Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] Halo 5 Movement and why its terrible for Halo

OP LogicParadeMLG

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 18
  4. 19
  5. 20
  6. 21
  7. 22
  8. ...
  9. 26
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Willko wrote:
Enstrut wrote:
Games evolve, they need to. Would you rather have a dead halo that no one enjoys playing, or a live, thriving halo that at its core is the same as it has always been?

I love this new movement system, its fluid, is fun. I feel like I'm a Spartan. Not everyone will agree and that is how it will always be with such a beloved franchise. Take it as it is, or don't play it.
I would rather see Halo die than continue down this path.

If a game comes out with thrusting, sprinting, shooting, aliens, ground pounding, flag capturing, etc., then great. It would probably be an awesome game. But when a game comes out like that and they slap Halo on the box, it means we are that much further from ever seeing a game that lives up to the Halo standard. I would rather see no more Halo games come out than see another one get dragged, kicking and screaming, through this needless "modernization". Halo established itself as a game with solid, but simple mechanics. It established itself with a calmer pace. If you can't handle a game like that, then maybe Halo isn't the game for you.

Yet instead of the series continuing to be made for the fans that made it big, it's being ripped from our hands and thrown to the casual masses who will only play it until the next big shiny "fast-paced, action-packed, in-your-face" shooter comes around. Instead of doing that to this franchise, 343 should just stop. They should make something else. They should take what they've built(which I'll admit are functioning, balanced mechanics), and apply that to a new I.P. They should leave Halo alone because they're showing no respect for where it came from, both in terms of its original fanbase and its original artistic integrity.
This post is like an aneurysm in logic. I'm actually feeling the pain that your brain should feel. Oh my god.
I will admit that it took me awhile to get used to the game play but I feel that will shooters and games in general evolving into what they are, the game play and game mechanics need to change with the times as well. White it may seem like they went away from the original Halo, it makes sense that they are adapting it. A Super Soldier should be able to do more than just walk. At least that's my opinion.
Unknown wrote:
It definitely feels like Halo. The last two Halo games had a sprint ability in them, so, I'm not sure why slow movement is supposed to be a norm for Halo games. And the clamber and thruster abilities are excellent additions, and don't negatively impact the game in any way. To be honest, I couldn't even play Halo 1-3 on the MCC because of how slow they were. Basically, if you're getting shot at, you're dead, because you have no way to get away from danger. Haven't a sprint button, fast walk speed, or some sort of defensive ability is crucial for any shooter IMO.
well said .. !! definitely it's a Game Changer!
"people running around at mach 3" had me laughing haha
Gerbi1jr wrote:
Unknown wrote:
It definitely feels like Halo. The last two Halo games had a sprint ability in them, so, I'm not sure why slow movement is supposed to be a norm for Halo games. And the clamber and thruster abilities are excellent additions, and don't negatively impact the game in any way. To be honest, I couldn't even play Halo 1-3 on the MCC because of how slow they were. Basically, if you're getting shot at, you're dead, because you have no way to get away from danger. Haven't a sprint button, fast walk speed, or some sort of defensive ability is crucial for any shooter IMO.
well said .. !! definitely it's a Game Changer!
I disagree. If you get caught out in the open, you should get killed. That way you'll learn to be more careful next time or at least try to be more aware of where your enemies are.
The game has got to evolve. We as players are getting used to faster paced gameplay. If it were as slow as in Halo 3, the gap between amateur and veteran would not be that great because of the reduced mobility.
I don't give a crap to anyone that thinks halo is closed to cod. Those call of butty players can't handle this. Lol
You know I've noticed a lot of fierce loyalty to certain game types. Don't change anything just leave it the same way , seems to be the ongoing argument. Things that are stagnant die , that's true nature and nonorganic creations. Systems have to change , evolve if you will.
You know I've noticed a lot of fierce loyalty to certain game types. Don't change anything just leave it the same way , seems to be the ongoing argument. Things that are stagnant die , that's true nature and nonorganic creations. Systems have to change , evolve if you will.
And what's wrong with it dying? In some cases, that can be the lesser of two bad options.
PolyGoner wrote:
Arn Royale wrote:
Holy -Yoink- some of the people posting on the first page are ignorant. Really gets me going. I actually signed in only to post the following.

First of all, I agree with you. Sprint is here to cater to casual audiences coming from other FPS's such as COD. Sprint do not belong in Halo imo, Halo's 1-3 showed us that.

An argument such as 'I'm a Spartan hurr durr I wanna sprint, Spartans can do that' is a joke. A spartan could very likely do a couple backflips or cook food too. I want to do that ingame as well!

My point being that lore should not be a reason to change gameplay simply for being lore.

