Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Halo 5 Population Discussion Thread

OP TheDarkKn1ght19

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 44
  4. 45
  5. 46
  6. 47
  7. 48
  8. ...
  9. 56
As of this post, Halo 5 sits at 6th most played. It is not dead, we know that for certain.
Wrong, as of your post it was off the top 10. It has not been at the 6th ranked since the 4 month of release. Stop trying to make H5 popular because you want it to be.
I Bobby l wrote:
Halo 5 is currently behind Star Wars Battlefront, which only has 22,000 active players right now.
Dude your numbers are so wrong lol.
Do you want to refute with sources or nah? Eariler today H5 was sitting behind SWBF while SWBF had 17k online.
You do realise Reach has on at any given time 14-24k players right. Tells me H5 sucks.
tsassi wrote:
tsassi wrote:
Bringing this over from another thread that was just locked....

If you want to know how the game is doing, look at the price.
Or, I could just look at any of the proposed, though uncertain, population estimates, which at least suggest the order of magnitude of the population. What's your point?
Prices are not uncertain. Prices are not biased. They are an accurate a reflection of the market for the product (barring inference, like subsidization).

The wild drop in prices here suggest a game that has been largely rejected by purchasers. HOWEVER, this plummet in price is likely serving to stabilize the online population.

My point is, that despite the matchmaking issues we've seen, I don't have a difficult time believing that the population is marginally on the high end for this single system game. I suspect that it is experiencing high overturn, but maintaining a decent overall population nonetheless because the price point is so low.
But prices tell nothing about the population. They indicate nothing about the number of players playing the game one way or the other, which is kind of the whole point of this discussion.
Actual prices do tell a lot about a game. As stated be for, Supply and demand. This is a basic strategy for all companies. You can throw a sale out to try to persuade new users when the pop take a dramatic dip. To think sales does not say something about a population or game, or even items is narrow sighted. To take this further 3 of the 4 Game stops in my city report that H5 is the most returned game in the past 6 . It is even the least bought in in the past 4 months. So you tkae that with the timing of the price drop and you see that is a relation.
tsassi wrote:
tsassi wrote:
Bringing this over from another thread that was just locked....

If you want to know how the game is doing, look at the price.
Or, I could just look at any of the proposed, though uncertain, population estimates, which at least suggest the order of magnitude of the population. What's your point?
But prices tell nothing about the population. They indicate nothing about the number of players playing the game one way or the other, which is kind of the whole point of this discussion.
Actual prices do tell a lot about a game. As stated be for, Supply and demand. This is a basic strategy for all companies. You can throw a sale out to try to persuade new users when the pop take a dramatic dip. To think sales does not say something about a population or game, or even items is narrow sighted. To take this further 3 of the 4 Game stops in my city report that H5 is the most returned game in the past 6 . It is even the least bought in in the past 4 months. So you tkae that with the timing of the price drop and you see that is a relation.
Supply and demand is not indicative of population. You would need to index it in order for it to be an accurate measure. Interesting observation regarding popularity at GameStop. I didn't realize there were 3 of them in the whole state of NY, let alone 3 in your city. We simply do not know where most people get H5, but I suspect Amazon,and MS are also popular places to buy it.
Actual prices do tell a lot about a game. As stated be for, Supply and demand. This is a basic strategy for all companies. You can throw a sale out to try to persuade new users when the pop take a dramatic dip. To think sales does not say something about a population or game, or even items is narrow sighted. To take this further 3 of the 4 Game stops in my city report that H5 is the most returned game in the past 6 . It is even the least bought in in the past 4 months. So you tkae that with the timing of the price drop and you see that is a relation.
You're missing my point; prices tell nothing about the population. That is, they don't offer even a concrete estimate of the current number of players playing the game. You have to understand that I don't really care about any subjective "is this game doing well or not". Good for you if you think the price indicates that the game is failing, but I don't really care. I'm only interested---at this point anyway---in how Halo 5 quantitatively compares to prior Halos.
I like to play reach it was fun
so i take it you like turtles...
TripleT219 wrote:
Where do people come up with these theories? I doubt 343 has an impact on any backwards compatibility, especially for Reach of all titles (really, are people so desperate for anti-343 games that they want to make reach out to be the best option for Halo now?).

