3. 17
  4. 18
  5. 19
  6. 20
  7. 21
  8. ...
  9. 22
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
I just think it's interesting how you think having less sales in four months than other games had in their lifetimes means it's "lacking". I always enjoy a look into the mind of harith.
It sold the same amount as AW in its launch week, yet has more consoles to sell on. It barely outperformed AW in the consecutive second, third, and fourth weeks, and you call it a success? At least if it paced AW at a significant rate, that'd be fine. But it hasnt even outperformed Ghosts yet, thought to be the worst in the series by far. Furthermore, come June, sales of the series will drop as the next one is announced. Black Ops 3 isnt a game like Modern Warfare 2 or Black Ops 1, where the story was enough to keep people buying the game well after its sequel or the next game in the series is out.

I never said that it has less sales than lifetime sales, and that makes it lacking. I said that launch sales are irrelevant IF it cannot outsell its predecessor on a larger install base. You can paraphrase or change my statement all you want, but you're still wrong. Instead of trying to infer what im saying, maybe you just read it instead.

"Unless it sells more than AW or Ghosts in its lifetime, those launch sales are just hype." And indeed, it is. For all of Black Ops #1s at the chart, it still isnt on pace to outperform Ghosts, and it barely outperforms AW. Yet, 2015 was the best year in a long time in terms of console sales. It is lacking.

You still havent even mentioned the original point of my post, which is that this OP is flat out wrong in his assumption that CoD esque development is going to make Halo suddenly gain a tremendous amount of sales and be the top shooter in AAA games.
So make Halo 6 basicly Halo 3.5 with it being a 1 gun BR game again? Ya no thank you.
So you'd rather have an everyothergame.5, a game that just blends in with the rest. Halo was unique. Hinrstly 343 could've just added in weapon variety and I think that would be fine. Don't need features like clamber, sprint, thrust, or ground pound.
I think the way Halo has developed is good and enjoy it when the awesome new updates are released!
Wolfstein and DOOM were the first FPS's and the basic formula for FPS was set. Move left or right, back or forward, jump, shoot. Then Marathon by Bungie created a new standard with being able to LOOK left, right, UP and DOWN lending more of a 3D feel and new possibilities to strategies and gameplay.

Beyond the basic mechanics of movement and shooting, a lot of what has been added over the years with COD and Halo has more to do with the genre of either the military shooter or the space shooter—new weapons, new "armour", new abilities based on the added tech each has brought. Along comes Destiny and Titanfall and they add new stories and backstory with their "armour" and weapons, abilities based on the world and backstory created.

So,really ever since Marathon introduced true 3-D feel, movement and environments, there has been little innovation in the 'Mechanics" of the FPS other than increasing speed, increasing jumps, and increasing climbing abilities because the underlying movement is limited to the physics of a 3D world - up, down, left and right. Also, FPS is limited to using a projectile or melee (with a weapon or not) to kill.

Again, the basic mechanics are all the same but there have been vast improvements on implementing the mechanics-less glitches, smoother visual movements, better response, etc.

So how can FPS games be better than the competition? How can they truly innovate? That's tough because they seem to be all following the same FPS formula and therefore are limited to that and becoming more similar rather than different.

One thing HALO had was a whole unique backstory, legend, universe. To be successful it must embrace that and work with it and expand it. That's what will set HALO apart from Destiny, COD, etc.

Make HALO better? Hmmm...we all have our opinions on new abilities, armour, weapons, maps, etc. One thing I think the community seems to agree with is that "more" is not the only answer- i.e just more maps, more armour, more colours, more weapons, etc. We desire innovation and creativity in implementing the HALO universe and experience.

Let's look at a potential innovation in movement- remember teleporting? That was great for adding something outside of the normal 3-D movement that you could implement into a strategy for dominating a map.
What about "phasing"- the idea that you could temporarily reduce your "matter density" to be able to pass through solid objects? The penalty on bad timing of this ability would be instant death is stuck in a wall or other solid object. But, it would be cool to run at an enemy, phase through them to come out behind them and assassinate them. Or, sacrifice yourself be phasing and then res-solidifying inside them killing them and you. Or, in a fire fight, phasing for a second to allow bullets to pass through you giving you enough time to either shoot them first or move to a strategic location on a map. Now, this ability would have to be severely limited in time and scope to prevent overuse, but here is an innovative new movement to enhance.

