Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Halo 5 Campaign...again

OP legendaryAllied

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
So...here we are again:
After replaying Halo 5's campaign on Legendary, i have decided to reprehend my previous opinion. I was able to appreciate the environments more due to the fact that i would constantly get stuck at certain points on a few missions fighting enemies. I also was dumbfound on my second play through when i was on Sanghelios. I was walking around then it hit me, "I'm on Sanghelios right now. I've wanted to come here for so long, and now I'm here." In addition, the campaign felt really intense with the music going at key points, and it really added to the nostalgia and feeling that this was do or die. In my previous post about Halo 5's campaign, i stated that Halo 5's ending was "anti-climatic". However, after playing it again on legendary, the ending felt really great. Infinity got away in time, and Master Chief was reunited with the Arbiter and Halsey. Another realization I had was on the last few missions, when Locke tells Master Chief that he wants to help him. It was then that I realized that I sorta liked Locke because he made the transition from where he was presented as an anti hero to Master Chief's helping hand (Besides Blue Team). The legendary ending was a bit over-hyped, but I am definitely looking forward to Halo 6 now. Overall, on my second play through, i thoroughly enjoyed the campaign, and have decided to express my new opinion. I enjoyed most of the dialogue, and even though you only got to play as Master Chief 3 times (about 3), those 3 missions were very action packed and I believe that all of Locke's mission's were equal to Blue Teams 3 missions. One of my favorite missions was the Battle of Sunaion, The Breaking, and Guardians. I was satisfied with Halo 5's campaign, and I am looking forward to Halo 6 with great expectations. While 343's work on Halo is questionable due to the few short 'missions' and lack of Blue team game play, I hope the Halo community will play through the campaign again and give it, and 343 a second chance.

-Simon
I've got no real interest in playing the campaign again. I beat it on Legendary and while I liked Locke and felt the Sanghelios sections were great, there is just too much wrong. Blue Team got the shaft, everything about Cortana seems to me more about shock value than a propelling a meaningful narrative, the Warden Eternal is a weak secondary antagonist and it seems a more interesting story was with plot threads regarding the Didact, ONI, Covenant client species pursuing their own goals and more was tossed out.
If it was like they hyped it up to be ( hunt the truth, halo escalation etc) it would have been a great campaign. But no, they decided to go the mediocre path and give us one of the shortest campaigns in halo history. The cutscenes ended quite suddenly I might add, a lot of them didn't add much to the story or the 'feel' like halo CE-3 did. The dialogue was bland as well, not many halo moments either.
After playing the campaign the first time, I lost interest in completing it on Legendary. It isn't much fun, and the story was a disaster. It lacked a dramatic and epic story which was promised, but at least the levels look kinda cool.
Did the campaign on heroic solo and co-op, just finished my 5th solo legendary run and I really like it. Just going through each area looking for new ways to tackle each encounter. I totally agree with OP about Locke and I'm coming around to him and his team. I would have liked more Chief but at the end of the day he's getting old and it's just unrealistic that one day a 75 year old Spartan is still kicking -Yoink- in space haha. I'm also not to fussed about all the pre launch hype etc about the big hunt. I take the campaign for what it is. IMO it's a great story, the gameplay is awesome and the environments are beautiful. A little off topic but I've been playing Halo since CE and I've thoroughly enjoyed every campaign, flaws and all. Halo1 had repeated levels, Halo2 felt like it was going to fall apart, Halo3 had glitches where you could break the physics, ODST was a weird direction to take, especially all the night stuff as the rookie, and Halo4 had low rez rocks and all the other issues. But I accepted all of that and just made the most out of the wealth of awesome things brought to the table. I think if you bring negativity to it, negativity is what you'll get out of it. Just my 2 cents but I will keep playing the H5 campaign over and over ;)
You completed it on legendary? I salute you sir for being able to put up with the pain in the -Yoink- which is Warden Eternal-Pain-In-The--Yoink-!
Haha LOLewis when I say I love the campaign we don't talk about the warden ;) Although I have some good strats for taking him down now and it's getting much easier. The Breaking fight is still tricky on Leg but bringing the right guns to the fight makes it easier (Binary rifle to the head -Yoinks!- him up). Oh and yes I know you can easily skip the Warden Triple Team encounter with a pair of simple jumps but I've always looked at it as beating the game means you kill everything that's put in front of you!
I had the same reaction after I played Halo 4 for the first time--this sour, underwhelmed aftertaste, staring blankly at the screen like "what just happened." But when I replayed Halo 4 a second time, I absorbed the story with more enthusiasm, and I appreciated the new direction the universe was taking (Forerunner focus, a Cortana-less Chief, etc.). Despite a shaky start, I really like Halo 4 now.

