Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Forge - That good?

OP l Omnix l

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I am supremely dissatisfied with the lack of features in Halo 5. The ENTIRE community aspect of the game (Split screen, file share, game types, objective based playlists, etc) is missing.

However.

Having just spent 40+ hours this holiday break in Forge - it is 11/10; excellent!

The control scheme takes time to get used to, and some things are still a little clunky/weird - however it is a POWERFUL tool with an INSANE amount of options/features.

A+ on forge.
C+ Halo 5 overall rating
I do agree about Forge. Some of the scripting people are doing, while It's not suitable for MM necessarily, is awesome, like the Frogger and Wipeout Course modes.

But your Halo 5 overall rating is slightly biased. You gave Forge an A+ and Halo 5 a C+, which means the other Halo 5 features would get like an F or D if you average the ratings. Having seen and played other popular shooters as well as the competitive scene this season, Halo 5 is pretty solid. I would say it's top 3 among Xbox shooters that came out last year, and is better than Destiny's PvP. I would give Campaign (which is usually disappointing for most game) a C, Matchmaking Experience/content a C+, Multiplayer balance/core a A-, and Forge an A, which would average to about B+. What do you think?
Forge: A-. It's pretty damn amazing, but there's always room for improvement, and that's ignoring the utterly game breaking glitches it has. Still, it's amazing. The ability to control weather, set time of day, color objects, 343i delivered on pretty much everything people have been asking for the past few years. I can only imagine where Halo would be now if we had this in 2007.
Campaign: D. Passing grade. Gameplay is decent, but the story feels rushed and uninspired. Additional points detracted for the misleading advertising.
Arena: C+. Average. Not terrible, but not outstanding either. Quite flawed. There are better competitive shooters in existence. Ones with a much deeper understanding of balance than "make the crutch weapons just as good as the skillful ones". Lacking in content, and is in need of weapon tweaking.
Warzone: D-. Quickly gets stale. Imbalanced, requisition system is all around poorly executed. Oh boy look at all these new toys...that you have to grind to unlock the certification for them first, and even then only get resupplied a small handful of them every ten games or so.
Forge is what is going to keep this game going!
Personally, I play halo for the community fun (Live AND Local), the campaign, and swat.

Warzone was a mixed ripoff of Battlefield conquest and Invasion.... with a healthy helping of sit and camp, or flinging yourself at the campers - the only difference is the occasional AI. And I've never had to work so hard in a halo game to get my hands on a dmr.

And I agree, the mechanics of the game are smooth, the servers load super fast, everything looks crisp, and I can get into my buddies lobbies (unlike mcc). However, I have much higher expectations than just a game that runs well. I've never see a new game take away so many of the features that we've come to expect in previous titles.

They've missed so many of the things we've all come to love, or things that made halo... different than everyone else. Infection, ctf, koth, oddball, headhunter, etc, etc. and sadly, in its place wasn't even a consolation prize, but a game type with three maps, an arena with only slayer modes, a weird (and still broken for me personally) file share, a late forge, broken theater, and an overall map list that's fairly short, at least when considering all the other features that weren't included.

It comes down to this - halo moving from community/casual focus, to a competitive, online, "one player" mindset. And that's just how it is... I'm not screaming and shouting, just sad. I think others see it, and the sales have reflected it... I don't want a halo that is in the same category as battlefield, titanfall, evolve, cod or destiny. I want something different and better, in all regards.
It's not that I don't like forge, but I'm getting kind of annoyed at it because it has already:
- Crashed on me and erased my map I was working on for 3 hours
- Glitches me under the ground or something when I try to access my new map in forge ( I can get on the map fine in custom game for some reason though )
What happened to flat or open water surfaces to build off of? I would have thought that lesson would have carried over from Halo 4's Forge.

Not liking the new forge controls.

Still no UNSC aircraft.

Have to be online to use Forge??

Not seeing file sharing either - although I did see on youtube that you can by friending the author and then getting the maps -
who wants to go through all that BS - not me!

Used to really get into making maps on Halo Reach and 4 - not sure I'll be doing it here.
CSW652 wrote:
What happened to flat or open water surfaces to build off of? I would have thought that lesson would have carried over from Halo 4's Forge.
I mean they do give you plenty of new and flat terrain pieces, and you only need like four of those to make a decent sized arena map.
Ramir3z77 wrote:
CSW652 wrote:
I mean they do give you plenty of new and flat terrain pieces, and you only need like four of those to make a decent sized arena map.
Found those, but would be nice if they were square. Still doesn't help with water based maps.
Forge: A+

Gameplay: A+

Campagin: B-

Arena: A

Warzone: A-
This post has been edited by a moderator. Do not make nonconstructive posts.

