OP MasterAndChief

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 15
I do not think I have ever been as let down by a game.
Play Star Wars Battlefront, it will let you down way more than Halo 5
Great thread. I agree. I love the game, but one thing that really gets to me, is that it has taken so long for 343 to introduce content that should have been in the game from the start. Infection, grifball, oddball, forge; all examples of things that previous games in the series have had from the beginning. 343 have said that they will release/keep releasing free DLC, but each update releases content that should have been in the game from the get-go. It shouldn't be an update; these things should already have been there. Also, the choice not to include split-screen is absolutely ridiculous. 30 fps would be acceptable for the game if we had split screen.
Idiolectic wrote:
People who complain about the splitscreen issue irk me; there is no possible way for spiltscreen to have been implemented, with the way Halo 5 does physics calculations.

Halo 5 has the same issue that Fallout 4 had, and that is that if the framerate goes down below 60 FPS, the game literally begins to slow down - as in, it enters slow-mo mode. Having to calculate two different renderings of the game, on the same console, for an advanced game like Halo 5, just isn't very possible, with the X1's hardware.

It's unfortunate, but true.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see splitscreen in Halo 6, but it would take a complete rebuilding of an extremely complex system, and that takes time, and in game development time is everything.
Why cant it have implement a system like Hyrule Warriors? 60 fps when only one person is playing and drops to 30 when a second player joins? Obviously this wouldnt work for multiplayer but at least you could do campaign with a friend. i dont know why the game industry decided couch co op should die out, since thats one of the main reasons to own a console over a PC. people that defend the lack of split screen "Irk" me.
I had just explained why you couldn't just lock the game at 30 FPS for splitscreen - the game slows down its physic calculations as the framerate goes down; this is done as an optimization feature, to allow for the 60 FPS gameplay that we have. The easiest way to explain it, is the engine always assumes that the game will be running at a solid 60 FPS, and therefore does its calculation at that set rate at all times, and as the game slows down so too does the calculations that the engine does. In turn, this quite literally slows the game down, leading to slow-motion gameplay.

An easy example of seeing how this works, is go into Forge, and spawn a few hundred Covenant Prophet holograms, and watch as the game begins to slow down, rather than just get choppy, and lag, as is normal with framerate drops. Everything slows, the animations, movement, etc.

This is extremely simplified, because it's a fairly advanced feature, but it's the best I can do without going into mumbo-jumbo that no one will understand.
You know what? I would like this game more,
If it didn't have the title of 'Halo.'

-Very LINEAR mission design
Name a Halo that didn't have a very linear and repetitive campaign. Heck, name any game that doesn't have a linear and repetitive campaign.
-NO epic scale battles
Like which particular epic-scale battle from which older Halo?

-Linear mission design
Well, you can have a non-linear mission design and end up with a linear repetitive campaign. As for games with non-linear mission design. Then again it comes down to what you define as linear and non-linear, I'd however argue that any of the Deus Ex games are very non-linear in their mission design, to me atleast.

-As for epic Halo Stuff:
Halo CE beach landing and Flood vs Covenanr on Rwo Betrayals
Halo 2's Delta landing and Bridge section
Halo 3 Assault on the Control room with two scarabs
Love Halo 5, campaign wasn't the best, but the multiplayer is the best it has ever been. 60fps, Spartan abilities and sandbox is brilliant.
Why does everyone complain about Jul dying immediately?

Kill everyone from Spartan Ops. Can it be Palmer next? Then after that Roland please... also don't make it cinematic or anything.
Let me say what I think: I really love Halo 5, it has good and bad points, but definetly it IS NOT KILLING the series!
The BAD:
-Prometheans still not fun to fight (Soldiers are very annoying)
My thought about the soldier is just they don't have personality.
-ZERO characterization
Completly agree. it's my main criticism about Halo 5.
-Killing off Jul M'Dama for no reason
don't care
-Terrible story, too few blue team missions
Agreed, where's Master Chief and Blue Team character development?
-Focused too much on coop yet NO SPLIT SCREEN?!?!
no split-screen is a punch on the face of the fans
-Too much focus on 60fps, graphics are good but not great, same with textures
Graphics are good, but not "oh, look at this!". 60fps was a very great introduction and it should be in Halo 6.
-Too Short of a campaign
Maybe 3 more missions to develop characters better.
-Not enough Playlist at launch
Yes
-No Elites in MP
I will never understand why people care about this, it's just irrelevant to me.
-No armor unlocks for progression and skull collecting
Yes. So why skulls are there?
-No Campaign Theater and no Forge at Launch
I NEED theather in campaign!
-Too much focus on esports community rather then the general audience which are casual players
I like the esports feeling in Halo 5.

