Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] Halo 5 spec ops return

OP AlliSnake

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Do you think it would've been fun to see spec ops return to Halo 5 like they were introduced in Halo 4? Spec ops was one of the best end game activities in H4 for me.
No...Spartan ops wasn't that good. I mean I liked the cut scenes of spartan ops in H4 but their "chatter" in game during the missions made me want to rip my ear drums out. To this day I can't stand the word crimson...ugh it's even hard to type. They said that word like every ten seconds it seems on the mission. But Spartan ops was a step down from classic firefight not to mention they led us on like it was going to be some great multi season thing and all we ever got was one season. But in H5, I enjoyed warzone/warzone firefight more so than Spartan ops. I never felt a need to replay Spartan ops once I completed it. Warzone has more replayability.
LethalQ wrote:
No...Spartan ops wasn't that good. I mean I liked the cut scenes of spartan ops in H4 but their "chatter" in game during the missions made me want to rip my ear drums out. To this day I can't stand the word crimson...ugh it's even hard to type. They said that word like every ten seconds it seems on the mission. But Spartan ops was a step down from classic firefight not to mention they led us on like it was going to be some great multi season thing and all we ever got was one season. But in H5, I enjoyed warzone/warzone firefight more so than Spartan ops. I never felt a need to replay Spartan ops once I completed it. Warzone has more replayability.
I can respect and understand your view. I enjoy warzone firefight myself a lot.
AlliSnake wrote:
Do you think it would've been fun to see spec ops return to Halo 5 like they were introduced in Halo 4? Spec ops was one of the best end game activities in H4 for me.
I'd be happy to see more Spartan Ops with two conditions: it doesn't replace firefight, and it doesn't have its story concluded in some obscure comic book or any other form of outside media.
LethalQ wrote:
To this day I can't stand the word crimson...ugh it's even hard to type. They said that word like every ten seconds it seems on the mission.
That's how I feel about "eggheads"
LethalQ wrote:
Spartan Ops was also unbelievably boring imo, it's fun for like 10-15 minutes but the mission design was so repetitive that it's impossible to play for any longer than that. I guess there were some missions that broke up the monotony, like the one where you get the mantis, but they aren't enough to save it. It also doesn't help that Halo 4 has my least favourite PvE combat in the whole series and the maps were either reused from campaign or multiplayer. I feel like the idea of mixing firefight gameplay with the structure of a campaign doesn't work at all.
I enjoyed the idea of Spartan Ops. Continuing the story after the main campaign through the point of view of other characters. I definitely think it could have been executed better, so if something like Spartan Ops were to happen again I hope they’d learn from the first iteration.
LethalQ wrote:
Spartan Ops was also unbelievably boring imo, it's fun for like 10-15 minutes but the mission design was so repetitive that it's impossible to play for any longer than that. I guess there were some missions that broke up the monotony, like the one where you get the mantis, but they aren't enough to save it. It also doesn't help that Halo 4 has my least favourite PvE combat in the whole series and the maps were either reused from campaign or multiplayer. I feel like the idea of mixing firefight gameplay with the structure of a campaign doesn't work at all.
Ikr. In spartan ops theres literally like 7 maps used, but theres 50 missions in total.
fizzy14 wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
Ikr. In spartan ops theres literally like 7 maps used, but theres 50 missions in total.
At least the maps they did use were really well done. That was one of the good things. The absolute best thing though was the red vs blue easter eggs.
LethalQ wrote:
fizzy14 wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
At least the maps they did use were really well done. That was one of the good things. The absolute best thing though was the red vs blue easter eggs.
I agree, I never would have touched Spartan Ops if it weren't for the RvB easter eggs.
Chimera30 wrote:
I enjoyed the idea of Spartan Ops. Continuing the story after the main campaign through the point of view of other characters. I definitely think it could have been executed better, so if something like Spartan apps were to happen again I hope they’d learn from the first iteration.
This.
