Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] Halo 5's weapon sounds are terrible.

OP Aurik Kal Durin

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 24
Brah the pistol sounds realistic. And I always hated the sniper sounds from the first three Halos. In no way did it sound like a massive amount of gunpowder propelling a huge bullet.
The Magnum was pretty cringe-worthy too
Stopped reading there. A sound is cringe-worthy? Go back to reddit
Halo 3's AR popcorn maker? No thank you.

The difference between Bungie's and 343's weapon sounds is that 343 records real firearms.
Totally agree with you, Halo 3 had the WORST weapon sounds out of all halos, many of them sound like paper toy guns... not to mention the awful hit detection (only halo game that uses projectile instead of hitscan detection). Can't believe there are so many threads about going back to the halo 3 days, it's such an AWFUL game when compared to Halo 5. No sprint, really? BTB plays painfully slow without it, it has not aged well if you were to go back and play MCC.

In short, keep sprint, keep the guns sounding powerful, and keep cranking out the playlists that we want (e.g. dominion, extraction, infection, heavies, husky raid, etc.)
BeneficBen wrote:
I think the DMR sounds best in Halo 4 and 5. The sound for Reach wasn't bad, but I like that, in Halo 4/5 it kind of sounds like a big dog barking, especially if you fire it fast.

I think the AR sound in Halo 5 is OK, but I like halo 3's best.
How can you like the sound of the pea shooter?
I'm more concerned about what the weapons DO rather than how it sounds......and that's where my biggest gripe of the sound comes in, with the H5 BR. 3 shot burst, weapon sounds like it fires two rounds. Huh? The sound itself is fine, HOWEVER, I have to agree somewhat with OP's thing of not messing with a good thing, why change some of the sounds that have pretty much been the same (AR and Magnums being the big exceptions) through the first 5 games (H1-3, ODST, Reach) and are to a lot of players considered classic, a la all the soundz from Star Wars not really changing after 30 years? I mean, I have no issues really with the new sounds of the weapons, and I know that part of the allure of these mythic and legendary REQs of the CE Pistol, H2 BR, yada yada is the classic-ness of it, and obviously 343i knows this, they're just making it available in the most -Yoinked!- up way possible within Warzone (I know they're map pickups in non-WZ gametypes but let's just be realistic it's still kinda screwy)

I guess long story short, I'm on the fence. Either way, it's not affecting my gameplay or immersion in the mythos within Halo, and the campaign itself is largely at fault for that, not the sound FX.

And to all those criticizing the pew-pew-pew sounds of the weapons in the game, just listen to the plasma rifles again and tell me that Bungie wasn't blatantly doing that in the first place. Energy weapons in general just do that. lulz.
I think the Promethean ones are the only real problems, they sound terrible. I've also hated the Hammer sound since Halo 4, it sounds like -Yoinking!- hydraulics. The Halo 4 Magnum, though, was faaaaar worse than Halo 5. I legit do not even have any sound to compare the Halo 4 Magnum to, it was just so weird...
Honestly I do like the Halo 5 weapon sounds, I did like past Halo's weapon sounds better, but that doesn't take away from the current ones we have now, also let us not forget the typewriter sounds for the AR in Halo 3.
Brah the pistol sounds realistic. And I always hated the sniper sounds from the first three Halos. In no way did it sound like a massive amount of gunpowder propelling a huge bullet.
Do you mean it sounds realistic as in if the Halo Magnum were a real pistol it would sound that way? Because not a single gun in this game sounds realistic. Again, if you have ever fired a rifle in real life or a pistol for that matter, after the crack there is an echo, and a loud one at that. Halo's sounds are weak for rifles... they are embarrassing for grenades.
I think Halo 5's weapon sounds are great, but let's be honest here, Halo 2 Anniversary is where it's at. I mean, the sniper sounds like an AA Cannon, and the Assault Rifle sounds like it can do some damage (it actually can).
Complaining about the audio in Halo 5 is like complaining about cheese in Pizza.

This topic title is amazing. Terrible he says. Lol
And it's 100% possible for cheese pizza to have crappy cheese on it.
Do not make nonconstructive posts.

Spoiler:
Show
Do you mean it sounds realistic as in if the Halo Magnum were a real pistol it would sound that way? Because not a single gun in this game sounds realistic. Again, if you have ever fired a rifle in real life or a pistol for that matter, after the crack there is an echo, and a loud one at that. Halo's sounds are weak for rifles... they are embarrassing for grenades.
I've shot plenty of guns in real life. And I'm sorry, but not a single game can replicate that crack you speak of. Not Halo 3, not CoD, not Rainbow Six, not even Halo 5. Keeping that in mind, the magnum actually sounds like a small(er) caliber round going off. Also remember that a certain amount of audio compression is required to fit it all on the disc.

What I'm saying is that unless we get games that are 200 GB and everyone has primo speakers, no video game guns will sound 100% realistic. However, Halo 5 does fine enough. Halo 3 and 2 sounds were...very "special", kinda like those cheap bottles of cognac claim.

The difference between Bungie's and 343's weapon sounds is that 343 records real firearms.
Oh my gosh. I almost forgot about this.
I've shot plenty of guns in real life. And I'm sorry, but not a single game can replicate that crack you speak of. Not Halo 3, not CoD, not Rainbow Six, not even Halo 5. Keeping that in mind, the magnum actually sounds like a small(er) caliber round going off. Also remember that a certain amount of audio compression is required to fit it all on the disc.

What I'm saying is that unless we get games that are 200 GB and everyone has primo speakers, no video game guns will sound 100% realistic. However, Halo 5 does fine enough. Halo 3 and 2 sounds were...very "special", kinda like those cheap bottles of cognac claim.
IMO BO3 has it down pretty well. Not only do you hear the crack with decent headphones/speakers, you also hear the long echo for a few seconds if no one else is firing around you, and it sounds very real. The sounds are much deeper in CoD not only with when firing rounds but with the explosions as well. While I think Halo has great gameplay, the art is very weak and the sound effects sound cheap and flat compared to other FPS.

edit: BTW by the time Halo is done with all it's updates it may be pretty damn close to 200gb lol
Gun sounds in game are from real firearms, does that mean they sound bad? Actually a nice AR15 and a decent muzzle break its sex to my ears :D

Halo: Reach's Assault Rifle sounded really good. All the weapon sounds in Reach were good.
The DMR is the only weapon sound that I like. At least it sounds like it has some kahunas!! ;-)
Whats the point of this thread? Shouldn't it be under halo 4 threads?

IMO BO3 has it down pretty well. Not only do you hear the crack with decent headphones/speakers, you also hear the long echo for a few seconds if no one else is firing around you, and it sounds very real. The sounds are much deeper in CoD not only with when firing rounds but with the explosions as well. While I think Halo has great gameplay, the art is very weak and the sound effects sound cheap and flat compared to other FPS.

edit: BTW by the time Halo is done with all it's updates it may be pretty damn close to 200gb lol
Can't actually say I've played BO3. Maybe I ought to, just for the sound.
At least it sounds like it has some kahunas!! ;-)
I do not think that means what you think it means!

The word you are looking for is cojones. One is Spanish and means courage or balls, the other is Hawaiian and means either a person of importance or cooked in a pot.

I don't like doing this but my aim is to educate rather than poke fun.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 24