Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Halo 5's Multiplayer. Love it? Hate it? Why?

OP JG Graffiti

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
I've played Halo since 2001. I've always loved the game, but the H5 weapon tuning, moving them around in req levels and adding more commendations half way through the games life really made me frown. You finally get 100% on your commendation then low and behold there's more added. Why is a pistol more powerful and a rifle... Go figure...
I like the gameplay of it. I like playing BTB fiesta or fiesta mode when I want to have fun with a bunch of random spawns that give you a chance with mythic weapons. Then for being serious the rank matches. And I love warzone. Its fun and has game modes for serious players and modes for players who want to have fun.
I absolutely love the H5 multiplayer, I already spilled my guts on the other thread about how I like the mobility (but it needs tweaking) In short the key to H5's mobility is balance, its not chosen or limited, everyone has the same balanced sandbox. Infinite can improve on this balance. I would not shed a tear for spartan charge though. I don't understand those who think it doesn't play like halo, it does, it really does. Halo is not about being slow. Everything that makes halo halo is in halo 5. In some ways its just cranked to the max, that happens when you have a reasonably balanced sandbox.

About the sandbox, I love that FINALLY the magnum is useful, without being a power weapon (looking at you CE) but I agree that the BR was overly nerfed. I want to see the BR beat the magnum in over 50% of gunfights over 10 m away. That's pretty reasonable. Everything else falls into place well. The SMG was nerfed a tad much too I guess. In short, no halo has a perfect sandbox, but H5 in my opinion has come the closest to a balanced sandbox, and that's a testament to the game because it also has the broadest selection in competitive playlists. The mobility options actually help this too, the more skilled player almost always wins, as they should, you can combine superior mobility, superior map control to compensate whatever marginally inferior weapon you have. Halo 3, BR or die, halo 4 BR/DMR or die, Reach DMR. In halo 5 it doesn't matter what you have in your hands, you are not safe from a superior player with a slightly inferior weapon. That is halo. You should never feel safe from the better player, even when you got the first shot or 2.
I absolutely love the H5 multiplayer, I already spilled my guts on the other thread about how I like the mobility (but it needs tweaking) In short the key to H5's mobility is balance, its not chosen or limited, everyone has the same balanced sandbox. Infinite can improve on this balance. I would not shed a tear for spartan charge though. I don't understand those who think it doesn't play like halo, it does, it really does. Halo is not about being slow. Everything that makes halo halo is in halo 5. In some ways its just cranked to the max, that happens when you have a reasonably balanced sandbox.

About the sandbox, I love that FINALLY the magnum is useful, without being a power weapon (looking at you CE) but I agree that the BR was overly nerfed. I want to see the BR beat the magnum in over 50% of gunfights over 10 m away. That's pretty reasonable. Everything else falls into place well. The SMG was nerfed a tad much too I guess. In short, no halo has a perfect sandbox, but H5 in my opinion has come the closest to a balanced sandbox, and that's a testament to the game because it also has the broadest selection in competitive playlists. The mobility options actually help this too, the more skilled player almost always wins, as they should, you can combine superior mobility, superior map control to compensate whatever marginally inferior weapon you have. Halo 3, BR or die, halo 4 BR/DMR or die, Reach DMR. In halo 5 it doesn't matter what you have in your hands, you are not safe from a superior player with a slightly inferior weapon. That is halo. You should never feel safe from the better player, even when you got the first shot or 2.
I like many of the new mechanisms as well but the quality of the game and what gameplay feels like has definitely changed - and it has weirdly more difficult and easier at the same time. I was doing way worse in other Halo multiplayer games because running, boosting and clambering were not an option so most of the time there was no escape from head-to-head fights. You just had to have good aim. Also, Spartan charge ... I mean, come on... that is such a non-characteristic feature for Halo. People can just run around and then Spartan charge you in the back - you never see it coming with your limited radar and it will always kill you.

So, it is a lot different . About the weapons: It just makes people go for headshots with the Magnum. The use of weapons mainly varies because people want to get commendations.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4