humanity are not ready for this. did you see the uproar it made when they showed an video-game tournament on a traditional sport channel?
I did see the uproar? It was extremely stupid to broadcast a video on a sports channel considering playing a video game is not a sport.
The U.S. government does recognize e-sporters as professional athletes and gives them visas to compete internationally.
The US Government also dropped two atomic bombs on Japan which was a severe war crime yet were never punished for it. Governments make mistakes man. We're all humans.
Comparing hundreds of thousands of innocents being incinerated to governments acknowledging gamers as professional athletes is a ridiculous and extremely insentive comparison.
If you don't think e-sports is respectable a profession as any of the 'traditional' sports, fine. But unfortunately for you, not just millions of people, but governments across the world do legally deem pro gamers as athletes . That's a fact. Saying that it's just "shoots & ladders" and a "waste of time" is nothing more than your opinion.
not that i dont trust you. but im interresed to see any source or link confirming this ''fact''.

(bad grammar incoming ,be warned)
In my opinion, there are difference between traditionnal sprots and games competition.
i consider sport more ''physic'' that turn around trainning and devotion. this one also need more time to develop than the other.
i dont have another name for the other group, so ill call them competition. in this group, i put : social game( chess, ect) poker and card game, talent ( music, art, ect) intelligence competition and video-game. this group is more oriented to mental and inborn talent. of course you can train hard and all, but its different.
i cannot quite explain what i mean. but i really cant put sport and these competition in the same category.
.000001% of the Halo population gives a rat's fart about E-sports. Sick of hearing about it too. Get a real job. Bam....Roasted!!!
What is that
Frank1ller wrote:
eBenguin wrote:
belgianking7777, I'm pretty sure we had this same argument a week ago. And I told you then that you don't get to decide what is deemed "of value", I'm sorry that you're hung up on this but you're wrong. Your argument is still flawed. Idk what your crusade to stigmatize video games is about, but its pretty clear that you're in the minority if you think video games are less valuable than any other kind of entertainment.

Just because you hate your job(assuming you're not 14) doesn't give you the right to -Yoink- on a job that doesn't suck.
unless you are in video-game indutry, testing game for them, translating or any knid of smilar jobs. i dont think playing to win tournaments are a job as of now. you could compare this to real sports, but e-sport is really too young to affirm that. they dont have much sponsors as their real-life counterpart. majority of the humanity are not ready for this. did you see the uproar it made when they showed an video-game tournament on a traditional sport channel?
lol what? Analysts predict that by 2018, Esports will be a 1.2billion dollar industry-- in the US alone. There are players who routinely make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year-- BEFORE counting the stream donations and endorsement deals.

Many players get free housing, travel, and health benefits.

Sure it doesn't have as many sponsors as traditional sports, but it's in its infancy, what do you expect?

TBS airs competitive counterstrike several nights a week. Investors are tripping over themselves to get involved in the upswing.

Im not sure why people are so down Esports- the "job " is no less useful to society than being a comedian, singer, dancer, traditional athlete, or an actor. At the end of the day, consumers are willing to pay to be entertained. THAT'S what validates a profession.
and thats a shame. all the other profession you mentionned ( except dancing) require more talent than being good at video-game. i will never understandd why people watch stream instead of playing themself. maybe im overestiming video-game players and im nearly a pro without knowing it? the only way to know is that i open my own twitch account and see how many peoples have time to lose to watch me play any video-game i feel like, i guess. .

honestly, i dont consider me like a pro. but thats shocking hom many players can be so bad. it ashaming to see both teamates and enemy being not being able to be positive( win ratio i mean) in every game they play ( overwatch, halo , gta and , figthing game and many more...)
Not at all. I could care less. I play Halo for fun
mmm Deben comprometersen mas con El Público
I always see these promos on the home page or the in-game Message of the Day for some new E-sports happenstance that pretend like more than 5% of the community is actually paying attention to it.

Either they're seriously misjudging their audience, or they're trying too hard to push E-sports on the community because Microsoft says it's profitable.
If you want to know if people care about Halo 5 E-Sports visit the Halo Twitch streams or any pro from the 8 Pro League teams. The streams population will tell you everything you need to know. An interesting fact is that viewership for Halo E-Sports is growing by the month.
Dota 2 e sports yes please Halo 5 nope could care less about guys with the best weapon murdering each other. Doesn't excite one bit.
Siempre veo estas promociones en la página principal o el mensaje en el juego del Día por alguna casualidad nueva E-Sports que fingir que más del 5% de la comunidad está realmente prestando atención a ella. O son misjudging seriamente su audiencia o que están tratando demasiado duro para empujar E-Sports en la comunidad debido a que Microsoft dice que es rentable.
Frank1ller wrote:
Frank1ller wrote:
eBenguin wrote:
belgianking7777, I'm pretty sure we had this same argument a week ago. And I told you then that you don't get to decide what is deemed "of value", I'm sorry that you're hung up on this but you're wrong. Your argument is still flawed. Idk what your crusade to stigmatize video games is about, but its pretty clear that you're in the minority if you think video games are less valuable than any other kind of entertainment.