I think—again my opinion, hopefully in part or wholly similar to others—that HALO needs to be HALO and embrace it's universe. Build on the stories and characters and create new solo experiences. For multiplayer, maybe more or larger or bigger is not the best idea for "better". Better could be better implementation of ideas and playability. Make better maps that encourage and facilitate the style of game-play intended- i.e. an arena map that works well for slayer, or CTF or KOTH or others, not just take a Slayer map and put CTF in it. Think about BTB or WZ and their goals and make maps more appropriate for the gameplay. Make matchmaking, servers, fair gameplay BETTER, not bigger, larger, etc.- just make the IMPLEMENTATION and PLAYABILITY BETTER.

343i- to make HALO better, just do things BETTER, sure add variety and new items, but stay true to the HALO world and focus on doing BETTER at implementation and playability than COD or Destiny, DOOM etc. and you will have the thanks and loyalty of the HALO community. Again, my opinion.
This Is Halo NOT Call Of Duty.
GRATZMAN67 wrote:
Wolfstein and DOOM were the first FPS's and the basic formula for FPS was set. Move left or right, back or forward, jump, shoot. Then Marathon by Bungie created a new standard with being able to LOOK left, right, UP and DOWN lending more of a 3D feel and new possibilities to strategies and gameplay.

Beyond the basic mechanics of movement and shooting, a lot of what has been added over the years with COD and Halo has more to do with the genre of either the military shooter or the space shooter—new weapons, new "armour", new abilities based on the added tech each has brought. Along comes Destiny and Titanfall and they add new stories and backstory with their "armour" and weapons, abilities based on the world and backstory created.

So,really ever since Marathon introduced true 3-D feel, movement and environments, there has been little innovation in the 'Mechanics" of the FPS other than increasing speed, increasing jumps, and increasing climbing abilities because the underlying movement is limited to the physics of a 3D world - up, down, left and right. Also, FPS is limited to using a projectile or melee (with a weapon or not) to kill.

Again, the basic mechanics are all the same but there have been vast improvements on implementing the mechanics-less glitches, smoother visual movements, better response, etc.

So how can FPS games be better than the competition? How can they truly innovate? That's tough because they seem to be all following the same FPS formula and therefore are limited to that and becoming more similar rather than different.

One thing HALO had was a whole unique backstory, legend, universe. To be successful it must embrace that and work with it and expand it. That's what will set HALO apart from Destiny, COD, etc.

Make HALO better? Hmmm...we all have our opinions on new abilities, armour, weapons, maps, etc. One thing I think the community seems to agree with is that "more" is not the only answer- i.e just more maps, more armour, more colours, more weapons, etc. We desire innovation and creativity in implementing the HALO universe and experience.

Let's look at a potential innovation in movement- remember teleporting? That was great for adding something outside of the normal 3-D movement that you could implement into a strategy for dominating a map.
What about "phasing"- the idea that you could temporarily reduce your "matter density" to be able to pass through solid objects? The penalty on bad timing of this ability would be instant death is stuck in a wall or other solid object. But, it would be cool to run at an enemy, phase through them to come out behind them and assassinate them. Or, sacrifice yourself be phasing and then res-solidifying inside them killing them and you. Or, in a fire fight, phasing for a second to allow bullets to pass through you giving you enough time to either shoot them first or move to a strategic location on a map. Now, this ability would have to be severely limited in time and scope to prevent overuse, but here is an innovative new movement to enhance.

I think—again my opinion, hopefully in part or wholly similar to others—that HALO needs to be HALO and embrace it's universe. Build on the stories and characters and create new solo experiences. For multiplayer, maybe more or larger or bigger is not the best idea for "better". Better could be better implementation of ideas and playability. Make better maps that encourage and facilitate the style of game-play intended- i.e. an arena map that works well for slayer, or CTF or KOTH or others, not just take a Slayer map and put CTF in it. Think about BTB or WZ and their goals and make maps more appropriate for the gameplay. Make matchmaking, servers, fair gameplay BETTER, not bigger, larger, etc.- just make the IMPLEMENTATION and PLAYABILITY BETTER.

