Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Halo 5 is a really good game

OP KLASHINOV

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
It is really underrated. I personally love seeing a different perspective (playing as Locke rather than Chief for most missions), I loved the multiplayer, I liked the gunplay, and the customization was really good. It would have been perfect if it wasn't littered by microtransactions, though. What are you thoughts on the matter?
It makes a refreshing change to see someone praise Halo 5: Guardians, rather than bash it. People tend to focus on the negative aspects which is a shame. Aside from playing as Locke more than the Chief which I don't agree with, I find myself agreeing with the rest of what you say.
Halo 5 (and 4) did a lot more right than they did wrong, and I also disagree with what most people say was wrong about them.

It feels like Halo 4 had a lot of heart and soul and a great story but lacked in certain gameplay respects, whereas Halo 5 had impeccable gameplay and lots of great features but it had a bad story and didn't really flesh out a soul of its own.

I was hoping we would get a Halo 6 that would combine these two things in one game, but it looks like Halo Infinite is going with a "scrap everything, pander to nostalgia as a last resort" approach.
It makes a refreshing change to see someone praise Halo 5: Guardians, rather than bash it. People tend to focus on the negative aspects which is a shame. Aside from playing as Locke more than the Chief which I don't agree with, I find myself agreeing with the rest of what you say.
I do get where you are coming from. Locke did have a lack of personality. Buck, though, was just awesome. He is what made me love the Osiris missions. I'm glad to see that people don't only hate on Halo 5.
Best Regards
I by now means hate the game, I’ve been playing on and off since release. But I can’t say I love it for being the Halo I know. It’s new but not bad. But at the end of the day I can’t say I love the game more than 2,3, and reach. To me it just had a different feel than the Halos I love. It might be nostalgia talking but I do know when I go back to playing the older titles I instantly have that Halo feeling (multiplayer)

Story wise I just hate. Reading The books and etc (this might sound weird) seeing the chief battle with his humanity and having this weird thing with Cortana I’m not a fan of. This whole thing with cortan and the created im all for though
Personally I feel that Halo 5 is a pretty good game. The problem is that it's not a good Halo.

I understand what 343 were going for in an attempt to modernize and compete with all these fast-paced sci-fi shooters that have flooded the market in recent years, but I feel they forgot the history of Halo and why it became the genre-defining phenomenon that it was.
It's a good game yeah. I enjoy the Warzone aspect of it tho. I played my fair share of SWAT back in the day but now i'm just trying to grind to 152. The campaign was alright I just wish we played more as Chief.
If you don't want to play as chief, play COD you lemon. Locke is -Yoink-. I do agree multiplayer is pretty good tho, i love warzone
If you don't want to play as chief, play COD you lemon. Locke is -Yoink-. I do agree multiplayer is pretty good tho, i love warzone
Oh don't get me wrong me, I do not like Locke very much. I just didn't mind seeing the shift of characters. I loved Buck, but Chief is miles ahead. I really don't like Warzone. The requisitions get annoying. I like Slayer a lot. The only that that held this multiplayer back was microtransactions. It would have been better to have a system like MCC. A free season pass. Just my opinion though. I respect yours.
While I really do not like Halo 5's multiplayer it's Forge on the other hand makes up for it. The major leap of improvement Halo 5's Forge made is actually jaw dropping.
For MP is the best but for campaign less
I did appreciate Halo 5 more as I played through the game again. However, I will say, it is still my least favorite of the Halo FPS campaigns.

