Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Halo 5: Warzone Free2Play Crossplay (Xb, PC, PS?)

OP FW SLY

Hey Everyone,
Just something I’m thinking about for more than a year now I wanted to talk about.
I was thinking about a way to make Halo more popular, especially in regions where the name is known, but a lot of players never touched it. Clearly not North America then, but anywhere where Xbox is a clear outsider. I know Halo Online was an attempt to do this in Russia for example, but really it could be anywhere else. I personally live between Ireland and France, and here Halo is just for Xbox fanboys… many players (hardcore or not) have never touched it.
I was thinking that Halo 5: Warzone was already designed like a stand alone and that it was also ready for a F2P model with its micro transaction system. Having it on other platforms (I’m clearly thinking about PS and PC) could do a lot a good to the license:
  • Lot of Players need to understand what makes the H5 gameplay that good. Halo is not only a famous license…
  • F2P model would help taping into Fortnite/APEX population especially on the main competitive platform
  • Warzone MOBA inspired mechanics were innovative and fun, it would find more fans on other platforms, whether they like Halo or not
  • That would bring back the attention to Halo 5 which has an amazing multiplayer. Seeing those servers busy again would be good for the community, the license, 343… etc…
  • Warzone could lead them to more Halo games available on Xbox or PC
  • Xbox is not losing an exclusivity since it would be only the Warzone mode, which already has its time as an Xbox exclusivity
  • Crossplay is now a thing, even with Sony, and MS has a huge advantage here with its ecosystem, they have to leverage it
  • Across the globe, Halo fans have friends on other platforms, and they would love to initiate them to their dream game
  • While a full Halo 5: Guardian release will make sense on PC (not talking about PS here), having a F2P client for Warzone only would bring another category of gamers. Obviously Xbox would need a F2P release as well for people who doesn't have GP or doesn't want to buy the full game.
I’m forgetting some other positive bold points here, but I think the idea is there. While I’m aware this won’t be considered seriously, what would you think about that idea?
Cheers.
FW SLY
Halo 5 development is dead, probably have better luck suggesting it in the infinite forums.
Yeah makes sense. But I guess it should resume since PC community will highly expect an H5 PC release at some point right?
FW SLY wrote:
Yeah makes sense. But I guess it should resume since PC community will highly expect an H5 PC release at some point right?
With the big focus on backwards compatibility for the xbox brand, I think this is definitely possible. Microsoft is all about bringing their games everywhere they can going forward, and I bet they want all the Halo's available on PC, just as much as they wanted all the Halo's available on one generation of consoles with The MCC.

I wouldn't be surprised if H5 came to PC, but I don't honestly expect it for 2 ish years.

I play on Xbox, so it doesn't really effect me, but I would be happy more people could enjoy my favorite franchise.
FW SLY wrote:
With the big focus on backwards compatibility for the xbox brand, I think this is definitely possible. Microsoft is all about bringing their games everywhere they can going forward, and I bet they want all the Halo's available on PC, just as much as they wanted all the Halo's available on one generation of consoles with The MCC.

I wouldn't be surprised if H5 came to PC, but I don't honestly expect it for 2 ish years.

I play on Xbox, so it doesn't really effect me, but I would be happy more people could enjoy my favorite franchise.
I'd love to see Halo 5 get more exposure, but there's next to no chance of it coming out on PC (even less on PS). The MCC is getting ported over since it includes what most people would consider "classic Halo" (sans Halo: Reach and Halo 4), and thus MS can retialize their investment with the hype MCC PC is building up towards Halo: Infinite.

A standalone Halo 5: WZ would require a fair bit of work and I doubt it will pay off as an investment. WZ is already an acquired taste of sorts for the Halo community, and I doubt it would set the PC community on fire.

A full Halo 5: Guardians for PC would probably get a bit of traction, but not enough to warrant the time and money spent on developing it.