Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] Halo 5's Terrible animations

OP qrime

I feel as though no one has addressed the awful stuttering animations in Halo 5 when anything is around 20+ meters away making the action look ugly at a distance. They look like they are rendered at a lower frame rate or something. Has anyone else noticed this or am I the only one who cares?
Just so no one thinks I'm just negative, I'm really enjoying the game so far it's a lot of fun, just a few issues here and there.
Can't say I have noticed honestly. The animations run smoothly for me
I haven't noticed anything. I'll look out next time I play
They run at a lower frame rate apparently, something to do with allowing processing power to go elsewhere?
Characters are animated at 30FPS at 10m away to keep 60FPS. 30FPS animations don't look awkward at 30FPS frame rates, but the actual game runs at 60FPS, so it is very noticeable.
Digital foundry even mentioned this in their analysis which I have time stamped here for easy viewing. To be honest, I've only noticed it a couple times during my play through
Actually, digital foundry pointed this out a few days ago. It seem that they cut the frames in half for any action that happens in the distance.
So far, I think the game looks pretty good but it's clearly not 1080p. the verbal gymnastics surrounding the "dynamic resolution" is just code for, "not 1080p".

I've played through half the campaign so far and for the most part am enjoying it.
qrime wrote:
I feel as though no one has addressed the awful stuttering animations in Halo 5 when anything is around 20+ meters away making the action look ugly at a distance. They look like they are rendered at a lower frame rate or something. Has anyone else noticed this or am I the only one who cares?
I have noticed some of the jittery animations. Not fully sure what is causing the problem. As you said it could be rendered at a lower frame rate or it could just be a simple visual bug.
Agree, it looks awful. To bad with a flagship like Halo 5.

Like 360 quality
I have a friend...long time Halo partner...will not even PLAY Halo 5 with me "until they fix the legs"...He finds the animation of the Spartan's legs while running at a slight distance to be so offputting that he can't even bring himself to boot up the game.

So very sad.
Let's not revive year old threads thanks