Be thankful there's bc at all, let alone for games already on the system (a la MCC). If they were truly that desperate, they would have held off on backwards compatibility entirely. They are releasing it so late this year due to market demand (to sell more consoles). They could have waited for other games to be portrd, but would rather rush it out before black friday.

This has nothing to do with Halo 5 or 343.
Because the devs need to give permission for the game to go BC. And 343 is now in charge of Reach.
343 is a Microsoft studio, fully owned and operated by Microsoft.
tsassi wrote:
Bringing this over from another thread that was just locked....

If you want to know how the game is doing, look at the price.
Or, I could just look at any of the proposed, though uncertain, population estimates, which at least suggest the order of magnitude of the population. What's your point?
Prices are not uncertain. Prices are not biased. They are an accurate a reflection of the market for the product (barring inference, like subsidization).

The wild drop in prices here suggest a game that has been largely rejected by purchasers. HOWEVER, this plummet in price is likely serving to stabilize the online population.

My point is, that despite the matchmaking issues we've seen, I don't have a difficult time believing that the population is marginally on the high end for this single system game. I suspect that it is experiencing high overturn, but maintaining a decent overall population nonetheless because the price point is so low.
This is true for a game that doesn't have micro-transactions. You're talking about an old gaming model. If Microsoft is seeing a good return on micro-transactions or they have a paid update coming it doesn't hurt to drop the price. They will make the money back in the 2 ways I mentioned. Look at free cell phone games. Price doesn't determine much with this model because they're are lots of different revenue streams to draw from.
Torlava wrote:
I think Halo 5's population is pretty big, because a lot of channels on YouTube that are halo based have blown up significantly, and continue growing. Some of these people may not own halo 5, but it would make sense that the majority of subscribers did? There are a lot of variables, but it was just an idea being put out there :)
You would be wrong. Out of 17 times trying to connect to a BTB in 3 days i got one match and that took 20 mins. That's a sign the POP is not good
seems you are doing something wrong, I never have any issues finding a BTB game.
Ever since the update to change the search settings for games it's become increasingly difficult to find a game and the times I get told there is not enough people is becoming more and more often.

Before I could find a game in a slit second but now it take long enough that it some times never finds one. I never had a problem at all finding games and less than 1 percent of my games had connection problem. Why am I having an issue now when I didn't before?
tsassi wrote:
Actual prices do tell a lot about a game. As stated be for, Supply and demand. This is a basic strategy for all companies. You can throw a sale out to try to persuade new users when the pop take a dramatic dip. To think sales does not say something about a population or game, or even items is narrow sighted. To take this further 3 of the 4 Game stops in my city report that H5 is the most returned game in the past 6 . It is even the least bought in in the past 4 months. So you tkae that with the timing of the price drop and you see that is a relation.
You're missing my point; prices tell nothing about the population. That is, they don't offer even a concrete estimate of the current number of players playing the game. You have to understand that I don't really care about any subjective "is this game doing well or not". Good for you if you think the price indicates that the game is failing, but I don't really care. I'm only interested---at this point anyway---in how Halo 5 quantitatively compares to prior Halos.
Again you missed the point. Price does dictate current population. It tells you alot about it. If you don't think these to things don't have to do with games, cars, houses anything then you sir are sadly mistaken. They would not randomly lower the price so drastically if the population was health, which does dictate current population. Games have a formula of lowering it's prices, the only time you see these break from the norm is when they try to boost a low population or they are releasing a new version. I don't see H6 coming out so the formula says, the pop is low and 343/MS wants it higher to..... bring in more money. How would a company do this? They would lower the initial price. I don't want you to think I'm bashing or arguing, I truly am not. But this is the way all game companies work. I may change your opinion I may not, really doesn't matter in the long run, but this is the way it works. Good example. Their are still tons of people playing Xcom even with the release of Xcom 2 on PC. The pop is very health on Xbox, the price is still 39.99. How much older is Xcom then H5? A couple of yrs older.
I think I've pointed this out before, but some people forget how competitive the market for FPS is now. Games will always spike in the beginning and then gradually go down over time due to hyped games coming out every few months. People can point to Halo 3 as the holy grail of population, but a lot of them fail to mention or see that at that point in gaming there was only 1 or 2 "blockbuster" FPS games coming out during a year cycle. It's just natural progression, people want new, once new has worn off they go for something else "new"
Torlava wrote:
I think Halo 5's population is pretty big, because a lot of channels on YouTube that are halo based have blown up significantly, and continue growing. Some of these people may not own halo 5, but it would make sense that the majority of subscribers did? There are a lot of variables, but it was just an idea being put out there :)
You would be wrong. Out of 17 times trying to connect to a BTB in 3 days i got one match and that took 20 mins. That's a sign the POP is not good
seems you are doing something wrong, I never have any issues finding a BTB game.
Lol, yep me and all of the other of people who have treads out here are doing it wrong. Funny, only on H5 BTB. No other gametype or any other game. Get real or stop posting.
tsassi wrote:
tsassi wrote:
Bringing this over from another thread that was just locked....