Gamplay > Lore
At least in multiplayer. In campaign, I gladly welcome any changes giving immersion.
Problem is that you effectively end up with 2 different games by splitting base mechanics between modes. Ultimately, not everyone is going to be happy with changes.
Umn... too late. Seriously where have you been?

Halo 3/Reach/Halo 4 all played completely differently just by changing playlists... it's every bit as present in any other Halo game as it is in Halo 5 when you enter a Warzone match... I'm sorry but this claim has little relevance. Halo 5 has core gameplay changes all the time just like they do. But no, once people start asking for dropping Sprint strictly in a competitive/ranked 4v4 or doubles setting, it's suddenly a crazy idea that will never work...

Spartans play different during Campaign in direct comparison to each other, while in Multiplayer you're easily tagged out of Sprint all the time and it stops shields from recharging. It's there in PvP to stop players from being able to escape movement decisions and the best thing to come out of all this, is that players are much more offensive before they die? (at least from what I've seen...) Which is good, but now it isn't very fun to use... It's actually not convenient at all in Multiplayer, it's just... there.

Yet people wonder why so many ask for Sprint to be removed... It works better in Campaign and frankly I don't see how the nerfs make it a rewarding mechanic for either sides. It still holds competitive players back by lowering their guns and now it punishes average players by delaying their shields. Why do we need both?
I don't think you understood my point. The core player mechanics in the maority of modes/playlists should not be "drastically" different from one another. Campaign, Arena, and Warzone all play relatively the same. There's very minor differences that don't take much, if any adjustment. You can still sprint in campaign as you can in multiplayer. You just have to keep 2 other things, as you've mentioned, in mind.

A classic playlist with abilities disabled could work. I never said otherwise. The only Halo titles with drastic changes across several modes/playlists were Reach and 4. Halos CE-3 and 5 have remained fairly consistent. With very few modes like Infection, Grifball, etc only going so far against the norm.
Willko wrote:
To be fair, they did fix Halo 4's mistakes.
Only some of them. I'll admit that H5 is a step in the right direction, but there are H4 problems still present. H5 still has the sprinting, and it still has the sped up gameplay. It then introduced new problems to the series with the ADS and the removal of split screen, but those are topics for another thread.
The gameplay in Halo 4 was pretty slow. Halo 5 sits somewhere in between CE and 2 as far as kill times are concerned. It's really not that fast. It just feels faster than it actually is because of the movement.
I thoroughly enjoy all the new movement stuff, but I suppose to please everybody they could make a "Classic" hopper which doesn't have sprinting, thrusters etc.
Sure plays like Halo to me, and having a character that's no longer a lumbering sloth feels more Halo than ever.
xSkeletalx wrote:
I thoroughly enjoy all the new movement stuff, but I suppose to please everybody they could make a "Classic" hopper which doesn't have sprinting, thrusters etc.
That wouldn't work either. The aiming is weird compared to the originals.
Willko wrote:
To be fair, they did fix Halo 4's mistakes.
Only some of them. I'll admit that H5 is a step in the right direction, but there are H4 problems still present. H5 still has the sprinting, and it still has the sped up gameplay. It then introduced new problems to the series with the ADS and the removal of split screen, but those are topics for another thread.
The gameplay in Halo 4 was pretty slow. Halo 5 sits somewhere in between CE and 2 as far as kill times are concerned. It's really not that fast. It just feels faster than it actually is because of the movement.
Right, the movement is the problem. People like me don't want to play a game with sprint, thruster packs, clamber, etc. The kill times and shooting mechanics in H5(aside from the ADS) seen fine.
Halo 5's new movement system with sprinting , clambering, sliding, and thrusting makes for more fast paced game that opens up new strategy when fighting. But there are a few problems with it when it comes to Halo multiplayer. In my opinion, the thing that defines halo multiplayer is the slow, strategical movements, not people running around at mach 3, and instantly going around a corner. 343 said that they would be "going back to the roots of Halo multiplayer" and "fixing mistakes from halo 4", which they did in terms of weapons, and map design. But the movement in Halo 5 is just to call of duty-esk for it to be called a true halo multiplayer. Sprint, (even with the Nerf of it not recharging shields while in use) still has no place in halo. All of this sliding and clambering aren't halo things.In original halos, if you were in a disadvantage in a wide open area, you had to outplay your opponent with a smart nade through or throwing of their aim with a quick crouch and jump or a quick melee, but in halo 5 now I can just press one button to zip back around a corner or sprint away. This doesn't feel like Halo to me and alot of other players.

And before I get a mob of angry fanboys marching up my driveway, Halo 5 is not a bad game, its just not one that I particularly enjoy, these movement mechanics make war zone a better, more intricate game, but they do not have anyplace at all in arena.
Agree to disagree, it is something new to Halo which makes it different but enjoyable to learn the new gameplay. if you want Halo 1 gameplay bust out your old xbox and call some friends over for some vintage gaming fun. That or play Goldeneye. I recall that being relatively slow paced.

