Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Halo 5 Assault Rifle - Too OP?

OP JakeisCake04

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
eLantern wrote:
The post-tuned H5AR is the most well balanced AR to date.

Allowing the weapon to exist as a type of precision weapon was something I had spent years clamoring for; however, the exact design choice they elected to make with the tuning process ended up creating a pretty ideal hybrid concept with superb sandbox balance.

In my opinion, any step back from this concept design in Infinite will be a massive mistake because it has allowed the AR to finally find its proper role and niche.
niche as what? a cheese blaster against unshielded enemies that requires a low amount of skill because "lol bullet hose"
Got to break those shields first. And you still have to direct aim onto the head and with its random trajectory you’ve likely got to maintain that aim there if the bullets aren’t initially hitting the intended target; plus, it probably will even require some feathering of the trigger too to help maintain more effective accuracy at its further ranges.

The niche is its optimal TTK within its effective ranges and its accessibility or ease of use within those ranges in comparison to other precision options, but key trade-offs being the random factor, its range limits, and some recoil drifting.
eLantern wrote:
eLantern wrote:
The post-tuned H5AR is the most well balanced AR to date.

Allowing the weapon to exist as a type of precision weapon was something I had spent years clamoring for; however, the exact design choice they elected to make with the tuning process ended up creating a pretty ideal hybrid concept with superb sandbox balance.

In my opinion, any step back from this concept design in Infinite will be a massive mistake because it has allowed the AR to finally find its proper role and niche.
niche as what? a cheese blaster against unshielded enemies that requires a low amount of skill because "lol bullet hose"
Got to break those shields first. And you still have to direct aim onto the head and with its random trajectory you’ve likely got to maintain that aim there if the bullets aren’t hitting the intended target; plus, it probably will even require some feathering of the trigger too to help maintain more effective accuracy at its further ranges.
In Arena? with maps that compact? also one hit melee to shields just use spartan charge and spam afterwards for a no skill kill with little counterplay ( the most you can do it trade if you have stickies )
Get rid of the Assault Rifle???? The most op weapon i thought should've been nerfed was the Halo 4 Needler
What about The Answer?
I thought the Halo CE AR was mega powerful... Like it would take down banshees in mid-range. Either that or banshees are weak.
No, I agree, especially considering just how meaty the Halo: combat Evolved assault rifle sounds.
Get rid of the Assault Rifle???? The most op weapon i thought should've been nerfed was the Halo 4 Needler
What about The Answer?
Eh i mean that was supposed to be op. This thing has varied soo much from bad to good to best.
eLantern wrote:
The post-tuned H5AR is the most well balanced AR to date.

Allowing the weapon to exist as a type of precision weapon was something I had spent years clamoring for; however, the exact design choice they elected to make with the tuning process ended up creating a pretty ideal hybrid concept with superb sandbox balance.

In my opinion, any step back from this concept design in Infinite will be a massive mistake because it has allowed the AR to finally find its proper role and niche.
The words of a wise man right there
The replies to this post show some magnum elitism, not going to lie.
The replies to this post show some magnum elitism, not going to lie.
Lol yeah
The Assault Rifle is fine. And leave the head shot bonus. If you're hitting the head, you should be rewarded.

If anything is OP it's the Magnum having a range that exceeds the BR.
Its the only AR I’ve ever enjoyed using and getting kills with.

it feels much tighter and accurate especially with Smart Scope.

Its also a beast in Infection despite the occasional map weapons being around.

I think honestly for a weapon that’s stuck between the SMG and SAW, its surprisingly well balanced.
Its the only AR I’ve ever enjoyed using and getting kills with.

it feels much tighter and accurate especially with Smart Scope.

Its also a beast in Infection despite the occasional map weapons being around.

I think honestly for a weapon that’s stuck between the SMG and SAW, its surprisingly well balanced.
It's not meant to be tight and accurate to the ranges ADS allows, plus the SMG is -Yoink- since the weapon tuning. H5's AR drains shields too fast and the headshot multiplier was never meant to apply to automatics as it splashes into the role the precision weapons are supposed to have.
The Assault Rifle is fine. And leave the head shot bonus. If you're hitting the head, you should be rewarded.

If anything is OP it's the Magnum having a range that exceeds the BR.
If headshots should be rewarded, why not use the magnum or BR? it makes more sense and rewards more skill anyhow. Also complaining about the magnum being better than the BR is really just folly, the magnum is the default utility weapon so get over it ( and 343 should be blamed for making the BR trash with the terrible weapon tuning update )
Its the only AR I’ve ever enjoyed using and getting kills with.

it feels much tighter and accurate especially with Smart Scope.

Its also a beast in Infection despite the occasional map weapons being around.

I think honestly for a weapon that’s stuck between the SMG and SAW, its surprisingly well balanced.
It's not meant to be tight and accurate to the ranges ADS allows, plus the SMG is -Yoink- since the weapon tuning. H5's AR drains shields too fast and the headshot multiplier was never meant to apply to automatics as it splashes into the role the precision weapons are supposed to have.
Well it’s definitely meant to be tighter and more precise than the SAW/SMG. Which it is.