If you want to know how the game is doing, look at the price.
Or, I could just look at any of the proposed, though uncertain, population estimates, which at least suggest the order of magnitude of the population. What's your point?
But prices tell nothing about the population. They indicate nothing about the number of players playing the game one way or the other, which is kind of the whole point of this discussion.
Actual prices do tell a lot about a game. As stated be for, Supply and demand. This is a basic strategy for all companies. You can throw a sale out to try to persuade new users when the pop take a dramatic dip. To think sales does not say something about a population or game, or even items is narrow sighted. To take this further 3 of the 4 Game stops in my city report that H5 is the most returned game in the past 6 . It is even the least bought in in the past 4 months. So you tkae that with the timing of the price drop and you see that is a relation.
Supply and demand is not indicative of population. You would need to index it in order for it to be an accurate measure. Interesting observation regarding popularity at GameStop. I didn't realize there were 3 of them in the whole state of NY, let alone 3 in your city. We simply do not know where most people get H5, but I suspect Amazon,and MS are also popular places to buy it.
Did you ever go to school. Yea try to out do me by yeah I went to collage. I got my Applied Econmics M.S. So don't try to tell me about Supply and demand.
As for Game Stop. I'm in Green bay and we actually have 6 in a 50 mi, need locations so you can look it up?
http://www.gamestop.com/storesAs for amazon and yep most are prob returned to Gamestop, bad argument, stop trying. I bought mine from MS, and it's been uninstalled, guess I'm the only one who can do that Huh?
tsassi wrote:
tsassi wrote:
Bringing this over from another thread that was just locked....

