Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Doom-style editor

OP katarn343

I know that whatever they have planned for Forge is what they will ship, regardless of any thread or fan opinion. However, I just felt like doing this. Frank said a good while ago that Forge has been revamped. Imagine a Doom-level editor for Halo 5. You could create your own missions, scenery, and basically completely new events for Halo 5. Set weapons, structures, enemies, allies, etc. And you'd be able to use any REQ card you have unlocked in your map, such as weapons and armor, and even assign weapons to the AI. I know I'm daydreaming, but we know that it isn't an impossible feat. Perhaps Halo 5 will surprise us.
nah it's traditionally always the case to basically deny this joy. Fighting AI in your own forged scenarios was always a definite no no claimed to be just to difficult and despite how great this obviously would have been, Bungie continued to show us the finger. I very much doubt 343 will go the extra either but who knows. I wouldn't hold your breath though even it were as they'd likely make it online activated only like the 360 version of Spartan ops- which is still not playable offline

Forge is such a great tool but it would be something else if we could forge AI into it
nah it's traditionally always the case to basically deny this joy. Fighting AI in your own forged scenarios was always a definite no no claimed to be just to difficult and despite how great this obviously would have been, Bungie continued to show us the finger. I very much doubt 343 will go the extra either but who knows. I wouldn't hold your breath though even it were as they'd likely make it online activated only like the 360 version of Spartan ops- which is still not playable offline

Forge is such a great tool but it would be something else if we could forge AI into it
Absolutely. Such a shame, too.

I'm no Forger, but I know I'd be building race maps with enemy AI in the environment. And a ctf game where you have no weapons, and youre forced to parkour and avoid sword elites.
And...another race map...on Moas :0
CH4RK wrote:

Absolutely. Such a shame, too.

I'm no Forger, but I know I'd be building race maps with enemy AI in the environment. And a ctf game where you have no weapons, and youre forced to parkour and avoid sword elites.
And...another race map...on Moas :0
yeah that sounds great, endless fun basically and I'm sure a lot of folk would buy Halo for this alone. Ah well back to dreaming

Well anyone can hope to dream even with scripts and spawns.
Would be really awesome but the thing about doom is that i think that design is very easy and lazy. They just give everyone pieces that fit together (room pieces) and then you build a map of connecting tons of them. So the building part is really lazy and i feel like halo could do way way more.

I do like however how they add ai and scripting elements like when you spawn a boss and stuff. I think if forge ever becomes something great then i could imagine them doing that.

Who needs firefight or spartan ops when hopefully in the future you can just build them how you want with tons of options. I eventually want forge to be great enough that maps could be and look as good as dev maps. I'm a forger and i love it =]
Yes! Finally! Someone who gets that a map editor like the new Snapmap editor for Doom 4 would be 20 million times better than that forge system we have now! Genius!

id could do it, it's not that hard!
Would be really awesome but the thing about doom is that i think that design is very easy and lazy. They just give everyone pieces that fit together (room pieces) and then you build a map of connecting tons of them. So the building part is really lazy and i feel like halo could do way way more.

I do like however how they add ai and scripting elements like when you spawn a boss and stuff. I think if forge ever becomes something great then i could imagine them doing that.

Who needs firefight or spartan ops when hopefully in the future you can just build them how you want with tons of options. I eventually want forge to be great enough that maps could be and look as good as dev maps. I'm a forger and i love it =]
I easily say the same thing about your bland, stupid forge pallet.
Yes! Finally! Someone who gets that a map editor like the new Snapmap editor for Doom 4 would be 20 million times better than that forge system we have now! Genius!
Its not even close dude lol. Its literally placing room pieces down like the building pieces in forge. You think that a step ahead when halo actually has way more depth to it. Trust me forge we have no is a blessing compared to doom. Read my reply above of why. You must not forge a lot or else you would have realised its not that great.

