Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] Halo 5's weapon sounds are terrible.

OP Aurik Kal Durin

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 22
  4. 23
  5. ...
  6. 24
I agree completely, Bungie made them sound original but now they're generic. The plasma pistol and the light rifle when not zoomed are so horrible it sounds like a sound a little kid makes for shooting lasers.

The Warthog sounds like a lawnmower, the BR sounds like a power tool... it's just so awful because the sound of Halo is like 30% of the game and so all of that nostalgia is now corrupted.

It is such a strange complaint I know, but for me it just kills the game and shows how little 343 know about originality.

Edit: I just read ReteroX's post and I admit I haven't seen any Halo 5 documentaries on the sound so I'm willing to look into it a bit more. It took my almost a year to get into this game and accept it wasn't just another Halo so I guess eventually I will come to accept the sounds as well. Some, like the sword I just cannot forgive though lol
Thankfully custom soundtracks help me hide them a lot.
Tactical pistol sound made me sad.
Sniper rifle sounds ok, but it sounds AMAZING in H2A. Why they didn't keep that is beyond me.

BR is just absolutely terrible in halo 5. All the BR's should sound like the H2BR. It actually looks and sounds like a BR.

The energy sword should sound like the older games. It's ok in H5, but much better in the older games.

...and I know not sound related, but the rockets should of never been invented. The SPNKr should be the only rockets in Halo and should have the original sounds.

Overall the sounds are pretty good in Halo 5 I feel but I don't like how some of the, in my opinion, iconic sounds of some of the weapons like the energy sword get changed. Star Wars would never change the sound of their lightsaber so why is Halo changing their sounds?? Just another thing 343 does that I just don't understand...
Did you really just call weapon SFX "cringe worthy" ?
What the -Yoink-

They're all pretty good except for the Suppressor.
The only ones I really have a problem with honestly are the shotgun and gravity hammer. Both sounded much better before
Probably the worst sound is the shotgun. It sounds like an air soft gun. The sounds are better than Halo 4, not by much though..
“Soon Halo’s reclamation will begin, but when it does, the weight of your denial will stay your feet, and you shall be left behind ”
I had never noticed that but I think they're right sounds compared to other games such as Battlefield sounds of the weapons are still very different although they are completely different weapons I think could be improved.
I feel like nostalgia is a helluva drug for a lot of people. On a whim yesterday I sat down and played through the entire H3 campaign for the first time in maybe 8 years (I was a lazy POS yesterday). I have a nice set of Astro headphones, so I can hear every little detail. The sound environment in H3 is pretty awful compared to current games. The weapons sound puny and insubstantial. The H3 BR is the only decent sounding weapon in the game. The pistol sounds like a hollow shell of the M6D from CE; the AR sounds like one of those lawnmowers that kids push around with the little colored balls that pop around; the carbine doesn't have the same sharp sound that implies dangerousness; and the sword doesn't have the same beautiful humming that makes it feel alive. The vehicles also sounded like muffled, generic vehicle sounds. The warthog sounds like an electric scooter; definitely not something that would be blasting over rough terrain. Sounds in the old Halos were great for their time, but you're insane if you think they still hold up compared to current audio fidelity and technological improvements. This type of thinking is like saying you like the graphical textures in old Halo games better than the new ones because they remind you of how great Halo used to be. Sure, you can be nostalgic for them, but the new games are head and shoulders above the old games in terms of audio/visual environments.
I though the weapon sound effects in Halo 4 were bad, but somehow they managed to make it worse in Halo 5.

The worst-sounding weapons in Halo 4 were easily the Battle Rifle and Storm Rifle. The Magnum was pretty cringe-worthy too, but not quite as bad IMO. But in Halo 5, the Magnum sounds ridiculous; much like Halo 4 BR, it sounds like a cheap toy. The AR, BR, DMR, and SMG all sound fine (but still inferior to Bungie's Halo games), but the SAW and Railgun definitely sounded better in Halo 4 when they were first introduced. The Sniper Rifle and Rocket Launcher are pretty much the same deal as they were in Halo 4- they sounded better in Halo: Reach and every Halo game that came before that. I don't know why they ever tossed out the classic weapon sounds to begin with, but it was a bad idea. Can anyone honestly say they prefer the 343i-era sounds for the Sniper Rifle compared to the Bungie-era Sniper Rifle? 343i's version doesn't have that nice *crack* to it when you pull the trigger.

The Promethean weapons are the worst. The Light Rifle had a very unique firing sound in Halo 4; it suited the weapon well. But in Halo 5, they changed to cliché pew-pew sound like the Alien Blaster in Fallout 3- now that suits the Alien Blaster just fine- but it does not suit the Light Rifle.

The Boltshot I don't know what to make of... but the Suppressor? Again, they ruined the firing sound for this gun. Like the Light Rifle, it had a very unique and intimidating firing sound in Halo 4, and now it just makes this sort of clicking noise when it fires in Halo 5. No longer does it sound like a powerful hard-light submachine gun... it sounds like the toy Uzi we saw that kid using in Predator 2."Want some candy?"

