Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Halo 5 Pet Peeves

OP Gruntbasher117

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
With the upcoming Fall update and 4K support coming to Halo 5, rumored to be releasing in November, I feel like now would be a good time to have an open discussion over what has annoyed us Halo players the most since Halo 5's release in the hopes that an issue or two may be resolved with this update. Feel free to comment what you feel, as a player, (No spamming 343 hate), could be changed about the game's core mechanics. For example: we can't stop people from camping, but we can make it a less effective strategy through a tweak here and there. Another note: please make your criticism constructive. By which, I mean that you should provide solutions to the problems that you mention. No one is going to take you very seriously if you just say: "I hate the new DMR."

Here's my personal example: I would like to have the option to disable Ground Pound in the settings menu because it makes getting ninja assassinations much more difficult than they should be. Nothing gets me saltier than being a hovering punching bag for a guy with an Overshield.

What's your biggest Halo 5: Guardians Pet-Peeve?
This is actualy a good idea. I myself do not really have any "Pet-Peevee"
Thanks for the compliment Omar 088! If anyone has something that they are thinking about, but are having a difficult time putting into words, try to give a brief description and ask me for assistance. I would be happy to help. After all, 99% of us here just want Halo to be the best that it can be! Just to help get the ball rolling, I'll post a second example of what annoys me on Halo 5. Solo Matching. When you are a lone player in a game of Arena or Warzone, you will be absolutely decimated by most clan lobbies. While there is a Free-For-All Mode, it can be rather tedious when you want to play in a team. While it may not seem like that big of a deal to most, I find it annoying that I sometimes get pitted against a full team clan of SR-150s when I am the only person on my team with a mic and an SR above 50. (Note: My current SR is 146). This leads to complete imbalance of map, weapon, and spawn control. The easiest fix would be to match solo players exclusively with other solo players. This is a simple solution, and I am certain that many others have had the same and/or similar issues. While Halo 5 is meant to reward teamwork and skill, it has created a complete black-and-white (noob-vs-pro) environment. You are either going to lose by a landslide, or the opposite. Proper balancing of skill is another topic completely, but it is my belief that everyone stands to benefit from a matching change such as the one that I described. Casuals can battle casuals, Clans can battle clans. Of course, this is merely one of numerous gameplay faults that I have discovered over the almost two years that Halo 5 has been out. Tell me if you agree, and make your own Halo 5: Guardians Pet-Peeves known!
The lack of a favourites section for Reqs in Warzone. If I could just put the handful of go to Reqs and loadouts in there it would make getting to them so much faster.

It doesn't help that when you have everything the list scrolls as slow as it does but having to go through almost a dozen to get to the one you want, have the req screen lag and have to it again really ticks me off sometimes.
Power weapons are practically useless in Warzone Firefight compared to vehicles. Suggestion for a solution: make req stations refill all weapon ammo in Warzone Firefight. I don't think this would break anything, as vehicles don't run out of ammo but they would still offer more protection than weapons. It would be a quick and easy fix, and Warzone Firefight players such as myself would get the chance to enjoy using every kind of req weapon, instead of the few that are the slightest bit useful against AI.

My other pet peeve is that the Voices of War announcers can cause an infinite loading screen glitch. This should have been fixed long ago...
Let's see what grinds my gears...
  • Grinding Spartan Charges
  • The excessive amount of teabaggers in Breakout
  • Mismatched players in matchmaking
  • How awful the weapons handle in the Weapon Tuning playlist
Having played the living H out of the game, there are some gameplay mechanics that I feel like should be removed / altered :

- Spartan charge : Mainly because it is at times unpredictable, sometimes you get knocked back other times not. Also it has an insane range.

- Ground pound : Same with the above, unpredictable. At times you will not connect but still get a kill and other times no splash damage. It also does so that if you try and perform a melee attack whilst jumping, your attack is slowed due to the game trying to figure out if you want to ground pound or melee.

- Adjustment of the scattershot : Same with the others, it's hard to depend completely on this weapon (my Pet peeve is with it up close). Sometimes you can be up in someones face and fire and it won't kill.

On the other hand there are some features I would like to have added to the game or to newer instalments :

- The addition of more customisation options : The addition of a system similar to Reach's.
- The addition of a possibility to skip the countdown between games (so you dont have to back out in Main menu to search for another game).
- The option to delete more than 1 req card at a time

There are more I want but it would take a long time to list.
JayTB123 wrote:
The lack of a favourites section for Reqs in Warzone. If I could just put the handful of go to Reqs and loadouts in there it would make getting to them so much faster.

