Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] Halo 5's weapon sounds are terrible.

OP Aurik Kal Durin

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 24
I though the weapon sound effects in Halo 4 were bad, but somehow they managed to make it worse in Halo 5.

The worst-sounding weapons in Halo 4 were easily the Battle Rifle and Storm Rifle. The Magnum was pretty cringe-worthy too, but not quite as bad IMO. But in Halo 5, the Magnum sounds ridiculous; much like Halo 4 BR, it sounds like a cheap toy. The AR, BR, DMR, and SMG all sound fine (but still inferior to Bungie's Halo games), but the SAW and Railgun definitely sounded better in Halo 4 when they were first introduced. The Sniper Rifle and Rocket Launcher are pretty much the same deal as they were in Halo 4- they sounded better in Halo: Reach and every Halo game that came before that. I don't know why they ever tossed out the classic weapon sounds to begin with, but it was a bad idea. Can anyone honestly say they prefer the 343i-era sounds for the Sniper Rifle compared to the Bungie-era Sniper Rifle? 343i's version doesn't have that nice *crack* to it when you pull the trigger.

The Promethean weapons are the worst. The Light Rifle had a very unique firing sound in Halo 4; it suited the weapon well. But in Halo 5, they changed to cliché pew-pew sound like the Alien Blaster in Fallout 3- now that suits the Alien Blaster just fine- but it does not suit the Light Rifle.

The Boltshot I don't know what to make of... but the Suppressor? Again, they ruined the firing sound for this gun. Like the Light Rifle, it had a very unique and intimidating firing sound in Halo 4, and now it just makes this sort of clicking noise when it fires in Halo 5. No longer does it sound like a powerful hard-light submachine gun... it sounds like the toy Uzi we saw that kid using in Predator 2."Want some candy?"

I really wish 343i would just stop changing things just for the heck of it. Why they ever felt that they need to create new sound effects for the weapons and vehicles when they already had the full suite of awesome sounds that Bungie recorded... I just don't get it. Same goes for weapon and vehicle models- the 343i-era Battle Rifle looks like junk compared to the Bungie-era version. Same goes for the Shotgun, the turrets, the Warthog, the Scorpion... the Halo 5 Ghost and Wraith look like trash, and then there's the Pelican- the Pelican design in Halo: Reach (which is also the design used in Halo: CE Anniversary and Halo 2: Anniversary) was just so cool and sleek and made me want to fly it more than ever before. But then comes the Halo 4 Pelican, which is just so fat and ugly- and of course the Halo 4 version also had those ridiculous turrets stuck on the side like they were an afterthought- and I just do not get why they had to take such a cool-looking vehicle and completely change the way it looked.
No they are pretty darn realistic, while still achieving that futuristic feel. The sound of the scattershot is nothing, but satisfying
M8 this game has some of the best sound design in a Halo game.
Why do they keep changing the sounds of the weapons every game? I could play you the sounds of a lightsaber, a star wars blaster, a tie fighter, r2d2, and chewbacca, and you would recognize every single one of them instantly, because they're classic sounds that have stayed the same from one movie to the next.
Yeah we got it , "343 su**s and blah blah bring back good old days blah blah"...same cyclic complaining topic.
I find that the sounds in halo 5 are really good
Most of the standard weapons I don't have an opinion on other than the AR sounding like scraping wood, but 80% of the alien power weapon sounds are pretty cringe.

I can't even... It was as if someone thought infusing every generic 'pew' sound in existence made weapons sound more powerful. I kinda want to say it always accomplishes the opposite. Not even a handheld blaster in star wars sounds as pitiful as the splaser does in this game.

The sound of the DMR is so sexy
Won't argue that one, though.
I think the DMR sounds best in Halo 4 and 5. The sound for Reach wasn't bad, but I like that, in Halo 4/5 it kind of sounds like a big dog barking, especially if you fire it fast.

I think the AR sound in Halo 5 is OK, but I like halo 3's best.
No they are pretty darn realistic, while still achieving that futuristic feel. The sound of the scattershot is nothing, but satisfying
M8 this game has some of the best sound design in a Halo game.
Yeah sorry OP but Halo 5's sounds are incredible.
what the hell?? all sounds are great...
SFX are awesome, hands down. With my surround sound on as well, it is pretty accurate to hear the shots off in the distance and know which area they are coming from.
There are some guns that bother me, but there aren't a lot I don't like. The Sniper Rifle just doesn't sound like it has the same kick to it when fired. The Light Rifle sounds a bit weird now. The BR85 Battle Rifle still doesn't sound that good. It's an improvement over the cricket noise, but I would like it better if it sounded more like the H2 BR. The Plasma Pistol sounds really weird. If they used the H2A sound effects for some of the weapons, it would help a lot. And I agree with a lot of you, the DMR sounds really damn good.
They aren't going to use eight year old weapon sounds in a game made in 2015. If they did that, they would be criticized for being lazy, which apparently they already are which pisses me off that people say that in the first place. 343 can't please everyone but don't also make it seem like every sound from Halo 3 and Reach were amazing, especially the AR from Halo 3, that was toy sounding if I ever heard it. Stop complaining about things that legitimately have no effect on game play, this thread is cancer
Halo 3's AR popcorn maker? No thank you.

The difference between Bungie's and 343's weapon sounds is that 343 records real firearms.
I think most sounds are pretty good.

Only guns I can think of that really got a downgrade imo was the Saw and the Suppressor..... But who cares, it's just the Suppressor lol.

The AR, for example doesn't sound as powerful as it did in H4 but it's sound in H5 matches the way it performs.

Light rifle is a huge upgrade. It's sound in H4 was awkward and not crisp at all. Sometimes guns should just need to go pew pew. It's basically a laser gun.
I can agree the H5 BR sounds bad. It sounds like driving a nail in with a hammer. One of the main reasons I like using the H2 BR more. It just sounds better.
Almost all the weapons sounds incredibly weak. They sound like toy guns purchased from Walmart. the exceptions being the DMR and Sniper. the weak sounding weapons was the first thing that I noticed that I was disappointed about. People either forgot and never played CE. Because the AR and pistol sound incredibly violent in that game. The sounds have only gotten worse since then. Will also say the AR in H3 was the worst of all of of them.
Realistic? Maybe you've never fired a rifle but...no echo... pretty much no bass in any of the bullet-shooting weapons when you fire them. They may not be terrible, but they are certainty not realistic.
The only sound change that bugs me is the plasma pistol. I miss that low hum when it was charging.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 24