Spoiler:
Show
Ramir3z77 wrote:

Warzone: D-. Quickly gets stale. Imbalanced, requisition system is all around poorly executed. Oh boy look at all these new toys...that you have to grind to unlock the certification for them first, and even then only get resupplied a small handful of them every ten games or so.
I got to argue heavily with that point. Quickly gets stale? You could argue any game gets stale after a while. Overall, the player base (in my experience) finds Warzone a fresh new take on Halo multiplayer. As for the imbalanced REQ system. How is that a thing? I don't see any imbalances and no weapons or vehicles can ever turn the tide on their own. Also, you can buy a bronze pack every single game, generally I get silver's every 2-3.
While I haven't played with forge much (once), I think the overall game is an A-.

Reasons:
Campaign: Story is missing key pieces, but the mechanics are still there and playing co-op was still fun. B-

Arena: I've played a ton of FPS over the years (im 30, I started with Doom/Goldeneye, etc.) and this is by far the most balanced I've ever played. You do not need to seek out better weapons to have a chance to get a kill.
A

Warzone: Same as arena, but a ton more fun to be had in the larger environments. For those who are in it for the grind, you will get bored. For those of us who have fun finding new and inventive ways to destroy an opponents ego, you will love it. Ground pounding from a free fall after hopping out of a banshee at max height will always be fun.
A

Sure, it's not perfect. The req system is blah, and there aren't enough maps or game types, but for what it does have it is enjoyable.
Forge: A+

Gameplay: A+

Campagin: B-

Arena: A

Warzone: A-
Lol there are 3 ways I can explain your grading.
1: you have never played a really good story/MP
2: your expectations are so low that you love everything
3: H5 is your first Halo and you cant compare it
A+ on forge??? Wow. IMO, forge is virtually pointless, sense 99% of forge content goes unseen, unplayed, and unappreciated.

Without a means to promote maps to a dedicated community-content matchmaking playlist, then there is no point to build anything. The end results of forge maps could foster one of the single greatest social playlist areas ever seen in Halo... but that just isn't the case.
Fox Olive wrote:
Ramir3z77 wrote:

I got to argue heavily with that point. Quickly gets stale? You could argue any game gets stale after a while. Overall, the player base (in my experience) finds Warzone a fresh new take on Halo multiplayer. As for the imbalanced REQ system. How is that a thing? I don't see any imbalances and no weapons or vehicles can ever turn the tide on their own. Also, you can buy a bronze pack every single game, generally I get silver's every 2-3.
Yes it's new in the sense that it's a new gametype, however the lack of variety in maps has many bored. Doesn't help that the matchs themselves get repetitive as you do the same thing over and over again. Doesn't mean I won't play it, I kinda have to in order to sate my commendation obsession, but most people want more than 4 maps.
DcIhNaGv3z wrote:
A+ on forge??? Wow. IMO, forge is virtually pointless, sense 99% of forge content goes unseen, unplayed, and unappreciated.

Without a means to promote maps to a dedicated community-content matchmaking playlist, then there is no point to build anything.
Since*
l Omnix l wrote:
I am supremely dissatisfied with the lack of features in Halo 5. The ENTIRE community aspect of the game (Split screen, file share, game types, objective based playlists, etc) is missing.

However.

Having just spent 40+ hours this holiday break in Forge - it is 11/10; excellent!

The control scheme takes time to get used to, and some things are still a little clunky/weird - however it is a POWERFUL tool with an INSANE amount of options/features.

A+ on forge.
C+ Halo 5 overall rating
I keep hearing people claim Halo 5's Forge is good, yet it requires getting past the awful controls, I don't get how 343i could make over complicated controls for basic features. Not sure why your saying 'powerful' when the forge maps are limited by the small scale that 343i have forced on Halo 5's forge. It's probably one of the worst Forge attempts so far but it does have some interesting features like the terrain blender but that's still nowhere near as good as having something like a terrain editor.
I love the amount of customisation yes, but unfortunately for me I just don't have enough time to be spending all my game hours into creating maps! therefore I still stick to slayer and warzones. but I look forward to seeing others creations
ronnie42 wrote:
l Omnix l wrote:

However.

A+ on forge.
C+ Halo 5 overall rating
I keep hearing people claim Halo 5's Forge is good, yet it requires getting past the awful controls, I don't get how 343i could make over complicated controls for basic features. Not sure why your saying 'powerful' when the forge maps are limited by the small scale that 343i have forced on Halo 5's forge. It's probably one of the worst Forge attempts so far but it does have some interesting features like the terrain blender but that's still nowhere near as good as having something like a terrain editor.
Honesty, I can't argue that yes a terrain editor would be better however they would have to create a new engine for that to be possible, as the current engine just isn't able to do it. Far Cry's engine had a terrain editor yes, but it's engine was custom made for it. God forbid, 343 doesn't need any less time to make the game itself by spending a year making a new game engine.
The control scheme though, honesty, while it is different is easy to get used to. I spent all day yesterday making a map and I became accustomed to it very quickly within the first hour or two. Sure, it would be nice if they allowed us to change the button layout. but the work it would take to make it happen would probably easily take another few months at least. I don't know about you but I would prefer for the small group of like 5 people who work on Forge to spend their time fixing bugs that are currently in it and adding needed items rather than some ability to customize the layout which would probably be way to late as most people who seriously want to forge will have just learned the new controls by then.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2