Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Fire Fight frustration: Attack on bad-time

OP AliasComrade

So I want to pose a little question to the Halo community concerning Firefight:

Is it just me, or is Attack on Sanctum utterly ridiculous?

I swear I have more losses on this map than any other. It just has so many ungodly difficult objectives compared to the other maps! The double Wardens, the Goblins, the Banshees, the Mantis-Soldiers (The macaroni armsmen or whatever they're called), the final objectives of quad Knights, Daz-Shul and co, and in my opinion the worst of them all, the double Knights and double Warden bundle deal. I honestly think I've only ever beaten this once, but even then I'm not sure if I have ever beaten it.

Case in point: I just finished up a game where we had no less than five Scorpions, all working in tangent to wipe out the Wardens and knock out the Knights, and we still got utterly stomped, with a Knight and Warden still alive on the field.

I honestly want to know if this is just a case of me needing to git gud, or if these objectives are genuinely unbalanced.

Linked pic is related. The brave souls who rolled out in Scorpions only to be wiped out (I was the Woodland in the back)
I totally agree with ya on this. Another map that seems utterly ridiculous to me is Raid on Apex 7, because of it's sheer size. If you roll in a Scorpion it may take you a whole round to get it to where the fight is-while I understand the Scorpion is slow, this is ridiculous because the bosses spawn all over the map.
Another complaint on Raid On Apex 7 Warzone Firefight-Round 2 Banshee Raider spawns. Everyone is REQ level 2, maybe 3, and the Raiders can two-shot you with their cannons. This makes even Warthogs ineffective against them.
FTB Taterz wrote:
I totally agree with ya on this. Another map that seems utterly ridiculous to me is Raid on Apex 7, because of it's sheer size. If you roll in a Scorpion it may take you a whole round to get it to where the fight is-while I understand the Scorpion is slow, this is ridiculous because the bosses spawn all over the map.
Another complaint on Raid On Apex 7 Warzone Firefight-Round 2 Banshee Raider spawns. Everyone is REQ level 2, maybe 3, and the Raiders can two-shot you with their cannons. This makes even Warthogs ineffective against them.
I don't have as many problems with A7 BUT I will agree on the Scorpion thing and that the round 2 banshees are an almost guaranteed loss. Another one for that map is the double round two Knights. They kilo my alpha every time I go up against them.
The quadruple Mantises are a bone-crushing nightmare, especially the one inside the garage.
HaXoR73 wrote:
The quadruple Mantises are a bone-crushing nightmare, especially the one inside the garage.
I honestly die a little inside every time they show up, man.
HaXoR73 wrote:
I honestly die a little inside every time they show up, man.
I do have this theoretical solution for that one Mantis: Using a Wasp or Phaeton, head to the garage opening in the roof. As the Mantis falls in, you "scoop" it out and away from the building.

I have yet to try it out, though...
I quite like the Mantis bosses, personally. They require teamwork and are actually quite easy if you get everyone to focus fire on each one, one at a time. The Knights are a pain though. I know it's game over when they spawn in.
I quite like the Mantis bosses, personally. They require teamwork and are actually quite easy if you get everyone to focus fire on each one, one at a time. The Knights are a pain though. I know it's game over when they spawn in.
Part of the problem for me may be that I roll alone quite often when it comes to the mantis then. Its rare that we get a team that all works cohesively. Maybe if I played with a group of friends that could coordinate we'd have better luck, who knows?

I feel that the difficult objective are a detriment to the map though. Rather than thinking "Alright lets do some firefight!" when I get Sanctum, a pit of dread forms in my stomach and there's usually an audible groan.
Agree to some extent but the Apex round 2 Banshees are the worst by a very very long way
Its just unballanced

I swear I have more losses on this map than any other. It just has so many ungodly difficult objectives compared to the other maps! The double Wardens, the Goblins, the Banshees, the Mantis-Soldiers (The macaroni armsmen or whatever they're called), the final objectives of quad Knights, Daz-Shul and co, and in my opinion the worst of them all, the double Knights and double Warden bundle deal. I honestly think I've only ever beaten this once, but even then I'm not sure if I have ever beaten it.

Case in point: I just finished up a game where we had no less than five Scorpions, all working in tangent to wipe out the Wardens and knock out the Knights, and we still got utterly stomped, with a Knight and Warden still alive on the field.

I honestly want to know if this is just a case of me needing to git gud, or if these objectives are genuinely unbalanced.

Linked pic is related. The brave souls who rolled out in Scorpions only to be wiped out (I was the Woodland in the back)
One thing that helps with that objective is not shooting the orbs that release the wardens until all knights are dead. The knight mobs continue to spawn until they are all dead and when the wardens spawn they also spawn a bunch of additional mobs.

IMO Attack on Sanctum is the easiest map.