If you want to know how the game is doing, look at the price.
Or, I could just look at any of the proposed, though uncertain, population estimates, which at least suggest the order of magnitude of the population. What's your point?
But prices tell nothing about the population. They indicate nothing about the number of players playing the game one way or the other, which is kind of the whole point of this discussion.
Actual prices do tell a lot about a game. As stated be for, Supply and demand. This is a basic strategy for all companies. You can throw a sale out to try to persuade new users when the pop take a dramatic dip. To think sales does not say something about a population or game, or even items is narrow sighted. To take this further 3 of the 4 Game stops in my city report that H5 is the most returned game in the past 6 . It is even the least bought in in the past 4 months. So you tkae that with the timing of the price drop and you see that is a relation.
Supply and demand is not indicative of population. You would need to index it in order for it to be an accurate measure. Interesting observation regarding popularity at GameStop. I didn't realize there were 3 of them in the whole state of NY, let alone 3 in your city. We simply do not know where most people get H5, but I suspect Amazon,and MS are also popular places to buy it.
Did you ever go to school. Yea try to out do me by yeah I went to collage. I got my Applied Econmics M.S. So don't try to tell me about Supply and demand.
As for Game Stop. I'm in Green bay and we actually have 6 in a 50 mi, need locations so you can look it up?
http://www.gamestop.com/storesAs for amazon and yep most are prob returned to Gamestop, bad argument, stop trying. I bought mine from MS, and it's been uninstalled, guess I'm the only one who can do that Huh?
You're trying awful hard to present arguments, but you're fairly bad at it and present quite a few logical fallacies including anecdotal claims as universal truth.
Edit: To chime in on the price and population debate, the price of a base game in this era cannot be viewed as indicative to a population. Microtransactions are a thing now, and Halo 5 has been very successful in making a profit from REQ Pack sales. A lower price for the standard game is more than likely more telling to the strength of the micros in game than the number of players. 343 and MS is able to sell it lower due to this, and I see that as a good thing for accessibility.
Again you missed the point. Price does dictate current population. It tells you alot about it. If you don't think these to things don't have to do with games, cars, houses anything then you sir are sadly mistaken. They would not randomly lower the price so drastically if the population was health, which does dictate current population. Games have a formula of lowering it's prices, the only time you see these break from the norm is when they try to boost a low population or they are releasing a new version. I don't see H6 coming out so the formula says, the pop is low and 343/MS wants it higher to..... bring in more money. How would a company do this? They would lower the initial price. I don't want you to think I'm bashing or arguing, I truly am not. But this is the way all game companies work. I may change your opinion I may not, really doesn't matter in the long run, but this is the way it works. Good example. Their are still tons of people playing Xcom even with the release of Xcom 2 on PC. The pop is very health on Xbox, the price is still 39.99. How much older is Xcom then H5? A couple of yrs older.
You're still missing my point: knowing the price does not give any kind of quantitative estimate for the 24 hour UU count, or the daily peak population, or any population metric for that matter. That's all I'm interested in. If you don't have a concrete number to give, I'm not interested.
tsassi wrote:
Bringing this over from another thread that was just locked....

If you want to know how the game is doing, look at the price.
Or, I could just look at any of the proposed, though uncertain, population estimates, which at least suggest the order of magnitude of the population. What's your point?
Prices are not uncertain. Prices are not biased. They are an accurate a reflection of the market for the product (barring inference, like subsidization).

The wild drop in prices here suggest a game that has been largely rejected by purchasers. HOWEVER, this plummet in price is likely serving to stabilize the online population.

My point is, that despite the matchmaking issues we've seen, I don't have a difficult time believing that the population is marginally on the high end for this single system game. I suspect that it is experiencing high overturn, but maintaining a decent overall population nonetheless because the price point is so low.
This is true for a game that doesn't have micro-transactions. You're talking about an old gaming model. If Microsoft is seeing a good return on micro-transactions or they have a paid update coming it doesn't hurt to drop the price. They will make the money back in the 2 ways I mentioned. Look at free cell phone games. Price doesn't determine much with this model because they're are lots of different revenue streams to draw from.
The free cell phone game model doesn't work here. We're looking at something that's a bit of a hybrid model that more closely aligns with the classic model IMO, due to the up front pricing and means of distribution.

This game started at the top-price point, and additionally it is obtainable from sources, other than new directly from MS. H5 continued at that top price point until just after Christmas. The price on H5 would not have dropped unless the demand tanked or something else unknown prompted the drop.

The fact that MS/343 can make money outside of the initial price is tangential to the fact that something prompted retailers (and maybe MS as wholesaler) to cut their prices in half.

Granted, I will concede that the price would not have taken such a drastic dive without the micro transactions to support it, but that doesn't change my analysis or conclusion.
tsassi wrote:
Bringing this over from another thread that was just locked....

If you want to know how the game is doing, look at the price.
Or, I could just look at any of the proposed, though uncertain, population estimates, which at least suggest the order of magnitude of the population. What's your point?
Prices are not uncertain. Prices are not biased. They are an accurate a reflection of the market for the product (barring inference, like subsidization).

The wild drop in prices here suggest a game that has been largely rejected by purchasers. HOWEVER, this plummet in price is likely serving to stabilize the online population.

My point is, that despite the matchmaking issues we've seen, I don't have a difficult time believing that the population is marginally on the high end for this single system game. I suspect that it is experiencing high overturn, but maintaining a decent overall population nonetheless because the price point is so low.
This is true for a game that doesn't have micro-transactions. You're talking about an old gaming model. If Microsoft is seeing a good return on micro-transactions or they have a paid update coming it doesn't hurt to drop the price. They will make the money back in the 2 ways I mentioned. Look at free cell phone games. Price doesn't determine much with this model because they're are lots of different revenue streams to draw from.
The free cell phone game model doesn't work here. We're looking at something that's a bit of a hybrid model that more closely aligns with the classic model IMO, due to the up front pricing and means of distribution.