EDIT: The matchmaking is incredible.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Transaction blew my mind, in a bad way! Wish it didn’t exist for Halo. But you said it well! The more I sit down and dabble in some Halo 5, the more it grows on me. Loved the customization but I really wish you could alter shoulder pads and dive more into it like reach. Really gives you, your own personality on the battle field, ya know? Wasn’t to big on the campaign though. I don’t enjoy the Forerunner era like a lot of other folks do.
I disagree. Vanilla Halo 5 multiplayer gives off the same vibes as COD on Shipment. Pure chaos. Players are flying around and across maps all at once. This is the result of the infinite sprint, slide, jump, long thrust combos. Maps have no flow without objectives. Every encounter is random. The best players are the ones who mastered the art of escaping from the never ending occurance of bad situations and taking advantage over those who haven't. I enjoyed ODST Slayer much more due to the lack of the map breaking combos.
I was hoping we would get a Halo 6 that would combine these two things in one game, but it looks like Halo Infinite is going with a "scrap everything, pander to nostalgia as a last resort" approach.
Nostalgia is both good and bad. Its good in that it will draw in those who fondly remember pre-Halo 4 halo, it only becomes bad when it fully relies on nostalgia and lacks any form of personality. Realistically, the new Hope trailer does rely on Nostalgia.... from an Art perspective. However, it needed too. Its goal is to get people interested who like Halo but not Modern Halo.

I think Halo 5 has some good parts (even though I don't think these parts are good for halo itself). It is a good video game, that is hard to debate. A good Halo game? not so much for me and its perfectly fine for people to like it and enjoy it.

However, that feeling you are getting now, that feeling that what you loved is being removed cause of the "pandered to group." That's what people who fell in love with the series and understand its core function have felt since reach. At the end of the Day, Halo has a look, it has a playstyle, it has a tone. Future Halo's need to understand what those are, build on them in ways they enhance the experience. Not over right it for the sake of "being a new Halo we need to look different"

This is why people make the argument Halo 4 and 5 (5 more so) is a good game, just not a Halo game.
I prefer the OG games, but only because I grew up with them, and I would have to say, after going through halo 4 on legendary, and moving to halo 5, I can see how the game has VASTLY improved. everyone complains about the unlimited sprint, but halo 4 was even worse, there was no gauge to tell you how much sprint was left, unlike Reach. and the maps do feel dynamic, there is a place in each map for almost anything. also, I like how they updated the br sounds from halo 4, because it doesn't sound like the gun equivalent of a squeaker. also, some of the weapons are a little different, but they are vastly more balanced than in halo 4, and they took a little getting used to in halo 5 (like when I learned that the boltshot wasn't a really small magnum cross a shotgun). And this is 343i's 2nd game that they haven't had too much help with, of course they won't be as good as bungie immediately, and they definitely won't if everyone keeps on telling them what's wrong with their perfectly sound game (except for the micro-transactions, maybe they put in too many, y'know, maybe rework the system to at least give better rewards for spending real human dollars on the game.)
I don’t much care for the campaign at all, but I actually quite enjoy the multiplayer for what it is. It’s not as good as the MPs of the original trilogy, but I think they did a solid job with it and really made it unique. It’s honestly one of the reasons why I hope they do port the game to PC someday. That being said, I do hope Infinite goes back to the more slow paced, classic arcade style of the older games. Don’t go chasing gaming fads that won’t age well. Just look at COD. Advanced/Infinite Warfare and Black Ops 3 don’t have the lasting power that other games in the series had, like WAW or the original Modern Warfare.
Pdyz wrote:
Transaction blew my mind, in a bad way! Wish it didn’t exist for Halo. But you said it well! The more I sit down and dabble in some Halo 5, the more it grows on me. Loved the customization but I really wish you could alter shoulder pads and dive more into it like reach. Really gives you, your own personality on the battle field, ya know? Wasn’t to big on the campaign though. I don’t enjoy the Forerunner era like a lot of other folks do.
I do agree. I like the customization more than reach because in reach your character always has too much black on it. I do wish, though, that you could edit shoulder pads and plates.
I agree with you, Halo 5 has potential for a lot of fun moments but I feel like a lot of that is overshadowed by the unecessary amount of hate that the game gets. While I due agree with certain critcisms, it feels like a large amount of complaints boil down to "It isn't a remake of past Bungie games." Personally, I like the refreshing style of gameplay that has been built by upon by 343i, hopefully they are able to create Infinite in a way that appeals to the older fans while still staying true to the identity that they have built in H4 and H5.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2