[Locked] Halo 3 Playlist Discussion

OP DopplerEffect93

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
Halo 3 playlist begins today. What are your thoughts about it and how does classic Halo hold up today.
So far I've only played Slayer on Snowbound and it held up pretty well. My only complaint is that I sometimes spawned right next to 2 of the enemy and got spawn killed.
DoubleSama wrote:
So far I've only played Slayer on Snowbound and it held up pretty well. My only complaint is that I sometimes spawned right next to 2 of the enemy and got spawn killed.
I think the spawning next to enemies aspect was meant to be in the CE throwback playlist and there was a mix up. lol
Amazing playlist. This is what MC collection should have been - the perfect game mechanics of halo 3 with modern hardware
I played a match, it's pretty good, but I feel like I should be playing Halo 3 proper today ... you know? I'll switch over and play a match more later. And more tomorrow. But I'm gonna try and play a bunch of Halo 3 today.

Oh, while I'm here, I wanted to point something out ... since Halo 3 is back, I was switching between that and Halo 3 in the MCC (campaign) just to see the difference at a glance and the work they put into the port/upres and all that. Now, we've all been pretty hard on the MCC for its flaws (and rightfully so) but praise where it's due, they made that game look real pretty: https://i.imgur.com/McXgjVr.jpg (zoom in there real good and look at the details in both, it's rather striking).
In case anyone is wondering:

ske7ch wrote:
Here's the breakdown of the gameplay settings changes that are unique to this playlist:
◾Motion Tracker range is increased to 25m
◾All Spartan Abilities are disabled (Sprint, Ground Pound, Spartan Charge, Stabilize, and Clamber)
◾Player jump height is increased
◾Slightly increased the effect of gravity on players
◾Player movement speed decreased
◾Increased player forward and strafe acceleration
◾Adjusted shield and health recharge rate to approximate Halo 3 values
◾Classic Team Oddball: Reduced ball carrier movement speed
◾Classic Multi-Flag CTF: Reduced flag carrier movement speed
It would be nice to know the playlist population compared to the OG Halo 3 population. I will be playing this playlist. I want to support the core Halo mechanics for the future Halo. One of the ways I can do that in my opinion is play the -Yoink- out of this playlist.
I haven't played it yet but I can't wait to check it out. I'm super impressed that they disabled the Spartan abilities. Too bad there wasn't a playlist like this when Halo 5 first came out. Would have been interesting to know how popular it would have been compared to the other playlists. Oh well, can't wait to play this! I'm genuinely excited!!!

Happy birthday Halo 3, one of the best games of all time in my opinion.
Is there a way to save these gametypes?I've got the maps just want the gametypes
Can we PLEASE get the game type for this in game mode from 343i for customs? If we can get this game mode in customs I will happily play this game for a long, long time. PLEASE at least give us the info for the game mode so we can copy it. This is a fantastic game mode 343i, hats off to you guys.
Seems actually really good from the one game I've played! One thing that was off was that a Ghost exploded from like 2 players teamshooting it. That's just wrong lol. Vehicles turned into paper mache in Reach not 3. Also shields are a little too slow to recharge, and when they do start recharging it's like instant. They should start recharging earlier but take longer.

I am curious to see though if static spawns remain on some maps. Ever since like Reach, they've been essentially punishing pushing forward with dynamic spawns that make the enemy spawn behind you. I think Halo 3 had only a few maps like that? Not sure. I definitely know no one spawned behind you on Valhalla, Narrows, The Pit, etc.
[...]Now, we've all been pretty hard on the MCC for its flaws (and rightfully so) but praise where it's due, they made that game look real pretty: https://i.imgur.com/McXgjVr.jpg (zoom in there real good and look at the details in both, it's rather striking).
Wow, that's more of an improvement that I thought. I wish they could've applied that to the backwards compatible version as well.
Maps are gorgeous so far for what I've played, little bummed out that the plasma rifle on the pit is swapped with the SMG and the SMG is no longer by the vents.

Ghost is over powered on isolation, difficult to kill and hard to run from.
In case some haven't read the most recent News: Happy Birthday Halo 3!. I realize this is primarily about celebrating the Halo 3 anniversary, but there is a community playdate associated with this. So here is the information surrounding that.

ske7ch wrote:
Community Playdate
Today, Monday, Sept. 25, at approx. 3PM PT we're hosting a Community Playdate in the new Halo 3 Classic Throwback Playlist! We've assembled a special team for a special occasion as we call in the big guns to represent some old school Halo 3 skillz. Neighbor, StrongSide, Dersky, and Bravo will all be in representing Team 343 and everyone who matches with them will get themselves the elusive 343 Ice Unicorn skin. We'll also be streaming this playdate as part of our special Halo 3 ten year celebration stream which you can read more about further down below. We hope to see you online!
Also I think this is one of the most important statements in the article:

ske7ch wrote:
The Halo 3 Classic Throwback playlist will stick around for at least a few weeks, filling our usual "rotational" slot in matchmaking, but ultimately its long term fate will be determined in large part by you. The more people play, the greater likelihood it sticks around and/or perhaps even gets updated down the road.
Make sure you guys play this if you want it to stick around, and those of us who want a more classic feel to return to Halo. Please help keep the population high in this playlist, and it will help communicate to 343i what we want more than any tweets, post, or videos.

Finally starting in about 30 minutes:

ske7ch wrote:
Join us today beginning at 1PM PT for a special live stream on mixer.com/halo and twitch.tv/halo as we celebrate ten years of Halo 3! We'll be joined by special guest community speedrunner ProAceJoker for a full Halo 3 campaign playthrough. In addition, we'll look back on fond memories, chat with viewers, give away a few Halo 3 t-shirts, and then jump into a Halo 5 playdate in the new Halo 3 Classic Throwback playlist. As noted above, this is a special playdate and we're calling in the big guns to channel some oldschool nostalgia as StrongSide, Neighbor, Dersky, and Bravo suit up to deliver some throwback smackdowns. (In before Grim and I embarrass oursevles impersonating Simms and Walshy while we attempt to "cast" the action)
The best way to kick off getting involved with this playlist...watching some Halo 3 speedrunning and a little bit of dev casting to follow. Get ready you guys! I am...one of those t-shirts is mine!
The 343 H3 stream has started on Twitch or Mixer.
I've played the playlist and it felt like a proper Halo game at last. My only gripe is the use of the H5 BR, the magnetism and range coupled with the longer shield recharge time feels off. It's a shame this playlist wasn't introduced earlier in the games life cycle, as it may of retained a lot more old school Halo players.

At least it proves 343i can make a decent Halo multiplayer even if they are pig headed stubborn and keep pushing the Spartan abilities on us old school Halo player (those that prefer the old school game style)
Today play 343 in Halo 5?
I'm excited to try this when I get home tonight. If it blows up and gets positive feedback, I wonder if it could become a permanent fixture in new Halo games.
The fact that you use the Halo 5 BR over the Halo 2 BR is an insult. Please just use the old school Halo weapons 343, you could be on to a winner here.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12