Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] Halo 5's weapon sounds are terrible.

OP Aurik Kal Durin

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 20
  4. 21
  5. 22
  6. 23
  7. ...
  8. 24
The sound can't be like the origina, weapon because there is a healmet and for this reason the sound change
So now we're just complaining for the heck of it, are we? In that case HALO 5 IS CRAP 343 SHOULD HAVE MADE THE FOOTSTEP SOUND BETTER BUNGIE CAN DO NO WRONG AND IT IS A SIN FOR 343 TO TRY AND CHANGE THE GAME. (now that we're done with that huge run on sentence) Do you really want to be sold the same game twice?
Better than two tin cans banging together.
Better than two tin cans banging together.
Yet I bet they could make a cool sound from that if they really tried. After all...they made the energy sword sound amazing with coins and dry ice for Halo 2 Anniversary.
I think Halo 4 had some of the best weapon sounds aside from a few (the BR was horrible). In Halo 5, I think they improved the AR, the DMR, and the BR (but it's still pretty bad). The rest are either neutral or for the worse.

It's mostly the Covenant weapons. In Halo 4, they made them sound like legitimate high-tech weaponry. In Halo 5, they scrapped all that and went with a cliche "pew pew!" theme. The Needler makes "pew" noises for some reason. In Halo 4, it sounded like it was actually shooting shards of crystal. Even the freaking Spartan Laser makes a pew noise now. It's an anti-tank laser. It should sound like a crack of lightning, not a high pitched "pa-chew!".

I was also thoroughly disappointed in how they changed the shotgun's sound. Halo 4's shotty was by far the coolest sounding shotgun in any game I've ever played, and they neutered it in Halo 5, making it sound like every other generic shotgun "poosh" in the genre.

The H5 Magnum doesn't even sound like a real firearm. I have no idea what they were thinking when designing its sound. That's simply not the sound you would expect to come out of any firearm, lol. I can't even describe it. It's like half the team wanted it to be a suppressed Magnum and the other half said no, and they met halfway.

The Mantis autocannon (or HMG? I really don't know, 343 is inconsistent with that stuff) also sounded awesome in Halo 4 but neutered in Halo 5. Though it could be to more accurately reflect its piss-poor damage output.
Halo 3's AR popcorn maker? No thank you.

The difference between Bungie's and 343's weapon sounds is that 343 records real firearms.
Totally agree with you, Halo 3 had the WORST weapon sounds out of all halos, many of them sound like paper toy guns... not to mention the awful hit detection (only halo game that uses projectile instead of hitscan detection). Can't believe there are so many threads about going back to the halo 3 days, it's such an AWFUL game when compared to Halo 5. No sprint, really? BTB plays painfully slow without it, it has not aged well if you were to go back and play MCC.

In short, keep sprint, keep the guns sounding powerful, and keep cranking out the playlists that we want (e.g. dominion, extraction, infection, heavies, husky raid, etc.)
Yeah do all that, and totally forget about the superior ranking, map design, lobbies and playlists that made up Halo 3. Where's Double Team, Oddball and KOTH. Actual armor and emblem customization? Medal count? Nowhere to be found. Halo 5 does have some new tricks to offer, but just as many, if not more, things that were down graded/removed. Hundreds of useless armors and emblems vs unique armor that had to be earned. Boring maps and stupid remixes?! I'm not saying we should go back to Halo 2 or 3, just not discard everything that made them great. Anyone that argues how much better the guns sound now clearly haven't put enough hours into previous Halo's to know how underwhelming they actually are, among many other things.
Wait what? I'm not following your chain of reasoning.
There are Weapon sounds I like and I dislike, some, I think 343 made a good job ( not the best, not the worst like the Sniper Rifle)