I really appreciated the continuation of the campaign story. There's a lot of Halo lore that doesn't get included in the campaign stories, but would make the campaign stories a bit better I would think. Halo CE ends in a longsword around a busted halo ring, and Halo 2 begins in earth orbit. What happened in between? Halo 2 ended on a forerunner ship, and Halo 3 begins on earth. Halo 4 ends with the death of Cortana and defeat of the Didact, and Halo 5 begins with a spartan group busting down the door on some guy named M'dama. Who the heck is that? That's explained in the sparton ops campaign. Good to know.
Spartan Ops was ok I mainly just did it cause I like PvE but it was definitely a step down from FF. I can say I enjoyed the additional story and cut scenes.
LethalQ wrote:
The identities of the members of fireteam Crimson we're all classified, it's obvious why. But spartanops was pretty much the same as halo reach in a character perspective. Did you ever get mad or tired when everyone called you Noble 6 or just 6? Noble 6's identity was also classified. It's pretty much the same way for Bungie's Destiny and Destiny 2 with the main character and everyone calling you guardian. I'm pretty sure 343 wanted to do Spartan ops that way because reach was so popular, I believed it sold the most copies in the entire halo franchise. Anyways, I for one enjoyed Spartan ops by being the main character with my own armor, being myself. I of course try to relive it with Warzone firefight but it's just not the same.
NMAurora wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
The identities of the members of fireteam Crimson we're all classified, it's obvious why. But spartanops was pretty much the same as halo reach in a character perspective. Did you ever get mad or tired when everyone called you Noble 6 or just 6? Noble 6's identity was also classified. It's pretty much the same way for Bungie's Destiny and Destiny 2 with the main character and everyone calling you guardian. I'm pretty sure 343 wanted to do Spartan ops that way because reach was so popular, I believed it sold the most copies in the entire halo franchise. Anyways, I for one enjoyed Spartan ops by being the main character with my own armor, being myself. I of course try to relive it with Warzone firefight but it's just not the same.
Just because they are classified doesn't mean you have to repeat the same word like a thousand times a mission.
LethalQ wrote:
NMAurora wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
Just because they are classified doesn't mean you have to repeat the same word like a thousand times a mission.
I don't see how that changes anything
NMAurora wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
NMAurora wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
Because it would be less annoying. The script was just terrible to listen too
I loved the idea of spartan ops but that’s it. They executed it so poorly it was laughable. Seeing the continuation of the story through other perspective was amazing but that was it.
I think Spartan Ops would've been better if it was executed more like the campaign: the enemies aren't so numerous and overwhelming, but everyone dying reverts to a checkpoint so you actually have to play smart. The way it was designed was that it was overwhelmingly hard to not die, but impossible to fail because you could keep throwing yourself at enemies until they're all gone. There wasn't really depth to it.
LethalQ wrote:
Crimson, do literally everything. You got that, Crimson? Kill them all, Crimson. Move up, Crimson. You did good, Crimson. Come on home, Crimson.

Couple that with Palmer treating everyone like garbage bar the Spartans, and the game got very annoying, very quickly.

Back to the OP: If Spartan Ops was executed better (as in not reusing multiplayer maps and having the same basic objective for every. single. map), then it would be awesome. They'd also need to remove the awful $60 paywall that they erected with the original Spartan Ops. I was so mad when I got through the 8-hour campaign of Halo 4 only for 343 to tell me to spend more money to get the full story. I was honestly worried I'd never be capable of getting the full story (who's Jul Mudama? Why did Halsey lose an arm? Why is Halsey hanging out with Elites? Whatever happened to Reqium? All questions that were answered in Spartan Ops) before Halo 5.
LethalQ wrote:
NMAurora wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
NMAurora wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
Because it would be less annoying. The script was just terrible to listen too
I was referring to the difference between people calling you Noble 6 or 6, or guardian and Crimson
LethalQ wrote:
fizzy14 wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
Yeah there needs to be more of them xD
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2