I really wish 343i would just stop changing things just for the heck of it. Why they ever felt that they need to create new sound effects for the weapons and vehicles when they already had the full suite of awesome sounds that Bungie recorded... I just don't get it. Same goes for weapon and vehicle models- the 343i-era Battle Rifle looks like junk compared to the Bungie-era version. Same goes for the Shotgun, the turrets, the Warthog, the Scorpion... the Halo 5 Ghost and Wraith look like trash, and then there's the Pelican- the Pelican design in Halo: Reach (which is also the design used in Halo: CE Anniversary and Halo 2: Anniversary) was just so cool and sleek and made me want to fly it more than ever before. But then comes the Halo 4 Pelican, which is just so fat and ugly- and of course the Halo 4 version also had those ridiculous turrets stuck on the side like they were an afterthought- and I just do not get why they had to take such a cool-looking vehicle and completely change the way it looked.
YES!!!!! And what about the shield sound in 4???? It sounded PHYSICAL... These are ENERGY shields. Make them sound like it!!!!! I forgot what it was like in 5 but still.

Also those little chirping sounds and stuff that clutter the gameplay, you can't get away from them! There is a one for boost cool down, ADS, and so many more things it's ridiculous. Just stop adding things that don't need to be there 343, just stop.
I though the weapon sound effects in Halo 4 were bad, but somehow they managed to make it worse in Halo 5.

The worst-sounding weapons in Halo 4 were easily the Battle Rifle and Storm Rifle. The Magnum was pretty cringe-worthy too, but not quite as bad IMO. But in Halo 5, the Magnum sounds ridiculous; much like Halo 4 BR, it sounds like a cheap toy. The AR, BR, DMR, and SMG all sound fine (but still inferior to Bungie's Halo games), but the SAW and Railgun definitely sounded better in Halo 4 when they were first introduced. The Sniper Rifle and Rocket Launcher are pretty much the same deal as they were in Halo 4- they sounded better in Halo: Reach and every Halo game that came before that. I don't know why they ever tossed out the classic weapon sounds to begin with, but it was a bad idea. Can anyone honestly say they prefer the 343i-era sounds for the Sniper Rifle compared to the Bungie-era Sniper Rifle? 343i's version doesn't have that nice *crack* to it when you pull the trigger.

The Promethean weapons are the worst. The Light Rifle had a very unique firing sound in Halo 4; it suited the weapon well. But in Halo 5, they changed to cliché pew-pew sound like the Alien Blaster in Fallout 3- now that suits the Alien Blaster just fine- but it does not suit the Light Rifle.

The Boltshot I don't know what to make of... but the Suppressor? Again, they ruined the firing sound for this gun. Like the Light Rifle, it had a very unique and intimidating firing sound in Halo 4, and now it just makes this sort of clicking noise when it fires in Halo 5. No longer does it sound like a powerful hard-light submachine gun... it sounds like the toy Uzi we saw that kid using in Predator 2."Want some candy?"

I really wish 343i would just stop changing things just for the heck of it. Why they ever felt that they need to create new sound effects for the weapons and vehicles when they already had the full suite of awesome sounds that Bungie recorded... I just don't get it. Same goes for weapon and vehicle models- the 343i-era Battle Rifle looks like junk compared to the Bungie-era version. Same goes for the Shotgun, the turrets, the Warthog, the Scorpion... the Halo 5 Ghost and Wraith look like trash, and then there's the Pelican- the Pelican design in Halo: Reach (which is also the design used in Halo: CE Anniversary and Halo 2: Anniversary) was just so cool and sleek and made me want to fly it more than ever before. But then comes the Halo 4 Pelican, which is just so fat and ugly- and of course the Halo 4 version also had those ridiculous turrets stuck on the side like they were an afterthought- and I just do not get why they had to take such a cool-looking vehicle and completely change the way it looked.
I know what you mean the sound of pistol makes in Halo 5 I swear to god the developers took the sound from a popcorn maker and decided that is the sound of a Magnum pistol Jesus..
If anything fix the sound the BR makes... please
Private Mendoza: "Why do we always have to listen to this old stuff, Sarge?"

Staff Sergeant Johnson: "Watch your mouth, son. This "stuff" is your history. It should remind you grunts what we're fightin' to protect!"

Private Mendoza: "Hey, if the Covenant want to wipe out this particular part of my history, that's fine by me."

Private Bisenti: "Yeah, better it than us."

— Conversation between fans of classic halo style and Modern Halo style fans.

This conversation always comes to mind when i see exchanges like this.
Private Mendoza: "Why do we always have to listen to this old stuff, Sarge?"

Staff Sergeant Johnson: "Watch your mouth, son. This "stuff" is your history. It should remind you grunts what we're fightin' to protect!"

Private Mendoza: "Hey, if the Covenant want to wipe out this particular part of my history, that's fine by me."

Private Bisenti: "Yeah, better it than us."

— Conversation between fans of classic halo style and Modern Halo style fans.

This conversation always comes to mind when i see exchanges like this.
Please don't revive old topics thanks
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 22
  4. 23
  5. ...
  6. 24