Halo 5 magnum was a MISTAKE

OP epicmexican475

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
all the "if its so OP just use it" or "its not that good you need skill to use it" are boring predictable ando not feedback, its infurating that the pistol usurped the role of the BR and DMR and not seeing people complain about it,. and i know exactly why, being with the franchise over the years i remember the clasic "slayer is boring make slayer BR the defoult" and the such and now that you basicaly have it you dont have to work to learn the maps and spawn of precicion weapons you dont want it taken away at the games balancing expense,

i apreatiate the role tha magnum suposed to be: a reliable pocket gun able to take out targets consistently, but this aint it.Halo 5 has in my opinon (excluding the BR and SMG) an amazing weapon balnce that is just trown out the window by the magnum being what it is, it is puting it simply a scopless DMR and i challenge and will gladly and openly admit to be prouven wrong.

in an ideal world the game would have bullet physics and i think thats the best rout in an overall balanced but yet competitve adn most importantly fun sandbox, even better to have what many people who love clasic halo call "a utility based sandbox" you can have a mix of both to better represent the weapons role, having a similar but less acurate magnum with a slow bullet physic would creat a balanced but competitve starting weapon to acompany the AR as the classic starting weapons, i could go on on how it could be good for the other weapons aswell but the post is getting too long
Is it though?

I always pick up the BR and (especially) the DMR on maps that need mid-long shooting. They are way more accurate / damaging. Certainly easier to scope with (particularly the DMR).
When you have 5 weapons, not including variants or DLC, that are all functional clones of one another you are going to end up with one weapon that stands above the rest.

The H5 Magnum isn't doing anything that the CE Pistol, H2/H3 BR, and Reach DMR haven't done before, there are just more redundant weapons laying around. No one is going to bother picking up a gun that does 95% of the same job as the one you spawn with. If you want people to pick up other weapons than the weapons need to actually be unique and have something to offer. The simplest solution would be to remove a few weapons and redesign others, but some folks don't like hearing that and demand we keep everything and act surprised when half the weapons are boring clones that are not worth picking up.

