Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Halo 5's Multiplayer. Love it? Hate it? Why?

OP JG Graffiti

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
I've played Halo since 2001. I've always loved the game, but the H5 weapon tuning, moving them around in req levels and adding more commendations half way through the games life really made me frown. You finally get 100% on your commendation then low and behold there's more added. Why is a pistol more powerful and a rifle... Go figure...
I like the gameplay of it. I like playing BTB fiesta or fiesta mode when I want to have fun with a bunch of random spawns that give you a chance with mythic weapons. Then for being serious the rank matches. And I love warzone. Its fun and has game modes for serious players and modes for players who want to have fun.
I absolutely love the H5 multiplayer, I already spilled my guts on the other thread about how I like the mobility (but it needs tweaking) In short the key to H5's mobility is balance, its not chosen or limited, everyone has the same balanced sandbox. Infinite can improve on this balance. I would not shed a tear for spartan charge though. I don't understand those who think it doesn't play like halo, it does, it really does. Halo is not about being slow. Everything that makes halo halo is in halo 5. In some ways its just cranked to the max, that happens when you have a reasonably balanced sandbox.

About the sandbox, I love that FINALLY the magnum is useful, without being a power weapon (looking at you CE) but I agree that the BR was overly nerfed. I want to see the BR beat the magnum in over 50% of gunfights over 10 m away. That's pretty reasonable. Everything else falls into place well. The SMG was nerfed a tad much too I guess. In short, no halo has a perfect sandbox, but H5 in my opinion has come the closest to a balanced sandbox, and that's a testament to the game because it also has the broadest selection in competitive playlists. The mobility options actually help this too, the more skilled player almost always wins, as they should, you can combine superior mobility, superior map control to compensate whatever marginally inferior weapon you have. Halo 3, BR or die, halo 4 BR/DMR or die, Reach DMR. In halo 5 it doesn't matter what you have in your hands, you are not safe from a superior player with a slightly inferior weapon. That is halo. You should never feel safe from the better player, even when you got the first shot or 2.
I absolutely love the H5 multiplayer, I already spilled my guts on the other thread about how I like the mobility (but it needs tweaking) In short the key to H5's mobility is balance, its not chosen or limited, everyone has the same balanced sandbox. Infinite can improve on this balance. I would not shed a tear for spartan charge though. I don't understand those who think it doesn't play like halo, it does, it really does. Halo is not about being slow. Everything that makes halo halo is in halo 5. In some ways its just cranked to the max, that happens when you have a reasonably balanced sandbox.

About the sandbox, I love that FINALLY the magnum is useful, without being a power weapon (looking at you CE) but I agree that the BR was overly nerfed. I want to see the BR beat the magnum in over 50% of gunfights over 10 m away. That's pretty reasonable. Everything else falls into place well. The SMG was nerfed a tad much too I guess. In short, no halo has a perfect sandbox, but H5 in my opinion has come the closest to a balanced sandbox, and that's a testament to the game because it also has the broadest selection in competitive playlists. The mobility options actually help this too, the more skilled player almost always wins, as they should, you can combine superior mobility, superior map control to compensate whatever marginally inferior weapon you have. Halo 3, BR or die, halo 4 BR/DMR or die, Reach DMR. In halo 5 it doesn't matter what you have in your hands, you are not safe from a superior player with a slightly inferior weapon. That is halo. You should never feel safe from the better player, even when you got the first shot or 2.
I like many of the new mechanisms as well but the quality of the game and what gameplay feels like has definitely changed - and it has weirdly more difficult and easier at the same time. I was doing way worse in other Halo multiplayer games because running, boosting and clambering were not an option so most of the time there was no escape from head-to-head fights. You just had to have good aim. Also, Spartan charge ... I mean, come on... that is such a non-characteristic feature for Halo. People can just run around and then Spartan charge you in the back - you never see it coming with your limited radar and it will always kill you.

So, it is a lot different . About the weapons: It just makes people go for headshots with the Magnum. The use of weapons mainly varies because people want to get commendations.
I absolutely hate halo 5's multiplayer.

1. The abilities ruin the core Halo gameplay. Ground pound, spartan charge and thrusters should not be in halo. Also the whole "your shied doesn't recharge while sprinting" is ridiculous.
2. The matchmaking for ranked is horrible. I haven't played halo 5 in over a year and I just played a couple matches today. I couldn't find a match in social quickplay for some reason so I tried my chances with ranked arena. Mind you I haven't played halo 5 in over a year so I haven't been placed in ranked for some time and for however many seasons it has been. So in all 3 games I played I got the floor mopped with me because it kept putting me in with Diamond and Platinum players for some reason. WHY?!? Why does the person who hasn't played in a year and isn't even placed in that gamemode yet, getting put up against diamonds and platinums?

