Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Have Tom Salta work with Kazuma on Halo 5's OST

OP Spartan 12124

The best option for Halo 5's OST would be to hire Martin O Donnel, but my guess is that 343i already tried and couldn't. Kazuma is the composer of Halo 5's OST (he's better than Neil Davidge, so I'm glad Kazuma replaced him, no offence Neil), that is good. However I think it would be better like this....

Kazuma's music sounds like Halo, but only when he is composing big and powerful themes. Like epic orchestral scores. 117 for example was the only Halo esque song in Halo 4, so kudos to Kazuma on that. But his less poweful songs (like the Halo 5 menu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPT7rtxDdxM) sounds rather generic, and lacks the Halo vibe (despite sounding good, it doesn't quite sound like Halo).

Tom Salta's music sounds very Halo like, it has the instruments, the vibe everything. Halo 5 NEEDS Tom Salta to help with Halo 5's OST. The only issue with Salta is that despite his music sounding like Halo, he didn't make many epic or powerful themes for Spartan Assualt.

Now that I've listed the pros and cons of both composers, this is what 343i should do:

Have Kazuma compose Halo 5's big themes, like epic music that plays during boss fights, big vehicle battles, or the finale of the last mission. Based on what we have heard from Halo 4's OST, when Kazuma composes songs like those, he captures the Halo vibe.

Have Tom Salta compose Halo 5's smaller and more ambient music, like music that plays when slowly exploring a forest/desert/tundra/alien world, a small firefight, or any part of the game that is atmospheric and needs music to define what that part of the Halo universe feels like. Based on what we have heard from Halo Spartan Assualt's ost, when Tom Salta composes atmospheric and ambient music, he captures the Halo vibe.

If 343i does this, Halo 5's soundtrack will sound like Halo... wich sounds amazing. With Tom Salta and Kazuma working togother in this way, they will make music worthy of Martin O Donnel, maybe even better!
Completely agree. Actually, I'd prefer if Salta composed the music alone. I think the only reason he didn't have any epic tracks is because Spartan Assault didn't need any.

I remember reading an interview where he said that it was important to make music that captured the soul of Halo. He felt that if he made great music that didn't feel like Halo, he'd consider it a failure. Sure it's still great, but it's not Halo.

Check around on on the web for the exact quote, it's a great interview with him that really shows exactly why he should be composing Halo's music.
Disolus wrote:
Completely agree. Actually, I'd prefer if Salta composed the music alone. I think the only reason he didn't have any epic tracks is because Spartan Assault didn't need any.

I remember reading an interview where he said that it was important to make music that captured the soul of Halo. He felt that if he made great music that didn't feel like Halo, he'd consider it a failure. Sure it's still great, but it's not Halo.

Check around on on the web for the exact quote, it's a great interview with him that really shows exactly why he should be composing Halo's music.
wow, Salta seems to want to be faithful to Halo when he composes. Davidge on the other hand said specifically he wanted to go in a whole new direction. I hope 343i hires Salta and makes him an official staff member.
Tom Salta is a good composer
Met Tom at a game audio convention during the fall. Super cool guy, and he talked with our small group for a bit about writing the soundtrack for Halo: Spartan Assault.
The guy definitely is passionate about wanting to stay faithful while incorporating some new elements into Halo's soundtrack, it'd be fantastic to see him work on bigger Halo's =D