OP UndyTonza

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
JC00795 wrote:
JC00795 wrote:
In short on the new movement physics:
  • Sprint: *Jontron voice* YES! DEFINITELY! Sprint is always a keeper in my book, don't see why anybody complains about sprint in Halo(beats the Halo reach variant where it was an armor ability, not a built-in thing)
  • Clamber: Nice new feature/easier way to get to higher ground in battles. Wish the commendation was easier to get though for it.
  • Spartan Charge: Annoying yes, but also avoidable IF you timed your thrust just right and got out of the way.
  • Ground Pound: If I had to pick between the charge and the pound, this one would be the one to go. I don't think there's been a feature this annoying in Halo since Armor Lock in reach(and NO, you cannot/will not change my mind about armor lock being an absolute nuisance and ruining your day in ANY game mode). Thrust out of the way, you still get somehow. Oh minding your own business? BAM! You've been pounded. I honestly don't want to see ground pound come back ever again.
I like the movement as a whole in Halo 5, I don't see any flaws except for ground pound/spartan charge.
Spartan charge for us players with a higher latency and because of the bullet magnetism is impossible to dodge I play from Australia and it doesn’t matter when you thrust the contact is still made even if you watch the player charge the wall where you just where you still take the damage it’s brutal
Believe it or not, I feel ya dude. I live in a rural area in US with the worst connection known to man(yes even worse than the internet provided by AT&T), and it was hard to dodge sometimes with my latency issues, but there were those moments where they did happen...rare but did happen.
Misery loves company from Australia our average ping is somewhere between 250-400 so we run between one and three shots behind when playing guys in the USA makes it so hard
I have a 83ms input lag from my TV with game mode on. I thought that was bad! I can't win a gun fight because the delay when I shoot is one shot behind everyone else's. I can't imagine having to put up with lag in Australia. It's like you guys are bouncing off a satellite.
BadDogg55 wrote:
JC00795 wrote:
JC00795 wrote:
In short on the new movement physics:
  • Sprint: *Jontron voice* YES! DEFINITELY! Sprint is always a keeper in my book, don't see why anybody complains about sprint in Halo(beats the Halo reach variant where it was an armor ability, not a built-in thing)
  • Clamber: Nice new feature/easier way to get to higher ground in battles. Wish the commendation was easier to get though for it.
  • Spartan Charge: Annoying yes, but also avoidable IF you timed your thrust just right and got out of the way.
  • Ground Pound: If I had to pick between the charge and the pound, this one would be the one to go. I don't think there's been a feature this annoying in Halo since Armor Lock in reach(and NO, you cannot/will not change my mind about armor lock being an absolute nuisance and ruining your day in ANY game mode). Thrust out of the way, you still get somehow. Oh minding your own business? BAM! You've been pounded. I honestly don't want to see ground pound come back ever again.
I like the movement as a whole in Halo 5, I don't see any flaws except for ground pound/spartan charge.
Spartan charge for us players with a higher latency and because of the bullet magnetism is impossible to dodge I play from Australia and it doesn’t matter when you thrust the contact is still made even if you watch the player charge the wall where you just where you still take the damage it’s brutal
Believe it or not, I feel ya dude. I live in a rural area in US with the worst connection known to man(yes even worse than the internet provided by AT&T), and it was hard to dodge sometimes with my latency issues, but there were those moments where they did happen...rare but did happen.
Misery loves company from Australia our average ping is somewhere between 250-400 so we run between one and three shots behind when playing guys in the USA makes it so hard
I have a 83ms input lag from my TV with game mode on. I thought that was bad! I can't win a gun fight because the delay when I shoot is one shot behind everyone else's. I can't imagine having to put up with lag in Australia. It's like you guys are bouncing off a satellite.
Haha exactly my internet is really good aswell I just don’t think we have any servers here
UndyTonza wrote:
Halo 5 is fun, but I like halo 1-3 more. I hope infinite is classic style. If it isn't I think having just thrust and stabilize would be fun. Stabilize alllows you to make certain jumps and thrust adds to your strafe. Clamber is my least favorite ability, because it makes maps vertical and limits map design, kind of like sprint. Sprint makes maps bigger horizontally and clamber makes them bigger vertically. Both sprint and clamber are not needed in halo and can make it difficult to make good maps.
I have seen this being said elsewhere and even if larger maps may be more difficult to design than smaller maps is that enough reason alone to abandon the idea of having larger maps?

For example Coliseum or Plaza? Having more verticality or horizontal length isn't objectively thinking a bad thing. Badly designed maps, big or small, are still bad maps and vice versa.

Personally I also think abilities can be in a game as long as they are balanced properly. For example being stuck in an animation, If I have the option of doing something but the penalty of doing so is that I'm unable to do anything for X period of time, I have to make a decision whether or not to do it at all or when to do it or to use an alternative route to maybe avoid being stuck in the animation? Is being stuck in the animation too big of a penalty for the action/thing I'm wanting to perform or is it too small of a penalty?

Would clamber be ok in H5 if you could shoot while clambering? Would sprint be ok if you could shoot while sprinting? Would sprint be ok if it drained your shields when sprinting? Would thrust be better if it made ur spartan have a slowdown effect for a few seconds after it?

