Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] Halo without split screen?

OP SeethingEagle

Hello everyone, so I have another poll for you, and again, it's on a controversial topic for the halo community. Now I know that many were disappointed when 343 announced that there wouldn't be split screen. However I have also heard many say that they enjoy their 60 fps and play with people online anyways. So what's your opinion? ( And please we are all halo fans here, no need to start any aggravated arguments).
anyone who plays on PC couldn't give a -Yoink- about split screen...all these console kids need to accept the split-screen is on its way out....yes its sad but times are changing. #PCMASTERRACE
Couch parties are dying. Split screen is no longer a priority above visual quality and gameplay.
To be honest... 343 was smart not to do split screen. Even though we will all miss it. But, you cant even play the Xbox One offline. If you are online whats the point of split screen, 90% of people these days have there own consoles and are forced to play online anyways. Plus, I have noticed with a lot of Xbox One games split screen really really pushes it to its limits. I don't think the Xbox One would have been able to soak in the great smoothness and beautiful graphics of Halo 5.
Have not played split screen since early Halo 3 days - My son and I went to separate consoles/screens and never looked back.
Not even in the same rooms of the man cave - we mic up all the time.

We enjoyed some couch co-op but the mixing of sounds ruins it more than the split screen
Br4k3d0wN wrote:
Couch parties are dying. Split screen is no longer a priority above visual quality and gameplay.
I still have couch lan parties several times a month BUT everyone that comes over for the parties, brings their own consoles and their own tvs. :)

I honestly cant remember the last time I actually used split screen. Wait....I think the last time I used split screen was Timesplitters on the PS2 over 14 years ago.
Hello everyone, so I have another poll for you, and again, it's on a controversial topic for the halo community. Now I know that many were disappointed when 343 announced that there wouldn't be split screen. However I have also heard many say that they enjoy their 60 fps and play with people online anyways. So what's your opinion? ( And please we are all halo fans here, no need to start any aggravated arguments).
The fact that I can't play with my girlfriend is crappy. We would have to buy a second box, second TV, second Xbox Live membership, and a second copy of the game.

Not a fan that it has been removed..... But - it is what it is. Hopefully it comes out one day.
CSSeason wrote:
anyone who plays on PC couldn't give a -Yoink- about split screen...all these console kids need to accept the split-screen is on its way out....yes its sad but times are changing. #PCMASTERRACE
#GET OFF THE HALO FORUMS
I'm ok without splitscreen.
I'm not sure why anybody would lobby against split screen. if you don't use split screen, you're not going to experience the lower framerate/resolutions one assumes the split screeners will.

Split screen is not what requires a bunch of resources and labor to manifest either. Tapping into dynamic resolution technology systems (because the console can't handle "next gen" visuals is what requires a lot of time, effort, and resources. Yeah, that's on MS, but Halo is made by Microsoft too.

I just don't understand how anybody could say split screen should go when it's literally nothing more than an optional feature that can only benefit the Halo franchise if/when it's present in-game. And IMO, if you think enjoying anything...not just games...anything...with people in the flesh is something of the past...man...that's just sad. Just my opinion though.
I had a hard time just playing through the campaign without split screen and haven't played the game hardly at all because of it. -Yoink- i didn't even want the game after reading about the removal of split screen. My wife bought it for me for our anniversary.
Splitscreen is the only thing about Halo that made me make time for it.
CSSeason wrote:
#GET OFF THE HALO FORUMS
Although I try to be impartial to all opinions whenever I'm OP I agree with Thomas, no one likes people that go around saying how much better their preferred gaming device is. (Especially when it's pcmasterrace crap)
AncNerd wrote:
To be honest... 343 was smart not to do split screen. Even though we will all miss it. But, you cant even play the Xbox One offline. If you are online whats the point of split screen, 90% of people these days have there own consoles and are forced to play online anyways. Plus, I have noticed with a lot of Xbox One games split screen really really pushes it to its limits. I don't think the Xbox One would have been able to soak in the great smoothness and beautiful graphics of Halo 5.
My "No" option wasn't as specific as I would have liked, but what I ment was everyone plays with PEOPLE online instead of at home(this is not necessarily true but simply one of the opinions I have heard).
Halo 5 I bought an xbox one specifically for you. You have always been the only good game that I know of that let us play with 4 people splitscreen offline or online. I thought you understood the importance of couch co-op. If i wanted to play with all my friends in separate places then I wouldn't have bought a console and paid for an xbox live subscription. I wouldn't be surprised if every game in the future makes the same crappy decision because of you guys. Way to go Halo you sold out.
I must say, I love the game. I've only played the multi-player, but it's been fantastic. Much better then the previous release, and I think the developers and everyone involved did a spectacular job.

However my reason for posting is in incredible disappointment for the lack of split screen play. I played previous halo's with my wife, and I intend on playing with my son when he becomes old enough to play the game. And because of the decision to not include this feature, I am unable to do so.

I've played Halo since the beginning, and was very excited for this release (as was my wife). I used to play with my wife, brother, and father (before his death) during half-time on football game parties we'd host at my house. And it was an absolute blast, even though my father was absolutely horrible, but he had fun trying. That's an experience that was taken away by this decision.

I really have enjoyed the Halo games over the years, however I think this may be the last one I purchase if this avenue is continued. I may not have purchased this one had I been aware that was the case from the beginning.

I sincerely hope that this feature is considered as a future patch.
I'm not sure why anybody would lobby against split screen. if you don't use split screen, you're not going to experience the lower framerate/resolutions one assumes the split screeners will.

Split screen is not what requires a bunch of resources and labor to manifest either. Tapping into dynamic resolution technology systems (because the console can't handle "next gen" visuals is what requires a lot of time, effort, and resources. Yeah, that's on MS, but Halo is made by Microsoft too.

I just don't understand how anybody could say split screen should go when it's literally nothing more than an optional feature that can only benefit the Halo franchise if/when it's present in-game. And IMO, if you think enjoying anything...not just games...anything...with people in the flesh is something of the past...man...that's just sad. Just my opinion though.
This guy got it right.