2. ...
  3. 54
  4. 55
  5. ...
  6. 56
eLantern wrote:
eLantern wrote:
kkolossal wrote:
If Halo: Infinite flops like I'm expecting it too.. then the Halo series is done for.
That's what people claimed about Halo 5, but Halo 5 seems to be doing alright for a ~3 year old game.

People were also writing off the Halo franchise after the MCC launch debacle, but there's been a rejuvenation in that game too thanks to the most recent updates.

Halo will only be "done for" when the vast majority of the community have moved on, but in all honesty that hasn't been the case thus far. Individuals move on, community segments move on, but despite those that move on there are new individuals and even new community segments that climb aboard or stick around as fans of the franchise.
I think after H4, the franchise was pretty close to rock bottom. imo H5 improved, but was still widely flawed. Not to mention the death of MLG. After the H3 MLG days, I find it way less interesting now.
Reach and H4 were certainly low points for many long-time Halo fans, but those titles had their fair share of fans and even brought aboard several new fans. I'm constantly amazed by how many people talk positively about Halo Reach now despite all the constant negativity I recall it receiving during its primary life-cycle. Even Halo 4 gets a decent share of praise (at least here and there) from people despite all the hate it also got during its primary life-cycle. This is not to say that there isn't a ton of people who don't absolutely -Yoink- on those titles, but I'm often surprised by just how many people not only liked them, but truly loved them. Long-term outlook I think Halo 5 will be remembered quite fondly by many or even most despite the issues it has.

Personally, I became a huge fan of the eSports scene during the early stages of Halo 2 just before it really took off. Strangely, I never really found Halo 3's game-play to be as exciting to spectate. In fact, I felt that there was a slowly growing and festering rot within the Halo eSports scene that was slowly ruining it during the primary life-cycle of Halo 3 despite the hype and solid spectator crowds. I still think H3's eSports scene was mostly helped by the solid foundation laid forth by everything Halo 2 did, but that's just my opinion. Many would probably consider my opinions on Halo 3's eSports scene blasphemy. Nevertheless, the roll over to Halo: Reach with its pre-Title Update settings and other decisions wasn't helpful. In fact, the community itself and that game helped torpedo Halo out of MLG and permanently harmed the franchise's footing within the American eSports scene. My personal interest disappeared with the toxicity of the "competitive" community. Strangely enough I personally started to have some rekindled interest in Halo's eSports scene the moment the Halo 4 Global Championship was held. News about Halo 2 Anniversary being used for game-play in 343i's new Halo Championship Series (HCS) had me excited. H2A HCS was great despite the major MCC issues, but I've become even more drawn to the eSports product during Halo 5's primary life-cycle which also saw the return of Halo to MLG. I actually enjoy the product more now than ever before and that's saying something considering how invested I was in watching Halo 2 (classic) eSports.
eLantern wrote:
kkolossal wrote:
If Halo: Infinite flops like I'm expecting it too.. then the Halo series is done for.
That's what people claimed about Halo 5, but Halo 5 seems to be doing alright for a ~3 year old game.People were also writing off the Halo franchise after the MCC launch debacle, but there's been a rejuvenation in that game too thanks to the most recent updates.

Halo will only be "done for" when the vast majority of the community have moved on, but in all honesty that hasn't been the case thus far. Individuals move on, community segments move on, but despite those that move on there are new individuals and even new community segments that climb aboard or stick around as fans of the franchise.
Not for a halo game.
Halo 5 sold near 6 million (Halo 4 near 10 and Halo 3 near 15).
Halo 5's population is around 20 000 (with smurf) (only 2% can be onyx)
I remember halo 3 had around 10 000 after the release of halo reach
eLantern wrote:
eLantern wrote:
kkolossal wrote:
That's what people claimed about Halo 5, but Halo 5 seems to be doing alright for a ~3 year old game.

People were also writing off the Halo franchise after the MCC launch debacle, but there's been a rejuvenation in that game too thanks to the most recent updates.