• Firefight almost always follow a path on the map. You start at the desert side for Rounds 1 and 2, you start migrating towards the Temple in Round 3, and you end upon the grassy side on Rounds 4 and 5. You can already predict where things will spawn, even if you don't know what the Round actually is.
  • Really wide open, more than any other map
  • Four vehicle bays. Stormbreak, Darkstar & ARC have 3, Every other map has two.
  • Even the top of the temple gets used for 2 relatively weak Wardens, and the bottom of the temple gets used for easy defense.
  • Best part, no Home Base fights
The worst part is the some odd "crap round" like the 4 Mantises on the field or the Wardens + Knight combo, but even the latter round is still better than the final rounds on some maps. Sanctum was actually clearly made for WZFF.

Just take a look at the layout of that last round. All the enemies are at one corner of the map. They are away from the Home Base and the garage vehicle bay has easy access. While you're shooting the Knights, the Wardens are suspended in the air and do not attack. This Round has one wave that allow you to choose when to fight the Warden in a unique way, take out the balls around the section to drop them. You can take the Knights first and then drop the Wardens to provide a safer battle, or drop them in the beginning to damage them all at once. But it's much better than fighting one wave, waiting 10 seconds, and then fighting the next wave somewhere else like every other map.

And on top of that, look at the variance between final Rounds on maps. Just about every other map has about 2 or 3 choices for Round 5, and they are either Grunt Goblins or Home Base Wardens. Sanctum?

• Defeat 4 Knights on top of Garage (not very difficult with a Tank & Ultra Wraith)
  • Defeat Banshees and 4 Wraiths around the map (time taking but not difficult with vehicles)
  • Knights & Warden combo (difficult but not impossible)
  • Defend 3 Cores (Laughably easy)
Attack on Sanctum should be the Silver Standard (not Gold, there are still problems) for Halo 5's Firefight maps. Almost none of them can compare.
Its tough but doable

Source: done it before
On Heroic, it's not that hard all at. The Wardens at the top temple are the weak versions of them and the Grunt Mech is doable even in the earlier rounds just with Ghosts. The hardest rounds would be the 4 Mantises or Knights since they can go inside the base, but you can hit the interior base ones through the door opening on the side.

The map actually has my favorite FF round which is the round 5 defend the Forerunner structures. It's not too hard and it has the classic feel with various enemies dropping in, but it's different than the other maps because you can move around more freely. I just find that round fun.
Supposed to have some challenge to it. If more people used mics and would coordinate with each other you would see that it's easier that way. Vehicles are a key to that map. Especially if you can work together. I solo queue and with the quad mantis objective I saw two players spawned tanks so I quickly spawned a spitfire and would emp the mantis as they destroyed them. Team work goes a long way.
Sometimes there are boss sections which I know can be done extremely easy if my teammates weren't so clueless. Like, take the double Knight and Warden final boss fight as an example. You do not, under any circumstances, release the Wardens from their little bubble or whatever until after the Knights are dead. It's so simple and it makes that fight so easier as you have less enemies to focus on, but nooooo, you want to kill everything at once, and thus you get us all killed and we lose.

I will say that some certain bosses can be a -Yoink- to fight against regardless. The 4 Mantises and the final "defend the relics" immediately come to mind. I like that little touch they did with one of the Covenant final round fights (I think it's Daz 'Shul's Lance) where they have a Blockade Runner come in and start shooting the Temple. Makes it feel like an actual battle. If only we could destroy it ourselves.....
Honestly Sanctum is always a pretty easy victory for me. It's Apex that gives a little push back.
Honestly the hardest rounds have to be the damn "Defend the garage" on any map because the AI just insta teleport into or in some cases spawn in the damn garage at the start in which case: IT'S NOT A DEFEND OBJECTIVE. IT'S AN ATTACK OBJECTIVE. Learn some english, 343. If i have to infiltrate the garage, I AM ATTACKING, NOT DEFENDING. On the other hand, the Mantis Promethean bosses are the most unfair bosses besides the warden. If they decide they've had enough of your sh*t (aka EMPing them) they just get out of it and are invulnerable to hits of any kind, and is an instant unfair loss. Not to mention they are guarded by a metric ton of stupidly accurate and damage dealing soldiers. Another round that shouldnt have even been put in the gane is the round 2 banshee bosses on Apex 7. Colossally unfair. And lastly, the flat out dumb -Yoink- decision to have rounds of bosses inside the home bases, where vehicles are the equivalent of a limbless person playing football. Completely pointless. Considering you can't even get clear shots at any of the bosses. And your only other option is to be instantly killed by tracking one shots if you're on foot. Granted I've completed these rounds countless times before, but still find it mind-numbingly aggrivating and should be overhauled if this version of warzone firefight makes it into halo 6. Now to add in some positivity, I do agree the round 5 defend the cores on Sanctum is my personal favorite firefight round because it genuinely feels like I'm not being overpowered by an AI all the damn time.
FTB Taterz wrote:
I don't have as many problems with A7 BUT I will agree on the Scorpion thing and that the round 2 banshees are an almost guaranteed loss. Another one for that map is the double round two Knights. They kilo my alpha every time I go up against them.
Pull plasma pistols and use kinetic bolts. No issues.

The truck to the wardens and knights is to kill the knights first and then concentrate on a single warden. Not easy. But not impossible