The GOOD:
-Soundtrack
It's just INCREDIBLE! Thankyou Kazuma Jinnouchi.
-Sanghelios Visuals
Where's this on Multiplayer, 343 Industries?
-Bringing back fan favorite characters( still no character building of them though, poorly executed)
Agreed!
-Making all Weapons have a purpose
This is what makes Halo 5 Guardians one of the best Halo games, IMO.
-Spartan abilities and movement is perfect blend of modern day design with old halo
Finally! Halo 5 Guardians is definitely a Halo game, because the core gameplay is there, and the new mechanics make it fresh and new
-REQ Versions of guns
Dying Star, Whiplash, Blood of Suban, I love you!
-Forge is getting better and better (just need AI in forge now to create our own missions)
Yes, but needs more improvements.
Idiolectic wrote:
People who complain about the splitscreen issue irk me; there is no possible way for spiltscreen to have been implemented, with the way Halo 5 does physics calculations.

Halo 5 has the same issue that Fallout 4 had, and that is that if the framerate goes down below 60 FPS, the game literally begins to slow down - as in, it enters slow-mo mode. Having to calculate two different renderings of the game, on the same console, for an advanced game like Halo 5, just isn't very possible, with the X1's hardware.

It's unfortunate, but true.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see splitscreen in Halo 6, but it would take a complete rebuilding of an extremely complex system, and that takes time, and in game development time is everything.
How could you say "people who complain about split screen irk me" when split screen has been a staple of the franchise since its inception?

How could we "irk" you when Halo 5's campaign is more dependent upon COOP to maximize a players in game experience than any previous title and yet, there is no coop match making for the campaign.

I believe it makes more sense to focus your angst in 343i's general direction for making poor business development decisions, and not the fanbase who simply want to enjoy the game they love, the way they're used to playing it.
I do not think I have ever been as let down by a game.
Play Star Wars Battlefront, it will let you down way more than Halo 5
look at what you did 343i, we now have Halo and Battlefront (a game that never had an enjoyable campaign, ever) being used in the same sentence.

Need I say more?
I actually think the series hit rock bottom between H4 and MCC (with Reach beginning the series downfall). H5 is actually the turning point.

Yes the campain is terrible , from a narrative standpoint. Yes it lacked truly open spaces (non of the halo games had many open levels, but H4 and 5 had 0). But H5 does linear better than all of the previous games, with plenty of routes and choices to be made in each environment. Also, the multiplayer formula is fantastic, and should serve as the blueprint for future installments.

now 343 should can use the next few years focusing on making sure they don't fall into the same narrative and level design issues they have with H4 and H5.

with a better campaign, and some minor tweaks to H5s MP, H6 has the potential to be fantastic.
Here's a little Halo history lesson for you.

Halo 2 is sooo bad, Halo 3 better be good or this series is dead.
Halo 3 is so buggy, Halo Reach better be good or Halo is dead.
Halo Reach is not Halo, 343 better bring Halo back to it's roots with Halo 4 or the series is dead.
Halo 4 isn't a Halo game, thank goodness MCC is coming to save Halo.
MCC is soo broke, 343 better hope Halo 5 is great, or this series is finished.

Halo 5 is killing the series, Halo 6 save it.

If you didn't stop playing after the Frankenstein abomination that was The Master Chief collection, I'm afraid that you're never going to quit playing Halo. Their will never be a last straw. MCC was a great test for 343 to find out how loyal Halo fans really are. Then with Halo 5 slow feeding us things that were in the other games at launch and calling them "content drops". I love Halo and I think 343 is ok, but at least call these content drops what they really are. They're patches and game updates of things that should have already been their. I'd rather pay $10 every few months or so and get a batch of quality maps, rather than one rehashed map per month. Not to mention the fact that we have to wait for things like Fiesta? Are you serious? Fiesta wasn't in the game from the beginning? Multi-team isn't a commonplace playlist? Infection just now arrived? Maybe Halo 6 will have us waiting 6 months for SWAT or Team Snipers.