I think after H4, the franchise was pretty close to rock bottom. imo H5 improved, but was still widely flawed. Not to mention the death of MLG. After the H3 MLG days, I find it way less interesting now.
Reach and H4 were certainly low points for many long-time Halo fans, but those titles had their fair share of fans and even brought aboard several new fans. I'm constantly amazed by how many people talk positively about Halo Reach now despite all the constant negativity I recall it receiving during its primary life-cycle. Even Halo 4 gets a decent share of praise (at least here and there) from people despite all the hate it also got during its primary life-cycle. This is not to say that there isn't a ton of people who don't absolutely -Yoink- on those titles, but I'm often surprised by just how many people not only liked them, but truly loved them. Long-term outlook I think Halo 5 will be remembered quite fondly by many or even most despite the issues it has.

Personally, I became a huge fan of the eSports scene during the early stages of Halo 2 just before it really took off. Strangely, I never really found Halo 3's game-play to be as exciting to spectate. In fact, I felt that there was a slowly growing and festering rot within the Halo eSports scene that was slowly ruining it during the primary life-cycle of Halo 3 despite the hype and solid spectator crowds. I still think H3's eSports scene was mostly helped by the solid foundation laid forth by everything Halo 2 did, but that's just my opinion. Many would probably consider my opinions on Halo 3's eSports scene blasphemy. Nevertheless, the roll over to Halo: Reach with its pre-Title Update settings and other decisions wasn't helpful. In fact, the community itself and that game helped torpedo Halo out of MLG and permanently harmed the franchise's footing within the American eSports scene. My personal interest disappeared with the toxicity of the "competitive" community. Strangely enough I personally started to have some rekindled interest in Halo's eSports scene the moment the Halo 4 Global Championship was held. News about Halo 2 Anniversary being used for game-play in 343i's new Halo Championship Series (HCS) had me excited. H2A HCS was great despite the major MCC issues, but I've become even more drawn to the eSports product during Halo 5's primary life-cycle which also saw the return of Halo to MLG. I actually enjoy the product more now than ever before and that's saying something considering how invested I was in watching Halo 2 (classic) eSports.
Excellent post, I agree. It also amazes me why people love reach so much, it really was a terrible game gameplay whys. Reach was so different It created a big split in the halo community because now there are 2 types of fans who “know” what halo should play like, halo 5 has probably made that worse. No matter what happens with halo 6 people are going to moan about the gameplay and mechanics.

halo 5 is a really good multiplayer but they messed up by thinking they could launch and release the remaining content later. This is a big mistake you have to launch with all multiplayer features and game modes to keep people playing. If I remember there were only 5 ranked playlists, no oddball, no king of the hill, no big team, no forge.

all I hope is halo 6 releases with a good ranking system lots of ranked playlist (~10) good maps and a good social side. I do love competitive halo but halo 5 is so sweaty all the time it burns me out
eLantern wrote:
eLantern wrote:
kkolossal wrote:

eLantern wrote:
kkolossal wrote:
That's what people claimed about Halo 5, but Halo 5 seems to be doing alright for a ~3 year old game.People were also writing off the Halo franchise after the MCC launch debacle, but there's been a rejuvenation in that game too thanks to the most recent updates.

Not for a halo game.
Halo 5 sold near 6 million (Halo 4 near 10 and Halo 3 near 15).
Halo 5's population is around 20 000 (with smurf) (only 2% can be onyx)
I remember halo 3 had around 10 000 after the release of halo reach
Two massive points to address here:
  1. Microsoft doesn't put out any official sales numbers, so anything referenced is likely an educated guess based on 3rd party information. The most concrete info has came from Frankie who officially stated that the game had sold ~5M at the 3 month point (post-launch) and from market analyst Michael Pachter who in mid 2017 inquired about the success of Halo 5 with Microsoft. The response he received was that Halo 5's life-time sales numbers were "on par" with the like of Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, Halo 3, and Halo 4. He estimated that it would have put Halo 5's life-time sales number in the 10 million range even if you went by conservative estimates. And that was as of the middle of last year which was also prior to the launch of Xbox's subscription-based [All-Access] Game Pass which includes Halo 5. The subscription-based Game Pass further complicates any attempt to estimate an up-to-date sales number for the title.