Yea... sadly but now that I remember why don't we get modders to put that in, we download their file share and done. Lol but seriously mod the hell out of this game if we have to. :l. Other than that oh well until forge is fully revealed we have no clue.
Talk of modding a game is punishable by death in this forumn, I'd suggest you refrain from mentioning modding a console game here.
Its not even close dude lol. Its literally placing room pieces down like the building pieces in forge. You think that a step ahead when halo actually has way more depth to it. Trust me forge we have no is a blessing compared to doom. Read my reply above of why. You must not forge a lot or else you would have realised its not that great.
Bull. We've been making wads for twenty frickin' years, and I can say your "forge" is a kids toy compared to our engine.
Bull. We've been making wads for twenty frickin' years, and I can say your "forge" is a kids toy compared to our engine.
Maby halo could have ai in forge if they were as horribly programed and as bad a shot as the ai in doom. Also halo could have the same map editor so long as you like walking through the same rooms over and over again...
What? What is a "wad" and what do you mean by "our engine"?
katarn343 wrote:
I know that whatever they have planned for Forge is what they will ship, regardless of any thread or fan opinion. However, I just felt like doing this. Frank said a good while ago that Forge has been revamped. Imagine a Doom-level editor for Halo 5. You could create your own missions, scenery, and basically completely new events for Halo 5. Set weapons, structures, enemies, allies, etc. And you'd be able to use any REQ card you have unlocked in your map, such as weapons and armor, and even assign weapons to the AI. I know I'm daydreaming, but we know that it isn't an impossible feat. Perhaps Halo 5 will surprise us.
at least you're honest. i would love if we got a new doom style map builder instead of a map editor like forge already is. that way if they gave us a decent and easy to access sharing system then they could get away with not giving us firefight, or spartan ops 2, although an actual SO2 would be better than community made missions as SO2 would be canon and could advance the story with awesome cut-scenes and all the jazz. but still sending spartans on other missions (the community ones) where we could be doing all sorts of stuff. as for custom games... how do spartans do RnR... low grav games of catch on floating bricks in space with an exploding skull and random explosive barrels
katarn343 wrote:
at least you're honest. i would love if we got a new doom style map builder instead of a map editor like forge already is. that way if they gave us a decent and easy to access sharing system then they could get away with not giving us firefight, or spartan ops 2, although an actual SO2 would be better than community made missions as SO2 would be canon and could advance the story with awesome cut-scenes and all the jazz. but still sending spartans on other missions (the community ones) where we could be doing all sorts of stuff. as for custom games... how do spartans do RnR... low grav games of catch on floating bricks in space with an exploding skull and random explosive barrels
I completely disagree with you saying "map builder instead of a map editor like forge already is". They could easily ADD to forge instead of removing it from something with way less potential. Dooms builder is cool but its not nearly as good as forge. All dooms builder is building pieces like in h5 but you just snap them together. There is no creativity to it because its just hallway based. So everyone will have very similar or the same map just with different scripted encounters.

Also all of the doom maps will look the same as well. At least forge gives you the option to makes themes. Trust me, they have put too much time into making forge to just scrap it for something way less.
katarn343 wrote:
I completely disagree with you saying "map builder instead of a map editor like forge already is". They could easily ADD to forge instead of removing it from something with way less potential. Dooms builder is cool but its not nearly as good as forge. All dooms builder is building pieces like in h5 but you just snap them together. There is no creativity to it because its just hallway based. So everyone will have very similar or the same map just with different scripted encounters.

Also all of the doom maps will look the same as well. At least forge gives you the option to makes themes. Trust me, they have put too much time into making forge to just scrap it for something way less.
i said style, not copy, with a map builder mode it would be easier to add ai than it would be to add ai to a map editor. for all we know they have pushed the boat out and sunk the iceberg with it and managed to put ai into the existing forge system and i would love that immensely but at this point im just going to wait and see what we get
katarn343 wrote:

i said style, not copy, with a map builder mode it would be easier to add ai than it would be to add ai to a map editor. for all we know they have pushed the boat out and sunk the iceberg with it and managed to put ai into the existing forge system and i would love that immensely but at this point im just going to wait and see what we get
oh ok you made it sound like you wanted it to replace since you say "instead".

Yea... sadly but now that I remember why don't we get modders to put that in, we download their file share and done. Lol but seriously mod the hell out of this game if we have to. :l. Other than that oh well until forge is fully revealed we have no clue.
Talk of modding a game is punishable by death in this forumn, I'd suggest you refrain from mentioning modding a console game here.
Oki, even though modding is what made forge even possible but okay I'll just go play my games.