Stop being afraid of change. Adapt and have some fun!
"people running around at mach 3" had me laughing haha
Me too XD!
Honestly it feels better and more fluid with the game, like you're actually in control of a spartan. I mean what the hell, I thought they were so awkward and clunky when they couldn't clear certain jumps in previous halo games, it makes more sense that they're able to vault and sprint--they're human war machines.
Thor v6 wrote:
So, as with all Halo games, they adjust the map size to accommodate the movement capabilities of the spartans. Have you seen how big Midship is now?

Now, I have been playing since CE, and the sprinting is something original Halo players/fans have been asking for since 2001! We have it now, it doesn't allow shield recharge, perfect! Clamber is a great addition to the game. Every fps from now on will have this ability, but for some reason, it doesn't belong in Halo? If he can flip a 77 ton scorpion, he can pull himself up a ledge... The little dashes increase the skill cap significantly. Halo has always been the premiere competitive shooter, with an increased skill cap, we are bound to see better, more crowd pleasing gameplay and outplays from the pros and everyone else.

This game is everything we have been asking for since CE. Every weapon had a purpose and is good in certain situations. The haters should go back to call of duty.
Hear, hear! I'm with you on that Thor. I enjoy how people whine about CoD being repetitive (which is my main problem with the CoD games), and then as soon as Halo changes, I mean improves, people basically accuse 343 of heresy. What is everyone's favorite thing that we didn't get at the start? Forge. When did that come in? Halo 3. Some people want Firefight? That came in with ODST. Halo is where it is today, because it has evolved. So, when 343 throws something new and good into the mix, we should condemn them for it, when we celebrated Bungie making much more drastic changes/additions? Please enlighten me on how that makes sense. Please.

Forge was something new to Halo, and look how that turned out. Bungie even threw in armor abilities for Reach, and now that 343 makes sprint and thruster pack part of the base loadout, Halo is "broken"? "It's not Halo anymore"? Get off your high-horse and see the light. Halo is modifying to give it's players something new. And I would rather they give us something, have it fail in a few spots, and improve it with an update or in the next installment, rather than getting the same thing for $60 every year. Cough, cough, cough, Call of Duty, cough. Again, Spartan can roll a tank back onto it's treads, but he can't pull himself up 3 feet to a ledge? Oh, and BTB didn't come in until Reach, if I'm not mistaken.

People need to understand that the old Halos are out there. The MCC was meant to not only be a throwback for the long-time players, it was meant to show that they cared about it's roots. They acknowledged that this is still part of Halo, but warfare doesn't stay the same. It evolves. And Halo has done that. Spartans can strike faster than in previous games, and it is a godsend. I couldn't help but feel like I was a normal guy in the Mjolnir suit in the past games. I had times in MCC where I would hit the crouch button, simply because I was checking to make sure I was at max speed, not crouch-walking. It felt like you had to rely on vehicles to travel farther than you could throw a grenade, and still make it there within the hour. People need to understand that Halo is not going to stay the same. If it does stop evolving and improving, I will not buy Halo again. They need to keep improving it. However, I also feel they should have a playlist in Arena with "throwback" maps and settings. No sprint, old school weapons, remastered maps, the works. That would make a lot of people happy. Instead of whining about the new stuff, ask for them to bring back the option to play "old-school". I'd love to see Infection with zombies thruster packing in to get you, and ground pounding groups of survivors. I relish the thought of testing my CQC skills against groups of hyper-mobile zombies that could take me out with one swing. And now, they can come from almost anywhere. They can clamber up ledges, jet at me from around a corner, and drop down on me from above. Nowhere would be safe. Anyone who likes Infection, tell me that doesn't at least make you want to try it.

Stop telling 343 to "bring back Halo", or Halo will go backwards. But if they "bring forth" a new and improved Halo game, while still acknowledging the long-time fans, Halo WILL go forward. We are so quick to condemn something that seems different from what we know, that we don't even give it a chance. Those stories of how people played for 3 days and then went back to other games, they barely gave Halo 5 a chance. Considering they have school, homework, and potentially jobs, that's less than 10 hours put into that game, AT MOST. Unless they were staying up late, in which case they might have been too tired to adjust to the new abilities of Halo, so they got out-maneuvered. Just a theory. It took me almost a week to remember I had a thruster pack, and that cost me about 50+ deaths. You don't pick up a guitar and know how to play, and Halo 5 is no different. It is new, fresh, and I think that it is a welcome addition to the franchise. It will just take some time and practice to get used to.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 18
  4. 19
  5. 20
  6. 21
  7. 22
  8. ...
  9. 26