3.The aiming in 5 is really weird. Having different sensitivities for horizontal and vertical aiming. It just feels off.
I'm an extremely hardcore Halo player, been playing since Halo 1. But unfortunately, I lost my main account due to being scammed. Regardless, I LOVE Halo 5 MP because it feels smooth and fast paced, but not to fast to where you don't know what's going on half the time 😂
For me, when halo 5 is fun, its really fun but there is a lot about the game that just makes me angry or frustrated. I really think halo is at its best when the games sandbox is balanced correctly and utilized appropriately (also I think halo is at its best when you are right up next to your opponent), I really think halo 3 was the best example of this because the BR in 3 was good but it wasn't perfect like it was in halo 2 so it gave room for other weapons to shine. Most weapons compared to the magnum are completely useless in arena because the magnums ttk/range is so good, you are basically shooting yourself in the foot if you don't use it. Even the br and dmr fall short because their ttk is higher. Arena and Firefight is where I get the most enjoyment out of the game, Warzone just feels like a chaotic mess that I will never get the hang of. Overall the game is fun but its highs are really high and its lows are really low, the older games felt a lot more consistent.
Halo multiplayer isn't my style. I've played other games that rely on modular instead of static equipment, and have felt less of a need to question the tactics of myself and my teammates. I could introduce the concept of, say, Spartans that could be changed to be faster or tougher, or had distinct features in the weapons that offer utility without having a major impact on the damage output, but that hasn't been proven to be a priority here. Plus, the stress isn't worth enduring the abuse of Magnums and one-shot/DPS weapons.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
It's a decent space shooter if you take it at face value, but it's pretty bad if you start breaking it down and really looking into it.
Never played h5 but care to elaborate on that?
I have played every Halo and I love the series. Here are my thoughts on Halo 5.
  • THE GAME IS BEAUTIFUL; environments, weapons, effects and vehicles.
  • SO much LORE. I love it.
  • GUNPLAY is smooth. I dont like ADS but its still fun.
  • I DONT like the "BOOST" and "ground pound". its a cheap way to get an easy kill.
  • grenades still too strong..like in Reach most of my deaths are via grenades.
  • Armors are too "busy" aka too much detail that ironically makes them bland.
  • clambering and mobility is neat but sometimes its a pain to almost kill someone but they scurry away.
  • IM A HALO Veteran but why did it place me in PLATINUM!? i just bought the game last week. i feel like im playing at a tournament.
  • while i dont want to discourage innovation and i can see 343 put a love in the game i would prefer a return to Halo CE/HALO2 multiplayer.
  • SIMPLICITY
LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! It's my favorite multiplayer shooter, mainly because of the competitive nature of it. I see a lot of claim its too competitive for casual play, but imo you can jump into a game of BTB, Castle wars, or mythic arena and easily have a good time regardless of effort.
WD Hawkeye wrote:

2. The matchmaking for ranked is horrible. I haven't played halo 5 in over a year and I just played a couple matches today. I couldn't find a match in social quickplay for some reason so I tried my chances with ranked arena. Mind you I haven't played halo 5 in over a year so I haven't been placed in ranked for some time and for however many seasons it has been. So in all 3 games I played I got the floor mopped with me because it kept putting me in with Diamond and Platinum players for some reason. WHY?!? Why does the person who hasn't played in a year and isn't even placed in that gamemode yet, getting put up against diamonds and platinums?

Might be your Matchmaking Ranking (MMR). The MMR system is seperate from the visible ranking system and (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) doesn't reset between seasons. So, if you did fairly well on Halo 5 the last time you played, the game might still match you agains higher ranking players even after a year long hiatus. Either that or the player population in ranked is so low that your only get high ranking players (havent played in around 2 months myself).
Hands down my favorite Halo multiplayer to date, especially the Team Arena settings. I love the advanced movement but I wish spartan charge and pound were removed from all of the ranked playlists. Having the Ability Tracker instead of the Motion Tracker in all ranked playlists would be perfect as well. Also, I wish they didn't absolutely ruin the BR with the weapon tuning update, it was a huge mistake. What I love most about H5 are the crazy methodical plays you see from top tier players. You just do not get that kind of gameplay from the classic Halo's. The plays you can make in H5 are just too damn nasty, and the gunfights are absolutely badass. I love this game.
Love it! Ive played so many games and always return to Halo. At times it can be very inconsistent with player skill/server connection but guns feel great, movement is amazing and Im always challenged. Cant wait for Infinite.
Its ranked mode is way better than MCC. With MCC they don’t have a big enough population for their ranking system and it’s too spread out with playlists. In Halo 5 I find matches pretty easily for FFA and head to head. I’m a FFA/1v1 focused player so Halo 5 is the best there is out there for that. MCC only focuses on team modes. Social matches on MCC seem to be better and more fun imo.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4