Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Fellow Oceanic players, Halo 5 is now unplayable!

OP Jutang 92

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
The recent matchmaking changes, specifically the lifting of region restrictions, have effectively rendered our local servers useless.

Since the recent update, Im constantly finding games on foreign servers and its been a laggy mess. If the issue is not resolved, i fear the Australian and Nee Zealand community will die out and the Halo franchise will suffer.

Please help us bring this matter to 343s attention.
They need to reverse the matchmaking changes as it negatively impacts the international player base as well as the American playerbase who have to now play with foriegn players.

This was a horrible mistake on 343s part. What is the point of deticated servers if matchmaking prioritizes fast games over good connection?

I fear with the release of Black ops 3 and upcoming Battlefront, in addition to these changes will push many international players away from this game.

I for one have already expressed to my friends that Halo 5 is 343s last chance to make things right with the Australian and New Zealand community. They were doing well at first, but the changes have effectively ruined the online component of the game.

We pay hard earned money for this product yet we are now enjoying it much less than American players. It is an unfair and short sighted decision.

Please help bring awareness to this issue so that it is rectified quickly and we can move on to playing and enjoying the game.
Keep in mind this is a time sensitive matter. The long it takes for 343 to address this issue, the more players ditch the franchise for the new releases in November and December like Black ops and Battlefront.

Please help bring this to 343s attention.

I dont post much on forums and reddit, but this is a HUGE deal for Australians who have been enjoying the game up until two days ago.
if Halo 5 MP turns into the laggy mess of previous Halos for nonUS players I won't be sticking around.
Just some acknowledgement and timeframe of fixing the issue would really put alot of us at ease here.
fundays wrote:
if Halo 5 MP turns into the laggy mess of previous Halos for nonUS players I won't be sticking around.
Same here man. They dont seem to understand the consequences of these types of decisions. They are alienating an entire community.

And AT THE SAME TIME as Black Ops 3's release!!!! Its like they are asking nonUS players to leave the game behind and move on to other franchises.... franchises that actually treat us better.

My friends already ditched halo 5 and are now playing black ops 3. Theyre getting perfect connection games and i gotta say.... im tempted.

But ive loved Halo 5 so far and i dont want to see it turn into an unplayable mess for Australians and New Zealanders like Halo 4 became.
fundays wrote:
Just some acknowledgement and timeframe of fixing the issue would really put alot of us at ease here.
It really would. Considering they didn't address similar issues in halo 4 makes me very nervous. If they ignore this issue, i along with many Australians will be saying goodbye to this franchise. We've been screwed over way too much before by 343.

Halo 4 - No local search or local servers.
Halo MCC - Still barely works in Australia.
Halo 5 - Regional restrictions have been lifted effectively rendering the sydney server as useless.

I cant keep justifying spending money on this franchise when i feel like im getting scammed two weeks after launch.
Jutang 92 wrote:
The recent matchmaking changes, specifically the lifting of region restrictions, have effectively rendered our local servers useless.

Since the recent update, Im constantly finding games on foreign servers and its been a laggy mess. If the issue is not resolved, i fear the Australian and Nee Zealand community will die out and the Halo franchise will suffer.

They need to reverse the matchmaking changes as it negatively impacts the international player base as well as the American playerbase who have to now play with foriegn players.

This was a horrible mistake on 343s part. What is the point of deticated servers if matchmaking prioritizes fast games over good connection?

I fear with the release of Black ops 3 and upcoming Battlefront, in addition to these changes will push many international players away from this game.

I for one have already expressed to my friends that Halo 5 is 343s last chance to make things right with the Australian and New Zealand community. They were doing well at first, but the changes have effectively ruined the online component of the game.

We pay hard earned money for this product yet we are now enjoying it much less than American players. It is an unfair and short sighted decision.

Please help bring awareness to this issue so that it is rectified quickly and we can move on to playing and enjoying the game.
How do you know what server you are on? I'm just curious.
When did they make the change? I was playing last night and found it no different than launch with virtually no lag. I think they should do like in previous games where you can set your own preference aka speed vs quality.
usually hearing Mexicans or US players in voice chat instead of Aussies and having a noticeably higher latency as in regional games.
Jutang 92 wrote:

Really? I find it HEAPS better. before the update, I couldn't party with most of my company because if you tried to party with anyone outside of Australia you got the "Cannot connect to the server because one or more players has high latency". But since the update, I had near full fireteams last night for Warzone made up of Aussies, US guys and a couple from UK. A couple of slight laggy moments (and there weren't many or any really bad ones) is a small trade off for being able to get full parties in game now.
Jutang 92 wrote:

