Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Halo 5 campaign ruined everything

OP LEW BUKKZ

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
The halo 5 campaign is awful compared to the first 4 halos and even reach and I want to explain why.

1. First off halo needs to keep comic and movie Lore out of main games. I don’t want to read a comic to see what happens to the didact or the covenant before playing the main game. All events should be shown in game and not through other sources. The didact as well as jul mdama were interesting enemies that could have played vital roles in halo 5 but were eliminated in The first mission or before the game came out, that is ridiculous.

2. I don’t want to have to play through the campaign with 3 followers always hugging me. Blue team and Osiris are as boring as boring comes. Keep the halo games to a lone wolf standpoint (look back to every halo ever other than reach). Reach has an excuse since they were a spartan team and it was not a sole halo game like halo 5. Tanaka is one of the worst characters in anything ever, I don’t even know the other girls name, and master chiefs bunch of friends plain out do not fit in the campaign. I actually liked agent Locke and feel the campaign would have been awesome if he and chief were by themselves with one being hunted.

3. Halo is halo for a reason and It is not call of duty. Change the controls back to halo 3 or even 4 which was bearable. Running was never in original halo games I don’t mind it but atleast fix the aiming back to zooming with the analog stick and don’t copy cod.

4. The cutscenes were just unexplainable, everybody is now an unstoppable spartan able to take down the once superior elites. Jul mdama and gang are taken out with ease by a bunch of new Spartans. That should never happen, the covenant always had the upper hand so go back to marines getting obliterated by elites. There are way too many Spartans now making master chief look bad.

5. You ruined Cortana, the way she looks and the way she acts. Her design was fine in every game but this one I can’t even explain why it is so bad. She should’ve never been a main antagonist. You could’ve went two ways with the didact or jul mdama and you picked Cortana what an awful decision. The warden Is actually a good add to the game even if he was the bad guy would’ve been fine.
LEW BUKKZ wrote:
The halo 5 campaign is awful compared to the first 4 halos and even reach and I want to explain why.

1. First off halo needs to keep comic and movie Lore out of main games. I don’t want to read a comic to see what happens to the didact or the covenant before playing the main game. All events should be shown in game and not through other sources. The didact as well as jul mdama were interesting enemies that could have played vital roles in halo 5 but were eliminated in The first mission or before the game came out, that is ridiculous.

2. I don’t want to have to play through the campaign with 3 followers always hugging me. Blue team and Osiris are as boring as boring comes. Keep the halo games to a lone wolf standpoint (look back to every halo ever other than reach). Reach has an excuse since they were a spartan team and it was not a sole halo game like halo 5. Tanaka is one of the worst characters in anything ever, I don’t even know the other girls name, and master chiefs bunch of friends plain out do not fit in the campaign. I actually liked agent Locke and feel the campaign would have been awesome if he and chief were by themselves with one being hunted.

3. Halo is halo for a reason and It is not call of duty. Change the controls back to halo 3 or even 4 which was bearable. Running was never in original halo games I don’t mind it but atleast fix the aiming back to zooming with the analog stick and don’t copy cod.

4. The cutscenes were just unexplainable, everybody is now an unstoppable spartan able to take down the once superior elites. Jul mdama and gang are taken out with ease by a bunch of new Spartans. That should never happen, the covenant always had the upper hand so go back to marines getting obliterated by elites. There are way too many Spartans now making master chief look bad.

