Skip to main content
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I feel like I’m the only person on this planet that dislikes the fact that the Magnum is truly the only viable weapon in this game. I love the multiplayer so much and I wish I could use the Assault Rifle and other weapons of the same vein but I literally can’t. It’s either Magnum or nothing (in my opinion) I guess I can understand it’s competitive values but there has to be another way. And I guess it’s too late anyways with Infinite being here shortly but it’s just something that has bothered me a little more than usual lately!
I can out play people with a br or dmr sometimes. I'm with you, the magnum its too good.
I think the same, although over long distances it does not do so much damage.
You're definitely not the only person who dislikes the fact that the magnum is one of, if not the only, go to weapon for H5 online MP. A pistol should be a sidearm.. meaning it is a secondary or even tertiary option.. strangely it has become the primary choice of competitive players.
I feel like I’m the only person on this planet that dislikes the fact that the Magnum is truly the only viable weapon in this game. I love the multiplayer so much and I wish I could use the Assault Rifle and other weapons of the same vein but I literally can’t. It’s either Magnum or nothing (in my opinion) I guess I can understand it’s competitive values but there has to be another way. And I guess it’s too late anyways with Infinite being here shortly but it’s just something that has bothered me a little more than usual lately!
Maybe its just me but the Magnum is too slow and boring to shoot. I honestly wish the Halo 2 Magnum was useful because spamming the fire button on people was 10 billion times more engaging than “slowly shoot at enemy from medium range for the rest of your life” that Reach introduced us to.
I missed it when the BR was a worthy pick up but it got nerfed to the point might as well just use magnum. I personally don't like autos in Halo so I'm not sad about those lol
The halo magnums have changed in all their deliveries and the halo 5 one because I like many would be in my position 3 of halo magnums, the halo ce is a god.
I agree that the magnum shouldn’t be the only viable weapon. In a competitive point of view it limits the ability of a team to really control power weapons and positions with other weapons such as the BR and DMR. The DMR used to be my favourite weapon as it was an absolute powerhouse. The same can be said for the BR, although took me some time to relearn the recoil mechanics for it. The DMR is a pointless gun. I play a lot of competitive arena and unfortunately now avoid both the DMR and the BR like the plague.
You're definitely not the only person who dislikes the fact that the magnum is one of, if not the only, go to weapon for H5 online MP. A pistol should be a sidearm.. meaning it is a secondary or even tertiary option.. strangely it has become the primary choice of competitive players.
Reminds me of CE....

I agree OP, the magnum is a very powerful weapon, I always use it instead of the AR
It truly truly sucks that u just can't use the assault rifle as a primary its more of a secondary it makes no sense that a pistol is better than an assault rifle
I didn't mind the magnum being the go to weapon in Halo 5, but it should stay in Halo 5.
Reminds me of CE....

I agree OP, the magnum is a very powerful weapon, I always use it instead of the AR
Lol you are certainly correct about CE. But I think most people tend to give CE a pass because its weapon sandbox is very very limited. The pistol took on the role of sidearm and mid-range rifle. CE didn't have a BR or DMR to take on that broader range. H5 does, so it doesn't make sense that the pistol is as effective as it is when you have weapons like the BR and DMR available to take on that role.
I feel like you guys are all missing the point of why the magnum is the way it is...re read some of the replies here to make sense of it...remember the old halos? Remember how POWERFUL the BR was in slayer starts? Remember how bungie HAD to make competitive BR starts because of how badly balanced the slayer starts were in comparison?

5 shots , single bullet is way better than a burst rifle where 1 bullet can randomly land somewhere else....did you know halo 3 had mlg settings for competitive where the BR actually got a damage boost due to the randomness of it ?

The BR existing complicates halo. It becomes hard to magically align the balance around that one gun....every halo has had a main utility weapon...and the goal is to spawn with a good weapon that you disregard for the niche role other weapons provide you. You aren't meant to feel powerless because the other guy has a 4SK weapon that just completely shuts you down off spawn...and none of this "but if a player is good enough he can still turn it around" because at a certain level 2 good players face each other...and it's just ridiculous that 1 will win repeatedly over and over because his weapon off of spawn is just hot garbage in comparison to a map pick up weapon.

A sandbox where weapons fill roles is just much better....halo 5 has been out for a long time now...and yea....the magnum loses it's excitement after awhile.....but on the flip side....I'd much rather keep the sandbox how it is to make sense than to give a weapon like the BR such a drastic boost again to where it just messes the entire sandbox up all over again....

