Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Ground Pounding on Vehicles

OP KamikazePerro

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I'm sure this is a concern for everyone. How will the spartan ability of ground pound be balanced in BTB?
In Halo 4, vehicles were basically useless in BTB when everyone could spawn with a plasma pistol. Halo 5 won't have loadouts (thank the Prophets for that), but now everyone has the ground pound ability which looks like it could be very effective at taking out light vehicles. I'm not against spartan abilities, I think they're all very fun, and there are some advantages vehicles have (namely speed), but in the end there is only one way to balance this.

We need open maps. 343i's map design in Halo 4 was counterproductive in every position. Small maps had lines of sight that were too large, and big maps were all too tight. Vehicles didn't have much wiggle room, even on Exile. This made it easy for people to EMP vehicles in Halo 4 and it'll make it easy to ground pound them in Halo 5. What we need is open maps like Blood Gulch and Avalanche. Because vehicles change gameplay. Vehicles require a different strategy, more teamwork. This is what BTB is all about, but in Halo 4, it was glorified slayer. The only vehicles worth using were the Gausshog and the Mantis. I think this needs to be addressed. Thoughts?
Plasma pistol and groundpounding vehicles balances out the OP ness of vehicles.It's good to have counter measures against vehicles. Heck, the hardlight shield should have allowed for you to survive a vehicle trying to splatter you, alas it didn't.

Plus groundpounding requires good timing and percision it isn't easy. Don't forget that vehicles move faster than players so they will be harder targets to hit.
Salvanous wrote:
I think Josh Holmes said somewhere that a Ground Pound will significantly damage a Warthog but not destroy it, so I'd assume the same can be said for similar sized vehicles. A Mongoose, Ghost, or possibly Banshee would likely be destroyed by a Ground Pound, while a tank would only take a few scratches and maybe a dead gunner. So it won't be too overpowered, but it won't be totally useless at the same time. I'd also want to see a Spartan Charge able to flip light vehicles.
I don't know why this made me think of it... but I want to in forge, have somebody doing a perpetual ground pound through teleporters and have that cometing Spartan be target practice.
LOOOOOOOOOOOOL
If you land on the nose of the vehicle, it should do a flip over you. If you hit the back, it should fly forward (Unless the driver is going backwards, in which case, it would go vice versa) If you hit it right in the middle, it just causes a bit more damage than normal. But it should still do quite a bit of damage to smaller vehicles. Think about how hard it would be to groundpound on a moving warthog, nearly impossible.
I believe that a while back that it was confirmed that a damaged vehicle will not be destroyed by a ground pound.
Unfortunately, Holmes already confirmed that GP will do damage to vehicles - though it'll take multiple GPs to destroy one.

Gonna have to wait and see how this turns out.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2