Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Ground Pounding on Vehicles

OP KamikazePerro

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I'm sure this is a concern for everyone. How will the spartan ability of ground pound be balanced in BTB?
In Halo 4, vehicles were basically useless in BTB when everyone could spawn with a plasma pistol. Halo 5 won't have loadouts (thank the Prophets for that), but now everyone has the ground pound ability which looks like it could be very effective at taking out light vehicles. I'm not against spartan abilities, I think they're all very fun, and there are some advantages vehicles have (namely speed), but in the end there is only one way to balance this.

We need open maps. 343i's map design in Halo 4 was counterproductive in every position. Small maps had lines of sight that were too large, and big maps were all too tight. Vehicles didn't have much wiggle room, even on Exile. This made it easy for people to EMP vehicles in Halo 4 and it'll make it easy to ground pound them in Halo 5. What we need is open maps like Blood Gulch and Avalanche. Because vehicles change gameplay. Vehicles require a different strategy, more teamwork. This is what BTB is all about, but in Halo 4, it was glorified slayer. The only vehicles worth using were the Gausshog and the Mantis. I think this needs to be addressed. Thoughts?
I just imagined a Spartan ground pounding a vehicle and ricocheting off into the distance Smash Bros-style.

In all seriousness, I understand what you're saying and I share your sentiment. We need bigger and more open BTB maps, and believe this will happen because Forge World is probably returning due to what we can see in the out of bounds zones in Orion and Pegasus. Hopefully a large, open Blood Gulch-like plain will be included.
Honestly the only way to balance it is to not have ground pound damage vehicles at all. At most, maybe you could get a kill on an exposed passenger/driver if you hit them directly. However if you try to ground pound a moving vehicle you should should amusingly splatter on top of it. If stationary you bounce of harmlessly. If anything I could see it being a way to close the distance and try to board a vehicle but any notion of ground pound destroying vehicles would be awful.

The problems in Halo 4 had little to do with map size and everything to do with giving everyone the ability to spawn with stickies/PP on top of the power weapons given out like candy. You also have to factor in the terrible vehicle health system we have had since Reach that turns most vehicles into moving coffins.
Drivers in 5 may have to drive more erratically to compensate for potential ground pounding foes.
I was thinking something along the lines of this:

Ground Pound:

In order to land a successful Ground Pound and survive, the player must land his Ground Pound on top, behind, or to the side of the vehicle. A Ground Pound that lands in front of the vehicle will result in a splatter (if the vehicle runs him over), however, the vehicle will still retain damage.

If the player lands on top of a vehicle the resulting damage/effect will be as follows:

Light Armored Vehicles (such as the Mongoose or Ghost): 1/2 of the vehicle’s health will be taken and the vehicle will dramatically slow down.

Medium Armored Vehicles (such as the Revenant or Warthog): 1/4 of the vehicle’s health will be taken and the vehicle will slow down a little.

Heavy Armored Vehicles (such as the Wraith or Scorpion): 1/8 of the vehicle’s health will be taken, however, the vehicle’s speed will not be affected.

If the player lands to the side or behind a vehicle the resulting damage/effect will be as follows:

Light Armored Vehicles (such as the Mongoose or Ghost): The vehicle will lose 1/3 of its health and will flip opposite of the player.

Medium Armored Vehicles (such as the Revenant or Warthog): The vehicle will lose 1/5 of its heath and will tip toward the opposite side of where the player landed.

Heavy Armored Vehicles (such as the Wraith or Scorpion): The vehicle will lose 1/10 of its health, however, it will not tip or flip.

Spartan Charge:

In order survive a Spartan Charge against a vehicle, the player must hit the side or the back of the vehicle. If the player charges the front of the vehicle he/she will be splattered (if the vehicle runs him over), however, the vehicle will take damage regardless. If a player Spartan Charges a vehicle the damage will result as follows:

Light Armored Vehicles (such as the Mongoose or Ghost): The vehicle will lose 1/4 of its health and will flip opposite of the player.

Medium Armored Vehicles (such as the Revenant or Warthog): The vehicle will lose 1/6 of its heath and will tip toward the opposite side of where the player landed the attack.