Thats just my 2 cents in it all...I read and get the points...but they just don't make sense...if I'm to be Honest...what has to be removed is a weapon that just gives nothing to the sandbox at all other than over complicating it....so either the magnum stays/goes or the BR stays/goes...and as I said earlier...5 shot (PK) 1 bullet weapon is just way better than a 4 shot (PK) burst where 1 random bullet can become a variable of very stupid game ruining moments online.
The Halo 5 Magnum is the best utility weapon Halo has ever had, Period. It’s absurd to argue otherwise. Don’t let blind nostalgia dictate your perspective.

With that said, it’s worth mentioning that an argument can absolutely be had regarding the default H5BR not filling a proper niche role in comparison to the standard Magnum post-tune, but that doesn’t mean that the H5 Magnum is OP.

And while the post-tune H5AR isn’t as lethal as it was pre-tune overall it’s a much more balanced weapon that possesses a scaled skill curve. Again, an argument can be had that further, more minute, adjustments would’ve been appropriate.

A similar scenario for the SMG; nevertheless, these don’t amount to the standard Magnum being OP. And as AhaloAskewed mentions, it’s a good thing to have an effective and versatile utility weapon as your loadout weapon so that you can actually fight back off of spawn when facing a spawn trap.
Eh, I like the magnum a lot and the fire rate on it is fine and damage is all good as well. The AR is used for when you have no ammo usually or... if you can’t aim
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not bump.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
H5 magnum is one of my favorite guns in the series tbh.
Drufter wrote:
Eh, I like the magnum a lot and the fire rate on it is fine and damage is all good as well. The AR is used for when you have no ammo usually or... if you can’t aim
There's precision damage with the AR in h5. You actually still need to aim. If 2 players hose each other down, the one aiming at the head (after shields are down) will beat the guy spraying the body. Some people actually complained about it when the game came out...but it strips away the spray and pray got lucky aspect of using such a weapon. It's not like a precision weapon shot for shot trade off as the magnum, but I'm sure you get the point being made.
I absolutely hate the fact that the magnum is so strong, coming from someone who is decently competitive with it. Here are some reasons why I hate it.
  • It's hard for new players to start playing halo 5 because the magnum is too good, it forces you to use it and go up against people who are already pros. The problem is it's not an easy weapon to master right away, so new players might get frustrated and not want to play anymore.
  • Combat becomes repetitive. No one grabs any other weapons (besides power weapons) so gunfights are literally always the same. Magnum vs magnum every time.
  • It defeats the purpose of even having over weapons on the map. Why would I go out of my way to get a BR or DMR when I'm going to get smoked from the default weapon from close range and across the map.
  • I know it's a fantasy game, but why would the magnum be stronger than a BR or outshoot a DMR. I've seen the argument before about it being a fantasy game, and that you shouldn't compare it to real life. Ok sure, but what if 343 decided to nerf the Sniper? Imagine the sniper took as many shots to kills you as the Mangum, would that make sense? No! It's a big 50 cal sniper that shoots at a much higher velocity. This is an extreme example, but the logic is the same as the other weapons. The pistol should be the weakest of all the single-shot weapons.
I miss being able to grab a weapon from the map and feeling like I know have an upper hand. Halo 3 was a perfect example of how it should be. You can still do some damage when you respawn, but it still makes sense to grab other weapons so you can do more damage. I'm glad Halo Infinite is returning the pistol to more of a sidearm role, rather than the main weapon in the game.
I absolutely hate the fact that the magnum is so strong, coming from someone who is decently competitive with it. Here are some reasons why I hate it.
  • It's hard for new players to start playing halo 5 because the magnum is too good, it forces you to use it and go up against people who are already pros. The problem is it's not an easy weapon to master right away, so new players might get frustrated and not want to play anymore.
It’s not because the Magnum is OP. It’s because it possesses a skill curve throughout the full skill spectrum & thankfully isn’t subjected to bullet spread. You’re right that it’s not an easy weapon to master right away. Nor is it a weapon that low level players find much success with. This is primarily due to it being a semi-auto single shot weapon, but it’s an easier weapon to master than some of the other non-power precision options. By the way, how do you propose making it an easier to use weapon without ruining it?

New + lesser skilled players getting frustrated and moving on to other games is something every FPS with online multiplayer contends with. It’s precisely why SBMM exists. The purpose of SBMM is to allow players of any skill to progress their skills within a sense of competitive comfort and fairness; however, it’s also highly dependent on a healthy playerbase pop throughout the full skill spectrum. H5 isn’t a new game. It’s not receiving continuous developer updates or content. So its pop numbers aren’t great which creates situations where match balance isn’t always decent. This can lead to weapons feeling too powerful when they’re in the hands of more skilled players. This situation isn’t limited to the Magnum.
Quote:
  • Combat becomes repetitive. No one grabs any other weapons (besides power weapons) so gunfights are literally always the same. Magnum vs magnum every time.
Arena maps designed to handle approximately 8 players tend to create matches that feel a bit more repetitive due to map sizing and restricted sight lines which limits the functional use and strength of a longer range weapon like the DMR.

