Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Does anyone actually care if multiplayer is canon?

OP Marcos94

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 7
  4. 8
  5. 9
  6. 10
  7. ...
  8. 11
Better question, who the heck brought up the idea of Multiplayer canon in the first place?
well I don't like it the way I see it as an excuse for 343 to not add things the community wants
In answer to OP YES, YES and YES. Hate this simulation/war games thing. Just an excuse to build Lego maps in my opinion.
Marcos94 wrote:
Seriously. It seems like they're trying to add to the multiplayer experience by making it canon, when in reality, it seems like it does the exact opposite and limits everything. Most notably the ability to play elites.

Do you want multiplayer to be canon? Does it really matter at all?
I honestly couldn't care less, I only consider the main story canon to me and of course everything inbetween it.
MULTIPLAYER is a simulation on the infinity
Multiplayer is a battle simulation. Making it canon just takes away that simulation feeling.
who cares if it's cannon, I just want a good multiplayer like Halo 2 and 3
Really it's just not consistent.
A: When did the infinity learn about warden eternal as to put him in the war games?

B: Palmer isn't on board the infinity currently so how can she be narrating

And not to mention the fact that it stops us from getting playable elites. It was a cool idea in concept but it really just doesn't work.
I like the application of canon when designing maps and the stories of each one, but I do not want it interfering with gameplay. When features are removed and changed negatively for the sake of canon, like no Elites, that's when it becomes a problem. The canon should have no part in altering the fundamentals of game-play itself. Obviously, I wouldn't want it to get to a ridiculous degree like having grunts and jackals as playable characters (Also on a side note, why the -Yoink- can grunts melee me and do damage in Campaign and WZ? I am genuinely mind -Yoinked!- by this. I AM WEARING MJOLNIR FOR GOD SAKES! Even without shields you are still a Covenant slaying juggernaut in that armour/combat skin, them meleeing you should have absolutely no effect on you. Rant over...)

Anyway as I was saying, no, canon should not fundamentally change multiplayer game-play, but it's nice to see its influence on map aesthetics, and things that don't really interact with game-play, but instead add to the ambience of the multiplayer space. #BringbackElites ;P
(Maybe add Forerunners too)
This is very true. I don't want Multiplayer to be too canon, as it limits us from doing the things in multiplayer that we love.

Also probably why there's no KOTH or race, which in my head still doesn't make any sense
No, it shouldn't be a simulation in the canon.
it is fun at times to be an elite
I find it weird that 343i is trying to make the multiplayer experience a canon/in-universe thing. I always saw multiplayer as a fun, mindless alternative to campaign, a way to play with other players without restrictions, nothing more. I don't know how multiplayer being a simulation would work, anyway, in the Halo universe, unless they somehow use virtual reality or the Holodeck...
I was initially excited by this because I always kind of saw MP as canon (especially after Reach described it as training and missions). This is why I partially approved of Spartan Ops; It was real missions where your Spartan was part of Fireteam Crimson, having an actual effect on the Halo storyline. It was a really sick idea that was unfortunately handled very poorly.

I don't mind the added context, but I don't much care and would rather keep it seperate if they aren't going to use it meaningfully. A bunch of boring simulations and pizza skins don't do it for me.
They needed to work on Spartan Ops really. It was slated by some but I mostly hear people say they liked it but sometimes it repetitive But it was better than this current Warzone Firefight. The concept of Spartan Ops was really good. How much better would it be if each Free DLC in Halo 5 was another part of the story"? Less time spent on weapon skins and stupid armour and variations of the same weapons. The UNSC is supposed to be an army so let us go fight and look like soldiers, ODST's and UNSC forces we don't need Disco Guns and Armour and Halo is Master Chief nobody asked to forced to play with Ai's that I saw or heard.

They should make you work as a team as if it was side missions, but each player has a trait only they can use, clamber, smashing walls, scanning artefacts, placing bombs, carrying out assassinations. And you could play as the enemy (Covenant) anyway, playing as a Solider might be fun.
I do not care.
Nah
Marcos94 wrote:
Seriously. It seems like they're trying to add to the multiplayer experience by making it canon, when in reality, it seems like it does the exact opposite and limits everything. Most notably the ability to play elites.

Do you want multiplayer to be canon? Does it really matter at all?
Honestly I don't really mind. I'd rather have a great multiplayer that everyone's happy with than a multiplayer that 343 put limits on to keep it canon :\
No, I don't care for it being canon.
It is fun to think about, but it is frustrating, no matter how you veiw it. The reason is that players can't revive eachother, so it's instant death. If players could revive a fallen teammate, than it would be more enjoyable.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 7
  4. 8
  5. 9
  6. 10
  7. ...
  8. 11