5. You ruined Cortana, the way she looks and the way she acts. Her design was fine in every game but this one I can’t even explain why it is so bad. She should’ve never been a main antagonist. You could’ve went two ways with the didact or jul mdama and you picked Cortana what an awful decision. The warden Is actually a good add to the game even if he was the bad guy would’ve been fine.
Lew Bukkz you have some good points like the separation of lore and games and the waist of great characters (still salty my fan theory of Jul M'dama locating and controlling the Guardians through the use of the Janis Key never happened and they pretended the Janis Key never existed) lol but I would like to say a lot of the problems with the story were due to Microsoft heavily pressuring 343 to release Halo 5 as soon as possible, also I think the AI and character development of the fireteams needs to be fixed but i saw them as a welcome addition, you said that noble team got a pass because they were an actual team but Osiris and Blue team are teams too so i don't really see the point. But I I would argue that 343 definitely needs to use Halo 5 as a learning tool on what does and doesn't work, but i don't think the halo series was ruined and I still have high hopes for Halo 6, it's best to keep an open mind and see the positives and awesome possibilities of the new halo games, it's perfectly fine to express concern for the new halo title but I still believe it's best to have a positive attitude going in and form your own opinion on it so as to not have a game that could potentially be amazing to you be ruined by the negative opinions of others.
You're arguments bring up some good points, but Cortana's rampancy has always been common knowledge. She spoke of her age a few times throughout the Halo series, especially in Halo 3. J'ul M'dama was a part of the protagonist plan from Halo 4's strike missions. It started as a graphic novel. Blue team isn't new they have just been separated since right before Reach when it was thought Master Chief was the last Spartan alive.
Estomy wrote:
LEW BUKKZ wrote:

Lew Bukkz you have some good points like the separation of lore and games and the waist of great characters (still salty my fan theory of Jul M'dama locating and controlling the Guardians through the use of the Janis Key never happened and they pretended the Janis Key never existed) lol but I would like to say a lot of the problems with the story were due to Microsoft heavily pressuring 343 to release Halo 5 as soon as possible, also I think the AI and character development of the fireteams needs to be fixed burn i saw them a shot a welcome addition, you said that noble team got a pass because they were an actual team but Osiris and Blue team are teams to so i don't really see that's point. But would argue that's 343 definitely needs to use Halo 5 as a learning tool burn i don't think the halo series wasn't ruined and I still have high hope s form Halo 6, it's best to keep an open mind and see the positives and awesome possibilities of the new halo games, it's perfectly fine to express concern for the new halo title but I still believe it's best to have a positive attitude going in and form your own opinion on it so as to not have a game that could potentially be amazing to you not be ruined by the negative opinions of others.
Yeah I’m hoping halo 6 will make up for it with hopefully the banished and flood. Yeah i also didn’t word the blue team and Osiris thing the greatest. I felt that reach’s team didn’t have to the same feel as these two as in reach they died during the story and didn’t all feel like filler characters. Reach really made them important and no time just a bunch of helpers following you around. Yeah i am still very excited for halo 6 and hoping they don’t screw it up as bad as 5. 5 had some good editions but more bad.
HM Azriel wrote:
You're arguments bring up some good points, but Cortana's rampancy has always been common knowledge. She spoke of her age a few times throughout the Halo series, especially in Halo 3. J'ul M'dama was a part of the protagonist plan from Halo 4's strike missions. It started as a graphic novel. Blue team isn't new they have just been separated since right before Reach when it was thought Master Chief was the last Spartan alive.
Yes I know of her rampancy but it shouldn’t have made her the main antagonist. I also know blue team is an old fire team of chiefs my point is it should not have been in the main game as it was previous and adding too many characters that weren’t a part of the game may confuse some halo fans and disappoint others since not every halo fan reads the comics or watches the series. The game is the main place to put important pieces and continue from past games. It feels like a big puzzle that just doesn’t fit.
LEW BUKKZ wrote:
HM Azriel wrote:
Yes I know of her rampancy but it shouldn’t have made her the main antagonist. I also know blue team is an old fire team of chiefs my point is it should not have been in the main game as it was previous and adding too many characters that weren’t a part of the game may confuse some halo fans and disappoint others since not every halo fan reads the comics or watches the series. The game is the main place to put important pieces and continue from past games. It feels like a big puzzle that just doesn’t fit.
I hear what you're saying but as a fan deeply entrenched in the story and lore, I deeply appreciate the story they put together. ;)
LEW BUKKZ wrote:

1. Jul Mdama was actually from Halo 4. He's the one you were chasing throughout Spartan Ops, so the first mission of Halo 5 was basically just wrapping up that.