I like
  • Light Rifle: (when its zoomed is the BEST) my favorite sound in the game.
  • Battle rifle: 3 shots firing very fast is very good
  • Assault Rifle: sound is very satisfying - imo is the best of the series.
  • Supressor: now i can see and hear every shot being fired from it.
  • Fuel Rod Cannon: No doubts is the best of the series.
  • Railgun: That "bzzzt" before firing is great!
  • Pistol: I like it a lot!
  • DMR: no arguments against it.
  • Plasma Caster: Smart-link makes the sound very satisfying.
  • Rocket Launcher: That mechanisms "kling klang" sound.
  • Incineration Cannon: The charged shot is amazing.
I dislike
  • Plasma Pistol: I miss that "whuuumm" when charging.
  • Boltshot: sounds weird in my opinion.
  • Most of the covenant weapons: is just like "pew pew", except the Needler.
  • Spartan Laser: When charging is great, but the shot itself is disapointing.
  • Shotgun: the weapon design I like a lot, but the shot is too much suppressed.
  • Scattershot: I thing the sound could be more aggressive.
S 000 DeM wrote:

The difference between Bungie's and 343's weapon sounds is that 343 records real firearms.
Totally agree with you, Halo 3 had the WORST weapon sounds out of all halos, many of them sound like paper toy guns... not to mention the awful hit detection (only halo game that uses projectile instead of hitscan detection). Can't believe there are so many threads about going back to the halo 3 days, it's such an AWFUL game when compared to Halo 5. No sprint, really? BTB plays painfully slow without it, it has not aged well if you were to go back and play MCC.

In short, keep sprint, keep the guns sounding powerful, and keep cranking out the playlists that we want (e.g. dominion, extraction, infection, heavies, husky raid, etc.)
Yeah do all that, and totally forget about the superior ranking, map design, lobbies and playlists that made up Halo 3. Where's Double Team, Oddball and KOTH. Actual armor and emblem customization? Medal count? Nowhere to be found. Halo 5 does have some new tricks to offer, but just as many, if not more, things that were down graded/removed. Hundreds of useless armors and emblems vs unique armor that had to be earned. Boring maps and stupid remixes?! I'm not saying we should go back to Halo 2 or 3, just not discard everything that made them great. Anyone that argues how much better the guns sound now clearly haven't put enough hours into previous Halo's to know how underwhelming they actually are, among many other things.
Because Halo 3 had more playlists, Halo 5 guns sound bad.

Dude, its basic rocket science.
S 000 DeM wrote:

Because Halo 3 had more playlists, Halo 5 guns sound bad.

I play Halo with studio grade headphones so I am well aware of what previous Halo games sound like. XD Halo 5 definitely has improved weapon sounds. Sure not all of them are great but they are an improvement from the older sound recordings that everyone wants used. Come on, Halo 3 sounds are over seven years old, guys.

It's 2016, we have far better recording software now than a near decade ago.

And your reasoning is completely irrelevant. Nothing about the playlist has to do with the reasons the weapons sound the way they do now.
Ran out of things to complain about? I can tell. Weapon sounds are fine, just stop. They were upgraded over time, therefore the sounds when you fire them vary over the years. Seriously, stop the useless complaining
Kek
I still prefer the original energy sword noise however.
M8 this game has some of the best sound design in a Halo game.

Actually, of any game.
Yeah Im not a fan of the pew pew sounds... Feel like they should make them sound futuristic but bad -Yoink-... Not cliche alien.

And the BR sounds underwhelming. Wish it had more punch.

I've noticed I subconsciously avoid guns that sound embarrassing after reading this thread.

But- the sound quality in general is superb.
I though the weapon sound effects in Halo 4 were bad, but somehow they managed to make it worse in Halo 5.

