Halo 5 Is Killing the Series, Halo 6 Save It

OP MasterAndChief

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 15
I love the Halo Series. It is one of my favorite game series for far too many reasons to list. I have grown up with the series and I actually thought Halo 4 was a good first attempt by 343 industries. So I gave Halo 4 a slide and still enjoyed it, but for Halo 5 they needed to prove themselves. I can't describe my level of disappointment with Halo 5. I do not think I have ever been as let down by a game. How someone can be proud of this game and think it is as good a game as Halo 1-3 and reach befuddles me. Its a good game but not a Halo Game. 343 can still improve though and win back lost fans. I am listing this list not to hate on 343 but rather offer areas that I think they should improve on. These are all my personal opinions and are meant as constructive criticism.

The BAD:
-Very LINEAR mission design
-NO epic scale battles
-Where Are the SCARABS??
-Even Vehicle missions are just larger hallways
-Prometheans still not fun to fight (Soldiers are very annoying)
-ZERO characterization
-Killing off Jul M'Dama for no reason
-Terrible story, too few blue team missions
-Halsey wanting revenge to not caring anymore
-Focused too much on coop yet NO SPLIT SCREEN?!?!
-Content Held Back
-Too much focus on 60fps, graphics are good but not great, same with textures
-Too Short of a campaign
-Not enough Playlist at launch
-No Elites in MP
-Map rotation is horribly broken ( Have played Raid on Apex 7 12 times in a row on warzone)
-No armor unlocks for progression and skull collecting
-No Campaign Theater and no Forge at Launch
-Too much focus on esports community rather then the general audience which are casual players

The GOOD:
-Soundtrack
-Sanghelios Visuals
-Bringing back fan favorite characters( still no character building of them though, poorly executed)
-Making all Weapons have a purpose
-Some interesting directions on where the story could go (bring back the flood and the brutes, lots of factions)
-Spartan abilities and movement is perfect blend of modern day design with old halo
-REQ Versions of guns
-GREAT post launch but a lot of it was held back
-Forge is getting better and better (just need AI in forge now to create our own missions)

Huge Halo fan and still love the series to death, but it will die and is dying off due to so many missteps and misdirections. If they continue the series like this then I will no longer buy halo and instead just watch the cut-scenes on YouTube. At the moment in the market there are far better games available. HALO 5 is a good game, great value. However, it is the WORST 'halo game' in my opinion.

Huge Halo fan and still love the series to death, but it will die and is dying off due to so many missteps and misdirections. If they continue the series like this then I will no longer buy halo and instead just watch the cut-scenes on YouTube. At the moment in the market there are far better games available. HALO 5 is a good game, great value. However, it is the WORST 'halo game' in my opinion.
Great thread OP. thank you for taking the time to write it and I'm with you.

Based on 343i's handling of the franchise, Halo 6 will be the 1st Halo game I don't purchase on launch day.
But scarabs weren't in 4 either...
You forgot crap network, seriously, the fact i still can't look at reqs in menus alot is a joke.
Wow, pretty much spot on my thoughts. I'm not for the "H5 Hate Train" (I'm playing the heck out of MP. I love the warzone system and Breakout along side FFA). But what you listed are exactly the grievances I have (except that there was some great sandbox missions like Enemy Lines; also I like fighting most Prometheans...there's a few I don't....I'm looking at you Warden...). Halo 6 (and maybe Halo Wars 2) will define where the franchise is heading: if Halo 6 is Halo 4's campaign and Halo 5's multiplayer and Forge, H5 was just part of the learning process to earning the badge of the legacy of Halo; but if Halo 6 just make the cut, it's probably the sign that the title may have run its life. We got nearly everything MP-wise we asked for eventually, so if 343i really cares for the franchise, they'll take what they learned from 4 & 5 and give us the best Halo yet.
Wow, pretty much spot on my thoughts. I'm not for the "H5 Hate Train" (I'm playing the heck out of MP. I love the warzone system and Breakout along side FFA). But what you listed are exactly the grievances I have (except that there was some great sandbox missions like Enemy Lines; also I like fighting most Prometheans...there's a few I don't....I'm looking at you Warden...). Halo 6 (and maybe Halo Wars 2) will define where the franchise is heading: if Halo 6 is Halo 4's campaign and Halo 5's multiplayer and Forge, H5 was just part of the learning process to earning the badge of the legacy of Halo; but if Halo 6 just make the cut, it's probably the sign that the title may have run its life. We got nearly everything MP-wise we asked for eventually, so if 343i really cares for the franchise, they'll take what they learned from 4 & 5 and give us the best Halo yet.
I agree with all of this. I expected this to be bashing Halo 5. The only thing I disagree on is the elites in multiplayer. I understand why there taken out. Maybe they could get their own game mode, but giving people different character models upsets the balance, and this is the most balanced halo to date, which is why it is my favorite multiplayer wise. I miss the flood, they were a genuinely larger threat than prometheans, and they were less annoying. 100% agree with the need for split screen. Another thing you have to consider is the fact that the FPS genre in general is on the decline. No game today can say they have 200k players online like Halo 3 could, and that isn't for lack of quality. Gamer's tastes shift, gradually, but they do shift.
Have you seen 4 and MCC? 4 killed the Halo multiplayer and MCC......yea you know what happened.
Allow me to preface by saying "IMO" in big letters before we even get started.