343i- to make HALO better, just do things BETTER, sure add variety and new items, but stay true to the HALO world and focus on doing BETTER at implementation and playability than COD or Destiny, DOOM etc. and you will have the thanks and loyalty of the HALO community. Again, my opinion.
Just saying, but the ability to phase would break Pauli's Exclusion Principle. However, interesting idea! Maybe a Martian Manhunter or even Flash type phase system, where you can either control your own molecules, or the suit vibrates so fast that solid matter simply passes through it.
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
I just think it's interesting how you think having less sales in four months than other games had in their lifetimes means it's "lacking". I always enjoy a look into the mind of harith.
It sold the same amount as AW in its launch week, yet has more consoles to sell on. It barely outperformed AW in the consecutive second, third, and fourth weeks, and you call it a success? At least if it paced AW at a significant rate, that'd be fine. But it hasnt even outperformed Ghosts yet, thought to be the worst in the series by far. Furthermore, come June, sales of the series will drop as the next one is announced. Black Ops 3 isnt a game like Modern Warfare 2 or Black Ops 1, where the story was enough to keep people buying the game well after its sequel or the next game in the series is out.
I never said that it has less sales than lifetime sales, and that makes it lacking. I said that launch sales are irrelevant IF it cannot outsell its predecessor on a larger install base. You can paraphrase or change my statement all you want, but you're still wrong. Instead of trying to infer what im saying, maybe you just read it instead.
"Unless it sells more than AW or Ghosts in its lifetime, those launch sales are just hype." And indeed, it is. For all of Black Ops #1s at the chart, it still isnt on pace to outperform Ghosts, and it barely outperforms AW. Yet, 2015 was the best year in a long time in terms of console sales. It is lacking.
You still havent even mentioned the original point of my post, which is that this OP is flat out wrong in his assumption that CoD esque development is going to make Halo suddenly gain a tremendous amount of sales and be the top shooter in AAA games.
You said, "And yet in comparison to sales of other CoD games, it is very much lacking," and, "Launch sales are irrelevant." So how are you determining it's lacking? As you said, after it's first week it's widening the gap between BO3 and AW (an thinning the gap between BO3 and Ghosts), so what indication is their that it will not continue to do that? It should also be noted that the previous gen versions of BO3 are missing at least half the game, including the Campaign, split screen, theater, and paint shop, so that's gonna put a damper on those last gen sales.
For the bold: I don't know what your original point was because I typically don't bother with your posts other than to poin
t something out. But if that's what you said, then I have no disagreement, because there's almost nothing that would suddenly make Halo the top shooter again. What OP is proposing would help sales and popularity over time, but word would have to spread and Halo likely still wouldn't be able to pull in people who are, for the most part, non-gamers (which is very much of CoD's audience). Of course that's if they were to avoid all the general mistakes that 343 always manages to make.
I think the way Halo has developed is good and enjoy it when the awesome new updates are released!
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
You said, "And yet in comparison to sales of other CoD games, it is very much lacking," and, "Launch sales are irrelevant." So how are you determining it's lacking? As you said, after it's first week it's widening the gap between BO3 and AW (an thinning the gap between BO3 and Ghosts), so what indication is their that it will not continue to do that? It should also be noted that the previous gen versions of BO3 are missing at least half the game, including the Campaign, split screen, theater, and paint shop, so that's gonna put a damper on those last gen sales.
For the bold: I don't know what your original point was because I typically don't bother with your posts other than to poin
t something out. But if that's what you said, then I have no disagreement, because there's almost nothing that would suddenly make Halo the top shooter again. What OP is proposing would help sales and popularity over time, but word would have to spread and Halo likely still wouldn't be able to pull in people who are, for the most part, non-gamers (which is very much of CoD's audience). Of course that's if they were to avoid all the general mistakes that 343 always manages to make.
As I mentioned, BO3 did not outsell AW in its launch week, and is not on track to outsell Ghosts. I am determining it is lacking because A) The console install base has grown, but sales have not, and B) Sales have actually declined. BO3 outsold AW in its second, third, and fourth week by a small percentage. Forbes did a large analysis of this, as the stock price for ATVI is normally judged based on year over year sales and their profit margin. The console install base grew by a large amount last year, but sales of the game actually declined in regards to its predecessor. Thats not lacking to you?

