Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Halo 5 magnum was a MISTAKE

OP epicmexican475

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
yes but that kinda came fro my 3rd world blood, still care to give an imput my friend? xD
Sorry for sounding salty but the Halo CE magnum was probably worse than the halo 5 but seen as 343 made it the Halo 5 magnum its wrong but when bungie do its fine
It's sort of funny how op it is, I just got to diamond rank in slayer and almost nobody ever uses the ar.
Every single Halo game has had a main utility weapon with which you spawn in competetive game modes.
CE - Magnum
H2 - BR
H3 - BR
H:R - DMR
H4 - BR (I guess, as legendary slayer was the only remotely competetive thing in that game)
H5 - Magnum

I really can't understand what's the problem with magnum being the utility weapon in H5. While it's a very versatile weapon there are still lots of weapons on the maps that are worth picking. Light rifle has a very good damage output and larger magazine than the magnum and it works on all ranges. Carbine is a fantastic weapon to descope enemies and DMR is the best for long range. The only two weapons that aren't worth picking now are the BR and SMG as OP noted

I've never really cared one way or the other what the utility weapon is as long as it serves its role well. H5 magnum isn't even that OP compared to how the utility weapons in previous Halos compare to the rest of the sandbox in each game. H5 probably has the largest quantity of viable weapons out of all Halos (no talking about REQs but just the base weapons). When Halo Infinite rolls around I don't care what the utility weapon is and I really can't understand why anyone would care about it beyond the weapon filling the utility role well.
Sorry for sounding salty but the Halo CE magnum was probably worse than the halo 5 but seen as 343 made it the Halo 5 magnum its wrong but when bungie do its fine
yes indeed the halo CE magnum is WAAAY worse but i have not seen anybody on this tread defend it, at least not me
Every single Halo game has had a main utility weapon with which you spawn in competetive game modes.
CE - Magnum
H2 - BR
H3 - BR
H:R - DMR
H4 - BR (I guess, as legendary slayer was the only remotely competetive thing in that game)
H5 - Magnum

I really can't understand what's the problem with magnum being the utility weapon in H5. While it's a very versatile weapon there are still lots of weapons on the maps that are worth picking. Light rifle has a very good damage output and larger magazine than the magnum and it works on all ranges. Carbine is a fantastic weapon to descope enemies and DMR is the best for long range. The only two weapons that aren't worth picking now are the BR and SMG as OP noted

I've never really cared one way or the other what the utility weapon is as long as it serves its role well. H5 magnum isn't even that OP compared to how the utility weapons in previous Halos compare to the rest of the sandbox in each game. H5 probably has the largest quantity of viable weapons out of all Halos (no talking about REQs but just the base weapons). When Halo Infinite rolls around I don't care what the utility weapon is and I really can't understand why anyone would care about it beyond the weapon filling the utility role well.
while this is true, you are missing that it worked because those weapons were not primarly starting weapons after some updates, i belive it was only in objective games and BTB from halo 3 onword, the thing is that those were usually pick ups and not starting weapons for exeption in competitive gamemodes, and thats where the isue is, the magnum is too strong in competitive levels, it is simply too acurate, the other examples you have provided are very valid the carbine is fast killing and Dscpoing machine, while the light rifle has interesting mecanics for a high DPS weapon, but those are still pick ups, as ive said before i understand the "need" of a verstile precicion starting weapon, but the halo 5 magnum is too much, probably it has been pointed out befor and im sorry but ill ask again: What really is the diference betwen the magnum and the DMR over the scoped distance and magazine size? same bullets for a perfect kill and arguavly betr TTK for its fast fire rate, and its red reticle ranges for you can still cross map with the magnum but ill concede that it is skill dependant, but the rest of the sandbox gets washed away into irrelevance by the magnum real only competitors were those 4 guns you mentioned with the exeption of power weapons and the plasma pistol in vehicle maps
Yeah a magnum should be like halo 3 garbage but good for infection and backup weapon if run out of ammo now it's almost always the magnum its accurate good damage good range shoots pretty fast I don't like it it's to good for a magnum
Halo 5 has the most balanced sandbox to date. The SMG is really the only weapon that doesn't have a place.
WerepyreND wrote:
When you have 5 weapons, not including variants or DLC, that are all functional clones of one another you are going to end up with one weapon that stands above the rest.

