Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Everything Great About Halo 5's Campaign

OP Arc Trooper 48

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Now, ya'll who know me know I'm no great lover of Halo 5, but it is fair to say there is some good stuff, if perhaps simply good in concept. I'm weird, but I liked Fireteam Osiris. Sure, they weren't the best characters, but I think the right writer could salvage them. I like how Locke is a good guy in pretty much every way that matters. While the sinister ONI hunter from the ads would have been interesting, it's nice to have a post-war Halo character who isn't a colossal -Yoink-. He changes with the situation and doesn't let prejuice (you see this with his dealings with the innies and the Sangheili) detract from his mission. Buck's Buck, no argument here. Vale's ok, but I would have liked to see her Sangheili knowledge become more relevant. People hate on Tanaka, but her take no -Yoink- attitude and down-to-earth mannerisms won me over. She tells it like it is.

The weapons down missions are a good concept, but they'd probably be better served as mid-mission reprieves from combat rather than standalone missions. Same goes for the squad mechanics. Now, Republic Commando did it better (and in 2005), but I'd really like to see it refined and improved in Halo 6 if teams of four return for the campaign. Let's see, what else? Sanghelios was a good diversion from the main story even though it eventually had to deal with Cortana and the Guardians again. Nice environments, a blast to see the Sangheili Blooding Years explored in a main game if but briefly. The Intel is a concept I want to see comeback, though with perhaps fewer joke entries. The stuff about the Sangheili brothers on the Swords side and Covenant side was gripping stuff. However, bring back terminals, they were a great way to visual inform players about deeper aspects of the lore that the Intel just couldn't.

Eh, that's kinda it for me. There is too much wrong with Halo 5 in my opinion. I don't think it gets too much hate or more hate than it deserves. It made a lot of glaring mistakes 343 is going to have to deal with and I hope they learned their lessons.
Level design of the H5 campaign was absolutely improved over Halo 4. The sanghelios levels were breathtaking. The campaign had some great set pieces, the game play was also a whole lot better than 4 in terms of fun. Many things are outweighed by the negatives, so unfortunately, I have to state the negatives.

1: Too much background chatter between the teams. Yes, I know, they need to coordinate. However, many times, it feels overbearing. Its fine too have it, however it is too much. Adding to this...the in cutscene dialogue was just pure cringe a lot of the time. Especially the first one with Osiris.
2: Not enough freedom or variety: This is again improved over H4, however replaying the levels it is almost the same every time with a few exceptions. It felt very on rails.
3: Story. Everyone knows whats wrong here. With or without the hunt the truth hype.
4: Blue team. No need to expand on this, they were not utilised enough, if at all.
5: The "fight". All it amounted to was a lack of communication between both parties. Locke wasnt the ONI assassin bad guy and chief wasn't crazy AWOL.
6. Warden eternal....

Of course, we can tease out the good bits. However the reason why this campaign copped so much criticism was due to the overly high amount of negatives. Also, did I mention that the campaign was only 4 hours long? It only took me around 10 hours to do the whole thing on legendary while getting all skulls and intels...
I didn't find any non sanghelios mission's visually stunning,even genesis which is supposed to just be extravagant,I found just above average and actually thought requiem looked better as a forerunner installation.Visually I did like sanghelios and I did like running down the guardian
I already know that there's gonna be more spam from our good sir beeb a few posts above, but for now I'll just say this: 5's campaign was incredibly underrated. The story was lacking at first (and still is compared to Reach or 4) but literally everything else is near perfect. The music beats every track from previous games, easily. Almost all of the weapons are fairly balanced. The environments are absolutely beautiful and might just be my favorite part of the game; I've always wanted to see this game incorporate Mass Effect elements, and while I definitely don't want the game to be an RPG it was great to have the ability to go through multiple worlds and admire them.