AW outsold it by a large amount in its first week. Then BO3 started the catch up game. Its still isnt on pace to outsell CoD Ghosts, and any game before that is outpacing it enough that it will likely never catch up.
they should change but keep the good stuff in
GRATZMAN67 wrote:

Just saying, but the ability to phase would break Pauli's Exclusion Principle. However, interesting idea! Maybe a Martian Manhunter or even Flash type phase system, where you can either control your own molecules, or the suit vibrates so fast that solid matter simply passes through it.
Ahh yes...but then HOW to implement considering Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle and our limits to being able to predict the precise location AND motion of atomic particles. And don't get me started on Schrödinger's Cat!

Sorry- a bit of a physics geek foray and rant...
there may be an issue of nostalgia getting in the way of innovation.
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
As I mentioned, BO3 did not outsell AW in its launch week, and is not on track to outsell Ghosts. I am determining it is lacking because A) The console install base has grown, but sales have not, and B) Sales have actually declined. BO3 outsold AW in its second, third, and fourth week by a small percentage. Forbes did a large analysis of this, as the stock price for ATVI is normally judged based on year over year sales and their profit margin. The console install base grew by a large amount last year, but sales of the game actually declined in regards to its predecessor. Thats not lacking to you?

AW outsold it by a large amount in its first week. Then BO3 started the catch up game. Its still isnt on pace to outsell CoD Ghosts, and any game before that is outpacing it enough that it will likely never catch up.
The install base grew, but as i said, the people that were restricted to last gen consoles weren't getting a full game. Unlike in the case of Halo 5, the features BO3 is missing on last gen were well advertised. But considering you said launch sales are irrelevant (and I guess in this case they are), they shouldn't matter are much as that second, third or fourth week. If the trend in those weeks continues, it would eventually outsell AW and very likely Ghosts, but we don't know whether or not that trend has continued, so we can't say whether it's lacking either way. For the first four weeks, BO3 sold faster than AW and Ghosts, we just don't know if that continued to be the case.

Ghosts sales: In week one it sold about 8.1 million and by week 4 it sold about 13 million. That's a 4.9 million differences within 3 weeks.
BO3 sales: In week one it sold about 6.2 million and by week 4 it sold about 12.1 million. That's a 5.9 million difference within 3 weeks.

It was already on track to outsell Ghosts and add on top of that anyone that moves to current gen and general news about it's sales and quality (which probably helped it's first month sales) and it's almost definitely gonna happen. We just won't know until next year.
halo 1-3 are my favorite video games of all time. halo 5 is nothing like COD. the new features make halo more halo-like whereas we have more opportunities to escape danger and move about the map giving the smart player and the more skilled players the opportunity to increase the skill gap. all of you haters are noobs halo 5 is great
halo 1-3 are my favorite video games of all time. halo 5 is nothing like COD. the new features make halo more halo-like whereas we have more opportunities to escape danger and move about the map giving the smart player and the more skilled players the opportunity to increase the skill gap. all of you haters are noobs halo 5 is great
Yeah, it's the good players that need more escape tools.
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:

The install base grew, but as i said, the people that were restricted to last gen consoles weren't getting a full game. Unlike in the case of Halo 5, the features BO3 is missing on last gen were well advertised. But considering you said launch sales are irrelevant (and I guess in this case they are), they shouldn't matter are much as that second, third or fourth week. If the trend in those weeks continues, it would eventually outsell AW and very likely Ghosts, but we don't know whether or not that trend has continued, so we can't say whether it's lacking either way. For the first four weeks, BO3 sold faster than AW and Ghosts, we just don't know if that continued to be the case.

Ghosts sales: In week one it sold about 8.1 million and by week 4 it sold about 13 million. That's a 4.9 million differences within 3 weeks.
BO3 sales: In week one it sold about 6.2 million and by week 4 it sold about 12.1 million. That's a 5.9 million difference within 3 weeks.

