Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Does anyone actually care if multiplayer is canon?

OP Marcos94

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 6
  4. 7
  5. 8
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. ...
  9. 11
Honestly, I find that making multiplayer canon really disengages me from the experience, rather than get me more into it. Back in the Bungie days, it felt fantastic to explore all of these new and interesting corners of the Halo universe through multiplayer. When I played on, say, Snowbound, Death Island or Ridgeline, it felt as real as exploring the Halo rings in the campaign. It was a way of seeing more than we could through just the campaign, and it really didn't matter how or why Spartans were fighting each other.

And things like Firefight? Did it really matter if I wasn't actually on Installation 04 or in New Mombasa, as per canon? Not really, since it really felt like I was an ODST/Spartan who was up against all odds, fighting real enemies. It really seemed like something that could be happening or could have happened in the Halo universe, against real enemies. There were some real stakes

But now, in Halo 4, and especially Halo 5? Meh... It really does not feel as good, knowing that everything is just a simluation, especially since they throw the word "simulation" at us constantly. When I see a new multiplayer map, it doesn't seem like a new part of the Halo universe. No, it's just some simulation on the Infinity's holodeck with some weird name like "War Games Map_Set/: 037-2". And Jeff Steitzer? Now he's some War Games AI who's job is to yell out "DOUBLE KILL!" during these training simulations. I mean... Beforehand, nobody really thought about that, or cared about him being a real character. He was a badass announcer in a video game, because that's what video games do.

And no longer are we fighting waves of real enemies in Firefight, we're fighting holograms! Wow, so exciting, really get me into the game, you know? Not. There are no stakes here. We're not defending a crucial objective or territory. No, we're fighting fake enemies for no reason, with the word "simulation" being thrown around like it's going out of style. It just does not have the same "oompf" as the real Firefight from Bungie's games.

And really... Who asked for this? I do not recall one person ever say "I can't get into Halo's multiplayer because I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY SPARTANS ARE FIGHTING OTHER SPARTANS!!! WHAT IS GOING ON!?!?!" Why did multiplayer need to be canon? Why do they have to go through the effort that nobody asked for? I mean, beforehand, if people really cared, they could make their own head-canon about it. It wasn't a big deal until 343i decided that it would be.

And now, where are we at? We have a game who's multiplayer story is more fleshed out than the single player campaign's. And that's sad.
i have no idea what you are all on about and at this point, i am too afraid to ask.
Yes, a little bit
Hotrod192 wrote:
Honestly, I find that making multiplayer canon really disengages me from the experience, rather than get me more into it. Back in the Bungie days, it felt fantastic to explore all of these new and interesting corners of the Halo universe through multiplayer. When I played on, say, Snowbound, Death Island or Ridgeline, it felt as real as exploring the Halo rings in the campaign. It was a way of seeing more than we could through just the campaign, and it really didn't matter how or why Spartans were fighting each other.

And things like Firefight? Did it really matter if I wasn't actually on Installation 04 or in New Mombasa, as per canon? Not really, since it really felt like I was an ODST/Spartan who was up against all odds, fighting real enemies. It really seemed like something that could be happening or could have happened in the Halo universe, against real enemies. There were some real stakes

But now, in Halo 4, and especially Halo 5? Meh... It really does not feel as good, knowing that everything is just a simluation, especially since they throw the word "simulation" at us constantly. When I see a new multiplayer map, it doesn't seem like a new part of the Halo universe. No, it's just some simulation on the Infinity's holodeck with some weird name like "War Games Map_Set/: 037-2". And Jeff Steitzer? Now he's some War Games AI who's job is to yell out "DOUBLE KILL!" during these training simulations. I mean... Beforehand, nobody really thought about that, or cared about him being a real character. He was a badass announcer in a video game, because that's what video games do.

And no longer are we fighting waves of real enemies in Firefight, we're fighting holograms! Wow, so exciting, really get me into the game, you know? Not. There are no stakes here. We're not defending a crucial objective or territory. No, we're fighting fake enemies for no reason, with the word "simulation" being thrown around like it's going out of style. It just does not have the same "oompf" as the real Firefight from Bungie's games.

And really... Who asked for this? I do not recall one person ever say "I can't get into Halo's multiplayer because I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY SPARTANS ARE FIGHTING OTHER SPARTANS!!! WHAT IS GOING ON!?!?!" Why did multiplayer need to be canon? Why do they have to go through the effort that nobody asked for? I mean, beforehand, if people really cared, they could make their own head-canon about it. It wasn't a big deal until 343i decided that it would be.

