Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Halo 5 Sangheili

OP nick027nd

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
In Halo 5, do you think the Arbiter and the rest of the Swords of Sangheilios are going to look like the Halo 4 styled Sangheili (like Jul) or how they did in the Halo 2 Anniversary cutscene (the one with Locke)? I know the Halo 2 cutscene used models from Halo 2 such as the Sangheili and Battle Rifle, but do you think they'd keep the Arbiter and his followers as they were? I really hope they do, but it would also be cool to see Jul as he was in Halo 4, (have both the regular and storm elites in Halo 5) despite how ugly the storm elites looked.
I want them to look like they did in the Anniversary cutscene.
iPizzeria wrote:
This
iPizzeria wrote:
I second that thought. So long as they fix those hideous looking feet they had.
They will probably look like how they did in the Halo 2 Anniversary cutscene to differentiate the two Sangeheli types. The ones we are killing will probably look like the disgusting Halo 4 Elites and Arbiter's Elites should look like Halo 2 / 3's Elites.
As 343i is obsessed with having EVERYTHING have a lore explanation, then the Swords of Sanghelios will have a classic look, and the Storm Covenant will have the "new" look.

But it's crazy- 343i makes EVERYTHING into the lore, even when the change or remove stuff. The Halo 2 Anniversary campaign was the Arbiter remembering how he met Chief (based on prologue and what he says then stares off in the distance. The game starts from the Arbiter's perspective).
As 343i is obsessed with having EVERYTHING have a lore explanation, then the Swords of Sanghelios will have a classic look, and the Storm Covenant will have the "new" look.

But it's crazy- 343i makes EVERYTHING into the lore, even when the change or remove stuff. The Halo 2 Anniversary campaign was the Arbiter remembering how he met Chief (based on prologue and what he says then stares off in the distance. The game starts from the Arbiter's perspective).
Is that necessarily a bad thing? If they were going to do something anyway, might as well have an in-universe explanation.
iPizzeria wrote:
They will have to go to the podiatry for that to happen.

The Sangheili that follow Thel will look similar to the ones that appear in the cutscene, while Jul's follower will look similar to the H4 Elites
They would make them look like Halo 2 Anniversary whilst keeping the covenant remnant the same as Halo 4's to keep you from shooting your allies... Hopefully
Shurifire wrote:

Is that necessarily a bad thing? If they were going to do something anyway, might as well have an in-universe explanation.
He was referring to it as good
I hope they look like the elite on the cover of Hunters in the Dark
Shurifire wrote:

THAT IS WHY I LOVE HALO!!!
nick027nd wrote:
In Halo 5, do you think the Arbiter and the rest of the Swords of Sangheilios are going to look like the Halo 4 styled Sangheili (like Jul) or how they did in the Halo 2 Anniversary cutscene (the one with Locke)? I know the Halo 2 cutscene used models from Halo 2 such as the Sangheili and Battle Rifle, but do you think they'd keep the Arbiter and his followers as they were? I really hope they do, but it would also be cool to see Jul as he was in Halo 4, (have both the regular and storm elites in Halo 5) despite how ugly the storm elites looked.
*Sigh. I'll pass this to Grim on Twitter for another laugh. When will you people realise that all aliens don't look the same?
It's important to understand that things aren't really black and white in situations like these. There are times (many times) where visual differences have canon explanations built into them to enrich the universe overall. The different variations of Sangheili are one such example. The way that you see them depicted in H2A, H3, Reach, HW, H4, etc are all representations of how an elite can look in the universe. There will be times however, when limitations dictate the need to be more efficient with the use of assets, and something you see in a game might not necessarily represent the definitive canonical look for that thing/species/character etc 100%.

It makes for a much more relaxing and fulfilling overall experience if one is able to relax the rigid constraints we sometimes try to fit everything into. And trust me, no one is more conscious or concerned with creating and codifying "definitive" understandings of all the various elements in the Halo universe more than me lol. ;-) It is a balancing act though. It's a case by case basis. While in a perfect world, it would be awesome to have every character represented individually, and have all phenotypes of a species represented within a single game, the reality is that there is a hidden - but very real - "cost" to doing so. Hopefully fans are able to take in and appreciate the richness of the Universe both because of, and in spite of, times where something might not "look just right."