Heavy Armored Vehicles (such as the Wraith or Scorpion): The vehicle will lose 1/12 of its health, however, it will not tip or flip.
Josh Holmes shared an anecdote from testing where he disembarked a Banshee and Ground-Pounded a Scorpion (already damaged, by the way). So it does do damage. How much remains to be seen, but I guess it depends on the way the map is built. The more opportunities there are, the less damage it should do.
Although personally, I think it could be a good thing to make it a relatively powerful anti-armour weapon. The builds being worked on at 343i don't have a reticule for GP any more, as far as we know. Imagine how hard it'll be to hit a Ghost or Mongoose with one of those! A Scorpion is another matter, but a hit on a light, nippy vehicle should certainly be rewarded, unless you hit the front bumper, that is. I can picture it doing a decent bit of damage to a Warthog, but little to a Tank. Maybe if it was already on fire.
AUB0RN wrote:

Ground Pound:

In order to land a successful Ground Pound and survive, the player must land his Ground Pound on top, behind, or to the side of the vehicle. A Ground Pound that lands in front of the vehicle will result in a splatter (if the vehicle runs him over), however, the vehicle will still retain damage.

If the player lands on top of a vehicle the resulting damage/effect will be as follows:

Light Armored Vehicles (such as the Mongoose or Ghost): 1/2 of the vehicle’s health will be taken and the vehicle will dramatically slow down.

Medium Armored Vehicles (such as the Revenant or Warthog): 1/4 of the vehicle’s health will be taken and the vehicle will slow down a little.

Heavy Armored Vehicles (such as the Wraith or Scorpion): 1/8 of the vehicle’s health will be taken, however, the vehicle’s speed will not be affected.

If the player lands to the side or behind a vehicle the resulting damage/effect will be as follows:

Light Armored Vehicles (such as the Mongoose or Ghost): The vehicle will lose 1/3 of its health and will flip opposite of the player.

Medium Armored Vehicles (such as the Revenant or Warthog): The vehicle will lose 1/5 of its heath and will tip toward the opposite side of where the player landed.

Heavy Armored Vehicles (such as the Wraith or Scorpion): The vehicle will lose 1/10 of its health, however, it will not tip or flip.

Spartan Charge:

In order survive a Spartan Charge against a vehicle, the player must hit the side or the back of the vehicle. If the player charges the front of the vehicle he/she will be splattered (if the vehicle runs him over), however, the vehicle will take damage regardless. If a player Spartan Charges a vehicle the damage will result as follows:

Light Armored Vehicles (such as the Mongoose or Ghost): The vehicle will lose 1/4 of its health and will flip opposite of the player.

Medium Armored Vehicles (such as the Revenant or Warthog): The vehicle will lose 1/6 of its heath and will tip toward the opposite side of where the player landed the attack.

Heavy Armored Vehicles (such as the Wraith or Scorpion): The vehicle will lose 1/12 of its health, however, it will not tip or flip.
I think Spartan Charge should do the same amount of damage as a regular melee.
I just imagined a Spartan ground pounding a vehicle and ricocheting off into the distance Smash Bros-style.

In all seriousness, I understand what you're saying and I share your sentiment. We need bigger and more open BTB maps, and believe this will happen because Forge World is probably returning due to what we can see in the out of bounds zones in Orion and Pegasus. Hopefully a large, open Blood Gulch-like plain will be included.
The out of bounds zones on Orion/Pegasus need to be a lot bigger to compare to Forge World
Yes, I agree with all of you. You should be splattered if the vehicle is moving fast enough

The out of bounds zones on Orion/Pegasus need to be a lot bigger to compare to Forge World
I know, but the map itself looks like a proto-Forge World. Some parts aren't rendered yet, but in spectator mode, you can go past the map and into the forests, where it is actually mostly rendered, and the trees are real. These maps were built in forge, so I don't see what else these clues could lead to other than Forge World.

I know, but the map itself looks like a proto-Forge World. Some parts aren't rendered yet, but in spectator mode, you can go past the map and into the forests, where it is actually mostly rendered, and the trees are real. These maps were built in forge, so I don't see what else these clues could lead to other than Forge World.
I mean, I'm with you. I think Halo 5 desperately needs a Forge World. Just from what we've seen, I'm not too sure that we'll get one
I'm sure this is a concern for everyone. How will the spartan ability of ground pound be balanced in BTB?
In Halo 4, vehicles were basically useless in BTB when everyone could spawn with a plasma pistol. Halo 5 won't have loadouts (thank the Prophets for that), but now everyone has the ground pound ability which looks like it could be very effective at taking out light vehicles. I'm not against spartan abilities, I think they're all very fun, and there are some advantages vehicles have (namely speed), but in the end there is only one way to balance this.