I don’t really care about the Headshot multiplier thing much, if you can kill me with an AR you deserved the kill. Its not like Tartarus’ Gavel where it’s basically 15 free kills with no effort, there’s still some aim and tracking involved in scoring kills here
Its the only AR I’ve ever enjoyed using and getting kills with.

it feels much tighter and accurate especially with Smart Scope.

Its also a beast in Infection despite the occasional map weapons being around.

I think honestly for a weapon that’s stuck between the SMG and SAW, its surprisingly well balanced.
It's not meant to be tight and accurate to the ranges ADS allows, plus the SMG is -Yoink- since the weapon tuning. H5's AR drains shields too fast and the headshot multiplier was never meant to apply to automatics as it splashes into the role the precision weapons are supposed to have.
Well it’s definitely meant to be tighter and more precise than the SAW/SMG. Which it is.

I don’t really care about the Headshot multiplier thing much, if you can kill me with an AR you deserved the kill. Its not like Tartarus’ Gavel where it’s basically 15 free kills with no effort, there’s still some aim and tracking involved in scoring kills here
Not really as you just aim roughly over the target and bullet hose, you break shields and 3 shot headshot, automatics aren't meant to be for easy kills with low effort, they are meant for close quarters, suppression or last resort, anything else and the balance goes to -Yoink-. This is also one of the reasons ADS is such a bad mechanic in Halo as it means weapons no longer have defining ranges in which they can be properly tuned
Its the only AR I’ve ever enjoyed using and getting kills with.

it feels much tighter and accurate especially with Smart Scope.

Its also a beast in Infection despite the occasional map weapons being around.

I think honestly for a weapon that’s stuck between the SMG and SAW, its surprisingly well balanced.
It's not meant to be tight and accurate to the ranges ADS allows, plus the SMG is -Yoink- since the weapon tuning. H5's AR drains shields too fast and the headshot multiplier was never meant to apply to automatics as it splashes into the role the precision weapons are supposed to have.
Well it’s definitely meant to be tighter and more precise than the SAW/SMG. Which it is.

I don’t really care about the Headshot multiplier thing much, if you can kill me with an AR you deserved the kill. Its not like Tartarus’ Gavel where it’s basically 15 free kills with no effort, there’s still some aim and tracking involved in scoring kills here
Not really as you just aim roughly over the target and bullet hose, you break shields and 3 shot headshot, automatics aren't meant to be for easy kills with low effort, they are meant for close quarters, suppression or last resort, anything else and the balance goes to -Yoink-. This is also one of the reasons ADS is such a bad mechanic in Halo as it means weapons no longer have defining ranges in which they can be properly tuned
Ok well I assumed you were just curious about opinions I didnt realise we’d have an amateur college class about weapon balancing and what is and isnt a good decision to add to the franchise. Frankly I welcome more experimentation to the series. I find it hard to believe anyone would want to play Halo 3/Reach clones their entire lives.

All that aside I dont see what the fuss is, the AR is finally useful for once, whats the big deal? Most base multiplayer weapons are actually good now besides the SMG which is consistently inconsistent.
Its the only AR I’ve ever enjoyed using and getting kills with.

it feels much tighter and accurate especially with Smart Scope.

Its also a beast in Infection despite the occasional map weapons being around.

I think honestly for a weapon that’s stuck between the SMG and SAW, its surprisingly well balanced.
It's not meant to be tight and accurate to the ranges ADS allows, plus the SMG is -Yoink- since the weapon tuning. H5's AR drains shields too fast and the headshot multiplier was never meant to apply to automatics as it splashes into the role the precision weapons are supposed to have.
Well it’s definitely meant to be tighter and more precise than the SAW/SMG. Which it is.

I don’t really care about the Headshot multiplier thing much, if you can kill me with an AR you deserved the kill. Its not like Tartarus’ Gavel where it’s basically 15 free kills with no effort, there’s still some aim and tracking involved in scoring kills here
Not really as you just aim roughly over the target and bullet hose, you break shields and 3 shot headshot, automatics aren't meant to be for easy kills with low effort, they are meant for close quarters, suppression or last resort, anything else and the balance goes to -Yoink-. This is also one of the reasons ADS is such a bad mechanic in Halo as it means weapons no longer have defining ranges in which they can be properly tuned
Ok well I assumed you were just curious about opinions I didnt realise we’d have an amateur college class about weapon balancing and what is and isnt a good decision to add to the franchise. Frankly I welcome more experimentation to the series. I find it hard to believe anyone would want to play Halo 3/Reach clones their entire lives.

All that aside I dont see what the fuss is, the AR is finally useful for once, whats the big deal? Most base multiplayer weapons are actually good now besides the SMG which is consistently inconsistent.
H3's AR was perfectly useful and H4's was pretty good too, so your point of all the others being trash doesn't hold true
Its the only AR I’ve ever enjoyed using and getting kills with.

it feels much tighter and accurate especially with Smart Scope.

