Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Head to Head Released

OP JB Linken

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Head to Head recently came out, you can read more about it here.

I have really been looking forward to this. I've only played one game, but I think the round system is pretty interesting. In previous Halos it's just been first to 15 or 20 or whatever, but this is a great twist on the game mode, and as they say in the post "prevents things from getting out of hand."

I was initially expecting or hoping for something like Halo 3's Head to Head playlist where the leader would have an icon over their head after awhile to prevent hiding, but the round reset and also needing the most points if it goes to game 3 is really creative. It encourages you to go out and look for kills as opposed to hiding. After all, you never know what might happen and could need them to win.

Edit: I don't know if it is intentional or not, but the Sense Power Up persists through death. I died right as I was picking it up and when I respawned I still had my motion detector.
I'm terrified of this playlist, but I'll give it a shot. I'm gonna get beaten up pretty bad :(
I'm terrified of this playlist, but I'll give it a shot. I'm gonna get beaten up pretty bad :(
If you lose a round, don't get discouraged! It's pretty amazing the comebacks that can happen. I just completed my placement matches and it was a blast. Each game had its intense moments which I appreciate.

These maps are very well done. Kudos to the creators!
The Head To Head playlist is somewhat broken.
Round 1: I win
Round 2: I lose
Round 3: I had beat him 4-2
BUT somehow I still lost?? Even though my score was ahead of his in the final round.
Desiptive wrote:
BUT somehow I still lost?? Even though my score was ahead of his in the final round.
When it comes to game 3, the point isn't to win the round but to have the most kills. I reviewed your most recent Head to Head match and he had you beat by 1 point.

It's better explained in the "Mode" section of the Head to Head post. I think this is a pretty cool system! Once you see how it all works, you can really strategize and choose when to attack rather than brute forcing it like Team Slayer, if that makes sense.
Haven't been able to try it out yet, however I've wanted a 1v1 in h5 for awhile now. I would have played a lot of it back in like 2016/17
Played a couple games and it seems pretty cool. Maps are designed well and should make for fun matches for those who stick with the playlist for a while.
Hi! I bought 'The Art of Halo 5: Guardians' recently and it came with a code to redeem a supply pack, but I don't have the game, so I'm giving this code away!

No best place to give it away like the last post on this forum, here goes:
Spoiler:
Show
JB Linken wrote:
Desiptive wrote:
When it comes to game 3, the point isn't to win the round but to have the most kills. I reviewed your most recent Head to Head match and he had you beat by 1 point.

It's better explained in the "Mode" section of the Head to Head post. I think this is a pretty cool system! Once you see how it all works, you can really strategize and choose when to attack rather than brute forcing it like Team Slayer, if that makes sense.
Then you’re looking at the wrong game. Look at all my games because I had experienced this two times already. If you mean that I need more kills total, counting all rounds then yes I was beat by one point. But in the third round I was ahead and it had gone to the timer (meaning I hadn't gotten all 5 kills before the round end timer). I don’t know if this is how the game is meant to play out but I feel this is not meant to be. Hopefully this issue is resolved soon. Other than that I do enjoy this game mode
Desiptive wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
Desiptive wrote:

Then you’re looking at the wrong game. Look at all my games because I had experienced this two times already. If you mean that I need more kills total, counting all rounds then yes I was beat by one point. But in the third round I was ahead and it had gone to the timer (meaning I hadn't gotten all 5 kills before the round end timer). I don’t know if this is how the game is meant to play out but I feel this is not meant to be. Hopefully this issue is resolved soon. Other than that I do enjoy this game mode
Yes that is how it is meant to play. If the two first rounds are split, the win goes to the person with the most total kills across all 3 rounds. So basically you can lose the match even if you win the 3rd round.
Desiptive wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
Desiptive wrote:

Yes that is how it is meant to play. If the two first rounds are split, the win goes to the person with the most total kills across all 3 rounds. So basically you can lose the match even if you win the 3rd round.
I love this system. It makes you think and have some strategy besides the traditional “win the round at any cost.”

Let’s say you get 5 kills in round 1 (5-0). But in round 2 you lose to the timer (2-3). The total kill count going into round 3 is (7-3).

Here even if you and your opponent got enough kills to make the round score (1-2), they would win the round when the timer ran out, but the over score is (8-5), so you would win having more kills.

Does that make sense?
I just played it, really fun game mode, but I wish it just went for one round that's 8-10 minutes with everything else being the same. I'm not gonna lie, I rage when I'm losing so it's not a good game mode for me to play especially since it's just a 1V1 but so far I've been having pretty fun playing it.
I've only played my placements but I like it so far. Some of the maps could use less power weapons but overall not a bad playlist. I'll probably play more when I get time.
I'm excited to try out this playlist but nervous as well. I managed to climb up to level 50 when it was a ranked playlist back in Halo 3 but that was years ago and Halo 5 is a much different game. We'll see how things ago I suppose.
Ive won 19 of my last 20 games and it wont rank me out of D2 even tho I placed D3... I have a 2.0 KDR, 82% WLR and 34 games played. I'm playing on balanced and focused but every win is +1 CSR and if I lose its -30 CSR

Is there a better way to go about the ranking structure for Head 2 Head? @JoshMenke
MGE Desire wrote:
Ive won 19 of my last 20 games and it wont rank me out of D2 even tho I placed D3... I have a 2.0 KDR, 82% WLR and 34 games played. I'm playing on balanced and focused but every win is +1 CSR and if I lose its -30 CSR

Is there a better way to go about the ranking structure for Head 2 Head? @JoshMenke
What are the ranks of your opponents?
MGE Desire wrote:
You'd have better luck posting in this thread if you want Josh to see your post.
like the idea of the playlist but this is a complete noob game mode all the abilities back in don't like it at all. Running around using an AR, while dude holds forward. not a fan give us a hcs 1v1 game. just my opinion. but overall glad they are adding new modes in
I'm excited to try out this playlist but nervous as well. I managed to climb up to level 50 when it was a ranked playlist back in Halo 3 but that was years ago and Halo 5 is a much different game. We'll see how things ago I suppose.
Take it with a grain of salt. I was heavily involved with ranked Halo 5 up until mid last year, and I tried hopping into head to head after a very long break.

Needless to say, I got my teeth kicked in badly. Matches felt like somebody held the back of my head and made me eat sand. Completely understandable if you don't do super great going straight in. Still a really fun playlist if you need to scratch that competitive itch without the team stomp.
i love this playlists, it's so beautiful :33
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3