Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Finally played infection... and its ruined.

OP KrypticSlaughtr

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
343 seriously -Yoinked!- up infection.

Infection was never about "oh lets rush the power weapons scattered around the maps and go find the zombies" as it is now, it was about hiding with a pistol and shotgun that had no spare ammo.
The infected were supposed to be hard to run from since they had increased speed etc, now they are a lumbering easy to kill boring mess.
Even halo 4 had better infection and it was horrible.
Meh, I disagree. Halo 5 Infection feels a lot more hectic and diverse. Past Infection was nothing more than camping in an obscure, often glitched/exploit area for the whole round.
Not really, thats like saying resident evil wold be more fun with unlimited items and a chaingun.
I like Infection now because it's much harder as a survivor, and harder to win in general since zombies are practically stronger in point gain and in speed.
If u hate it that bad just tweak the setting and make your own public custom lobby. If it's as great as you claim then you shouldn't have a probable getting people in your matches.
Meh, I disagree. Halo 5 Infection feels a lot more hectic and diverse. Past Infection was nothing more than camping in an obscure, often glitched/exploit area for the whole round.
I wholeheartedly second this; when I played Halo 5's Infection for the first time, getting killed by an infected player would always make me jolt and scream as I join their ranks. Even now, it's a great way to blow off some steam and screw around with a bunch of your friends.
343 seriously -Yoinked!- up infection.

Infection was never about "oh lets rush the power weapons scattered around the maps and go find the zombies" as it is now, it was about hiding with a pistol and shotgun that had no spare ammo.
The infected were supposed to be hard to run from since they had increased speed etc, now they are a lumbering easy to kill boring mess.
Even halo 4 had better infection and it was horrible.
Oh please, the reach infection was terrible as well. Friendly fire enabled, no boot betrayal, and exploits. Not to mention that the point/infection's system for picking starting zombies was terrible and was purely based on RNG. You could be alpha 3 rounds in a row and end up going negative because of it. Reach infection was broken as hell, giving players the option to boot for legitimate survivor v infected kills. (and even when that was patched, Team killing ran rampant. Hell, I even team killed for quite a while in infected with a party solely just to trigger people.)

"BUT TEAMKILLING IS DISABLED NOW IN INFECTION FOR REACH"

Hahahah no. The fact that it took bungie a FULL YEAR to even address this problem of griefing just shows how much of a copy/paste infection was when transitioning from halo 3 to halo reach. 343i at least came to their senses and stopped the teamkill glitch in halo 4, and the camping issue in halo 5. (not saying 343i is better than Bungie. I loved my time on halo 3 and reach way more than I did with halo 4 and 5, but that doesn't change the fact that the infection gamemode was pretty much left unpolished at the time.)

"BUT YOU TEAMKILLED TOO!"

Your point being? It shouldn't matter if I did it or not, what matters is how the issue was addressed, and it was done near the end of reach's lifetime.

As for "increased speed" Um... No? Both reach and 4 had problems of camping (halo 4 making it worse with the camo). 10% extra speed does next to nothing in Alpha infection, the gamemode that everyone voted for in reach because nobody could have been bothered to deal with zombies using evade, or running to "safe haven". (Back when safe haven was in rotation for infection.)

Also, about your "limited ammo" Claim, specifically in reach's infection... hmm... I wonder if I can get my ammo back by dying to a fusion coil explosion, or a teammate... oh wait.. I can! (In all seriousness, exploits like this negated the problems of running low on ammo, and sometimes even made it easier to survive. Again, this goes back to my point on how exploits ruined reach's infection. (Yes, I know halo 5 infection maps have map exploits, but my point is that reach's exploits weren't addressed until much later on down the line, where it was too late, as most of the damage was already done.)

In short: While I still don't agree with Halo 5's choices for the infection gamemode entirely, they are least addressed some of the issues I had with infection in the past. 343i didn't screw up infection, they just fixed some exploits and changed things to encourage players to run around the map, rather than camp in some dark hallway with only 1 entrance like in sword base.

Edit: After boot betrayal was disabled, team killing hit an all time high. Should have clarified on that. Regardless though, it was still a major problem in infection.
H2 Infection is still my favorite.
I think h5 infection plays really well and is my second favorite, behind reach of course
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post comments that are discriminatory in nature.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I don't mind the power weapons because they don't spawn with as much ammo. I do kind of agree that it's not my favourite just because the zombies shouldn't have armour abilities IMO.
I don't mind fast zombies.

But remove...
evasive moves.
Camo
Only thing that pisses me off in infection is the melee lunges which can have ridiculous range, but since that mechanic is part of the game in addition to ADS increasing lunge range, i have to deal with it.
For me what ruins Halo 5's Infection is people who quit when they get Infected. Seriously, it happens every game. Why are you playing Infection if you can't handle getting Infected?
Easy to run from? What?!?!?! I playing HALO 3 infection and reach and are those so easy to survive in. Survivors have almost unlimited ammo. Infected in 3 are in basic walking towards you and are soooo easy to kill. 5 has a nice balanced gamemode survivors "CAN" win but it takes a lot. getting the jump on player in 5 early on also helps.
you get a sense of fear when your shotgun is empty and all you got left is a AR. though rage quitters are pains. no team damage and only little glitch spots.
I find HALO 5 more fun to play.
The few games Ive played over the past two days 75% of the time the survivors win and that -Yoink- gets boring. Especially when the same tool goes for the same power weapon and camps in the same spot.
I do quite like Infection in Halo 5, but I wish they'd also give us some more classic variants to play. Infection in Bungie's games always had multiple gametypes/settings, why can't we have the same here?
I'm not an infection guy, in general. However, I have played infection at least a little on each game its available on over the years, and I think Halo 5 is very competitive, if not the best, iteration of it.
FORGE PLAY wrote:
I don't mind fast zombies.

But remove...
evasive moves.
Camo
If you do that, then add shields so that the infected aren't straight up cannon fodder like they were in reach.
Hotrod192 wrote:
I do quite like Infection in Halo 5, but I wish they'd also give us some more classic variants to play. Infection in Bungie's games always had multiple gametypes/settings, why can't we have the same here?
Same here. I love Halo 5's infection but we need a few more gamemodes in it.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3