I had the same bitterness after playing Halo 5 for the first time, and I thought replaying it would help like it did with 4. But...it had the opposite effect. The more I played it, the more flaws I found. The more nonsensical dialogue I heard. The more scenarios I invented to effectively implement Blue Team. The more I realized that the Warden exists solely to extend the game's run time. For me, the second playthrough of the H5 campaign was actually so much worse than the first. It just reminded me of all the wasted potential of this campaign.
I enjoy the campaign for what it is. I hate the lack of content, like no theater, scoring, matchmaking, commendations, exp, rp, bandana skull, etc. However overall, taking it for what it is, it's fun and played great and looked great. (Though really, I am not a Promethean fan and definitely find the warden overrated and lacking).
IMR4N4T0R wrote:
After playing the campaign the first time, I lost interest in completing it on Legendary. It isn't much fun, and the story was a disaster. It lacked a dramatic and epic story which was promised, but at least the levels look kinda cool.
Tbh im with you there. In the past i always did my normal playthrough first (so i could enjoy the story, enviroment ...etc without the worry of dying) then replay it on legendary. But with Halo 5 i really can't bring myself to touching the campaign again, heck i haven't even got all the skulls/intel ...etc and thats something i've always done straight after doing it on normal!
While 343's work on Halo is questionable due to the few short 'missions' and lack of Blue team game play, I hope the Halo community will play through the campaign again and give it, and 343 a second chance.
-Simon
Since we're talking about the Halo Community this will never happen ;) Simply because these kinda people only know how to hate things. It sad but true...
I replayed the campaign on Legendary as well but I ended up disliking the campaign more the second time. All the flaws and missed opportunities become more obvious the second time through. Not only that, but the campaign was just plain boring. The levels on Merdian just felt like a chore and there was never any unique game-play moments in the campaign, bar the Kraken fight, which was a pale imitation of the Scarab fights from previous games.
Completely agree
I've got no real interest in playing the campaign again. I beat it on Legendary and while I liked Locke and felt the Sanghelios sections were great, there is just too much wrong. Blue Team got the shaft, everything about Cortana seems to me more about shock value than a propelling a meaningful narrative, the Warden Eternal is a weak secondary antagonist and it seems a more interesting story was with plot threads regarding the Didact, ONI, Covenant client species pursuing their own goals and more was tossed out.
I was so disappointed by the campaign I can't even bring myself to get it on Legendary completed again. A casual player like me had no effing clue who Blue Team was or the rest of Locke's team and we had no exposition or character development on anyone.
I enjoyed the story also.
Halo 5 and Halo 3 had the best Campaign Gameplay overall, with Halo 2 coming in close second. Halo 4 and Halo CE are pretty boring, to be honest, and they don't have very high replayability for me.
I only buy HALO for the campaigns. Multiplayer comes second.

12 LOCKE, 3 MASTER CHIEF, 0 ARBITER, 100 WARDEN ETERNAL

Where was the 50 - 60 mission campaign? The current campaign belongs in the middle of a campaign.

WHAT HAPPENED BETWEEN H4 & H5?
I enjoyed the campaign, jumped right into legendary, and have gone back to find skulls and intel on heroic. I do agree the story could be better, they should have left Cortana dead, blah, blah, blah. Haters gonna hate.
IMR4N4T0R wrote:
Same here. As of now I've beaten and played through every Halo campaign multiple times, more times than I want to admit. But with Halo 5 I've only played through it once on heroic and I never felt the urge to replay it.
Its just the fact that yes, you are on the elite home world. You get there, and you have a base of operations that you visit I think 3 times, then you go and fight the civil war for them, which is all fine to save the arbiter, but then we just go on without him, so that whole section felt pointless.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2