2. It's also prudent to keep in mind the customer confidence leading into a title's launch. Several of the preceding franchise titles leading up to Halo 5's release faced their fair share of criticism which certainly had an influential impact on Halo 5's initial sales numbers. It's critically important to realize that each Halo title exists in a vacuum of its own era which means comparisons must also factor for all of the market-based differences each title has had to face leading up to and throughout their primary life-cycles. Simply put, the franchise faces a lot more quality competition nowadays then it did in the past, each new title deals with the stigma and/or praise of its predecessor, and console sales matter too. Regarding the competition side, gamers have a finite amount of time available during a day, week, month, year and they may not want to invest it solely into one title. Bravo had mentioned that Halo 5 was doing very well with regards to active monthly players (~9 months post-launch) -- best since Halo 3's primary life-cycle. Not bad considering that the Xbox One console (in which Halo 5 can only be played on) sold quite poorly in comparison to Microsoft's previous generation console (Xbox 360) and its biggest competitor during the current generation (PlayStation 4); estimated to be less than half. It'd be foolish to not realize how console sales had a direct impact on Halo 5's potential sales.
Anyways, the big picture is just what I said -- Halo 5 seems to be doing alright for a ~3 year old game [given the challenges it faces].
eLantern wrote:
The response he received was that Halo 5's life-time sales numbers were "on par" with the like of Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, Halo 3, and Halo 4. He estimated that it would have put Halo 5's life-time sales number in the 10 million range even if you went by conservative estimates. And that was as of the middle of last year which was also prior to the launch of Xbox's subscription-based [All-Access] Game Pass which includes Halo 5. The subscription-based Game Pass further complicates any attempt to estimate an up-to-date sales number for the title.
Considering there's a gap of at least 7 million copies between the sales of Halo CE and 3, that's kind of a meaningless comment, and really tells nothing useful. 10 million is definitely far from a conservative estimate. Based on what little information we have, I'd be surprised if Halo 5 had sold significantly more than 9 million copies, or significantly less than 7 million.
tsassi wrote:
eLantern wrote:
The response he received was that Halo 5's life-time sales numbers were "on par" with the like of Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, Halo 3, and Halo 4. He estimated that it would have put Halo 5's life-time sales number in the 10 million range even if you went by conservative estimates. And that was as of the middle of last year which was also prior to the launch of Xbox's subscription-based [All-Access] Game Pass which includes Halo 5. The subscription-based Game Pass further complicates any attempt to estimate an up-to-date sales number for the title.
Considering there's a gap of at least 7 million copies between the sales of Halo CE and 3, that's kind of a meaningless comment, and really tells nothing useful. 10 million is definitely far from a conservative estimate. Based on what little information we have, I'd be surprised if Halo 5 had sold significantly more than 9 million copies, or significantly less than 7 million.
The estimate is likely factoring the ratio of games to consoles in order to generate part of that "on par" expectation. I'm not going to dig up all the required research for all of the titles, but here is a decent amount on the first 3 titles with some rough analysis of the other titles (Reach & H4):

As of January 2004 Halo: Combat Evolved supposedly sold ~4 million copies worldwide and by November 2005 it was over 5 million (according to Bungie). So I think it's a safe guesstimate to suggest that it was likely around 4.75 - 5 million by the end of its primary life-cycle. It's also mentioned that HCE sold alongside more than fifty percent of Xbox consoles during the very early portion of its primary life-cycle. And with ~15.5 million consoles reportedly sold globally as of July 2004 (note: ~22 million original consoles sold as the Xbox 360 was preparing to launch at the end of 2005) you can deduce an approximate 30% sales percentage in relation to console sales by the end of the original game's primary life-cycle.