It doesn't help that when you have everything the list scrolls as slow as it does but having to go through almost a dozen to get to the one you want, have the req screen lag and have to it again really ticks me off sometimes.
Yes please. We need a favorites menu for Warzone AND armor. I switch my armor a lot and now that all the legendaries are at the end it takes way too long to get there.
There are a lot of good suggestions here. Just to add more ingredients to the Firefight stew, how about a rehash of the Promethean Soldiers' Light Rifle range in Warzone Firefight? They chew through Banshees and Phaetons like rice paper on Escape From A.R.C. How about destructible Phantom Turrets and Gunners? Nothing quite like REQ'n a Hannibal Scorpion, just to have 1/2 of your health taken away by an invincible aircraft with auto aim. How about the ONI Scorpion being instantly obliterated by the Legendary Banshee Raiders upon spawn? Have fun grinding for an hour to replace that one second wonder. Honestly I could go on and on.
HaXoR73 wrote:
Let's see what grinds my gears...
  • Grinding Spartan Charges
  • The excessive amount of teabaggers in Breakout
  • Mismatched players in matchmaking
  • How awful the weapons handle in the Weapon Tuning playlist
Excessive amount of Smurfing in breakout is much worse.
Yeah, the BR is pretty bad now.
Short version: Legit BTB support from day 1, not forged together last second and looking worse (quite literally) than Halo 4 BTB maps.

It's funny, because I got used to them to where it became 'normal' I guess (BTB is my main playlist). My friend was in town when Destiny 2 launched, so we played side by side (I have no desire to get D2, personally, but it was an awesome time gaming with my best friend since 6th grade (who now lives far away, we are in early-mid 30's with careers and families).

Anyway, he said 'man, these maps look awful, is this really Halo 5?'. He's not 'that type' of guy either, in fact, he's Mr. positive (almost to a fault!). He's a PlayStation guy, so he hasn't seen Halo since Halo 3 (we played it a decent amount together). I started to 'really' look again and I was like 'man, you're right, this is pretty embarrassing for a 'staple' game being made in 2015 to look this bad'.

I'm not just trying to take this too far, but the Halo 5 BTB maps truly look awful. Like borderline 'can't believe this is Xbox One' type awful. I still have a decent time. I just hope Halo 6 has great BTB support from day 1! (:

Later, in team arena, he said 'now this is more like it' as I was playing on Truth.
What's a pet peeve?
Well since they removed blocking, mine is always matching parties as a solo player.

Honorable mentions: Betrayers, people who don't call in vehicles in FF, spartan charge, the Wasp and the lag/servers.
My biggest pet-peeve right now would be the unstable servers and unpredictable lag. I mainly play Infection these days, so when I randomly lose connection to the game with my powerful router, it's pretty frustrating. Also punching a zombie and dying, without the zombie taking any damage.
What annoys me currently:

-Spartan charge
-REQ screen lag
-The Stormbreak map
-People teabagging over lame kills
-Literally everyone who uses a wasp
-Getting "accidentally" splattered in WZFF/getting your REQ stolen
-Lack of map variety - I'd love a WZ map on a Forerunner location besides a ring/BTB maps that you know...actually look good
-Soldiers having ridiculous range in WZFF, especially with the SAWs and LightRifles
-Taking down 95% of a boss's HP only to die and not get even partial credit
I would disable being able to 360 degree spartan charge and also try and fix some of the framerate issues at range on forge maps (BTB specifically).
when you do the most damage to a boss but then you die and a random teammate kills the boss resulting in you not getting any thing for it
or when the enemy does that
EDIT:oh and when you just spawn with a req weapon to get spawnkilled
The fact that there are barely any playlists in the game really, really (I stress) REALLY pisses me off.
Some of you are suggesting things that have a very low chance of getting fixed in the fall update. I can't see them doing things like adjusting Spartan charge or adding more customization in a little update that was originally intended to only add 4K, and had some weapon tuning tacked on as an afterthought. Just throwing this out there for everyone who might want to keep it short and simple, so there's at least some possibility of 343 considering it, as this topic was originally started "in the hopes that an issue or two may be resolved with this update".

I'll say it again: making req stations refill power weapon ammo in WZFF would be a very welcome, quick fix. And it would probably be easy and simple to make Phantom gunners killable, too 🙏
What's a pet peeve?
Basically it means something that annoys you. Have you ever heard the term "pet cause"? It's like that. The word pet, used in these expressions, indicates that it's something of your own. And "peeve" is a word that means annoy, sort of.
-Literally everyone who uses a wasp
I'm sorry.
  1. People teabagging me when they aren't even the ones that killed me...
  2. Lag, that's more on my part not H5's but it's still annoying
  3. Random disconnects, but wait, it never happens during a match I'm doing bad on, only when I'm doing really well
  4. Assault Rifles
  5. Spartan Charge
  6. When you start to assassinate a player, the screen starts to go into 3rd person view, then it stops and they end up behind you and beat you down
  7. Last man campers in Infection
  8. In Warzone being able to get a one shot plasma pistol with a armor mod (Splinter Grenade Expert)
  9. Getting two kills away from my first Unfrigg then Endurance of Will is murdered for 200 points and we're at 786 points before hand
  10. Getting a good multikill then you're team killed
  11. Getting splattered by your teammate when you have a mythic and they take it
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3