Just because you hate your job(assuming you're not 14) doesn't give you the right to -Yoink- on a job that doesn't suck.
unless you are in video-game indutry, testing game for them, translating or any knid of smilar jobs. i dont think playing to win tournaments are a job as of now. you could compare this to real sports, but e-sport is really too young to affirm that. they dont have much sponsors as their real-life counterpart. majority of the humanity are not ready for this. did you see the uproar it made when they showed an video-game tournament on a traditional sport channel?
lol what? Analysts predict that by 2018, Esports will be a 1.2billion dollar industry-- in the US alone. There are players who routinely make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year-- BEFORE counting the stream donations and endorsement deals.

Many players get free housing, travel, and health benefits.

Sure it doesn't have as many sponsors as traditional sports, but it's in its infancy, what do you expect?

TBS airs competitive counterstrike several nights a week. Investors are tripping over themselves to get involved in the upswing.

Im not sure why people are so down Esports- the "job " is no less useful to society than being a comedian, singer, dancer, traditional athlete, or an actor. At the end of the day, consumers are willing to pay to be entertained. THAT'S what validates a profession.
and thats a shame. all the other profession you mentionned ( except dancing) require more talent than being good at video-game. i will never understandd why people watch stream instead of playing themself. maybe im overestiming video-game players and im nearly a pro without knowing it? the only way to know is that i open my own twitch account and see how many peoples have time to lose to watch me play any video-game i feel like, i guess. .

honestly, i dont consider me like a pro. but thats shocking hom many players can be so bad. it ashaming to see both teamates and enemy being not being able to be positive( win ratio i mean) in every game they play ( overwatch, halo , gta and , figthing game and many more...)
My biggest issue with E-sports is the fact that it's taking away from the fun of the game. Competitive is nice, but there needs to be a balance. If you wanna be pro, stay away from the community. It's parading the fact that you turned the game away from real fans and put it into the hands of people who don't bathe. You don't see professional athletes screwing over your kids little league do you? Do professional athletes affect the fun out of playing yourself? The answer is no, they don't. This is not the same thing. E-sports has as much pull as pooty pie or whatever his name is.
Probably about a quarter to a third of the community seems to give it some sort of attention either positive or negative but myself personally It could cease to exist and I wouldn't care
R4in wrote:
I always see these promos on the home page or the in-game Message of the Day for some new E-sports happenstance that pretend like more than 5% of the community is actually paying attention to it.

Either they're seriously misjudging their audience, or they're trying too hard to push E-sports on the community because Microsoft says it's profitable.
If you want to know if people care about Halo 5 E-Sports visit the Halo Twitch streams or any pro from the 8 Pro League teams. The streams population will tell you everything you need to know. An interesting fact is that viewership for Halo E-Sports is growing by the month.
Good call R4in. I have never disputed Halo's popularity in the professional competition realm, and I have no doubt that there are thousands of halo fans that casually watch them play. What I am disputing, however, is that the term "e-sport" is misguided and almost an insult to anyone who calls themselves an athlete playing a traditional or physically demanding sport.

Video games require a completely different set of skills mostly driven by cognitive abilities.
I don't care one iota. For one, if I have the time to watch somebody play I'm wasting my own precious play time and two, why would I want to watch a bunch of people that would absolutely dominate me in a match play? Doesn't do anything for me. I skip right past these messages when they're part of the "Message of the Day."
Just because you don't care about it, doesn't mean others don't. HCS has a huge following right now.
ive never seen the game in the top 15 on twitch
also esl halo on youtube has less than 2000 sub
It has a pretty big following bruh.
Absolutely not. I think there is too much support for this "pro"-stuff. I'm a halo-fan since the beginning and I noticed about legends like "neighbor", "walshy" and "snipedown" but this times are over and 343 gives a bit too much attention about this, than on fun-gametypes.
ive never seen the game in the top 15 on twitch
It was number 2 or 3 on Twitch during the season 1 HCS finals.

and I noticed about legends like "neighbor", "walshy" and "snipedown" but this times are over and 343 gives a bit too much attention about this, than on fun-gametypes.
Snipedown still plays on EG. The times aren't over, they're just new pros. The HCS isn't the reason why we're not getting fun gametypes. From the beginning, 343 had their 'sustain' plan in effect so we still would've gotten the same gametypes even if there was no HCS.
.000001% of the Halo population gives a rat's fart about E-sports. Sick of hearing about it too. Get a real job. Bam....Roasted!!!
And posts like this are why I'm locking this. I've seen this go on for pages on end, people insulting the pros for getting paid to do what they love.

You guys accept so many people in the Halo community but the moment someone mentions competitive Halo or pro players so many of you become so absurdly toxic.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 20
  4. 21
  5. ...
  6. 22