Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Halo 5 movement

OP UndyTonza

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Hey!
I have seen a lot of debates around Infinite and that's why I wanted to hear opinions on this topic.
What do you love or hate in H5 movement and WHY?

Personally I really enjoy it as it offers a variety of ways to perform movements around the map. I can boost off different objects to launch my spartan in the air to move around fast, sprint+thrust+slide to move fast horizontally or add stabilize to the end of it to get more verticality. I can use spring jump, kneecap or stabilize to reach higher clambers which I normally couldn't reach or add a thrust and a stabilize to spring jump to reach great hights.

There's always multiple routes to choose from(in good maps) when using these different movement manouvers and knowing when to use them without getting penalized requires game sense and also requires skill to be able to perform them consistently, which makes it fun!

What are your opinions? I would really like to know them! :)
As a person who has created machinima videos, I have to say that the only thing I dislike is the small spasm your Spartan will have when walking.

Other than that, I agree with everything you said.
I absolutely love tye fast movement, it feels so satisfying being able to fly around the map at high speeds, and making plays using movement. I'm a Halo 2-3 fanboy but I also adore Halo 5's moveent just as much. I am hoping Infinite retains Halo 5's speed or similar honestly
If like to see combo jumps added so you can spring board off one surface to the next in succession.
The only thing I truly hate about H5 movement is how Spartan charge is such a crutch so to speak. It really should have to be charged like ground pound or you shouldn't be able to charge while being shot. I do prefer the traditional movement from back in the day, I still say H2A is about the most perfect Halo(it does need some tweeks but which Halo didn't?). As far as movement for Infinite I am cool with whatever they do as long as they deliver a fully functional, complete game that is fun to play and a good story for the campaign. Something they haven't done yet really.
I really like it as well...but after playing the H3 playlist I think I could do without sprint and substitute it with a higher base movement speed. Strafing in that playlist is a different ballgame due to the higher base movement speed and it is super fun. Clamber and thrust are ok IMO.
I like the movement. I don’t like the spartan charge or ground pound. My only preference difference would be to make you have to pick between sprint as an ability with a cooldown or thrusters/air stabilization aiming as an ability with a short cooldown. Maybe even have other armor abilities as options to replace advanced movements altogether in favor of some other abilities and a higher base movement speed. Everybody having all of those seems like a little much. The emphasis on the game very largely revolves around movement mastery first instead of weapon mastery and map knowledge and THEN movement mastery. Clamber is just a stupid animation, I don’t even see the point in that.

I like when maps have taken into account some people’s knowledge of the movement mechanics like longer jumps requiring you to sprint to make them or jumps that need thrust but clamber seems like it’s just a surface feature. It’s different than rocket or grenade jumps.
I can go either way , I love classic halo movement but can equally adapt h5s movement mechanics
i play many different fps titles so adaptation to each meta is all part of the process.

One point I'd like to make is classic halo has a very defining type of combat meta that really suited the time to kill , it gives it a very induvidual feel that really set it apart from all other shooters in the market , another title that currently achieves this is doom 2016 , it has received glowing praise from both critics and players for this very different combat meta .halo also had universal praise of its combat meta but ultimately decided to move away from it , go figure .