We need open maps. 343i's map design in Halo 4 was counterproductive in every position. Small maps had lines of sight that were too large, and big maps were all too tight. Vehicles didn't have much wiggle room, even on Exile. This made it easy for people to EMP vehicles in Halo 4 and it'll make it easy to ground pound them in Halo 5. What we need is open maps like Blood Gulch and Avalanche. Because vehicles change gameplay. Vehicles require a different strategy, more teamwork. This is what BTB is all about, but in Halo 4, it was glorified slayer. The only vehicles worth using were the Gausshog and the Mantis. I think this needs to be addressed. Thoughts?
Plasma pistol and groundpounding vehicles balances out the OP ness of vehicles.It's good to have counter measures against vehicles. Heck, the hardlight shield should have allowed for you to survive a vehicle trying to splatter you, alas it didn't.

Plus groundpounding requires good timing and percision it isn't easy. Don't forget that vehicles move faster than players so they will be harder targets to hit.
Quote:
Don't forget that vehicles move faster than players so they will be harder targets to hit.
They're kinda big though.

Plasma pistol and groundpounding vehicles balances out the OP ness of vehicles.It's good to have counter measures against vehicles. Heck, the hardlight shield should have allowed for you to survive a vehicle trying to splatter you, alas it didn't.

Plus groundpounding requires good timing and percision it isn't easy. Don't forget that vehicles move faster than players so they will be harder targets to hit.
Vehicles are supposed to be OP in the same way as the Rocket Launcher and the Hydra are OP. But they should be balanced out by the learning curve or by using teamwork like the Warthog/Tanks. Vehicles were not OP in previous Halos because they were the center of combat. Just like you must hold power weapons to dominate a 4v4 map, you must hold vehicles to dominate a BTB game. It shouldn't be too easy for players to take out vehicles or else what's the point of having them in the first place?
AUB0RN wrote:

Ground Pound:

Spartan Charge:

I like some of this, but light vehicles like mongoose should die instantly if landing on top since it will be very difficult if its moving.
AUB0RN wrote:

Ground Pound:

Spartan Charge:

I think Spartan Charge should do the same amount of damage as a regular melee.
I agree with most of this, but I don't think the vehicle should be slowed down when you hit it. and Spartan charge should do the same amount of damage as melee I agree.

We have no idea how it will affect vehicles but I could see this being the new problem in BTB
I think Josh Holmes said somewhere that a Ground Pound will significantly damage a Warthog but not destroy it, so I'd assume the same can be said for similar sized vehicles. A Mongoose, Ghost, or possibly Banshee would likely be destroyed by a Ground Pound, while a tank would only take a few scratches and maybe a dead gunner. So it won't be too overpowered, but it won't be totally useless at the same time. I'd also want to see a Spartan Charge able to flip light vehicles.
I think Josh Holmes said somewhere that a Ground Pound will significantly damage a Warthog but not destroy it, so I'd assume the same can be said for similar sized vehicles. A Mongoose, Ghost, or possibly Banshee would likely be destroyed by a Ground Pound, while a tank would only take a few scratches and maybe a dead gunner. So it won't be too overpowered, but it won't be totally useless at the same time. I'd also want to see a Spartan Charge able to flip light vehicles.
I don't know why this made me think of it... but I want to in forge, have somebody doing a perpetual ground pound through teleporters and have that cometing Spartan be target practice.
I agree that this is mildly concerning, however, players using ground pound are quite visible, and any driver than cant avoid it probably deserves to die. Hovering up in the air charging GP makes you a huge target, and, especially in BTB, youre gonna draw fire from every enemy player that has line of sight on you. The only was i can see GP actually working on vehicles is at extremely close range; vehicles are pretty fast, and GP is pretty slow, so leading the vehicle with GP wont really work. And the closer you are to the vehicle, the easier it is for it to kill you lol. I would honestly be more concerned about spartan charge, hope it doesnt do to much damage or flip the vehicle, because that would get really annoying.
Shurifire wrote:
Josh Holmes shared an anecdote from testing where he disembarked a Banshee and Ground-Pounded a Scorpion (already damaged, by the way). So it does do damage. How much remains to be seen, but I guess it depends on the way the map is built. The more opportunities there are, the less damage it should do.
Although personally, I think it could be a good thing to make it a relatively powerful anti-armour weapon. The builds being worked on at 343i don't have a reticule for GP any more, as far as we know. Imagine how hard it'll be to hit a Ghost or Mongoose with one of those! A Scorpion is another matter, but a hit on a light, nippy vehicle should certainly be rewarded, unless you hit the front bumper, that is. I can picture it doing a decent bit of damage to a Warthog, but little to a Tank. Maybe if it was already on fire.
I cant really see GP doing anything to heavy vehicles even if they are damaged already. I mean, the main battle tank is the most powerful, heavily armored craft in the UNSC ground arsenal, how could 400kgs of spartan moving 20mph possibly damage it? With that logic, you could destroy a scorpion by ramming it with a warthog
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2