Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Halo is doomed and it is all your fault...

OP Roams Alone

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 6
  4. 7
  5. 8
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. ...
  9. 28
Rugged1269 wrote:
Purchasing packs for warzone items isn't game breaking?
No, because no matter how many you have, you can only use a few per match. Even if they are rare, they don't last very long. In addition, skill comes into play as well. For example, a noobie with all the legendary gear won't beat somebody using Common REQs. If the noobie can beat anyone because of those REQs, then it'll be game breaking.
We get it, you don't like REQ packs. They have been a huge success, whether you like it or not. REQ packs have pulled in, to my knowledge, 2 million dollars, probably double that now.

REQ packs will never alter the competitive side of Halo. 343 did it right, in my opinion.

They will be in Halo 6.
Sorry my friend but no they havent. Any AAA game where you can buy skill will only last with die hards. Some arena games seem to do it right,;~}
I like REQs. You don't have to buy them. Non-essential IAP is the trend that separates bankrupt studios from booming ones.

He who is resistant to change is destined to perish.
That's just your opinion. Let people buy REQ packs with their money if they want to. 343 is not forcing you to buy them so you should just get over it.
Irobot500 wrote:
OP is exactly right. At least a few people out there can see reason. But this thread will be filled with scum saying "it's my (mom's) money, I'll ruin future Halo games if I want to!"
A bit one-sided and filled with assumption, don't you think? Because you and OP agree, does that mean that the rest of us don't see reason? Also, you're assuming that all us "scum" are kids who are ruining halo games. You need to get off your high horse. I don't care if you were here since ce, that doesn't make you any better than the rest of us.
This is gonna sound bold but yea, I do think people who don't buy REQs are "better" than people who do. The more succesful the REQ system is, the more content will be locked behind microtransactions in future halo games. Obviously I'm assuming, anything regarding the future is an assumsion. People who say the REQ system won't ruin future halos is assuming.
Sure I won't buy some req packs here and there anymore, I'll just add those packs to my 2 years of grinding I still have to do ;)
Sincerely,
Someone that has been grinding since the damn launch
We get it, you don't like REQ packs. They have been a huge success, whether you like it or not. REQ packs have pulled in, to my knowledge, 2 million dollars, probably double that now.

REQ packs will never alter the competitive side of Halo. 343 did it right, in my opinion.

They will be in Halo 6.
Sorry my friend but no they havent. Any AAA game where you can buy skill will only last with die hards. Some arena games seem to do it right,;~}
Buy skill? Give me one example in Halo 5's Arena where "buying skill" is possible? And you're right, some arena games do it right, especially Halo 5.

Also, I've bought zero REQ packs for warzone and still hold my own.

They will be in Halo 6.
Sorry my friend but no they havent. Any AAA game where you can buy skill will only last with die hards. Some arena games seem to do it right,;~}Blasting everything with a power req takes no skill and the team using the biggest reqs usually win. Wondering how you could say they havvent altered the compition? Buy reqs, so you can get kills and wins is very short term thinking even for gaming. Halo has lasted because of skill, now thats gone, I see it already my friend, sad really to see Halo become a no skill big gun circus,;~}
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
There are people that think the REQ system was implemented well? Strange world.
Yeah, it's an opinion.
And personally, the reqs and warzone are what are keeping me glued to Halo 5 since launch. It might not apply to you or for everyone, but it does for me and others.
I think that's where those opinions come from. Those people like Warzone and opening packs, so they don't think about how the system is implemented, they just think their enjoyment translates to good implementation.

It's not good for the system to put both cosmetics and weapons/vehicles in the same packs. If you only play Arena, you don't give a -Yoink- about that banshee you got, you just wanted more armor. For those that play Warzone, if you want to use a certain weapon or vehicle, why do you need to hope you're lucky enough to get it? You wanna use the rare *insert cool variation of sniper here* well, you better hope you're lucky enough to get it and then hope you're good enough to not die before killing someone with it. It's also not good for every REQ DLC to be thrown in with the rest of them either. Trying to get certain piece of armor? Well guess what, this DLC just made your chances of getting it go down.

This system is designed to get you to spend money on it by trying to not only keep you from getting what you want for a longer period of time, but possibly giving you things that you may not even have any use for. The REQ system is actually a huge offender when it comes to microtransactions because it's both RNG (which isn't bad by itself) and directly tied to gameplay.

