Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

First time playing Halo 5 multiplayer...

OP SilentRebel38

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
AND I'm completely disappointed and let down. I LOVE every Halo and I'm a great player of Reach. Some 2 days ago, I ended an Invasion game with 30 kills and 10 deaths. Now, my first game of Halo 5, I carried my team... but afterwards, I was met with problems and more problems that gave me an undesirable taste for it's multiplayer. First off, the camera is weird for me and I have absolutely no idea why 343 had to complicate simple things that in turn made me harder to aim. Then, it's my opponents and team. Remember those memes where your team is always playing around while the enemy team seems like they're coordinating? That's exactly what I felt. I died more than I killed and most of my deaths were from enemies that flanked me. And I was ALWAYS flanked. Meanwhile, my team seemed like they couldn't do anything and that I had to do everything myself, but I couldn't help myself, let alone my team. In a Elimination game I had, my team won 0 ROUNDS.
This is my unfortunate take: I was super excited to try out Halo 5 multiplayer, but these 1st few matches let me VERY down almost, if not, making me give up on it. If I can't even aim, how can I improve? And how is it possible that I find the campaign more enjoyable than multiplayer? I'm open to any suggestions to help me improve, but otherwise I'm avoiding playing it.
EDIT: Yes, you can also say that I made this thread to relief some frustration.
Have you tried playing Warzone? If you are struggling with Arena then Warzone might be good to get some practice on. There's Warzone and Warzone Firefight to choose from.
x N7 117 x wrote:
Have you tried playing Warzone? If you are struggling with Arena then Warzone might be good to get some practice on. There's Warzone and Warzone Firefight to choose from.
From all I heard Warzone is an unbalanced giant mess and I only have some REQs. I suppose I should start with Firefight then. Also, got any tips to improve aim? My superb accuracy from Reach was reduced to a noob's. Sometimes it feels too fast, sometimes too slow.
x N7 117 x wrote:
From all I heard Warzone is an unbalanced giant mess and I only have some REQs. I suppose I should start with Firefight then. Also, got any tips to improve aim? My superb accuracy from Reach was reduced to a noob's. Sometimes it feels too fast, sometimes too slow.
Warzone Firefight is actually pretty good. You don't necessarily have to use the REQ weapons and vehicles but just hang back and pick enemies off and leave the heavy hitting to the others until you get heavy hitting weapons.

As for aim, I personally have never had a problem so my advice may not be the best but you could always try out some custom games with other players. I'd be more than willing to play several with you as I play custom all the time. Have you tried playing SWAT matches?
x N7 117 x wrote:
x N7 117 x wrote:
Warzone Firefight is actually pretty good. You don't necessarily have to use the REQ weapons and vehicles but just hang back and pick enemies off and leave the heavy hitting to the others until you get heavy hitting weapons.

As for aim, I personally have never had a problem so my advice may not be the best but you could always try out some custom games with other players. I'd be more than willing to play several with you as I play custom all the time. Have you tried playing SWAT matches?
No. I may try it sometime in the future, but this first experience got me both concerned a bit afraid. I'll try your advice tomorrow as it's already very late in my timezone. If you're willing, you can join me too.
x N7 117 x wrote:
x N7 117 x wrote:

