OP Aurik Kal Durin

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 15
That's right. I said it.

How could I possibly think something like that, you ask?

First let me say that I hated Halo 4. I played it for about a year before I realized that I wasn't having fun anymore, and went back to Halo: Reach. But Halo 5: Guardians has given me a new appreciation for it.

I've been playing Halo 5 on and off since it was launched. I played 8,954 games in Halo 3's multiplayer. 6,751 games across the board in Halo: Reach. Despite it's problems, I still played 2,375 games in Halo 4. In Halo 5: Guardians, I've only be able to stomach 355 games since launch. Now let me tell why I quit Halo 5: Guardians 2,000 games earlier than Halo 4:

1. Excellent Campaign
I think it goes without saying that Halo 4 had a much better Campaign than Halo 5: Guardians. The story is among the best I've seen in a Halo game... and unlike Halo 5, the game was centered around Master Chief, a character we know and love, not around a bunch of random characters pulled from the novels.

2. Spartan Ops > Warzone Firefight
For the record, Spartan Ops could never possibly top Firefight as it was in Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach. But it was better than Warzone Firefight. At least in Spartan Ops I have the option of playing single-player and selecting the difficulty level; also, no bullet-sponge bosses to worry about. Sure, it can be long-winded and repetitive... but so was the Campaign in Halo: Combat Evolved. Also, if I choose to play on Legendary, I don't get punished every time I die with a 30-second respawn penalty.

3. Multiplayer is decent.
Okay, I'll admit; Ordnance drops and loadouts suck, and the networking is crap. But the core gameplay is better than Halo 5: Guardians. No getting Spartan Charged in the back over and over again. With the Motion Tracker set 25 meters, I can see where all my enemies are and even their elevation, so I have that element of strategy in the game that I don't have in Arena. There's a wider selection of gametypes than Halo 5, and no pay-to-win gametypes like Warzone. I don't give a -Yoink- that there's no ranking system; back in the Halo 3 days, Social was more fun than Ranked anyway. So I'll take a Halo game that's All-Social over a game that's All-Ranked any day of the week.

4. Armor is unlocked through progression + better armor customization.
In Halo 4, when you grind hard to finish a commendation, it's worth it in the end because you know exactly what you're reward is going to be... and you choose which items you want to grind for, and which ones you don't care about. But Halo 5's armory is filled with reskinned weapons and ugly new armor sets that many of us will never use, and if you want some of the better armor sets in the game- like Mark IV/GEN1, Helljumper, Centurion, whatever- you have to grind through about 250+ armors and armor skins in the game before you get it... whereas in Halo 4, unlocking armor is as simple as pick a target, and take it out. Also, you can actually customize the armor you unlock in Halo 4.

5. Better multiplayer maps.
Say what you will about Halo 4's multiplayer, the map design was actually pretty good in this game. Maps like Haven, Solace, Adrift, Longbow, and Exile were all pretty solid, and the DLC maps- namely those in the Majestic and Castle map packs- were excellent. Halo 5's maps, including those in the base game and the free DLC ones are meh by comparison. The fact that they are built around frustrating gameplay doesn't help.

That's all I have to say. I stuck with Halo 4 for much longer before I realized I had more fun in Halo: Reach... but 343i went and dropped the ball again with Halo 5: Guardians, and now I find myself in that same spot again, thinking that maybe Halo 4 wasn't so bad in light of what we have now.

On a side note, Halo: Reach is actually my favorite Halo game for the best all-around Halo experience, but I consider Halo 3 to have the best multiplayer.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I appreciate your post. I STRONGLY disagree.
I'll tell you something subjective, the story was better in 4 but the combat and weapons sucked -Yoink-! The gameplay is much more fun in 5 as well as the enemies and levels! The story in 5 sucked but overall the multiplayer tops 4 in almost every way but maps.
As a game overall I would agree,especially about the mp maps being better
I adore Halo 5's game play mechanics, but I do have to agree. Halo 4 launched a full game, it didn't seem to be half--Yoinked!-. And to be on a 360, it was absolutely beautiful and a huge leap for graphics. Story was also 800x more emotional and actually thought out.