/soapbox

<3
Grim
It's important to understand that things aren't really black and white in situations like these. There are times (many times) where visual differences have canon explanations built into them to enrich the universe overall. The different variations of Sangheili are one such example. The way that you see them depicted in H2A, H3, Reach, HW, H4, etc are all representations of how an elite can look in the universe. There will be times however, when limitations dictate the need to be more efficient with the use of assets, and something you see in a game might not necessarily represent the definitive canonical look for that thing/species/character etc 100%.

It makes for a much more relaxing and fulfilling overall experience if one is able to relax the rigid constraints we sometimes try to fit everything into. And trust me, no one is more conscious or concerned with creating and codifying "definitive" understandings of all the various elements in the Halo universe more than me lol. ;-) It is a balancing act though. It's a case by case basis. While in a perfect world, it would be awesome to have every character represented individually, and have all phenotypes of a species represented within a single game, the reality is that there is a hidden - but very real - "cost" to doing so. Hopefully fans are able to take in and appreciate the richness of the Universe both because of, and in spite of, times where something might not "look just right."

/soapbox

<3
Grim
Attaboy, Grim! We needed that, hopefully that'll make some people around here finally get that there are always going to be changes whether due to in-canon explanation or simple artistic license.

/soapbox

<3
Grim
I can understand that but, I don't mind how the elites look but I would like at least Thel to look like he usually does because if you change that it is similar to making lord Hood black. I am pretty sure there will be a way to differentiate between the "good" elites and the "bad" elites. I just hope specific characters like Thel, Rtas(if he is in the game) look like they normally do, even Jul, I don't want him to look like the older elites because we now he looks different.

/soapbox

<3
Grim
Thank you for the response!

/soapbox

<3
Grim
I can understand that but, I don't mind how the elites look but I would like at least Thel to look like he usually does because if you change that it is similar to making lord Hood black. I am pretty sure there will be a way to differentiate between the "good" elites and the "bad" elites. I just hope specific characters like Thel, Rtas(if he is in the game) look like they normally do, even Jul, I don't want him to look like the older elites because we now he looks different.
And I agree with this.

/soapbox

<3
Grim
Is that the explanation for the Halo 4 prologue/opening cinematic using post-war Elites and post-war Spartan armor, despite being set during the human-covenant war?

Makes sense, it would save time and resources to use the Halo 4 models and designs (wich are post-war designs lore wise) rather than remake the models to fit the human-covenant war designs.

All is good, just wish there could be more clarification and explanations.
iPizzeria wrote:
They had hooves, which actually changed their leg layout from having an elongated heel to... well hooves. They looked amazing in the cutscenes (Arbiter was sexy) but them having hooves made their walk a little funky.

/soapbox

<3
Grim
Why not have DLC's? *Hides from the haters* Hear me out on this. Sure it's a bit of a running joke on other Sangheili forum posts that they'll be added as DLC. But To be able to get that desired diversity, which I would very much like and if I'm reading correctly so does Grim. To me... the only way to get that actual diversity into a game, assuming the MP of Halo 5 survives longer then what I heard Halo 4 lasted, then why not slowly add that customization and ability to have in multiplayer or in the campaign have that bit of diversity. Sure Halo 4 Sangheili aren't the prettiest to look at but since joining Waypoint and hearing Grim and other's posts about the phenotypes. They've warmed on me. Maybe I'm just hoping for more then the Xbox One or the programmers can accomplish. However I see it as you get the main game out clean and flawless as you can but keeping the community updated with what you plan to implement in the coming months. I'd love to have the ability to pick different era/game looks of sangheili and mix and match armor. Maybe it's a bit to much but I can dream.

However even as I dream, being on Waypoint and especially Grim has been active in the community and soothed my fears about 343i not caring about the Sangheili community. However Going after Programming in the video game industry myself I've come to realize that sometimes we can't do all that we want. Either the machine cant take it, don't have enough money, or deadline (I'm looking at you Microsoft with MCC). So I understand that there is a cost but I see DLC's as getting around that cost and the ability to show the different phenotypes and stay true to lore.

/soapbox

<3
Grim
Is that the explanation for the Halo 4 prologue/opening cinematic using post-war Elites and post-war Spartan armor, despite being set during the human-covenant war?

Makes sense, it would save time and resources to use the Halo 4 models and designs (wich are post-war designs lore wise) rather than remake the models to fit the human-covenant war designs.

All is good, just wish there could be more clarification and explanations.
This is exactly the reason for that.
Source: https://twitter.com/JoshingtonState/status/474224115608731650
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2