Because:
1. Im hearing americans on game chat.
2. For the first time since launch, I'm experiencing lag and latency such as grenades leaving my hands 2 whole seconds after they should be, getting shot after i turn a corner, and not having my shots register properly.
3. Im not the only one with this issue, it is being reported by many Australians and nonUS players on reddit and twitter.
Being in an American game doesn't mean you will have slight moments of lag, the entire game will be a moment of lag.
Stray2615 wrote:
Really? I find it HEAPS better. before the update, I couldn't party with most of my company because if you tried to party with anyone outside of Australia you got the "Cannot connect to the server because one or more players has high latency". But since the update, I had near full fireteams last night for Warzone made up of Aussies, US guys and a couple from UK. A couple of slight laggy moments (and there weren't many or any really bad ones) is a small trade off for being able to get full parties in game now.
For competitive players who value good connection, its a huge trade off.

Connecting to a local server in australia gets you below 50 ping. Connecting to an American server gets you 200+ ping. If you dont notice the huge difference, youre not looking hard enough.

Most Australians play locally and would prefer to wait a little longer to play quality matches rather than wait mere seconds to play laggy matches on foriegn servers.

The lack of local search option in halo 4 caused the Australian community to die out 2 weeks after launch.... the same will happen here if it isnt fixed asap.
keep alienating customers that dont live in the Americas and halo 5 mp might tank just like the previous title. There might be fewer halo players in countries outside the Americas but with so many countries it adds up to a substantial playerbase.
Jutang 92 wrote:
Stray2615 wrote:

Connecting to a local server in australia gets you below 50 ping. Connecting to an American server gets you 200+ ping. If you dont notice the huge difference, youre not looking hard enough.

Most Australians play locally and would prefer to wait a little longer to play quality matches rather than wait mere seconds to play laggy matches on foriegn servers.

The lack of local search option in halo 4 caused the Australian community to die out 2 weeks after launch.... the same will happen here if it isnt fixed asap.
Perfect system would be if we could pick server like Titanfall, and parties could still connect to servers if they are from all over. But given a choice between old system and the new one, I'd pick this one everyday of the week. I hated having to play solo or in a fireteam of 2 - 3 when there are heaps more of my friends list playing but because of the latency thing I couldn't team with them. And the lag we experienced last night really was negligible, I don't know if the fact I'm on the real NBN (100 speed) helped, but the small spikes were well worth it for full team assaults in Warzone.
Being in an American game doesn't mean you will have slight moments of lag, the entire game will be a moment of lag.
EXACTLY!

Your opponents will see your first. Will shoot you first. Your grenades will be delayed. Your shots will not register at the same time you shoot them. You will be shot through walls and around cover because, while on your screen you are safe, on your opponents screen you havent jumped in cover fully yet.

For non-casual competitive players, it is a huge issue. It ruins the game experience.

Hard earned money spent on a game that functions poorly. And it didnt have to be this way! Why did they essentially turn off our local servers?

Im hearing complaint of Australians who are getting matched with Americans on Saturday at 7pm. Thats like peek hour for gaming and yet the matchmaking is still putting us on foriegn servers.
Stray2615 wrote:
Jutang 92 wrote:
Stray2615 wrote:

Perfect system would be if we could pick server like Titanfall, and parties could still connect to servers if they are from all over. But given a choice between old system and the new one, I'd pick this one everyday of the week. I hated having to play solo or in a fireteam of 2 - 3 when there are heaps more of my friends list playing but because of the latency thing I couldn't team with them. And the lag we experienced last night really was negligible, I don't know if the fact I'm on the real NBN (100 speed) helped, but the small spikes were well worth it for full team assaults in Warzone.
It helps warzone players like you who think the lag is a good trade off for playing with foriegn friends. But it screws the rest of us over. The rest of us want good quality connections over fast matching and foreign playmates.

This decision favours a minority over the majority l. Majority of Australians who play arena at least, prefer good connection over fast matching any day.

At least give us the option to choose our server. What is the point of a deticated server if it isnt being used any more?
fundays wrote:
keep alienating customers that dont live in the Americas and halo 5 mp might tank just like the previous title. There might be fewer halo players in countries outside the Americas but with so many countries it adds up to a substantial playerbase.
Yep. They think Halo 4 simply died because of the game mechanics. They dont realise maybe its because the international community decided to take their money elsewhere.

Halo 5 will tank if this isnt resolved. I want this issue to blow up so it is addressed quickly, because i care about the longetivity of this game. But 343i might sweep it under the rug again like they did with MCC and 4.
That sucks for the people across the pond, you have my sympathies. :/
That sucks for the people across the pond, you have my sympathies. :/
Cheers man. Too bad 343i doesnt seem to give a crap. We got screwed in their last 2 games too.

Why cant they just keep the same options as bungirs titles?
Both halo 3 and reach had good connection priority options.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4