Name a Halo that didn't have a very linear and repetitive campaign. Heck, name any game that doesn't have a linear and repetitive campaign.
-NO epic scale battles
Like which particular epic-scale battle from which older Halo?
-Where Are the SCARABS??
If they'd put one in then you'd be here complaining about "been there, done that." Oh, and 'Kraken' anybody?
Nothing new here. This is the nature of the animal, unless I've completely forgotten every detail of every campaign that I played for years on end until the next Halo dropped.
What does this mean? That they're too hard to kill? Too easy to kill? Have no personality? What?
-ZERO characterization
The only worthwhile characterization to ever occur in the course of this franchise happened outside the main-line games. This is the same as it ever was.
Don't care, but sorry if you do.
I genuinely feel like there's a tipping point with issues like this where a few people say it and then everyone else just falls in line.
Could it be that she only said she was after revenge as a way of... oh, I don't know... giving the enemy a pretext for keeping her alive???
Again, sorry for your loss. But xbone does 1080/60 or split screen, but not both at once. Why is this so hard for people to understand?
-Content Held Back
When you're in charge of 343 you can shoot all at once and see what that does for the longevity of the game. In the mean time I for one respect their decision. I don't like it, but I respect it.
Yes, we know you would have preferred split screen. Again, sorry.
-Too Short of a campaign
Too short for what? Are you saying that you don't feel like this game was worth the money it cost?
Agreed.
-No Elites in MP
To the end of my days I will not understand why people care about this, but I acknowledge and respect that they do.
-Map rotation is horribly broken ( Have played Raid on Apex 7 12 times in a row on warzone)
Like I never had to play a map twelve times in a row when we voted for maps? The vote is worthless unless your goal is to waste more of a player's time.
Okay.
Campagin theater mode, okay. No forge at launch? Really? Well, okay too, if that's how you feel?
-Too much focus on esports community rather then the general audience which are casual playersI'm not apologizing for this, but I don't think you have to examine Halo 4's chequered past very closely to see why they wanted this title to have a solid competitive foundation. As the least competitive gamer ever, I agree that this game is way too sweaty overall, but there are a few outstanding exceptions to that rule, and there are more to come.

I'm not trying to crap all over your constructive criticism, but a lot of it seemed to me to be the "criticism" without the "constructive." Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I don't think it serves the critic or the subject if no one offers any push back.

Best of luck.

Name a Halo that didn't have a very linear and repetitive campaign. Heck, name any game that doesn't have a linear and repetitive campaign.
-NO epic scale battles
-Where Are the SCARABS??
If they'd put one in then you'd be here complaining about "been there, done that." Oh, and 'Kraken' anybody?
Nothing new here. This is the nature of the animal, unless I've completely forgotten every detail of every campaign that I played for years on end until the next Halo dropped.
What does this mean? That they're too hard to kill? Too easy to kill? Have no personality? What?
-ZERO characterization
The only worthwhile characterization to ever occur in the course of this franchise happened outside the main-line games. This is the same as it ever was.
I genuinely feel like there's a tipping point with issues like this where a few people say it and then everyone else just falls in line.
Could it be that she only said she was after revenge as a way of... oh, I don't know... giving the enemy a pretext for keeping her alive???
Again, sorry for your loss. But xbone does 1080/60 or split screen, but not both at once. Why is this so hard for people to understand?
-Content Held Back
When you're in charge of 343 you can shoot all at once and see what that does for the longevity of the game. In the mean time I for one respect their decision. I don't like it, but I respect it.
-Too Short of a campaign
Too short for what? Are you saying that you don't feel like this game was worth the money it cost?
Agreed.
-No Elites in MP
To the end of my days I will not understand why people care about this, but I acknowledge and respect that they do.
Like I never had to play a map twelve times in a row when we voted for maps? The vote is worthless unless your goal is to waste more of a player's time.
Okay.
Campagin theater mode, okay. No forge at launch? Really? Well, okay too, if that's how you feel?
-Too much focus on esports community rather then the general audience which are casual playersI'm not apologizing for this, but I don't think you have to examine Halo 4's chequered past very closely to see why they wanted this title to have a solid competitive foundation. As the least competitive gamer ever, I agree that this game is way too sweaty overall, but there are a few outstanding exceptions to that rule, and there are more to come.