2. I agree with this one. I found that the AI teammates also made solo Legendary too easy.

3. You do realize that you can change your controller layout just like in every other Halo game, right? Personally I use the "Halo 4" button layout which is probably the one you want as well. (They do slightly change the button layout for every single Halo game though).

4. Isn't the point of the Spartans that they were almost unstoppable? From watching Master Chief throughout the series, I see no reason a team of 4 Spartans wouldn't be able to take down a couple of Elites.

5. Cotana's rampancy was set up over the past 2 games as someone else already mentioned.
I really enjoyed the squad mechanics, but your team mates never seemed very powerful on higher difficulties. If they refine the commands and AI, as well as actually explain who the people are, I think the squads could be a nice evolution.
I definitely agree with the lore being from external sources. We have seen it in games like Overwatch and Destiny, and it is so incredibly lazy.
LEW BUKKZ wrote:
As much as I speak out against Halo 5's Campaign:

1. You really don't need the comic or books to know what happens in Halo 5, outside of the identities of Team Osiris, but even then, chalk it up to "random Spartan Team assigned for the job" except this time they're main characters. Just about everything you really need to know is explained in the game, including Blue Team's identities. The reason you feel lost and confused is because Halo 5 is just poorly written all around.

"All events should be shown in game and not through other sources."

Interesting you say that because Halo 2 never mentions how Johnson survived the events of Halo CE, and Halo 3 never mentions how did Chief fall off Truth's ship and how Johnson, Miranda, and Arbiter ended up on Earth before Chief, when he had the hugest head start.

2. So don't use them? They'll rarely get in your way and on higher difficulties they'll die anyway.
LEW BUKKZ wrote:
Reach has an excuse since they were a spartan team and it was not a sole halo game like halo 5.
Why does Reach get an excuse but not Halo 5? They're both Spartan Teams. Halo Reach does this much farther as they're invulnerable.

3. Pretty sure there are alternate controls for that. Either that or remapping.

4. The whole point of Spartans were for them to be an unstoppable force so Humanity can stopped being wiped off the face of the galaxy? You were okay with Chief being the only Spartan yet taking on the Covenant and the Flood alone.

5. I hate Cortana. She's pretty much the worst thing coming out of Halo 5. She pretty much gets by through manipulation and hypocrisy, to the point where 343i has to say that the audeince are not mature enough to understand her.

BUT. I'm pretty sure her Halo 5 model is just the same model of Halo 4 (with clothes on of course), which makes it look really weird with the different shading and lighting.
Yay another post saying how awful the halo 5 campaign was, in other news water is wet. I think 343 knows how bad the story was so we don't need to keep reminding them, hopefully it will be better going forward and based off of halo wars 2 campaign and ATN (I think both had good stories) things are looking brighter.
DoubleSama wrote:
LEW BUKKZ wrote:

1. Jul Mdama was actually from Halo 4. He's the one you were chasing throughout Spartan Ops, so the first mission of Halo 5 was basically just wrapping up that.

2. I agree with this one. I found that the AI teammates also made solo Legendary too easy.

3. You do realize that you can change your controller layout just like in every other Halo game, right? Personally I use the "Halo 4" button layout which is probably the one you want as well. (They do slightly change the button layout for every single Halo game though).

4. Isn't the point of the Spartans that they were almost unstoppable? From watching Master Chief throughout the series, I see no reason a team of 4 Spartans wouldn't be able to take down a couple of Elites.

5. Cotana's rampancy was set up over the past 2 games as someone else already mentioned.
1. Yes I remember mdama from halo 4’s sad spartan ops but my point isn’t that’s he is from an outside source it is that they made him weak and short lived. He pretty much was a waste. The outside content I am talking about is just incorporating outside characters into halo 5 was just adding too much. Blue team and Osiris was unneeded. The didact is not the same as the events left out of 2 and 3 as he wasn’t a main antagonist and very powerful.

2. Yeah this was easiest campaign on legendary.

3. Yes i know you can change the layout. My point is that they added in aspects that are not halo. It feels like a futuristic call of duty game.