In short, the campaign is still problematic but has way more to offer than a lot of people make it out to have.
Near perfect? I just don't know how to argue that
I already know that there's gonna be more spam from our good sir beeb a few posts above, but for now I'll just say this: 5's campaign was incredibly underrated. The story was lacking at first (and still is compared to Reach or 4) but literally everything else is near perfect. The music beats every track from previous games, easily. Almost all of the weapons are fairly balanced. The environments are absolutely beautiful and might just be my favorite part of the game; I've always wanted to see this game incorporate Mass Effect elements, and while I definitely don't want the game to be an RPG it was great to have the ability to go through multiple worlds and admire them.

In short, the campaign is still problematic but has way more to offer than a lot of people make it out to have.
Near perfect? I just don't know how to argue that
Yeah, I find comments like that to be almost as bad as the ones saying Halo 5's story had nothing good. One imagines you could provide examples it if is near perfect.
There is nothing good about Halo 5's campaign.
um um um

Spoiler:
Show
This is the reason I made this thread. Too many people believe halo 5's campaign literally has NOTHING to offer, which just isn't true.
That's totally subjective though,you think halo 5 has a good canpaign,while I strongly disagree I feel it has very few good things and it all starts with the story imo.You can't convince people like that when their mind is already made up
The only redeeming qualities to the campaign is exuberent witness and buck imo. Not even blue teams missions or sanghelios gave the game any charm for me.
um um um

Spoiler:
Show
This is the reason I made this thread. Too many people believe halo 5's campaign literally has NOTHING to offer, which just isn't true.
That's totally subjective though,you think halo 5 has a good canpaign,while I strongly disagree I feel it has very few good things and it all starts with the story imo.You can't convince people like that when their mind is already made up
No, I don't think halo 5 had a good campaign. I know the story was trash and speaking generally, I liked Halo 4's gameplay more. I made the thread because I was starting to think halo fans had become a hive mind regarding halo 5's campaign, thinking there was nothing good with it, and I was proven right. I'm positive all non-biased halo fans can find a few things they liked about halo 5's campaign.
Campaign Level 4: Greatest Level in campaign history.

Not just Halo either, it's the GOAT in any game's campaign. Period! I must have killed thousands of covenant and dozens of battle cruisers. The story develops faster than when you were fighting your way through High Charity. My god I'm in awe of its greatness.
I liked Xubie.

She's purple, adorable, and nice.

Unlike rampent guilty spark... poor guy... (hes still alive btw, kinda...)
For me, one of the best Halo campaigns :)
I enjoyed most of it. Not nearly as much as Reach's campaign though.
Not enough Blue Team and the story needed to be fleshed out a little more. I did like the squad-based combat.
MAX2107 wrote:
Not enough Blue Team and the story needed to be fleshed out a little more. I did like the squad-based combat.
How come you're a Spartan and I've never seen you here before?
If you're just going to say, "Nothing was good about H5's campaign" or some variant there isn't really a need to comment. It's okay not to like something, but you have to put some effort into it. There is also a thread for what you didn't like about the campaign here; so negative stuff can go in that thread and positive stuff can go in this one.

For me, I still feel the story was incredibly lacking (and I've gone on a tangent before) that being said after a few replays I've come to like several of the levels including the sanghelli home world levels, blue team, and reunion.
I enjoy finding some of the hidden paths and hidden weapons.
The spot where you run down the back of the guardian remains a great set piece.
The juxtaposition of the overly flashy opening cut scene with blue team's overall cool intro brought a smile to my face.
I also get a kick out of exuberant witness.
Other positives include the Promethean's being better balanced imo.
Isn't that link just things you don't like in Halo 5 in general? It's not campaign specific just to be clear to everyone.

This Thread is about the positives of the campaign but I don't really see a problem with putting both your thoughts here but you need to be a little more constructive than that bud.
I liked how Swords of Sanghelios defeated Jul's Covenant.
First encounter with Warden was awezome.
Covenant and Promeathan dialogue was better than before.
Almost only thing that I missed was Didact.
Shoulder charging enemies off cliffs (especially while playing as Kelly on Blue; its as close to "being the fastest human alive" as we're likely to get).
I also really liked that we got to see A) a glassed planet, up close, and B) Sangheilios.
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Beacuse the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3