It was already on track to outsell Ghosts and add on top of that anyone that moves to current gen and general news about it's sales and quality (which probably helped it's first month sales) and it's almost definitely gonna happen. We just won't know until next year.
Are these the VG Chartz numbers?

The sales on previous gen consoles are still a lot, if Gamestop analysis' are to be believed. Its still one of the only newer games to get onto those consoles in quite some time. The rise in current gen sales should still offset the general sales on previous consoles. Its not trending fully, and Forbes did an analysis of this.

What part of Black Ops 3 was advertised more than Halo 5's missing features? The only difference, as far as I can tell, is that an employee at Gamestop specifically mentioned to the persons in front of me in line that Black Ops 3 was multiplayer only when they were purchasing it. But those 4 people didnt care. Again, this may be a company policy or maybe just one really nice employee.
I9n1te wrote:
Halo 5 is unique gameplay wise, and it is best halo game for now
How in the world is Halo 5 unique? That's like saying that Halo 5 innovated; a typical 343 drone soundbite. If you wanna say that implementing sprint, ADS, and all the other gimmicky garb that's been a staple in many other twitch FPSers is what makes Halo unique... well, whatever helps you sleep at night. Nothing 343 has changed with Halo is unique, original or creative. It's all watered-down and uninspired.
I'm not agreeing that its unique, BUT I do enjoy the mechanics they finally added to Halo 5. I appreciate that they finally added (smart link) a "ADS" (its more of pseudo-ADS but I like how they did it based on how Halo used to be basically hipfire only. I like that they FINALLY added sprinting/running, I really enjoy the fast paced mechanics you can use like clambering, evading, Spartan-charge and ground-pound. Things that help modernize Halo that fit with the Halo feel of games.

I mean yes, they could of added more innovative mechanics and features they could of make things like dynamic vehicular combat like rodeo-ing Titans for Titanfall and building where they left off. (cuz lets face it Titanfall was great but it fell off hard). So on and so forth.

In MY OPINION, 343 put Halo going downhill from selfish gameplay style where people advance by being selfish instead of promoting teamwork. Warzone is disappointing on how the gameplay actually works and the scale honestly needs to be bigger. Arena only has some of the gamemodes playable, No unranked Arena, no local multiplayer, no local co-op, no custom game lobby/matchmaking, no forge matchmaking, REQ system Money Sink/time sink just to get anything good, and the campaign is honestly disappointing on scale of map, scale of size, difficulty, and length of campaign ingeneral.

Halo 5 isn't ruined it just needs a lot of TLC to get back to where it should be. Also Bungie did Halo Better. Bungie thought they would ruin Halo if they continued thus they sold it so if they messed up it wouldn't soil their name on Halo.

Point is, MMOFPS will be in CoD's shadow for awhile till something shakes it up. Most games will be like CoD because it makes lots of money and GameDevs and GameCompanies want to make money. Just like no matter how bad most people say WoW is most MMORPGS are dwarfed next to it and lose money because it it no matter how different they are they start to change to be more like the high earners no matter how bad it actually is to do. just got to let the Devs know you don't like where they are going with some things of the game and try to push them on track otherwise nothing will happen. you have to let you voice heard tell them what you want and don't want. Gain a following of people that agree and the larger that following is the more likely Devs are to listen. It's happened before in a lot of games, just keep your voice heard and get others to speak up and things may go far.

GLHF, Do your best.Xythazar
Ramir3z77 wrote:
says the player who is frustrated that the good players can always get away from them and then you chase too hard and get owned.. halo 5 is great so many options to own noobs like yall
Well, given that the remarkable amount of non-constructive unintelligent posting continues. I guess my Hiatus away from Halowaypoint forums will continue. And you can pretend, as you will, that another persons absence from this forum is somehow a strike against 343's Halo.
Ramir3z77 wrote:
says the player who is frustrated that the good players can always get away from them and then you chase too hard and get owned.. halo 5 is great so many options to own noobs like yall
u sure told me m8.

Takes so much skill to flee from a fight when you're getting your -Yoink- handed to you. Clearly someone's ability to press X is far more important than actually being able to aim.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 17
  4. 18
  5. 19
  6. 20
  7. 21
  8. ...
  9. 22