Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

H5 Appreciation Post

OP SDdawg

So I got this game day one, and I originally hated the game-- both campaign and multiplayer, but as a long time Halo player I felt obligated to see it through to 100% the game. So after doing that, I dropped the game immediately after with a bad taste in my mouth and went back to play MCC and other titles. Fast forward to the beginning of covid-19, I decided to pick this game back up (after being unemployed and all) and decided to casually get back into the multiplayer.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the game in comparison to 2015, with all of the added content and unique playlists since then. I first found myself playing every other day, and then one day I decided to really go for the 152 grind. So, everyday for the past few months I have been playing this game pretty much exclusively and really appreciating what it is now. Don't get me wrong, I still loathe the campaign and think that the REQ system is a bit exploitative, but the core gameplay is so fun in multiplayer! Audio wise, its the best sounding halo IMO. The guns and running/movement sounds in particular have an ASMR quality to them (i know its a weird observation lol).

Arena is just endless fun, but I have to admit Warzone is still such a repetitive bore. Even with a group of friends it gets tiring to play over and over for that xp grind. I really wish Arena paid out more, and/or that Warzone was more akin to older firefights that weren't limited to 5 rounds. Hopefully in Infinite we get the best elements of H5. Anyway, I see constant hate on this game and I myself even wrote it off for years (mainly because of the campaign) but I'm glad I went back to it. It just really goes to show how important it is to impress your audience at launch. However, amidst all of its flaws, you can still see that 343 really tried to do something different here; and I am here to appreciate that.
Its nice to see a post like this once in a while a lot of people usually just boil down H5 to just "muh spartan go vroom" or "its just not halo"
Tresor564 wrote:
Its nice to see a post like this once in a while a lot of people usually just boil down H5 to just "muh spartan go vroom" or "its just not halo"
Yeah I think there are too many people in my age range who grew up with the Bungie Halos and will forever die on that hill if anything new goes against that grain. Whether or not you hate their take on Halo (art style, gameplay, enemy types) I'm appreciative that they took a risk and did their own thing instead of copying Bungie.
Halo 5 is the only game I have really ever grinded. It’s endless fun, wether it’s “clans” in customs or grinding your ranks, opening new packs, (especially when your level 130 and all you get is legendaries) trying new game modes. Assassination arena, octagon, Survive the ____, funhouse, Jenga, and more make the custom browser always exciting. I costumize my spartan almost every game. There is so much good armors, helmets, and colors! I hope halo infinite is like halo 5 in a lot of ways. Advanced movement makes normal shooting gameplay so exciting. I love it. If halo infinite has advanced movement but like HCS Thatd be perfect.
I agree with you. The complaints about the campaign and story I can understand, but I personally love the gameplay and mechanics of the game as a whole. I think it's a pretty underrated Halo title that deserves more love. Good post.
I agree with you. The complaints about the campaign and story I can understand, but I personally love the gameplay and mechanics of the game as a whole.
Agreed. For all of the things I dislike about Halo 5 moving and shooting feels great.
nice!