The H5 Magnum isn't doing anything that the CE Pistol, H2/H3 BR, and Reach DMR haven't done before, there are just more redundant weapons laying around. No one is going to bother picking up a gun that does 95% of the same job as the one you spawn with. If you want people to pick up other weapons than the weapons need to actually be unique and have something to offer. The simplest solution would be to remove a few weapons and redesign others, but some folks don't like hearing that and demand we keep everything and act surprised when half the weapons are boring clones that are not worth picking up.

The Halo 5 Magnum isn't a problem, the boring shallow sandbox design is the problem. We need to spawn with 1 strong versatile accurate headshot weapon, I don't personally care whether it takes the shape of a Magnum or BR or anything else which would be supported by a set of unique pickup weapons. We don't need 1 spawn weapon and then 4 other reskins of that same spawn weapon.
True just true
iCandid wrote:
It's probably the best starting utility weapon, balance wise, that a Halo game has ever had. The BR in Halo 2 and 3, and the DMR in Reach were better than any other precision weapons, so there was no point in picking up other precision weapons if you started with them. AR start games left you at the mercy of anyone with power weapons or precision weapons. The Halo 5 Magnum gives you the ability to fight off spawn, but I'll pick up a DMR, Carbine, or Light Rifle anytime I see one. They all give you a more effective maximum range. The BR is a bit useless now after they nerfed it, but the weapon sandbox is still pretty balanced in terms of most weapons being useful and worth picking up. Its one of the things Halo 5 did right.
Absolutely agree. The H5 sandbox is the most well balanced Halo sandbox yet.

The sandbox balance issues that remain within Halo 5 primarily affect just the Arena environment. The Warzone environment really isn't negatively affected in the same way; however, there's an oddity that exists relating to a particular AR variant due to the weapon tuning, but it's definitely not a colossal difference maker.

In my opinion, the Arena environment suffers from two particular weapons that weren't allowed to better fit an ideal niche role within that particular environment. The first stems from the BR having its' baseline Red-Reticle-Ranges (RRRs) reduced. And the second stems from the SMG having its' optimal TTK time made worse than I think was necessary.

I believe I provide a decent breakdown on the BR issue within the Arena environment HERE despite the topic relating more specifically to BTB. It still encompasses the issue as it applies to the Arena environment. The nice thing is that the Long-Barrel Recon variant could potentially be used as the default BR within the Arena environment if they were so inclined to address its issues without investing the heavy resources into re-tuning it again.

The current state of the SMG isn't that it's useless, but that it's often much more practical to simply use the AR instead. Had they of simply allowed its optimal TTK to be better than the AR by 0.1 of a second instead of exactly the same I think there'd be more of a reason to use it other than its non-optimal TTK being noticeably better within its effective ranges which are noticeably shorter than the AR.

I will say that I hope Halo Infinite goes to an all projectile-based sandbox instead of having some weapons as hit-scan. This should allow for a more nuanced sandbox balance than can be achieved by having some exist as hit-scan. And I say this as someone who very much appreciates the benefits afforded by hit-scan.
eLantern wrote:
iCandid wrote:
It's probably the best starting utility weapon, balance wise, that a Halo game has ever had. The BR in Halo 2 and 3, and the DMR in Reach were better than any other precision weapons, so there was no point in picking up other precision weapons if you started with them. AR start games left you at the mercy of anyone with power weapons or precision weapons. The Halo 5 Magnum gives you the ability to fight off spawn, but I'll pick up a DMR, Carbine, or Light Rifle anytime I see one. They all give you a more effective maximum range. The BR is a bit useless now after they nerfed it, but the weapon sandbox is still pretty balanced in terms of most weapons being useful and worth picking up. Its one of the things Halo 5 did right.
Absolutely agree. The H5 sandbox is the most well balanced Halo sandbox yet.

The sandbox balance issues that remain within Halo 5 primarily affect just the Arena environment. The Warzone environment really isn't negatively affected in the same way; however, there's an oddity that exists relating to a particular AR variant due to the weapon tuning, but it's definitely not a colossal difference maker.

In my opinion, the Arena environment suffers from two particular weapons that weren't allowed to better fit an ideal niche role within that particular environment. The first stems from the BR having its' baseline Red-Reticle-Ranges (RRRs) reduced. And the second stems from the SMG having its' optimal TTK time made worse than I think was necessary.