The system would be miles better if packs were seperated by category (one for cosmetic and one for weapons/vehicles and maybe even temporary packs for each time there's DLC) and if no weapons and vehicles weren't burned after one use, but perhaps after a limited number of uses (cooldowns could still be applied though). Those suggestions would go a long way to keeping the REQ from being as big of a money grab as it is.
I took the time to see where you elaborated. I agree with the packs being specific to what you enjoy playing. I guess where I disagree with the fuss in this thread is the fact that I have not purchased one REQ pack yet, but still love the game. I have 5+ days logged in arena and the thought has never crossed my mind to purchase a REQ. Okay, once actually.. the HCS pack, which I wish I would have grabbed looking back.
Meh, I don't really care.
req packs are good for our hunger for reqs tho..
....those that buy req packs.
Don't buy any req packs if you care about Halo and it's future.
Please pay attention as this is important, micro-transactions in AAA games are wrong full stop (period). Stop buying them!
So we have already had the limited time available vehicle req packs that were paid only! Limted time only to gauge the market and maximise the income, it's wrong.
At least the Halo Championship req pack could be earned by play or pay (even though for most that was a lot of play in a very short period). Again to ensure a lot of people would just buy it and wouldn't have the time to save up for it by normal play.
While micro-transactions in AAA games are a cancer, if you can earn items by normal play as well that's acceptable as you can avoid them. However, if others don't play and actually pay instead, they are ruining gaming for rest of us.
Now the more perceptive of you may very well be worried what 343 will be bringing next. Wouldn't take a genius to establish that exclusive items available in paid only req packs will be coming. Such as exclusive weapons/vehicles for Warzone armour sets and gun skins only attainable by paying for them.
Those that think the profits from req bundles go towards the development of "free content" for Halo 5 or the prize fund for Halo Championships are just kidding themselves.
The "free content" was already developed and has been cut from the base game and then added in instalments. Plus we are expected to be happy about that?
So when Halo 5 and in future Halo 6 etc is full of paid micro transactions for the best and exclusive items you will only have yourselves to blame (those a that buy them).
When the content acquired by these paid only items in-specific game modes goes a long way towards giving you an advantage and that obreaks the game, you will know why.
Please don't buy! Think!
I honestly don't think req packs "ruined" halo but they don't give the same sense of achievement as it was back in earlier games like halo 4.
Sooooo showing Microsoft that Halo is still profitable, ensuring that they make many more Halo games to come is a bad thing. Got it, let them think Halo isn't selling anymore and franchise die.
halo is not doomed there supported by true fans of halo
Time will tell the truth, one truth is we did lose allot of players over a req. That is true my friends.
The limited time req packs that contained limited items were also purchasable with req points. Like the championship pack. The vehicle pack which was limited time had nothing limited in it and if you chose to spend your money on it that was on you. Their was nothing special about that pack. If you bought the championship pack, you helped support the championship series, if you grinned req points just to buy the pack with points you didn't support but you sure grinded your -Yoink- off for some limited armor and an emblem.
No it's not.
I get the feeling that not a lot of people really read the OP.

I love H5, and will usually be the first to defend it, but microtransactions in a $60 are not okay.
Used to be Halo co op was abig thing, now I am not agaist reqs but I am against ones that deminish skill. Also to much luck involving reqs, you do know that it was known reqs are to a form like gambling. not againts it but it needs an over hual my Halo Family,;~}
I'm not necessarily upset about REQ packs because they can be bought with real world money. I'm more upset that the whole progression system in Halo 5 depends on REQ packs. Having a random system as your basis for a progression system is a horrible idea. A random loot system is more often than not disappointing. How many times are you actually happy when you open a REQ pack verses being disappointed or just not caring? Reach had an AWESOME system, and making a hybrid version with Reach being the foundation and adding in Halo 3 (and some elements from Halo 4, like specializations that unlock certain REQs) and Halo 5 elements would make the perfect system. REQ packs would be okay if they weren't the base progression, like if you had the Reach system and could buy REQ packs for a small chance to maybe get something that you wouldn't otherwise be able to afford, or they could just be used for Warzone.

TL;DR Reach had a better system.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 6
  4. 7
  5. 8
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. ...
  9. 28