And now, where are we at? We have a game who's multiplayer story is more fleshed out than the single player campaign's. And that's sad.
Yes I would agree, just one of life's paradoxes
  • Making multiplayer cannon makes it feel less real
  • A company can ruin Halo
  • A company can ruin Firefight
  • As stated multiplayer being more fleshed out than campaign lore-wise
  • Holograms can be extreme bullet sponges...
SO TRUE! you are totally right. in fact, the swords of Sanghillios mean we could make multiplayer cannon and BRING BACK ELITES! probably not also brutes, but that would be awesome so BRING IN THE BRUTES! AND GRUNTS-actually, that's too far.
Marcos94 wrote:
Seriously. It seems like they're trying to add to the multiplayer experience by making it canon, when in reality, it seems like it does the exact opposite and limits everything. Most notably the ability to play elites.

Do you want multiplayer to be canon? Does it really matter at all?
In answer to your question, I don't care and not really.

In answer to your real point as it seems, I think your wrong. It doesn't limit gameplay in anyway. For start, we're allies with elites. The reason they aren't in the game as a playable race is because of all the people in 3 whining about the hit boxes being wack. In fact with a "It's a hologram simulation" we could have cannon a spartan hacks it and a game mode is pretty pink princess mode, where the objective is to have a good tea party. :P
I think it's nice that 343 tries it's best to make the multiplayer cannon (even though Palmer's voice drives me crazy).
Well, based on from what I saw

(was playin warzone, warden eternal spawned, we started to shoot at it, then *POOF!* it has either,
A: Despawned
B:Fell through the map
C: ? ? ? ?

anyway, im not exactly sure what happened, and sadly, I forgot to get a clip of it.
anyway, i'd say "Not canon"
because well, its not like the "Warzone simulation" Has glitches in the matrix,
(except when it does.)
If they'd wan't to make elites playable, they could also come up with a plausible canon explanation, so no it doesn't limit mm at all.
Honestly I prefer non-canon MP
Hotrod192 wrote:

Excellent point. It does feel that way. Now knowing we're just shooting at holograms and everything is just a simulation just kinda takes me out of it. Especially hearing "Let's send these guys back to basic training" with the whole spartan chatter thing. It's kind of a big cheese fest. Lol to me, at least.
Doesn't matter to me honestly, though if the SIVs are training in warzone they better be pretty damn impressive in H6.
Make a poll and we can vote!
Halo 5's multiplayer is just simulations designed to train Spartans.
Nope. It's ridiculous that it's considered cannon IMO. So all of these Power-Ranger-looking Spartans with Pizza ARs and Magnums with rainbows on them are going out and fighting the enemies of humanity? What a joke.
I like that it ties the MP with the rest of the Halo universe together, particularly in 4 where by doing MP you were building your Spartan you then used in Spartan Ops... pretty cool idea, just not great execution in my opinion. That said, no, if it wasn't a thing, I wouldn't really care - I still played Halo's 1 - Reach without any consideration of those two modes tying together plenty, and I've always looked at them as two separate parts to the collective Halo package. I'd be fine if they weren't related.
CRISTIAMUZ wrote:
Halo 5's multiplayer is just simulations designed to train Spartans.
Halo 4's Multiplayer was basically a simulation, right?
Marcos94 wrote:
Seriously. It seems like they're trying to add to the multiplayer experience by making it canon, when in reality, it seems like it does the exact opposite and limits everything. Most notably the ability to play elites.

Do you want multiplayer to be canon? Does it really matter at all?
I would much rather that multiplayer not be considered "canon". Let those who play it make up their own story for why red Spartans fight blue Spartans etc. Sometimes something just needs to be for fun for fun's sake like Infection or Griffball or skeeball if anyone remembers playing that whacky game type in Halo Reach.

Forcing multiplayer to always be "canon" is one of many terrible ideas 343 Industries keeps trying to force on us and is just generally bad for making a game that is fun for all to play. Hell, one would think having Elites fighting Spartans would actually seem more realistic in terms of a simulated battle than Spartans fighting Spartans. I don't think 343i making multiplayer "canon" is the reason we don't have playable Elites in multiplayer, I just think it's because they are incompetent when it comes to decision making, but hey, that's just my opinion.
No
I think it's cool an' all but it doesn't change ths experience at all.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 6
  4. 7
  5. 8
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. ...
  9. 11