I believe I provide a decent breakdown on the BR issue within the Arena environment HERE despite the topic relating more specifically to BTB. It still encompasses the issue as it applies to the Arena environment. The nice thing is that the Long-Barrel Recon variant could potentially be used as the default BR within the Arena environment if they were so inclined to address its issues without investing the heavy resources into re-tuning it again.

The current state of the SMG isn't that it's useless, but that it's often much more practical to simply use the AR instead. Had they of simply allowed its optimal TTK to be better than the AR by 0.1 of a second instead of exactly the same I think there'd be more of a reason to use it other than its non-optimal TTK being noticeably better within its effective ranges which are noticeably shorter than the AR.

I will say that I hope Halo Infinite goes to an all projectile-based sandbox instead of having some weapons as hit-scan. This should allow for a more nuanced sandbox balance than can be achieved by having some exists as hit-scan.
YES BROTHER! if it worked like that it would be by far the best way to balance the sandbox while having weapons remain powerfull but not too mmuch
The Magnum was great for me. Everyone has their own weapon preferences.
iCandid wrote:
This. So much this. The Halo 5 Magnum is, imo, the best designed gun relative to the sandbox in the entire series. In the beta it was more Reach-y -- not as good range, much faster fire rate, I think 6 shot kill instead. Think somewhere between gunfighter and current standard mag.

I think it was fine in the Beta (but the AR had much more range/accuracy to make up for it -- but people said NOT HALO so the starting guns were balanced differently). But there's no question you can compete with any weapon with it in it's release form, and that's what makes it the all-time utility weapon.
Every other gun can beat the magnum when used in it's enviroment so I don't see much problem with it. The smg could be stronger though.
I’m 50/ 50
I honestly think 343 should really nerf the Magnum from scratch. The Magnum should have been more like the Halo 2 (or Anniversary version) pistol where the damage was weak, the red reticle range was low, it had 12 rounds, and the rate of fire was fast, making it an emergency weapon when your primary was out of ammunition during a fight. I truly think this is how the game could improve because the game could be more hard (which is good in my opinion) by people wanting to be a little more skilled with the Battle Rifle or DMR. I have played a game of custom slayer where there are no Magnums and only Battle Rifles (H5) and that was really intense because not many of the players used the Battle Rifles regularly due to the fact that they were good with the Magnum and not the BR and DMR.

In one of 343 Industries community update posts back in 2018, they have said that Ske7ch had plans to nerf the magnum and was really excited to finally play with a Battle Rifle. Ske7ch said this: "Following the tuning changes to all the other precision weapons in Halo 5, the Mangum ended up as a bit of an outlier in the sandbox. Currently we know this weapon outclasses nearly everything else with a similar intended role and it’s something the team is going to be taking a closer look at. However, given the Magnum’s implications in competitive play and the fact that we’re already underway with the Halo World Championship season, we’re holding off from making any public changes until sometime after the world finals have concluded. We’ll have more to say on the Magnum in the coming months." When the world finals ended, the changes were never made. It has been 2 years since Ske7ch made that statement and there has not been any confirmations on whether this is going to happen or not, which is odd. I kinda think that Ske7ch lied to the community because the Gunfighter Magnum was nerfed instead of the Magnum which I was really disappointed. I did this stupid thing at one point: I started a petition to nerf the Magnum on Change.org and got banned from the site simply because I criticized the Magnum (a bit too much from what I remember) and used this statement. But I am still hoping that the Magnum gets the nerf it truly deserves, especially when Halo: Infinite is coming out.

Link to the post: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/communique-collection
Hot Take: We should all start out with the Plasma Pistol
Hot Take: We should all start out with the Plasma Pistol
Some people just want to watch the world burn.
I think the magnum in H5 is very OP, but I don't know that it's a problem that way. In Halo:CE the magnum was also OP, but it was out classed by the power weapons, plus if you aren't a good shot someone with an AR could out-do you and win the encounter.

In H5 that isn't the case, the ttk on the magnum is significantly less than with the AR, and DMR, especially at lose range. The BR has a pretty comparable ttk to it and it's still out classed by power weapons.

I think the "broken" feel comes from the magnum being a more viable option than the standard rifle class weapons.
Posted in a similar thread but the Magnum's range is where it becomes OP. It shouldn't outshine the BR, and in fact it should have less range than the AR as well. It's niche should be a close range precision weapon.
Like Halo 2, but with more damage. I could get behind that.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2