4. Chief is made out to be unstoppable, that doesn’t mean all Spartans should be. And now since halo 5 it feels like there are millions of them. I liked when chief was the only badass and arbiter, now everybody is or should i say tries to be.

5. Yeah i know about the crazy outbursts from her in 4 and the gravemind corrupting her in 3 but that doesn’t mean she’s should become ruler of the prometheans and world. Also her design just doesn’t feel right. Halo 3 and 2 anniversary had It right.
I really enjoyed the squad mechanics, but your team mates never seemed very powerful on higher difficulties. If they refine the commands and AI, as well as actually explain who the people are, I think the squads could be a nice evolution.
I definitely agree with the lore being from external sources. We have seen it in games like Overwatch and Destiny, and it is so incredibly lazy.
I don’t mind some external lore but when it really sucks like blue team and when it’s in comic books then it’s getting out of hand. When destiny did it they made a cool app where you could read about it. Halo just threw it somwhere random and expects you to know it while it’s also terrible.
But halo 5 controls are better
Halo 5 game play is fine, but the storyline was lacking.
I'm sick of hearing the argument " Microsoft were pressuring 343 to realease the game asap that's a big reason why halo 5 was flawed " look at the time constraints bungie were working to. I also expect most entertainment developers are under pressure to finish their product quickly don't you? The advertising was mis leading the story was awful ( that should of been clear during concept ) the game was empty of content for a long time and everything that has come since is what we expected at launch ( even yesterdays announcement that oddball with a skull is coming- well that SHOULD OF BEEN THERE AT THE START !!!!!!! ) big deal making grand announcements for core content from previous games . That being said I do for the most part enjoy halo 5 but if it was a franchise of any other name I would of quit it a week after release. I love halo have done since ce and will continue to support it but halo 6 needs to come correct otherwise I think halo will die a slow death losing fans losing sales and being left behind forever.
Now canon, halo 5 campaign was all a dream. It's time to wake up again John.
LEW BUKKZ wrote:
I don’t mind some external lore but when it really sucks like blue team and when it’s in comic books then it’s getting out of hand. When destiny did it they made a cool app where you could read about it. Halo just threw it somwhere random and expects you to know it while it’s also terrible.
Having external lore is fine, but there are one or two sentences talkin about Blue Team. I remember just being like "Who are these Spartans with generic first names?" They are all cool characters, but not when there is no build up. Luckily the writer got fired.
LEW BUKKZ wrote:

I disagree with part of this. There is no issue with book, comic, or any external lore being added to the games. It shouldn't be front and center as necessary components of the plot. Intel, Terminals, data pads, and so on should come with those references as nice nods to those who invest in that part of the community. Still, locations, factions, and characters from the lore should have the potential to be in the games so long as 343 Industries introduces them to the wider fanbase as if they were being introduced for the first time.

Or 343 can create an in-game index of expanded universe lore.

Quote:
Blue Team and Osiris are Spartan teams, so that's kinda of a weak excuse. The main game argument makes a bit more sense, but you can't just introduce these guys now and then have them disappear in the next game with no explanation. Otherwise, you've just given Halo 6's story it's first criticism before it's even been released.

Quote:
Or they could just create custom control schemes.

Quote:
So did you also have problems with a rookie ODST being able to take on Brutes and other Covenant species? I'm down for enemies being tough and requiring more skill to take out, but this seems like a pretty weak argument.

Quote:
Yes on what you said about Cortana, hell no about the Warden being a good addition. His design is awful, he just shows up, and his motivations make little sense when combined with what we know of him from the lore.
But halo 5 controls are better
First, I would argue that they aren't better. But I guess it's all up to personal preference.
Second, he wants them changed so that it is like Halo should be and always has been.
Third, none of it matters as they have a choice to change controls back to the other Halo game's styles...
Luckily the writer got fired.
Whether or not he was fired is unknown. What we do know is that he is no longer a part of 343 Industries. What lead to his departure is not known and will most likely not ever be known.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3