As of November 2005 Halo 2 had sold over 7 million copies (according to Bungie) and as of May 2006 it was reported (by CNNmoney) that Halo 2 had sold more than 8 million copies worldwide, but this still wasn't the end of its life-cycle yet. Halo 3 wouldn't release on the Xbox 360 until late 2007 which was still more than a year out and since Halo 2 was backward compatible on the new Xbox 360 console I'm fairly certain its monthly sales weren't all that negatively impacted in its final year. I think it's fair to say that Halo 2 likely sold well over 9 million copies, probably close to or into the 10 million range (unverified), by the end of its primary life-cycle. It's hard to quantify a total console number in relation to copies of Halo 2 by the end of its primary life-cycle thanks in part to its backward compatibility making it playable on two consoles. Microsoft reported total console sales (together) at more than 24 million by early 2006; though, the Vole announced that Microsoft had sold 10.4 million Xbox 360 consoles throughout 2006. I think it's fairly safe to suggest that the total mark between both original and Xbox 360 consoles by the end of Halo 2's primary life-cycle was likely around if not over the 35 million mark. This would still put the game in a 25-30% sales range in relation to total consoles, but with dual consoles spurring possible repeat sales some of this range might be watered down a bit.

As of January 2008 Microsoft reported that Halo 3 had sold 8.1 million copies with 48% of Xbox 360 owners having purchased the title. And according to the somewhat unreliable data by Vgchartz the game sold ~10.7 million copies by Feburary 2010. At one point there was supposedly a report posted on Waypoint that suggested that Halo 3 had reached the 14.5 million mark, but I cannot verify when that was announced; though, it would have been after its primary life-cycle since Waypoint didn't exist during it. As of April 2010 it was reported that Xbox 360 consoles sold worldwide had pushed past the 40 million mark with monthly sale averages in the 300,000 range (bolstered by Elite console sales), so I think it's fair to surmise that the total amount of 360 consoles sold may have been ~42 million by the time Halo: Reach released. This would make the game to console sales range 25-30+% which is again somewhat within fair range of the previous titles, but with an upgraded console and Red-Ring-of-Death issues spurring possible repeat sales some of this range might too be a little watered down.

I suspect that Reach and Halo 4's ratios are probably in the 13-20% range; though, with yet more upgraded consoles (the Slim line) helping to drive on-going sales it's also worth wondering how watered down the ranges are. With console quantities naturally progressing toward higher amounts at the end of the 360's generation and with increased competition on the FPS market front both of these titles were hard pressed to meet the percentages put forth by the earlier titles, but I think both failed more than Microsoft expected. With Reach as the second Halo title released on the Xbox 360 platform I'm sure its sales numbers were fairly disappointing compared to what expectations they may have had with it following the highly successful Halo 3. It's harder to say what their expectations would have been for Halo 4 following Halo Reach, but what we do know is that the Xbox 360 reached the 84 million mark by June 2014 while Halo 4's unreliable sales totals didn't seem to be any better than Halo Reach's unreliable numbers.

Microsoft switched from console sales figures as a metric of success to Xbox Live usership and engagement in 2014, but research firm IHS Markit estimates that ~40 million Xbox One consoles have been sold as of April 2018 which likely puts Halo 5 into the 20-25% range based on fairly conservative estimates with the biggest unknown being the effect that the Games Pass may have provided it. If Microsoft is in fact looking at Xbox Live usership and engagement as another aspect of Halo 5's "on par" relationship to past titles there's way too much information to try sifting through -- if its still even accessible online. But what is known is that Xbox Live subscriptions in relation to console purchases have only increased throughout the years; in other words, not many will buy an Xbox One and not invest in the Xbox Live service. Therefore, this might help bolster Halo 5's "on par" metrics in relation to past titles too given the online usership aspect.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I think it’s the best game within the game pass despite its issues, but that’s just me. Nevertheless, the MCC is the next best IMO.

To answer your question: Yes.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 54
  4. 55
  5. ...
  6. 56