The Halo 5 Magnum isn't a problem, the boring shallow sandbox design is the problem. We need to spawn with 1 strong versatile accurate headshot weapon, I don't personally care whether it takes the shape of a Magnum or BR or anything else which would be supported by a set of unique pickup weapons. We don't need 1 spawn weapon and then 4 other reskins of that same spawn weapon.
I think I understand what you are saying but I also disagree. The BR and DMR always, to me, felt like they were more consistent and better at range than the magnum. I also really liked the feel of the magnum. H5 felt a little like Halo 1 with the pistol start. However, I am totally ready to leave it behind and explore another game where there is BR start, or something different!
I think the magnum should be like it was in reach... not great, but acceptable.
I think the Magnum is representative of Halo 5's 'lethalization' of all the weapons. If all the weapons are good at killing, the Magnum needed to stand out from the crowd so it became more powerful than I would have preferred. It's not great on larger maps, but I do agree it is very good in smaller arenas. I think Halo Infinite should go for a Halo Reach style Magnum where it's a usable mid range weapon, but is outclassed by dedicated range weapons like the DMR and Battle Rifle.
I think the Magnum is representative of Halo 5's 'lethalization' of all the weapons. If all the weapons are good at killing, the Magnum needed to stand out from the crowd so it became more powerful than I would have preferred. It's not great on larger maps, but I do agree it is very good in smaller arenas. I think Halo Infinite should go for a Halo Reach style Magnum where it's a usable mid range weapon, but is outclassed by dedicated range weapons like the DMR and Battle Rifle.
I'd prefer a solution that doesn't make the Magnum worthless. Of all the options we could go with regarding the magnum, the Reach and H4 variants are easily the worst as they serve no purpose when we could just cut out the middle man and just spawn with a BR or something similar. There is no room in the sandbox for a weapon that is inferior by design.
I disagree I think the magnum is the best part of H5. I hope Infinite also uses it as the starting weapon and then things like the BR be useful pickups (not like right now).
I absolutely get where you are coming from, but unless Halo: Infinite includes A LOT more precision weapon pickups on the map, I don't see the magnum being replaced as a universal precision weapon. Remember how AR/Pistol spawns in Halo 3 (especially in BTB) made you feel nigh helpless until you get a BR or Carbine? Map and weapon control is nice and I'm all for it (the lack of it in H4 was my second biggest pet peeve with that game), but the universal (useful) precision weapon has to stay. Prior to the weapon rebalance, H5's pickup precision weapons were still worth going for since they all beat the magnum in some area or another, but they were never outright strong enough to let you dominate magnum players who know what they are doing.
It's probably the best starting utility weapon, balance wise, that a Halo game has ever had. The BR in Halo 2 and 3, and the DMR in Reach were better than any other precision weapons, so there was no point in picking up other precision weapons if you started with them. AR start games left you at the mercy of anyone with power weapons or precision weapons. The Halo 5 Magnum gives you the ability to fight off spawn, but I'll pick up a DMR, Carbine, or Light Rifle anytime I see one. They all give you a more effective maximum range. The BR is a bit useless now after they nerfed it, but the weapon sandbox is still pretty balanced in terms of most weapons being useful and worth picking up. Its one of the things Halo 5 did right.
Carbine start!
Honestly H5's original weapon balance felt almost perfect to me. Sure things were extremely lethal, but they all executed better in their respective areas, like the SMG was a powerhouse at close range, AR at close to mid range, The BR, DMR and Magnum all worked in different ranges, The BR and DMR would tend to beat the Magnum, although the Magnum could still beat the weapons. Something I liked about the weapon balance. Now it's Magnum or nothing, which I like the magnum, but it being the only weapon to use is...pretty boring not gonna lie. That's when I think the HCS scene shined, in mid 2017 when all the automatics were gone but the other weapons on the map were still very viable to use and not just back up weapons.
Broey Broe wrote:
Honestly H5's original weapon balance felt almost perfect to me. Sure things were extremely lethal, but they all executed better in their respective areas, like the SMG was a powerhouse at close range, AR at close to mid range, The BR, DMR and Magnum all worked in different ranges, The BR and DMR would tend to beat the Magnum, although the Magnum could still beat the weapons. Something I liked about the weapon balance. Now it's Magnum or nothing, which I like the magnum, but it being the only weapon to use is...pretty boring not gonna lie. That's when I think the HCS scene shined, in mid 2017 when all the automatics were gone but the other weapons on the map were still very viable to use and not just back up weapons.
Exactly! I remember when H5 first came out and the variety of weaponry that could be used. Now it's all magnum which nulled the entire multiplayer experience. Does anyone know why the magnum became the end all be all weapon?
Broey Broe wrote:
Exactly! I remember when H5 first came out and the variety of weaponry that could be used. Now it's all magnum which nulled the entire multiplayer experience. Does anyone know why the magnum became the end all be all weapon?
I think it's mainly cause its the most skilled precision weapon (*Maybe* besides the sniper) and they probably didn't wanna change that. It has one of the more satisfying skill gaps and I'll admit H5's skill ceiling has raised to an extreme degree since 2017 I think. I will still say H2 and H3 are more skilled than H5, but H5 in terms of its own thing is a highly skilled game and the magnum being one of the key things to master.
the halo 5 magnum is the best magnum in my opinion as it can be used at all ranges and doesn't feel clunky like in halo 4, it also takes a lot of skill and only the true masters of the magnum will reach a high rank which means the game is more balanced towards skill level
Posted in a similar thread but the Magnum's range is where it becomes OP. It shouldn't outshine the BR, and in fact it should have less range than the AR as well. It's niche should be a close range precision weapon.
Darwi wrote:
Is it though?

I always pick up the BR and (especially) the DMR on maps that need mid-long shooting. They are way more accurate / damaging. Certainly easier to scope with (particularly the DMR).
It is. Hop into any high level ranked match and you'll rarely see a BR used, if at all. The DMR is worthwhile but the BR has a shorter effective range than the Magnum.

Still fun to use though, even if it puts me at a disadvantage.
My friends and I did an experimental gametype where all we did was switch the starting secondary to the gunfighter magnum and played with a bunch of randos on customs. The results:
The PRIMARY weapon Assault Rifle saw more use, as well as weapon pick ups were made more useful.

Also, a lot of kids quit the game when they realized they were spawning with a gunfighter.

What this tells me: the weapon that is meant to be a SECONDARY (as in a back up) is more useful than most weapons on the map and is treated as the primary because the assault rifle is too insignificant in most situations.

It was actually a lot more fun playing with gunfighter secondary, since it acted as a secondary
FTA Spear wrote:
My friends and I did an experimental gametype where all we did was switch the starting secondary to the gunfighter magnum and played with a bunch of randos on customs. The results:
The PRIMARY weapon Assault Rifle saw more use, as well as weapon pick ups were made more useful.

Also, a lot of kids quit the game when they realized they were spawning with a gunfighter.

What this tells me: the weapon that is meant to be a SECONDARY (as in a back up) is more useful than most weapons on the map and is treated as the primary because the assault rifle is too insignificant in most situations.

It was actually a lot more fun playing with gunfighter secondary, since it acted as a secondary
brother that sounds like one of the best gametype in halo 5! gret job!
I would love to try that game type. Sounds fun as hell.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4