whereas the the sprint, clamber, slide and associated variations are across every other shooter title and feels somewhat generic , it even flows down to controller layouts . I put h5 firmly in this category it's not a bad thing but it doesn't necessarily set it apart either , at least with the pistol as a primary utility weapon it does provide a somewhat discernible point of difference.
I love the movement system but I hope they drop gimmicks like spartan charge and ground pound.
I love the movement physics... That's one of the main reasons I've kept playing all these years. The old games were forward, backward, left or right. CE impressed me with being able to strafe and move diagonally. Plus the vehicles were fun to drive.
In short on the new movement physics:
  • Sprint: *Jontron voice* YES! DEFINITELY! Sprint is always a keeper in my book, don't see why anybody complains about sprint in Halo(beats the Halo reach variant where it was an armor ability, not a built-in thing)
  • Clamber: Nice new feature/easier way to get to higher ground in battles. Wish the commendation was easier to get though for it.
  • Spartan Charge: Annoying yes, but also avoidable IF you timed your thrust just right and got out of the way.
  • Ground Pound: If I had to pick between the charge and the pound, this one would be the one to go. I don't think there's been a feature this annoying in Halo since Armor Lock in reach(and NO, you cannot/will not change my mind about armor lock being an absolute nuisance and ruining your day in ANY game mode). Thrust out of the way, you still get somehow. Oh minding your own business? BAM! You've been pounded. I honestly don't want to see ground pound come back ever again.
I like the movement as a whole in Halo 5, I don't see any flaws except for ground pound/spartan charge.
  • Sprint: *Jontron voice* YES! DEFINITELY! Sprint is always a keeper in my book, don't see why anybody complains about sprint in Halo(beats the Halo reach variant where it was an armor ability, not a built-in thing)
  • Clamber: Nice new feature/easier way to get to higher ground in battles. Wish the commendation was easier to get though for it.
  • Spartan Charge: Annoying yes, but also avoidable IF you timed your thrust just right and got out of the way.
  • Ground Pound: If I had to pick between the charge and the pound, this one would be the one to go. I don't think there's been a feature this annoying in Halo since Armor Lock in reach(and NO, you cannot/will not change my mind about armor lock being an absolute nuisance and ruining your day in ANY game mode). Thrust out of the way, you still get somehow. Oh minding your own business? BAM! You've been pounded. I honestly don't want to see ground pound come back ever again.
I like the movement as a whole in Halo 5, I don't see any flaws except for ground pound/spartan charge.
Spartan charge for us players with a higher latency and because of the bullet magnetism is impossible to dodge I play from Australia and it doesn’t matter when you thrust the contact is still made even if you watch the player charge the wall where you just where you still take the damage it’s brutal
I personally like the movement, but I think Reach-like gameplay with sprint permanent but temporary and no Armor Lock will please the mass majority of fans
JC00795 wrote:
Spartan charge for us players with a higher latency and because of the bullet magnetism is impossible to dodge I play from Australia and it doesn’t matter when you thrust the contact is still made even if you watch the player charge the wall where you just where you still take the damage it’s brutal
Believe it or not, I feel ya dude. I live in a rural area in US with the worst connection known to man(yes even worse than the internet provided by AT&T), and it was hard to dodge sometimes with my latency issues, but there were those moments where they did happen...rare but did happen.
I experienced the game briefly when it first released, and it's a solid copy of what Titanfall did previously. The problem is that, while I enjoy Titanfall, there's really no reason for Halo to offer the same experience (without the Titans) when Titanfall already exists. I'd prefer Halo to improve upon what worked before instead of copying whatever's trendy.

I prefer how Halo 5: Guardians handles its Spartan Abilities to how Halo: Reach or Halo 4 handled Armor Abilities, but the franchise is better off offering its own unique gameplay. Again, why have different franchises if they all copy the same formula?
Halo 5 is fun, but I like halo 1-3 more. I hope infinite is classic style. If it isn't I think having just thrust and stabilize would be fun. Stabilize alllows you to make certain jumps and thrust adds to your strafe. Clamber is my least favorite ability, because it makes maps vertical and limits map design, kind of like sprint. Sprint makes maps bigger horizontally and clamber makes them bigger vertically. Both sprint and clamber are not needed in halo and can make it difficult to make good maps.
JC00795 wrote:
Believe it or not, I feel ya dude. I live in a rural area in US with the worst connection known to man(yes even worse than the internet provided by AT&T), and it was hard to dodge sometimes with my latency issues, but there were those moments where they did happen...rare but did happen.
Misery loves company from Australia our average ping is somewhere between 250-400 so we run between one and three shots behind when playing guys in the USA makes it so hard
I hate the slide thrust and how thrust is super O.P. Thrust shouldn't let you get away from so many situations.
Halo 5 is fun, but I like halo 1-3 more. I hope infinite is classic style. If it isn't I think having just thrust and stabilize would be fun. Stabilize alllows you to make certain jumps and thrust adds to your strafe. Clamber is my least favorite ability, because it makes maps vertical and limits map design, kind of like sprint. Sprint makes maps bigger horizontally and clamber makes them bigger vertically. Both sprint and clamber are not needed in halo and can make it difficult to make good maps.
I have seen this being said elsewhere and even if larger maps may be more difficult to design than smaller maps is that enough reason alone to abandon the idea of having larger maps?

For example Coliseum or Plaza? Having more verticality or horizontal length isn't objectively thinking a bad thing. Badly designed maps, big or small, are still bad maps and vice versa.

Personally I also think abilities can be in a game as long as they are balanced properly. For example being stuck in an animation, If I have the option of doing something but the penalty of doing so is that I'm unable to do anything for X period of time, I have to make a decision whether or not to do it at all or when to do it or to use an alternative route to maybe avoid being stuck in the animation? Is being stuck in the animation too big of a penalty for the action/thing I'm wanting to perform or is it too small of a penalty?

Would clamber be ok in H5 if you could shoot while clambering? Would sprint be ok if you could shoot while sprinting? Would sprint be ok if it drained your shields when sprinting? Would thrust be better if it made ur spartan have a slowdown effect for a few seconds after it?

I hope Infinite is a great, balanced package of whatever they choose it to be like and I hope people wouldn't come to conclusions too fast on different aspects of a game.
Avoideds wrote:
I hate the slide thrust and how thrust is super O.P. Thrust shouldn't let you get away from so many situations.
Should we get punished for every bad decision we make?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2