Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Does anyone actually care if multiplayer is canon?

OP Marcos94

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. ...
  9. 11
It doesn't bother me, but I do think it's dumb when they try and make some weapon skins like the the pizza and Mister Chief rainbow for example a part of the canon. I mean, c'mon now.
I have massive issues with it being canon. It provides us NOTHING. Nobody cares about immersion in multiplayer because you don't see Spartans tea bagging other Spartans in "a simulator". All it does is make adding new content more complicated.
I would rather multiplayer not be cannon. I don't like the whole simulation thing, and I think we should just go back to it not being cannon.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Marcos94 wrote:
Seriously. It seems like they're trying to add to the multiplayer experience by making it canon, when in reality, it seems like it does the exact opposite and limits everything. Most notably the ability to play elites.

Do you want multiplayer to be canon? Does it really matter at all?
343 does and that's all that matters to them
I kind of like the canon having a little footnote to allow the multiplayer to be included. I don't think it's actually affecting the gameplay at all (Elites were not actually excluded from Halo 4 and 5 for some artistic reason involving wanting to stay true to some lore, let's be reasonable here and see that as the grasping excuse for their absence that it is). And I think the little notes about the maps and their relevance to the Spartans training in them are pretty neat.

I do think that, as other people have said, things like the pizza skin clash with the idea that this is at all canon, but I'd rather see those kinds of super-lol-random meme stuff go away whether the multiplayer is canon or not.

I wouldn't terribly miss MP being canon if 343 ditched the idea, but I respect and appreciate the effort on 343's part to try and make the most of the story and make the story such an important part of their work (I still think this to be true of 343, despite Halo 5's... failings).
It's interesting
Don't get me wrong guys. I think it's cool to have some backstory to some of the maps we're playing on, or canon/lore in general like that. But when they have to exclude certain things in the game for the sake of the lore, it seems like too much.
If it keeps Elites out of multiplayer, so be it. I always hated seeing an Elite in Halo 3 multiplayer, and it always felt like the hit boxes were weird.. I understand the appeal, and certainly I feel Elites are fascinating, but the only way I'd approve of Elites in multiplayer is with a Invasion style incentive.

Give me Elites that have their own set of abilities, or give me a Warzone-esque game mode that has three teams with different factions. 12v12v12, a UNSC team, Covenant team, Forerunner team. But don't just slap an elite skin on a Spartan hitbox, and don't create a completely new hitbox for a competitive game.
At first I thought Warzone was UNSC Vs forerunner or vs Covie (The ads back in spring 2015) I was so hyped until i saw the beta. Even the ordance system in H4 was better than h5's power weapon req's.
Yeah, I enjoy the fact that they've tied multiplayer in with the universe.

And I think people who really want to play as elites to the point where they actually list it as a negative part of the recent Halo games are -yoinks-. There's plenty more major things to complain about.
Marcos94 wrote:
Seriously. It seems like they're trying to "add" to the multiplayer experience by making it canon, when in reality, it seems like it does the exact opposite and limits everything. Most notably the ability to play elites.

Do you want multiplayer to be canon? Does it really matter at all?
Does it matter? No, not really. But there's no inherent harm in prescribing a bit of purpose or backstory to what you're doing.

As long as it isn't leaking over and actively harming gameplay then it can only benefit those who enjoy the lore. And if you dont, well, it's not harming you either.
Agreed
Marcos94 wrote:
Don't get me wrong guys. I think it's cool to have some backstory to some of the maps we're playing on, or canon/lore in general like that. But when they have to exclude certain things in the game for the sake of the lore, it seems like too much.
What is being excluded for lore reasons? Playable Elites definitely aren't, or else Halo Online wouldn't have had them.
Who cares if it's canon
Marcos94 wrote:
I assume you're talking about playable Elites. They were not excluded because of lore reasons. They were excluded for some other reason and their absence from multiplayer in a story point of view was excused with a story answer of the simulations being only Spartans training with other Spartans.

There was no meeting at 343 where everyone was super ready and raring to include playable Elites when someone burst in and put a stop to the whole thing simply because it didn't fit with the story.

If that was the case, we wouldn't have pizza and fries on our guns, toy company guns, race car warthogs, and Clippy on our Spartan emblems. 343's little meme REQs are proof that story doesn't factor into what does or does not make it into multiplayer, if nothing else is proof enough. We have plenty of stuff going into the game which doesn't jive with the canon of multiplayer.

I see no evidence that multiplayer being included in the story has had the slightest bit of influence on its gameplay or features, even with story being used as an excuse for something which wasn't going to be in the game anyway.
It doesn't personally matter to me, I do like some of the background info that's provided on account of the MP being canon, although I would imagine they could still add that sort of information in regardless of whether MP was canon or not. I liked what a previous poster suggested about having playable elites in non-ranked playlists. It would be cool to see Elites have their own set of "Sangheili" abilities (again as another poster suggested) rather than just giving them the Spartan abilities, although just thinking about trying to balance that already seems like a nightmare.
this seems mainly like an elite discussion.
i think elites would be cool, but they would definitely need the same hit boxes. which wouldnt make sense since theyr shaped different.
so then 343s only option would be to break up the already small and shrinking community into a sanghili playlist. which i cant really see them doing.
(for more then a week at a time atleast)
sanghili slayer (sorry if i spelt it wrong) would be cool
but if they do that then they would probably want to modify the elite abilities (tweak games mechanics) to make more sense with the species. so then tht would would mean more work on a game thats already been out for a full year
also since this is a simulation (which honestly i have no problem with that) they would, im sure, want to adapt the intro to accomidate an elite being simulated. instead of a spartan.
as for pizza ARs and such. idk. who cares. its fun. it gives arena players a reason to buy gold packs and use ultra rare RP boosts on their favorite maps
coming from someone whos played halo from CE its nice that they try to tie in the universe a bit. but yeah some of its a little too much and limits their flexablity on the MP. of course until a back story is made up by one of their logistic managers
yeah there can be a few gamplay things though
oh last thing. i saw someone in a prevous post ask why any game type besides warzone and slayer would make sense for spartans to simulate on the infinity. ctf and 'king of the hill' styled objective wargames wernt invented by the video game industry. sartans would need objective styled simulations to build comrodary and team work just like any military organization. just with unicorn helmets and vibrant colored ARs an magnums
It is supposed to be a simulation within the infinity
im trying to delete this reply but i cant on my phone
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. ...
  9. 11