The worst-sounding weapons in Halo 4 were easily the Battle Rifle and Storm Rifle. The Magnum was pretty cringe-worthy too, but not quite as bad IMO. But in Halo 5, the Magnum sounds ridiculous; much like Halo 4 BR, it sounds like a cheap toy. The AR, BR, DMR, and SMG all sound fine (but still inferior to Bungie's Halo games), but the SAW and Railgun definitely sounded better in Halo 4 when they were first introduced. The Sniper Rifle and Rocket Launcher are pretty much the same deal as they were in Halo 4- they sounded better in Halo: Reach and every Halo game that came before that. I don't know why they ever tossed out the classic weapon sounds to begin with, but it was a bad idea. Can anyone honestly say they prefer the 343i-era sounds for the Sniper Rifle compared to the Bungie-era Sniper Rifle? 343i's version doesn't have that nice *crack* to it when you pull the trigger.

The Promethean weapons are the worst. The Light Rifle had a very unique firing sound in Halo 4; it suited the weapon well. But in Halo 5, they changed to cliché pew-pew sound like the Alien Blaster in Fallout 3- now that suits the Alien Blaster just fine- but it does not suit the Light Rifle.

The Boltshot I don't know what to make of... but the Suppressor? Again, they ruined the firing sound for this gun. Like the Light Rifle, it had a very unique and intimidating firing sound in Halo 4, and now it just makes this sort of clicking noise when it fires in Halo 5. No longer does it sound like a powerful hard-light submachine gun... it sounds like the toy Uzi we saw that kid using in Predator 2."Want some candy?"

I really wish 343i would just stop changing things just for the heck of it. Why they ever felt that they need to create new sound effects for the weapons and vehicles when they already had the full suite of awesome sounds that Bungie recorded... I just don't get it. Same goes for weapon and vehicle models- the 343i-era Battle Rifle looks like junk compared to the Bungie-era version. Same goes for the Shotgun, the turrets, the Warthog, the Scorpion... the Halo 5 Ghost and Wraith look like trash, and then there's the Pelican- the Pelican design in Halo: Reach (which is also the design used in Halo: CE Anniversary and Halo 2: Anniversary) was just so cool and sleek and made me want to fly it more than ever before. But then comes the Halo 4 Pelican, which is just so fat and ugly- and of course the Halo 4 version also had those ridiculous turrets stuck on the side like they were an afterthought- and I just do not get why they had to take such a cool-looking vehicle and completely change the way it looked.
I like the way the Magnum sounds in Halo 5. I don't want it to sound too much like the DMR, because I want the DMR to sound especially loud and powerful, so you notice when you drop your Magnum for it. Lol, you want to hear what a cheap toy sounds like, go listen to the H3 AR. The worst sounding gun in Halo history. I think the SAW and Railgun definitely sound better in Halo 5. Go take Xbox DVR clips of each and compare them. You will see that H5's are better. Or hear I should say. No way, the Sniper definitely sounds best in Halo 5, no doubt. And the new Rocket Launcher especially sounds significantly better than it did in any Halo game before. The Light Rifle definitely does NOT sound like the Alien Blaster from Fallout 3. There is much more noise to the LR's sound than "pew pew". Go listen to it with headphones on or something. Boltshot and Suppressor sound appropriate for what they look like, I think they sound fine.

I don't think 343 changes things for "the heck of it", I think they change things because they believe they can make them better, or because the community asks them to. I'm quite happy with the fact that 343 re-recorded all of the weapon sounds. I think pretty much every one of them sounds better. Lol, whatever man, the weapon and vehicle models look better than ever in Halo 5, by far. Especially with how they integrated the Smart Link into all of the weapon designs. It's really awesome on the Promethean and Covenant weapons especially. The Ghost and Wraith look more badass than ever. I especially like the way the new Banshee looks. I thought the Pelican looked awesome in Halo 4, and it was awesome to pilot it for the first time.
Here's a comparison of the Sniper Rifles in each game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2olAgMthFWQ

My favorites are the Halo CE, 3, and Reach Sniper Rifles, but Halo 5's is definitely the best by far. Close your eyes and listen to each. When the Halo 5 Sniper comes on, it's just like WOAH! Big difference! Definitely noticeably better.
itt: people listening with TV speakers
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 20
  4. 21
  5. 22
  6. 23
  7. ...
  8. 24