I'm not trying to crap all over your constructive criticism, but a lot of it seemed to me to be the "criticism" without the "constructive." Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I don't think it serves the critic or the subject if no one offers any push back.

Best of luck.
This person is my hero lol

-NO epic scale battles
-Where Are the SCARABS??
-ZERO characterization
-Content Held Back
-Too Short of a campaign
Agreed.
-No Elites in MP
Okay.

Best of luck.
I honestly agree with you about his Fourm.
Having a lot of fun in this iteration.
It's hard to say that Halo 5 is ruining the series when it is actually retaining players better than the last couple of halo games. There is the argument that much of the monthly update content should have been in the game since release, but overall Halo 5 is the best Halo we've had in a while and probably since Halo 2/3. The textures for forge that MOR added are amazing and will make forge maps nearly as good as homegrown maps from 343. But since 343 won't give us many new maps, I'm desperately waiting for them to pump some forge maps into the slayer and team arena playlists.
Halo 5 isn't "killing" it. It's done it's damage.

People need to realize it's not like hard-release games have any form of time-element to it; it either succeeds, or fails, at launch. Time doesn't continue or change that. It's not like people review games a year or two later; they review it once, AT LAUNCH, then it's done. It's either gotten a good rating or a bad rating; that rating doesn't change with time, nor does a negative rating magically harm anything after it gets released. Each failure is only ONE moment; a SINGLE RELEASE can't slowly kill a franchise as time progresses.

343 made a mistake. And they released their mistake. But that mistake was only one painful stab at release; not a stab and sloooooowwww scrape as time goes on. 343 will hopefully pull that knife out quickly and patch it up with Halo 6; at which point, Halo 6 won't continue to "heal" the franchise after launch: It will either help or hurt at launch; not after launch.
Halo 5 isn't "killing" it. It's done it's damage.

People need to realize it's not like hard-release games have any form of time-element to it; it either succeeds, or fails, at launch. Time doesn't continue or change that. It's not like people review games a year or two later; they review it once, AT LAUNCH, then it's done. It's either gotten a good rating or a bad rating; that rating doesn't change with time, nor does a negative rating magically harm anything after it gets released. Each failure is only ONE moment; a SINGLE RELEASE can't slowly kill a franchise as time progresses.

343 made a mistake. And they released their mistake. But that mistake was only one painful stab at release; not a stab and sloooooowwww scrape as time goes on. 343 will hopefully pull that knife out quickly and patch it up with Halo 6; at which point, Halo 6 won't continue to "heal" the franchise after launch: It will either help or hurt at launch; not after launch.
If a game can't redeem itself after launch then what is the point of releasing post launch content? This line of logic makes no sense in today's gaming reality. I get the expression you have one chance to make a first impression. But that doesn't meant you can't change someone's mind later.
I couldn't agree more with what you said. Halo 5 and Halo 4 were more or less 343 trying out different mechanics. I do agree that the prometheans are not terrible, just not the most fun to fight. They need more vehicles equivalent to the scorpion and warthog or ghost. I think they also need more unit types that are like the hunters and grunts, but definitely take out the Warden and the soldiers. If they take the Halo 4 campaign and all that we have right now in Halo 5 and combine it together with halo 6 for launch then we are in for a treat. I will not be buying Halo 6 on launch date though as I lost trust in 343 with Halo 5, I hope they prove me wrong though and make me take back what I said :)
I agree with all of this. I expected this to be bashing Halo 5. The only thing I disagree on is the elites in multiplayer. I understand why there taken out. Maybe they could get their own game mode, but giving people different character models upsets the balance, and this is the most balanced halo to date, which is why it is my favorite multiplayer wise. I miss the flood, they were a genuinely larger threat than prometheans, and they were less annoying. 100% agree with the need for split screen. Another thing you have to consider is the fact that the FPS genre in general is on the decline. No game today can say they have 200k players online like Halo 3 could, and that isn't for lack of quality. Gamer's tastes shift, gradually, but they do shift.
I see what you mean about the elites, that's all the more reason why invasion should have been brought back or be considered being brought back. It was the best game mode to justify the two different species in multiplayer and it was also a great team based objective game mode that Incorporated all of the halo sandbox. Invasion on Boneyard was a blast.
People who complain about the splitscreen issue irk me; there is no possible way for spiltscreen to have been implemented, with the way Halo 5 does physics calculations.