Its also a beast in Infection despite the occasional map weapons being around.

I think honestly for a weapon that’s stuck between the SMG and SAW, its surprisingly well balanced.
It's not meant to be tight and accurate to the ranges ADS allows, plus the SMG is -Yoink- since the weapon tuning. H5's AR drains shields too fast and the headshot multiplier was never meant to apply to automatics as it splashes into the role the precision weapons are supposed to have.
Well it’s definitely meant to be tighter and more precise than the SAW/SMG. Which it is.

I don’t really care about the Headshot multiplier thing much, if you can kill me with an AR you deserved the kill. Its not like Tartarus’ Gavel where it’s basically 15 free kills with no effort, there’s still some aim and tracking involved in scoring kills here
Not really as you just aim roughly over the target and bullet hose, you break shields and 3 shot headshot, automatics aren't meant to be for easy kills with low effort, they are meant for close quarters, suppression or last resort, anything else and the balance goes to -Yoink-. This is also one of the reasons ADS is such a bad mechanic in Halo as it means weapons no longer have defining ranges in which they can be properly tuned
Ok well I assumed you were just curious about opinions I didnt realise we’d have an amateur college class about weapon balancing and what is and isnt a good decision to add to the franchise. Frankly I welcome more experimentation to the series. I find it hard to believe anyone would want to play Halo 3/Reach clones their entire lives.

All that aside I dont see what the fuss is, the AR is finally useful for once, whats the big deal? Most base multiplayer weapons are actually good now besides the SMG which is consistently inconsistent.
H3's AR was perfectly useful and H4's was pretty good too, so your point of all the others being trash doesn't hold true
Halo 3s was useful to an extent, Halo 4s was better but still pretty limited in my opinion.

Then again you’re acting like this is all objective. These are my opinions. There are many like these but these ones are mine.

And my opinion is that the AR outside of Halo 5 is an underpowered weapon that is overshadowed by just about everything else in practicality. Your opinion differs, obviously.

So anything else you need to add before we forget about this conversation because Im just not interested.
The Assault Rifle is fine. And leave the head shot bonus. If you're hitting the head, you should be rewarded.

If anything is OP it's the Magnum having a range that exceeds the BR.
If headshots should be rewarded, why not use the magnum or BR? it makes more sense and rewards more skill anyhow. Also complaining about the magnum being better than the BR is really just folly, the magnum is the default utility weapon so get over it ( and 343 should be blamed for making the BR trash with the terrible weapon tuning update )
I like using the AR every now and then because I find the one-gun-gameplay that is the Magnum meta repetitive and boring. I'm of the opinion that if you're hitting the head, regardless of weapon, you should do more damage. Giving special treatment to semi-auto or burst firing weapons because they're 'precision' (whatever that means) just seems so arbitrary.

I also don't need to 'get over' anything, it's silly and nonsensical that a handgun outperforms a rifle at range.
DoubleSama wrote:
I kind of feel like the AR needed the headshot damage buff. In previous games, there was almost no reason to ever use it. I'd say other than H5, H3 was where it was probably the most balanced. But there's always a better precision weapon that generally works at close range as well due to how aiming works in Halo:

H:CE - Pistol
H2 - BR
H3 - Probably the BR again
Reach - DMR
H4 - Light Rifle

Even now, I'd say that the H5 pistol is superior to the AR at just about every range
Incorrect. Yesterday I was playing slayer and ran out of ammo in my magnum leaving me with the assault rifle. the enemy player never missed a shot and was shooting at the fastest speed possible but I still killed him with the AR all because of the headshot bonus damage.
The Assault Rifle is fine. And leave the head shot bonus. If you're hitting the head, you should be rewarded.

If anything is OP it's the Magnum having a range that exceeds the BR.
If headshots should be rewarded, why not use the magnum or BR? it makes more sense and rewards more skill anyhow. Also complaining about the magnum being better than the BR is really just folly, the magnum is the default utility weapon so get over it ( and 343 should be blamed for making the BR trash with the terrible weapon tuning update )
I like using the AR every now and then because I find the one-gun-gameplay that is the Magnum meta repetitive and boring. I'm of the opinion that if you're hitting the head, regardless of weapon, you should do more damage. Giving special treatment to semi-auto or burst firing weapons because they're 'precision' (whatever that means) just seems so arbitrary.

I also don't need to 'get over' anything, it's silly and nonsensical that a handgun outperforms a rifle at range.
"but it's a handgun!!" remember CE?
Being angry over a weapon skin is petty. Plus your point is wrong as the DMR will beat the magnum 10 times out of 10 when at proper range. If you don't know what a precision weapon is then I have to assume your a COD player, but anyways why should we reward bullet hoses with extra damage? they don't require good aim to start so why reward people with no skill other than hold RT to hose enemy player down?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3