Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Driving In Halo 5

OP StormPaladin448

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Does anyone else have a problem driving in Halo 5 sometimes? Or hate when their vehicle gets stuck?

The most difficult vehicle for me to drive is the Mongoose, then the Warthog, then the Ghost.
Not at all, most of the vehicles operate fine, except for the Scorpion which I see people get themselves stuck in more times than I can count. The main difference I see in driving the Mongoose or the Warthog is that you can direct what direction your vehicle flips in mid-air.
It might feel like it's out of control because the terrain is bumpy. When the vehicle is bouncing around or midair it's difficult to steer and correct it. Try to find a more level route when driving and that should help.
I can't turn the scorpion for the life of me, but the rest of the vehicles seem ok in my opinion
I have always felt the base warthog was sort of slow but other then that I don't have too much struggle myself.
Will add another voice for the crappy Scorpion controls. Every other vehicle in Halo 5 has the best controls of any game in the series in my mind.
Uuv wrote:
Not at all, most of the vehicles operate fine, except for the Scorpion which I see people get themselves stuck in more times than I can count. The main difference I see in driving the Mongoose or the Warthog is that you can direct what direction your vehicle flips in mid-air.
I can't turn the scorpion for the life of me, but the rest of the vehicles seem ok in my opinion
tuhin94 wrote:
Will add another voice for the crappy Scorpion controls. Every other vehicle in Halo 5 has the best controls of any game in the series in my mind.
Yeah I agree, sometimes the Scorpion controls can be a little tough to be accurate with. Only other ground vehicle I call in are usually Ghosts or sometimes Wraiths which are pretty straightforward.
I concur. I can drive forward and turn to the left and right just fine. Ask me to turn around and drive forward though then as long as you have a spare 5 minutes I shall do it.
x N7 117 x wrote:
I concur. I can drive forward and turn to the left and right just fine. Ask me to turn around and drive forward though then as long as you have a spare 5 minutes I shall do it.
No doubt, especially difficult when trying to rush.
It might feel like it's out of control because the terrain is bumpy. When the vehicle is bouncing around or midair it's difficult to steer and correct it. Try to find a more level route when driving and that should help.
I agree. I think there is a lot more uneven terrain in the various H5 levels than in previous games.

I also think the Scorpion is tough to drive. Nowhere near as intuitive as a few of the previous games.
StormPaladin448 I absolutely love Halo 5's warthog and think it's by far the best version of it ever !! Any chance I get to use one I'm in. Sounds cool, drives amazing goes exactly where I want it to go. I think you just have to keep in mind that the terrain is actually bumpy and has edges like the world would have and it rips pretty hard so you can't just hold the gas like old slow warthogs. You actually have to drive this one. The gun gooses are a bit bumpy for sure, but again that's just how they would interact with the terrain. Once you get the feel for them they can be quite the handy little weapon.

I did struggle with the tank for the longest time, I actually created a forge map so I could get better at it. I still struggle at times with it, but I think it's generally how I hold the controller. I have big hands and these new age controllers are a bit too small and cramped so I tend to push the stick to the side rather than straight which leads the tank to going in wonky directions. haha. Other than that I love the vehicles in H5. The demo clip from Halo:I left me thinking that the new warthog won't be as much fun to drive though. We shall see.

Just load a map into forge and then spawn in all the vehicles and cruise around. You'll get it in no time. https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-ca/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/map-variants?lastModifiedFilter=Everything&sortOrder=BookmarkCount&page=1&gamertag=ooSnip3r#ugc_halo-5-guardians_xbox-one_mapvariant_ooSnip3r_10cf63a2-3921-4dba-925a-b8e972ada81a Lots of different vehicles to use in this map already.
Vehicles in H5 definitely handle differently than they do in any other Halo game. I think the vehicles are much faster in their base versions and the handling is slightly worse. Not only this, but vehicles tend to flip uncontrollably and sporadically, sometimes a tiny step down is all it takes for a mongoose or warthog to do a barrel roll. Usually it's this change in handling that causes you to get stuck.
The Scorpion can be a pain to drive and I hope it gets fixed in the next game.
I feel like vehicles need more weight to them. Seeing tanks get pushed up due to another smaller vehicle should NOT happen.
Does anyone else have a problem driving in Halo 5 sometimes? Or hate when their vehicle gets stuck?

The most difficult vehicle for me to drive is the Mongoose, then the Warthog, then the Ghost.
learn to use your e brake with goose and hog, all hogs can be controlled when in the air, i frequently take man cannons and land my hog or mongoose perfectly. as for ghosts use both sticks.
zInsurge wrote:
Vehicles in H5 definitely handle differently than they do in any other Halo game. I think the vehicles are much faster in their base versions and the handling is slightly worse. Not only this, but vehicles tend to flip uncontrollably and sporadically, sometimes a tiny step down is all it takes for a mongoose or warthog to do a barrel roll. Usually it's this change in handling that causes you to get stuck.
some mongooses and hogs can be controlled better than others, they all have different mechanics. Learn them.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
The Scorpion can be a pain to drive and I hope it gets fixed in the next game.
theres nothing to fix, learn the vehicle
theres nothing to fix, learn the vehicle
Oh, please. I used the tank on a daily basis in hundreds of games and I'd consider myself pretty decent with it, but I know it has control issues which aren't user error. Don't worry though; your helpful response totally changed my mind. /s
The physics of the vehicles are very weird, sometimes you try to splatter an enemy but you only push it far away... That's the main reason that I have to not use vehicles haha.
Only when it comes to the scorpion, mongoose, and warthog. The scorpion used to have a better control system imo. Back in the original halo 2, the drivetrain would move completely independently of the turret. Now I have to be more engaged with where I am looking in order to maneuver properly, as opposed to halo 2, where you would simply hold the left stick in that direction and the body would execute a turn.

The mongoose and warthog are just not as much fun as they used to be. They always flip or get stock on tiny obstacles (like even terrain changes) that should be a since for any vehicle to clear.

Vehicles like the ghost, wraith, and mantis on the other hand feel outstanding.

I much prefer being a passenger in human vehicles where the bullet magnetism and auto aim combine very well with the tracking ammunition featured with some guns. As a result the needler and the suppressor are very powerful but it's not just limited to that. Even the ar and br are pretty spectacular from the passenger seat.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2