No. I may try it sometime in the future, but this first experience got me both concerned a bit afraid. I'll try your advice tomorrow as it's already very late in my timezone. If you're willing, you can join me too.
Okay, let me know how it goes. I'm going to clear out my friends list and I shall send you a friend invite.
Hang in there OP it takes some time and I have spat it numerous times with H5 but keep going and give it a chance mate. It has it's fair share of problems but all games do...
This game is heavily based on team play. Best thing to do is to team up and use the mics. If you are going to play solo, then it is a toss of the dice with what kind of team you will be paired with.
ZacBum wrote:
Hang in there OP it takes some time and I have spat it numerous times with H5 but keep going and give it a chance mate. It has it's fair share of problems but all games do...
A major problem I had was with the aim. It feels... floaty like I'm firing all over the place. Meanwhile in the other games, it's like I'm hacking when I can kill people out of my RRR with nigh-perfect accuracy (maybe I'm exaggerating, but it's to give an idea of how good my aim in other games is). In Halo 5, I feel like I have Stormtrooper syndrome, even IN RRR lmao. It's probably because of these new dead zone settings that I'm having quite a hard time to understand (probably that).
This game is heavily based on team play. Best thing to do is to team up and use the mics. If you are going to play solo, then it is a toss of the dice with what kind of team you will be paired with.
I'm usually a lone wolf, so it seems I'm at a huge disadvantage. It's not like I don't have teamwork skills, but I'm always playing alone. I see it'll be hard to adapt to this game.
ZacBum wrote:
A major problem I had was with the aim. It feels... floaty like I'm firing all over the place. Meanwhile in the other games, it's like I'm hacking when I can kill people out of my RRR with nigh-perfect accuracy (maybe I'm exaggerating, but it's to give an idea of how good my aim in other games is). In Halo 5, I feel like I have Stormtrooper syndrome, even IN RRR lmao. It's probably because of these new dead zone settings that I'm having quite a hard time to understand (probably that).
I'm usually a lone wolf, so it seems I'm at a huge disadvantage. It's not like I don't have teamwork skills, but I'm always playing alone. I see it'll be hard to adapt to this game.
My aiming isn't the best either but then again I'm not a very good player anyway. I've had some help recently with my settings so I'm practicing those atm as I believe my aiming is what I'm the worst at. I was a H4 player before this and I believe aiming in H4 was much better. I'm also a solo player most of the time also but team up with my small spartan company when we are all on but I quite like playing on my own and yes it can be a disadvantage for sure... give it some time and see how you go and research and play with your settings to see if that helps ☺
Halo 5 requires a lot of practice. Also aiming wise you can't be afraid to play with you look sensitivity and aim acceleration to dial it in better. Every Halo game has always played different than the last so you shouldn't expect to be good right from the start. H5 is very team orientated so if you don't have regulars to team up with you are probably going to lose more often.
I have four Platinum packs... If we match in a game send me a quick message in game saying I see you or something (so I can verify we did match) and a friend request so I can gift you a pack. You don't have to keep me as a "friend" as I am a solo player.
LethalQ wrote:
Halo 5 requires a lot of practice. Also aiming wise you can't be afraid to play with you look sensitivity and aim acceleration to dial it in better. Every Halo game has always played different than the last so you shouldn't expect to be good right from the start. H5 is very team orientated so if you don't have regulars to team up with you are probably going to lose more often.
I learned that the hard way. But my skill is essentially the same between Halo Reach, Halo 4 and maybe Halo 3. Halo 5 is the first game that gave me a rough, unexpected start.
The bad news here is that I'm the Lone Wolf type, always playing alone. I'll be playing some Warzone Firefight to begin, then I'll move on to Arena
The entire thing you wrote before ending it with " im open to suggestions" followed by "I'm avoiding it" almost make me think it's not worth making a suggestion..

You said it yourself...you just barely tried the game out bro....why would you be amazing at it? Is an entirely different beast of a halo game...you cannot compare your years of experience in other games and expect to just jump on in and consecutively win every match...this game imo has a higher learning curve, skill gap, and much more competitive ranking system where it isn't a progressive system handing out win after win. You'll realize as soon as you win by a lot, the MM may throw a curve ball at you in the form of higher skilled opponents to regulate where you are in their MM parameters. It's frustrating, but it may prevent steam rolling win after win. Despite that feeling awesome, it can lead to losing teams on bad losing streaks. Where its never a close game.

So suggestions..

- understand you're new..and almost anyone you face isn't. You're already at a disadvantage there.
-if you solo Q...another disadvantage
- if you aren't willing to buckle yourself in for a challenging ride...throw in the towel. The game can become increasingly frustrating, especially as a solo random.

So try and team up with people. Check out the recruiting forums, go into custom browser and join octagon matches to dial in your accuracy, etc. There is also many tips an tricks vids on YT. Just make sure they're not from to far back when the game was a little different.

Goodluck man. It's an awesome game to play with friends.
The entire thing you wrote before ending it with " im open to suggestions" followed by "I'm avoiding it" almost make me think it's not worth making a suggestion..

You said it yourself...you just barely tried the game out bro....why would you be amazing at it? Is an entirely different beast of a halo game...you cannot compare your years of experience in other games and expect to just jump on in and consecutively win every match...this game imo has a higher learning curve, skill gap, and much more competitive ranking system where it isn't a progressive system handing out win after win. You'll realize as soon as you win by a lot, the MM may throw a curve ball at you in the form of higher skilled opponents to regulate where you are in their MM parameters. It's frustrating, but it may prevent steam rolling win after win. Despite that feeling awesome, it can lead to losing teams on bad losing streaks. Where its never a close game.

So suggestions..

- understand you're new..and almost anyone you face isn't. You're already at a disadvantage there.
- if you aren't willing to buckle yourself in for a challenging ride...throw in the towel. The game can become increasingly frustrating, especially as a solo random.

So try and team up with people. Check out the recruiting forums, go into custom browser and join octagon matches to dial in your accuracy, etc. There is also many tips an tricks vids on YT. Just make sure they're not from to far back when the game was a little different.

I said I would be avoiding it, but not that I would stop play it.
I understand that I'm new to this game, but what I didn't expect was how... different (lack of better term) it is compared to others. You're absolutely right, it's a different type of beast that I have to tame. I'll try my best to do so.
As I said in my previous comments, I'm usually playing alone, in all Halos. Don't have much to say about this besides that I really must invite people over to play.
Thanks. Too bad I'm of the Lone Wolf type heh.
It will take time to adjust, yes. Halo 5 is a vastly different game from every game that came before it. Aiming for example is indeed...weird. As you said it feels "floaty" more often than not and can be a major problem for some players. Some folks get used to it and move on and some, like me, get stuck (was pretty good at Reach just as yourself and now I can't hit a mountain to save my life).