Nevertheless, the DMR, H2BR, Carbine, LR, Plasma Rifle, Storm Rifle, Plasma Pistol, and SMG have clear niche advantages within their designed roles that make them quite useful pickups when used appropriately. Nevertheless, I’m sure there’s a comfort many have developed with the Magnum that leads to them sticking with it in a lot of cases. It’s the utility precision loadout weapon after all.

At lower level play, the AR is often leaned on as the preferred loadout weapon of choice for being easier to aim and for many to use because it’s an automatic. This is despite its RNG bullet trajectory after the first bullet. You’ll also see the Needler or Suppressor find more successful use within the middle to lower levels too. Hell, even the Boltshot shows more usefulness there as well.

Obviously, when the precision loadout weapon isn’t a farce it often proves to be a great utility tool of use within middle to upper levels of play. But then again, that’s just how Halo has always been when the precision loadout weapon isn’t a farce. In my opinion, this is typically a good thing as it allows players to effectively fight back off spawn.
Quote:
  • It defeats the purpose of even having over weapons on the map. Why would I go out of my way to get a BR or DMR when I'm going to get smoked from the default weapon from close range and across the map.
Well, there’s certainly an argument to be had regarding the default H5BR. Within the Arena environment, they made a mistake when they nerfed its Red-Reticle-Ranges. In its current state it’s very overshadowed by the Magnum.

And as for the DMR, again it’s a powerful option at longer ranges and even in melee range. It may not have the TTK advantage over the Magnum, but it has vastly superior Red-Reticle-Ranges and it’s a 2-shot + melee kill up close; though, aiming to land the 2 shots up close requires more aim skill than just about any other precision weapon. Stay outside the Magnum’s ranges when using the DMR to realize its advantage.
Quote:
  • I know it's a fantasy game, but why would the magnum be stronger than a BR or outshoot a DMR. I've seen the argument before about it being a fantasy game, and that you shouldn't compare it to real life. Ok sure, but what if 343 decided to nerf the Sniper? Imagine the sniper took as many shots to kills you as the Mangum, would that make sense? No! It's a big 50 cal sniper that shoots at a much higher velocity. This is an extreme example, but the logic is the same as the other weapons. The pistol should be the weakest of all the single-shot weapons.
The pistol doesn’t need to be the “weakest” in all regards regulating it to a purely secondary or forgettable option. It just needs to have its strengths and drawbacks; primarily, in comparison to its precision competition within the sandbox, but also the non-precision weapons too. In my opinion, Halo 5 has achieved that quite well outside the matchup with the default H5BR. Arguments can also be formed regarding the AR and SMG being worthy of receiving minute buffs as well.

If the Magnum were to receive any nerf I believe it should have its’ Hip-Fire Red-Reticle-Range reduced from ~36 meters to 32 or ~30 meters, but that’s really it. Everything else about it is a great fit within the overall sandbox.
Quote:
I miss being able to grab a weapon from the map and feeling like I know have an upper hand. H3 was a perfect example of how it should be. You can still do some damage when you respawn, but it still makes sense to grab other weapons so you can do more damage.
That sensation is absolutely still in H5 when you understand where weapons have their niche strengths and where their weaknesses exist in competition with other sandbox weapons. Prior to the sandbox retuning there was too much advantage given to most of the weapons found on the map. Basically any of the precision options outclassed the Magnum in so many ways that it became cumbersome to fight back off spawn with the Magnum when spawn trapped by teams in control of the map and all the better weapons; hence, 343i realized one of the key reasons to retune the sandbox for the Arena environment.

H3 features the BR as the precision loadout weapon or the garbage Magnum. What other precision non-power weapon was an upgrade to the BR? The Carbine? There were trade-offs while the Mag was a complete joke even when being dual wielded.

Now with the addition of the M6C/SOCOM (ODST) Automag into H3 (within the MCC) there’s an interesting option that could effectively replace the need for the H3BR to be the precision loadout weapon. It features a similar TTK and the same bullet velocity as the H3BR, it doesn’t feature a drifting upward recoil effect like the ODST version of the Automag probably thanks to its fire-rate reduction in being brought into H3, and it also has approximately zero bullet spread making it a reliably accurate weapon.

The information I’m most interested in regarding it is its Red-Reticle-Ranges and zoom magnification. In ODST the Automag featured a 4x zoom, but hopefully it was modified to be 2x when brought into H3 as to not give it a sense of being a better range weapon than the BR or Carbine. I also assume its Hip-Fire Red-Reticle-Range has always been similar, or exactly the same, as the Halo 3 Magnum. Hopefully that’s true and its zoomed Red-Reticle-Range is less than what the H3BR and Carbine possess giving those weapons important and practical sandbox role trade-offs to the Automag.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2