Halo 5 has the same issue that Fallout 4 had, and that is that if the framerate goes down below 60 FPS, the game literally begins to slow down - as in, it enters slow-mo mode. Having to calculate two different renderings of the game, on the same console, for an advanced game like Halo 5, just isn't very possible, with the X1's hardware.

It's unfortunate, but true.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see splitscreen in Halo 6, but it would take a complete rebuilding of an extremely complex system, and that takes time, and in game development time is everything.
iShylock wrote:

Great thread OP. thank you for taking the time to write it and I'm with you.

Based on 343i's handling of the franchise, Halo 6 will be the 1st Halo game I don't purchase on launch day.
Thank you :)
I have been meaning to write this for a long time, finally got the time to do it now that I finished this last semester! I will be writing another forum soon on my thoughts on how to fix all of the problems I listed as well as ideas on how to really make halo the "killer app" for the Xbox One that everyone wants to own. 343 have a gold mine, they just need to realize what tools to use to make use of that gold.

-NO epic scale battles
-Where Are the SCARABS??
-ZERO characterization
-Content Held Back
-Too Short of a campaign
Agreed.
-No Elites in MP
Okay.

Best of luck.
Comes off as you crapping on my post but I understand it is just the differences between your opinion and my opinion :)

I might sound as if I am bashing Halo 5 at times, partially I am, but that is because I love this franchise to death. It has been my childhood and I think there is lots of great opportunity for spin offs and sequels, but at the moment the franchise is not being handled properly to appeal to halo 1-3 and reach fans.

As for linear mission design. Play Tsavo Highway, The Ark, or The Covenant in Halo 3 and tell me that those missions don't feel epic, big, and offer lots of choice on how to tackle objectives. Also doing it all in split-screen ;) PS just for you to know I would not have been as upset about splitscreen being cut if the game itself justified it, instead Halo 5 is the perfect example of a game that needs it to add more value.

Scarabs were moving and living enemies. The Kraken is a sitting platform of enemies that does not even move, just sits in one spot waiting for you to kill it and the Kraken itself never actually fires at your, look at Halo 3 Scarabs.

Prometheans have too few infantry and vehicle types to really feel like a faction on the same level as the covenant. Also the teleporting into combat and teleporting around during combat is just annoying and not fun, I actually thought the knights in Halo 4 were on a thin line with this, but the soldiers are WAY worse.

Characterization as in atleast allow me to know and care about the character. Halo 2 did a great job with the arbiter, Halo 5 did a pitiful job with Locke. With Locke they also tried to introduce too many characters and did not handle them well for the audience that only plays the game. The general consumer only plays the games, they don't read the books and comics so for them they do not really know: Fred, Linda, Kelly, Locke, Tanaka, and Vale. 6 out of 8 charters not being properly introduced is an issue. Also give the arbiter a bigger role and make him more central, he's an awesome character and 343 nailed his new art design, dude looks BA!

I hope I helped clarify my views for you :)
Idiolectic wrote:
People who complain about the splitscreen issue irk me; there is no possible way for spiltscreen to have been implemented, with the way Halo 5 does physics calculations.

Halo 5 has the same issue that Fallout 4 had, and that is that if the framerate goes down below 60 FPS, the game literally begins to slow down - as in, it enters slow-mo mode. Having to calculate two different renderings of the game, on the same console, for an advanced game like Halo 5, just isn't very possible, with the X1's hardware.

It's unfortunate, but true.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see splitscreen in Halo 6, but it would take a complete rebuilding of an extremely complex system, and that takes time, and in game development time is everything.
Why cant it have implement a system like Hyrule Warriors? 60 fps when only one person is playing and drops to 30 when a second player joins? Obviously this wouldnt work for multiplayer but at least you could do campaign with a friend. i dont know why the game industry decided couch co op should die out, since thats one of the main reasons to own a console over a PC. people that defend the lack of split screen "Irk" me.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 15