Their is some good to Halo 5. I actually enjoy the gameplay much more than Halo 4. I just don't like the way 343 does things post launch.
I love the Halo Series. It is one of my favorite game series for far too many reasons to list. I have grown up with the series and I actually thought Halo 4 was a good first attempt by 343 industries. So I gave Halo 4 a slide and still enjoyed it, but for Halo 5 they needed to prove themselves. I can't describe my level of disappointment with Halo 5. I do not think I have ever been as let down by a game. How someone can be proud of this game and think it is as good a game as Halo 1-3 and reach befuddles me. Its a good game but not a Halo Game. 343 can still improve though and win back lost fans. I am listing this list not to hate on 343 but rather offer areas that I think they should improve on. These are all my personal opinions and are meant as constructive criticism.

The BAD:
-NO epic scale battles
-Where Are the SCARABS??
-Even Vehicle missions are just larger hallways
-ZERO characterization
-Halsey wanting revenge to not caring anymore
-Content Held Back
-Too Short of a campaign
-No Elites in MP
-Map rotation is horribly broken ( Have played Raid on Apex 7 12 times in a row on warzone)
-Too much focus on esports community rather then the general audience which are casual players

The GOOD:
-Soundtrack
-Sanghelios Visuals
-Bringing back fan favorite characters( still no character building of them though, poorly executed)
-Making all Weapons have a purpose
-Some interesting directions on where the story could go (bring back the flood and the brutes, lots of factions)
-Spartan abilities and movement is perfect blend of modern day design with old halo
-REQ Versions of guns
-GREAT post launch but a lot of it was held back
-Forge is getting better and better (just need AI in forge now to create our own missions)

Huge Halo fan and still love the series to death, but it will die and is dying off due to so many missteps and misdirections. If they continue the series like this then I will no longer buy halo and instead just watch the cut-scenes on YouTube. At the moment in the market there are far better games available. HALO 5 is a good game, great value. However, it is the WORST 'halo game' in my opinion.
All of these are valid reasons, and I agree with them. But halo 5 wasn't in dev for too long, that's why it was half baked, however h6 has been in dev for 5 years, thats longer than h5 dev

Halo Reach is not Halo, 343 better bring Halo back to it's roots with Halo 4 or the series is dead.

If you didn't stop playing after the Frankenstein abomination that was The Master Chief collection, I'm afraid that you're never going to quit playing Halo. Their will never be a last straw. MCC was a great test for 343 to find out how loyal Halo fans really are. Then with Halo 5 slow feeding us things that were in the other games at launch and calling them "content drops". I love Halo and I think 343 is ok, but at least call these content drops what they really are. They're patches and game updates of things that should have already been their. I'd rather pay $10 every few months or so and get a batch of quality maps, rather than one rehashed map per month. Not to mention the fact that we have to wait for things like Fiesta? Are you serious? Fiesta wasn't in the game from the beginning? Multi-team isn't a commonplace playlist? Infection just now arrived? Maybe Halo 6 will have us waiting 6 months for SWAT or Team Snipers.

Their is some good to Halo 5. I actually enjoy the gameplay much more than Halo 4. I just don't like the way 343 does things post launch.
HERETIC. How can you say h2 was bad? It was great have you played the sacred icon or metropolis? H reach kinda was halo, even though nitty gritty it was halo
Allow me to preface by saying "IMO" in big letters before we even get started.

Name a Halo that didn't have a very linear and repetitive campaign. Heck, name any game that doesn't have a linear and repetitive campaign.
-NO epic scale battles
-Where Are the SCARABS??
If they'd put one in then you'd be here complaining about "been there, done that." Oh, and 'Kraken' anybody?
Nothing new here. This is the nature of the animal, unless I've completely forgotten every detail of every campaign that I played for years on end until the next Halo dropped.
What does this mean? That they're too hard to kill? Too easy to kill? Have no personality? What?
-ZERO characterization
The only worthwhile characterization to ever occur in the course of this franchise happened outside the main-line games. This is the same as it ever was.
Don't care, but sorry if you do.
I genuinely feel like there's a tipping point with issues like this where a few people say it and then everyone else just falls in line.
Could it be that she only said she was after revenge as a way of... oh, I don't know... giving the enemy a pretext for keeping her alive???
Again, sorry for your loss. But xbone does 1080/60 or split screen, but not both at once. Why is this so hard for people to understand?
-Content Held Back
When you're in charge of 343 you can shoot all at once and see what that does for the longevity of the game. In the mean time I for one respect their decision. I don't like it, but I respect it.
Yes, we know you would have preferred split screen. Again, sorry.
-Too Short of a campaign
Too short for what? Are you saying that you don't feel like this game was worth the money it cost?
Agreed.
-No Elites in MP
To the end of my days I will not understand why people care about this, but I acknowledge and respect that they do.
-Map rotation is horribly broken ( Have played Raid on Apex 7 12 times in a row on warzone)
Like I never had to play a map twelve times in a row when we voted for maps? The vote is worthless unless your goal is to waste more of a player's time.
Okay.
Campagin theater mode, okay. No forge at launch? Really? Well, okay too, if that's how you feel?
-Too much focus on esports community rather then the general audience which are casual playersI'm not apologizing for this, but I don't think you have to examine Halo 4's chequered past very closely to see why they wanted this title to have a solid competitive foundation. As the least competitive gamer ever, I agree that this game is way too sweaty overall, but there are a few outstanding exceptions to that rule, and there are more to come.

