Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Halo 5 is not casual/beginner friendly.

OP Steve Vengence

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Halo 5 is extremely unfriendly to people who have not play it for months. Halo 5 is designed to be a competitive game with the push for arena and warzone. People say warzone is the social game mode for all casuals or beginners but, the issue with warzone is that it rewards people who have played the game longer. People who haven't been playing for months will be destroyed by the good REQs that people have grinded for and the casuals or beginners will be discouraged to play warzone again. Then there's arena, which is proclaimed only for competitive. Casuals and beginners will again be demolished by the good players and be discouraged to play more arena. I believe the lack of real social playlists and push for competitive has caused the decline in the population since whoever has not been playing since launch will feel discouraged to play Halo again after going 2-15 in arena or being farmed in warzone. The Warzone Firefight update is allowing anyone to play Halo without gold but, would any new players or casuals really want to join a game where everyone is already suited up with powerful REQs or has a diamond rank in arena and be destroyed. No, the only people playing during the WZ: FF update will be the same 100,000 people who have playing since launch due to Halo 5's competitive nature.
You do have a good point, but I have to disagree about not playing for months.

I didn't play for months, came back, started playing regularly, was still doing really good. I have the highest K/D for Warzone, mostly as a solo player, in my company, and almost all of them are WAAAAAAY above me in Spartan Levels and REQs. It just proves that Warzone doesn't destroy players who can't keep up in REQs. But I don't represent everyone else, so here is what I will say:

For new players that haven't played Halo 5 before, or people who are just simply horrendous at the game, Warzone can be frustrating for them. So a playlist is needed for them to learn in.

This playlist is a casual/beginner playlist, that is unranked, for new players or (maybe) terrible players to have fun in. Once you start doing good enough, it should lock you out, permanently.
It is pretty brutal, maybe try Warzone to get back into it.

The other problem is it's aiming mechanics are really different to other FPS games, so you can't just transfer skills.
Yeah I mean for the most part I agree, it's not a friendly game if you aren't well seasoned in fps. However, I come back from DOOM and CoD all the time to play Halo. I find it actually helps going from those games to Halo, or it might just be the break from Halo that seems to help, but I do generally notice that I play better ( notice I didn't say good, as I'm not great at Halo whatsoever) after a hiatus from Halo.

IMO as long as you are a good fps player, you shouldn't have a problem playing Halo, although it will take a great deal of time and practice to master.
l Z3B l wrote:

The other problem is it's aiming mechanics are really different to other FPS games, so you can't just transfer skills.
I disagree, I think fps skills transfer greatly from one to another. Sure they all differ, some more than others, but the idea of putting your reticle on someone and shooting them never changes. If you are a good fps player, you can be reasonably competitive in almost any fps (apart from overwatch as I would argue that's not a traditional fps).
Not to mention Arena has a Smurf plague.
By the way, I argue this for the casuals and beginners, not for myself. I have already played hours of Halo 5 and consider to be of average skill. This post is more for awareness of how Halo 5 is experienced for not-as-skilled players or people trying to get into the franchise. The population, I believe, is suffering because of the lack of social game types, learning curve or skill of the better players.
You complained about Halo 4 being easy...eat your complain now.
Doesn't bother me too much, have a warm up games after a few months of leave and I'm usually then pretty decent.
Or you know have a good balance like Halo 3 did.
GHOST 9o5 wrote:
You do have a good point, but I have to disagree about not playing for months.

I didn't play for months, came back, started playing regularly, was still doing really good. I have the highest K/D for Warzone, mostly as a solo player, in my company, and almost all of them are WAAAAAAY above me in Spartan Levels and REQs. It just proves that Warzone doesn't destroy players who can't keep up in REQs. But I don't represent everyone else, so here is what I will say:

For new players that haven't played Halo 5 before, or people who are just simply horrendous at the game, Warzone can be frustrating for them. So a playlist is needed for them to learn in.

This playlist is a casual/beginner playlist, that is unranked, for new players or (maybe) terrible players to have fun in. Once you start doing good enough, it should lock you out, permanently.
ProTip: If a player is still learning the game, don't play the placement matches in Arena. Play Warzone or BTB only. This will help novice players avoid the SWEATY curve.
This is true to a degree. I got H5 at the release and had earned a lot of WZ weapons and vehicles by the time my lil' bro started playing. When he first tried WZ, he felt he was at disadvantage since he had no REQ cards. As everyone around him had DMRs and Banshees. So I let him use my acct to try it again, and he said it was a complete 180. Having a wider arsenal available made the game more enjoyable and he could choose weapons better suited to his playing style. While he had fun, he didn't want to grind for RP and he's more of an Arena player anyways.
Or you know have a good balance like Halo 3 did.
EXACTLY... Devs who know what they're doing and/or don't jack with things too much can find a good balance. If they don't, or they jack with too many things, they just bounce from one extreme to the other until they find it. Those who don't understand this choose a side and make ignorant, snarky, useless replies.
GHOST 9o5 wrote:
What a great solution to players wanting to stomp others in social playlists, at least for this particular playlist. Question is how good you have to be for this system to become active? 343 does keep tabs on player ranks even though they are playing in social playlists, so I guess that would be the same method to determine whether players are good enough to play on their own.
It will be next week when Warzone Firefight gets here! :)
l Z3B l wrote:

I disagree, I think fps skills transfer greatly from one to another. Sure they all differ, some more than others, but the idea of putting your reticle on someone and shooting them never changes. If you are a good fps player, you can be reasonably competitive in almost any fps (apart from overwatch as I would argue that's not a traditional fps).
yeah but the way that aiming works in terms of like acceleration and how sensitive the sticks are on screen is a little funky. i get what you mean though and mainly agree, just that the actual technical mechanic of aiming in Halo 5 specifically is just a little off.
l Z3B l wrote:

I would say wait for ff.
I say "tough..." If a new player loves and connects with the game enough, they will appreciate the mechanics and steeper learning curve and aim to improve their level of play...

The game should not make sacrifices in quality in order to hold the hands of new players. What fun is a game that isn't challenging?
Playing halo is like riding a bike. Just play a few warm up matches and your good to go.

If you want casual play, play arena
If you want to fight tryhards play "social"
Been that way since h2
I don't get why this game has no real social lists.

Even what is there like btb is not really social. Feels just like ranked btb.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2