While you are mainly a Lone Wolf type, I'd suggest trying to stay with your teammates at least until you get a bit more used to how Halo 5's quirks. Just keep playing, for me this is the best Halo multiplayer experience since H2 (even though I do have issues with it and am terrible at it) and it can be immensely fun once you start getting into gear.

So suggestions..

I said I would be avoiding it, but not that I would stop play it.
I understand that I'm new to this game, but what I didn't expect was how... different (lack of better term) it is compared to others. You're absolutely right, it's a different type of beast that I have to tame. I'll try my best to do so.
As I said in my previous comments, I'm usually playing alone, in all Halos. Don't have much to say about this besides that I really must invite people over to play.
Thanks. Too bad I'm of the Lone Wolf type heh.
I've played alone for a really long time. Finally I made some friends in a small clan, and despite the skill difference among us...it still makes a pretty big difference playing together vs playing alone.

Take it as a challenge dude. You already see how difficult it is as of right now. You were good in another halo, but struggle in this one. When you do get a grip on how everything feels and plays, find the jumps, weapon spawns, etc...you'll look back and say damn I got way better.

Shywayy has YouTube vids that I think are reall helpful. There are other people with vids of course as well, but he puts a lot of emphasis on how he explains things, and why top tier players play a certain way, etc.

But definitely take a break when frustrated. I literally can only play about 30 minutes alone honestly. With friends it can go for hours. Idc about losing or my rank. I just enjoy close matches.
Oh and "servers" expect hit and miss games from one game to another, one game you just can't go wrong then the next none of your shots / melee's / grenades / spartan charge and harse words do jack and you die instantly from the most ridiculous things... the frustrations of H5...
ZacBum wrote:
Oh and "servers" expect hit and miss games from one game to another, one game you just can't go wrong then the next none of your shots / melee's / grenades / spartan charge and harse words do jack and you die instantly from the most ridiculous things... the frustrations of H5...
In a Warzone Firefight section I had now, I died from my own Splaser...
AND I'm completely disappointed and let down. I LOVE every Halo and I'm a great player of Reach. Some 2 days ago, I ended an Invasion game with 30 kills and 10 deaths. Now, my first game of Halo 5, I carried my team... but afterwards, I was met with problems and more problems that gave me an undesirable taste for it's multiplayer. First off, the camera is weird for me and I have absolutely no idea why 343 had to complicate simple things that in turn made me harder to aim. Then, it's my opponents and team. Remember those memes where your team is always playing around while the enemy team seems like they're coordinating? That's exactly what I felt. I died more than I killed and most of my deaths were from enemies that flanked me. And I was ALWAYS flanked. Meanwhile, my team seemed like they couldn't do anything and that I had to do everything myself, but I couldn't help myself, let alone my team. In a Elimination game I had, my team won 0 ROUNDS.
This is my unfortunate take: I was super excited to try out Halo 5 multiplayer, but these 1st few matches let me VERY down almost, if not, making me give up on it. If I can't even aim, how can I improve? And how is it possible that I find the campaign more enjoyable than multiplayer? I'm open to any suggestions to help me improve, but otherwise I'm avoiding playing it.
sorry man I cant really give your complaints much merrit. its coming off like a guy walking into the gym and pissed off at the gym because he cant lift 250 pounds right away.

you are getting flanked because you dont know the maps

you might have trouble adjusting to 60 fps? i dont know what you mean about the camera

there is no auto aim on the last shot, it does take more skill so you will need practice to get kills.

If you dont want to put the time in to get good at the game then dont complain that you are not good at the game. When I first started playing halo back in CE i went to a land party and got destroyed, I kept playing and eventually got better. that is my suggestion.
Motion Man wrote:
sorry man I cant really give your complaints much merrit. its coming off like a guy walking into the gym and pissed off at the gym because he cant lift 250 pounds right away.

you are getting flanked because you dont know the maps

you might have trouble adjusting to 60 fps? i dont know what you mean about the camera

there is no auto aim on the last shot, it does take more skill so you will need practice to get kills.

If you dont want to put the time in to get good at the game then dont complain that you are not good at the game. When I first started playing halo back in CE i went to a land party and got destroyed, I kept playing and eventually got better. that is my suggestion.
I know exaclty how Truth is designed, yet I was ALWAYS flanked.
No trouble whatsoever, it felt floaty. I think I resolved that issue now.
These first matches got me very frustrated. I expected to have some difficulty, but not the kind I have experienced. I'm now working myself into getting better at it. Also, the edit.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2