I hope Infinite is a great, balanced package of whatever they choose it to be like and I hope people wouldn't come to conclusions too fast on different aspects of a game.
I wasn't trying to say that big maps are necessarily bad, but because they are bigger they require you to use abilities like sprint and clamber. Maps in h5 were made for the abilities in the game. When people focus on abilities in halo that takes away from the things that made the original halos fun. Like having a good shot and being strategic and holding positions on the map. With abilities people hold positions less because it's not as big of a deal. You can just respawn and thrust slide across the map in 2 seconds. With abilities it's also easy to get out of fights and hide at times which slows down the gameplay in some ways. The map that is the best example is truth. If truth was the size of regret, it would be a better map imo. On truth you have to sprint or burn your thrust to get from a base to p2 or car and you will probably just get shot by someone who hasn't used their thrust yet. Being able to shoot while sprinting and clambering could help with that, but there would be no consequence to using abilities then. Imo adding any new abilities or new consequences for using abilities will just make halo infinite less like a halo game. Halo needs to have less abilities and innovate in ways that still allow HI to play like a halo game.
Halo 5 movement is a huge HUGE improvement over Halo 4 and Reach, particularly in balance. I can understand the interest in loadout options for armor abilities, maybe in custom games/playlists, but when it comes to competitive play everyone should have the same well rounded base ability set. Halo 5 mobility is not perfect, things like ground pound and spartan charge need to be nerfed or deleted. I am a fan of classic halo, I wouldn't mind having a slightly higher jump. As for base speed, its pretty much a myth that classic halo has a base speed equivalent to h4/5 sprint. I did the calcs myself, its not even close. Classic halo base movement speed is marginally faster, so I wouldn't mind seeing a buff to base speed over H5 though. Things like thrust and clamber are so beautifully fluid, I actually feel like a spartan, for once! Anyone who thinks these break halo forget what makes halo. Halo is about skill gap, about varied and balanced sandbox, its about map control, powerweapon control. It is the best combination of fun and competitive!

TLDR: H5 mechanics are amazing, but need tweaking, I want to see universal sprint, thrust, clamber in Halo Infinite
I find that Spartan charge and ground pound are looking to comically and are not fitting. I hope they don't return in Infinite. Sprint, boost and clamber can stay.

The stabilisation jets I rarely use so I don't have that big of an opinion on them.
LethalQ wrote:
The only thing I truly hate about H5 movement is how Spartan charge is such a crutch so to speak. It really should have to be charged like ground pound or you shouldn't be able to charge while being shot. I do prefer the traditional movement from back in the day, I still say H2A is about the most perfect Halo(it does need some tweeks but which Halo didn't?). As far as movement for Infinite I am cool with whatever they do as long as they deliver a fully functional, complete game that is fun to play and a good story for the campaign. Something they haven't done yet really.
It is really annoying unless you have a Melee weapon it should be changed for stuff like multiplayer, it's fine the way it is for warzone.
UndyTonza wrote:
Halo 5 is fun, but I like halo 1-3 more. I hope infinite is classic style. If it isn't I think having just thrust and stabilize would be fun. Stabilize alllows you to make certain jumps and thrust adds to your strafe. Clamber is my least favorite ability, because it makes maps vertical and limits map design, kind of like sprint. Sprint makes maps bigger horizontally and clamber makes them bigger vertically. Both sprint and clamber are not needed in halo and can make it difficult to make good maps.
I have seen this being said elsewhere and even if larger maps may be more difficult to design than smaller maps is that enough reason alone to abandon the idea of having larger maps?

For example Coliseum or Plaza? Having more verticality or horizontal length isn't objectively thinking a bad thing. Badly designed maps, big or small, are still bad maps and vice versa.

Personally I also think abilities can be in a game as long as they are balanced properly. For example being stuck in an animation, If I have the option of doing something but the penalty of doing so is that I'm unable to do anything for X period of time, I have to make a decision whether or not to do it at all or when to do it or to use an alternative route to maybe avoid being stuck in the animation? Is being stuck in the animation too big of a penalty for the action/thing I'm wanting to perform or is it too small of a penalty?

Would clamber be ok in H5 if you could shoot while clambering? Would sprint be ok if you could shoot while sprinting? Would sprint be ok if it drained your shields when sprinting? Would thrust be better if it made ur spartan have a slowdown effect for a few seconds after it?

I hope Infinite is a great, balanced package of whatever they choose it to be like and I hope people wouldn't come to conclusions too fast on different aspects of a game.
I wasn't trying to say that big maps are necessarily bad, but because they are bigger they require you to use abilities like sprint and clamber. Maps in h5 were made for the abilities in the game. When people focus on abilities in halo that takes away from the things that made the original halos fun. Like having a good shot and being strategic and holding positions on the map. With abilities people hold positions less because it's not as big of a deal. You can just respawn and thrust slide across the map in 2 seconds. With abilities it's also easy to get out of fights and hide at times which slows down the gameplay in some ways. The map that is the best example is truth. If truth was the size of regret, it would be a better map imo. On truth you have to sprint or burn your thrust to get from a base to p2 or car and you will probably just get shot by someone who hasn't used their thrust yet. Being able to shoot while sprinting and clambering could help with that, but there would be no consequence to using abilities then. Imo adding any new abilities or new consequences for using abilities will just make halo infinite less like a halo game. Halo needs to have less abilities and innovate in ways that still allow HI to play like a halo game.
Not to mention the fact that it's more than the maps just being larger. Why are so many maps from Halo 4/Halo 5: Guardians just flat, open planes with some buildings? Because such abilities necessitate such designs. Map designers are forced to work around massive limitations which prevent interesting, varied maps from being put into the game without these abilities being disabled.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2