I'm not trying to crap all over your constructive criticism, but a lot of it seemed to me to be the "criticism" without the "constructive." Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I don't think it serves the critic or the subject if no one offers any push back.

Best of luck.
Comes off as you crapping on my post but I understand it is just the differences between your opinion and my opinion :)

I might sound as if I am bashing Halo 5 at times, partially I am, but that is because I love this franchise to death. It has been my childhood and I think there is lots of great opportunity for spin offs and sequels, but at the moment the franchise is not being handled properly to appeal to halo 1-3 and reach fans.

As for linear mission design. Play Tsavo Highway, The Ark, or The Covenant in Halo 3 and tell me that those missions don't feel epic, big, and offer lots of choice on how to tackle objectives. Also doing it all in split-screen ;) PS just for you to know I would not have been as upset about splitscreen being cut if the game itself justified it, instead Halo 5 is the perfect example of a game that needs it to add more value.

Scarabs were moving and living enemies. The Kraken is a sitting platform of enemies that does not even move, just sits in one spot waiting for you to kill it and the Kraken itself never actually fires at your, look at Halo 3 Scarabs.

Prometheans have too few infantry and vehicle types to really feel like a faction on the same level as the covenant. Also the teleporting into combat and teleporting around during combat is just annoying and not fun, I actually thought the knights in Halo 4 were on a thin line with this, but the soldiers are WAY worse.

Characterization as in atleast allow me to know and care about the character. Halo 2 did a great job with the arbiter, Halo 5 did a pitiful job with Locke. With Locke they also tried to introduce too many characters and did not handle them well for the audience that only plays the game. The general consumer only plays the games, they don't read the books and comics so for them they do not really know: Fred, Linda, Kelly, Locke, Tanaka, and Vale. 6 out of 8 charters not being properly introduced is an issue. Also give the arbiter a bigger role and make him more central, he's an awesome character and 343 nailed his new art design, dude looks BA!

I hope I helped clarify my views for you :)
"As for linear mission design. Play Tsavo Highway, The Ark, or The Covenant in Halo 3 and tell me that those missions don't feel epic, big, and offer lots of choice on how to tackle objectives. Also doing it all in split-screen"

Okay, now play Crow's Nest & Floodgate, and then you can see the repetitiveness in these missions. And that's just Halo 3. How about the fact that The second half of HAlo CE is just you going around the first half backwards?

"Scarabs were moving and living enemies. The Kraken is a sitting platform of enemies that does not even move, just sits in one spot waiting for you to kill it and the Kraken itself never actually fires at your, look at Halo 3 Scarabs."

The Kraken reminds me of Halo 2 Scarabs. It looks threatening, but it just sits there and wait for you to destroy it.

"The general consumer only plays the games, they don't read the books and comics so for them they do not really know: Fred, Linda, Kelly, Locke, Tanaka, and Vale. 6 out of 8 charters not being properly introduced is an issue."This isn't a 343i thing, Bungie did that all the time. We go from "we're the only ones left" in Halo CE to "Hey Johnson's alive for no reason or explanation!" in Halo 2. Then we go from Chief heading to Earth and everyone else on Installation 05 in Halo 2 to everyone beating Chief to Earth in Halo 3, with no explanation in between.