2. Spartan Ops > Warzone Firefight
For the record, Spartan Ops could never possibly top Firefight as it was in Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach. But it was better than Warzone Firefight. At least in Spartan Ops I have the option of playing single-player and selecting the difficulty level; also, no bullet-sponge bosses to worry about. Sure, it ca be long-winded and repetitive... but so was the Campaign in Halo: Combat Evolved. Also, if I choose to play on Legendary, I don't get punished every time I die with a 30-second respawn penalty.
You're right, you didn't have to deal with bullet-sponge bosses. You had to worry about every enemy having a Fuel Rod and shooting you down, only to respawn and fight them again ad infinitum. There was zero challenge even on Legendary, because here was zero penalty to dying.

Add that on top of the bland story, repetitive maps, and painfully straightfoward level design, and you just have an all around bad gamemode. Why do you think everyone glitched those achievements when Spops was re-released on MCC?

3. Multiplayer is decent.
Okay, I'll admit; Ordnance drops and loadouts suck, and the networking is crap. But the core gameplay is better than Halo 5: Guardians. No getting Spartan Charged in the back over and over again. With the Motion Tracker set 25 meters, I can see where all my enemies are and even their elevation, so I have that element of strategy in the game that I don't have in Arena. There's a wider selection of gametypes than Halo 5, and no pay-to-win gametypes like Warzone. I don't give a -Yoink- that there's no ranking system; back in the Halo 3 days, Social was more fun than Ranked anyway. So I'll take a Halo game that's All-Social over a game that's All-Ranked any day of the week.
So Ordinance, Loadouts, and Armor Abilities can be overlooked, but Spartan Charge ruins the game for you? Loadouts made BTB a nightmare, vehicles were more useless than even Halo 5's vehicles.

All Spartan charge needs is a heavy decrease in magnetism, and it's 90% fixed immediately.

Pretty sure you can see elevation on Halo 5 has well, you just don't get to see whether they're higher or lower, something you should be figuring out on you own anyway.

@bold, apparently a lot of people believed otherwise, which is partly why the game failed as hard as it did.

Also, I'm sure the DLC maps were fun, if people actually bought it.

Oh wait, thats when 343i introduced the 14 Day Buy and Play for one of them.
For me it isn't due to the fact halo 4 has "perks" load out, uneven starts and AAs. Also despite what people say, the story in Halo 4 was brutally told. A player shouldn't have to read the books, go to Waypoint or get extra stuff to fully understand what is going on. These things alone make it the worst Halo ever IMO
despite agreeing mostly with points 2,4, and 5 i still prefer halo 5 over halo 4. i actually liked the campaign/story, the gameplay is solid, and am a big fan of warzone. i will say i liked halo 4's multiplayer alot more on MCC with some of stuff i didnt like was taken out like ordnance drops. To each is own though i know alot of people dont share my opinion.
I agree with every point except for point 3. Hated Halo 4's multiplayer after trying a few matches.
Respect your opinion, but have to disagree. Halo 4 is the only Halo I had to quit as I couldn't stand it. I've stepped in dog -Yoink- that was better than Halo 4.
I agree with everything! I LOVED Halo 4, I just wish more people shared my opinion. The Forrunner weapons were also so much better in Halo 4.
Hell no. H4 beats h5 in campaign only, everything else was trash.
Guys, guys, guys ... they're both terrible.

Spoiler:
Show
Halo 4 would have been a decent or good game if it didn't have Halo title there. The system in Halo 4 is a lot better than Halo 5's.
Only thing I agree on is the story. The story had a strong narrative and Halo 5 didn't deliver.
In some aspects I can agree. Campaign yes, BTB heavies, BTB maps were a bit better, although H5 BTB is pretty awesome since the refresh, although H4 had dominion which was pretty fun. The H4 BTB in MCC where they took out ordnance drops and a lot of the armor abilities is awesome. Oh and H4 is where the epicness of Husky Raid was born.
I just can't agree. Like at all.

Halo 4's story wasn't even that good. People speak so often of nuance, but dammit all I see is poor characterization across the board and a story made by a studio that didn't know what "Halo" was supposed to be all about.

And don't even get me started on Spartan Ops. It's the worst story for Halo in a game to date. Yes, even above Halo 5's.
No halo 5 is better but lazy devellopment and campaign kill this game (sorry for my englsih i'am french)
luther354 wrote:
No halo 5 is better but lazy devellopment and campaign kill this game (sorry for my englsih i'am french)
That lazy development is the reason why this game is worse than Halo 4 apparently.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 15