This game started at the top-price point, and additionally it is obtainable from sources, other than new directly from MS. H5 continued at that top price point until just after Christmas. The price on H5 would not have dropped unless the demand tanked or something else unknown prompted the drop.

The fact that MS/343 can make money outside of the initial price is tangential to the fact that something prompted retailers (and maybe MS as wholesaler) to cut their prices in half.

Granted, I will concede that the price would not have taken such a drastic dive without the micro transactions to support it, but that doesn't change my analysis or conclusion.
Maybe they were investing all their hope into micro transactions making them bank. I thought it was odd how many copies they were giving out for free during the day 1 live events. Not only that but stores where giving all new Xbox ones that weren't bundled with it a free copy and this was in the first few weeks of release.
tsassi wrote:
tsassi wrote:
Bringing this over from another thread that was just locked....

If you want to know how the game is doing, look at the price.
Or, I could just look at any of the proposed, though uncertain, population estimates, which at least suggest the order of magnitude of the population. What's your point?
But prices tell nothing about the population. They indicate nothing about the number of players playing the game one way or the other, which is kind of the whole point of this discussion.
Actual prices do tell a lot about a game. As stated be for, Supply and demand. This is a basic strategy for all companies. You can throw a sale out to try to persuade new users when the pop take a dramatic dip. To think sales does not say something about a population or game, or even items is narrow sighted. To take this further 3 of the 4 Game stops in my city report that H5 is the most returned game in the past 6 . It is even the least bought in in the past 4 months. So you tkae that with the timing of the price drop and you see that is a relation.
Supply and demand is not indicative of population. You would need to index it in order for it to be an accurate measure. Interesting observation regarding popularity at GameStop. I didn't realize there were 3 of them in the whole state of NY, let alone 3 in your city. We simply do not know where most people get H5, but I suspect Amazon,and MS are also popular places to buy it.
Did you ever go to school. Yea try to out do me by yeah I went to collage. I got my Applied Econmics M.S. So don't try to tell me about Supply and demand.
As for Game Stop. I'm in Green bay and we actually have 6 in a 50 mi, need locations so you can look it up?
http://www.gamestop.com/storesAs for amazon and yep most are prob returned to Gamestop, bad argument, stop trying. I bought mine from MS, and it's been uninstalled, guess I'm the only one who can do that Huh?
LOL. Put the bat down spartan. Glad you have a degree, glad you have so many gamestops in your city. Glad I am not living in Wisconsin.
tsassi wrote:
Bringing this over from another thread that was just locked....

If you want to know how the game is doing, look at the price.
Or, I could just look at any of the proposed, though uncertain, population estimates, which at least suggest the order of magnitude of the population. What's your point?
Prices are not uncertain. Prices are not biased. They are an accurate a reflection of the market for the product (barring inference, like subsidization).

The wild drop in prices here suggest a game that has been largely rejected by purchasers. HOWEVER, this plummet in price is likely serving to stabilize the online population.

My point is, that despite the matchmaking issues we've seen, I don't have a difficult time believing that the population is marginally on the high end for this single system game. I suspect that it is experiencing high overturn, but maintaining a decent overall population nonetheless because the price point is so low.
Maybe they were investing all their hope into micro transactions making them bank. I thought it was odd how many copies they were giving out for free during the day 1 live events. Not only that but stores where giving all new Xbox ones that weren't bundled with it a free copy and this was in the first few weeks of release.
That's just plain old promotional behavior, especially for a game that's almost entirely based on online multiplayer.... unless they were giving out hundreds of thousands of copies (some significant portion of the player population)?

Besides, after how badly 343 crapped the bed with H4 after the monster success of H3, they were probably trying to get the word out that H5 had a multiplayer experience worth telling your friends about.... In a good way this time.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 44
  4. 45
  5. 46
  6. 47
  7. 48
  8. ...
  9. 56