And don't forget Halo Reach.. basically as a whole.
Yes the campain is terrible , from a narrative standpoint. Yes it lacked truly open spaces (non of the halo games had many open levels, but H4 and 5 had 0). But H5 does linear better than all of the previous games, with plenty of routes and choices to be made in each environment. Also, the multiplayer formula is fantastic, and should serve as the blueprint for future installments.

with a better campaign, and some minor tweaks to H5s MP, H6 has the potential to be fantastic.
Coundn't agree more.

HERETIC. How can you say h2 was bad? It was great have you played the sacred icon or metropolis? H reach kinda was halo, even though nitty gritty it was halo
I'm not saying any of this personally. I was on the bnet forum for many many years and then here. I'm just saying what I've seen. Trust me, Halo 2 is my all time favorite Halo game. Whether you want to believe it or not the forums were always filled with hate. It had it's own hate website "halo 2 sucks". No matter how good or bad a Halo game is, the forums are going to be mostly hate and such.
Allow me to preface by saying "IMO" in big letters before we even get started.

-NO epic scale battles
-Where Are the SCARABS??
If they'd put one in then you'd be here complaining about "been there, done that." Oh, and 'Kraken' anybody?
Nothing new here. This is the nature of the animal, unless I've completely forgotten every detail of every campaign that I played for years on end until the next Halo dropped.
What does this mean? That they're too hard to kill? Too easy to kill? Have no personality? What?
-ZERO characterization
The only worthwhile characterization to ever occur in the course of this franchise happened outside the main-line games. This is the same as it ever was.
Don't care, but sorry if you do.
I genuinely feel like there's a tipping point with issues like this where a few people say it and then everyone else just falls in line.
Could it be that she only said she was after revenge as a way of... oh, I don't know... giving the enemy a pretext for keeping her alive???
Again, sorry for your loss. But xbone does 1080/60 or split screen, but not both at once. Why is this so hard for people to understand?
-Content Held Back
When you're in charge of 343 you can shoot all at once and see what that does for the longevity of the game. In the mean time I for one respect their decision. I don't like it, but I respect it.
Yes, we know you would have preferred split screen. Again, sorry.
-Too Short of a campaign
Too short for what? Are you saying that you don't feel like this game was worth the money it cost?
Agreed.
-No Elites in MP
To the end of my days I will not understand why people care about this, but I acknowledge and respect that they do.
Like I never had to play a map twelve times in a row when we voted for maps? The vote is worthless unless your goal is to waste more of a player's time.
Okay.
Campagin theater mode, okay. No forge at launch? Really? Well, okay too, if that's how you feel?
-Too much focus on esports community rather then the general audience which are casual playersI'm not apologizing for this, but I don't think you have to examine Halo 4's chequered past very closely to see why they wanted this title to have a solid competitive foundation. As the least competitive gamer ever, I agree that this game is way too sweaty overall, but there are a few outstanding exceptions to that rule, and there are more to come.

I'm not trying to crap all over your constructive criticism, but a lot of it seemed to me to be the "criticism" without the "constructive." Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I don't think it serves the critic or the subject if no one offers any push back.

Best of luck.
I agree with much of this and I'm gonna share some comments
Out of all the halo titles I've played, this campaign has the most expansive missions. There are different routes you can take but lets face it, you have one goal and keep it simple.
-NO epic scale battles
There were a good amount of battles in this game, but this is not the 3rd installment of the new trilogy so you are going to have to wait on taking down a guardian.
Few blue team missions does not equate a terrible story. Omg, this is the worst excuse to say its a bad story. Blue team missions, it felt long and in my opinion, had the most dialogue between the villains and master chief. Osiris were just there trying to rescue them as everything was unfolding. After awhile, you do realize it.
-Content Held BackFor a good cause... lol At least we don't have to pay for more content on top of a microtransaction system in place.
-Map rotation is horribly broken ( Have played Raid on Apex 7 12 times in a row on warzoneI find that very hard to believe lol You haven't even been playing warzone or arena, which means this is either your real account or a spoof. But that's none of my business -sips coffee-
-No Campaign Theater and no Forge at LaunchI could care less about a campaign theater, but Forge came out strong and probably is the strongest forge I have ever seen. They just need to add Forge world, and its golden (and other stuff)
As if Halo multiplayer was ever casual. Even playing 4-way splitscreen in Halo 2 was very competitive. If this game was casual, it would be insanely boring. When you fight against real actual people, expect them to go hard, cause its fun. You are comparing your skills with others so it is a display of who is better, what multiplayer should be.

Things that never happened for $200
I agree I feel like halo is just digging it's own grave after halo 4.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 15