Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Head to Head Released

OP JB Linken

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Here is some information I wanted to share because I don't think it was outlined in the post where the rules were described.

If you play game and at the end of round 3 you and your opponent have equal kills, whoever wins round 3 will be the winner of the game.
Played my first match and things aren't looking good for me. I was expecting to have a reasonable start, instead I got pitted against a high Platinum player and got annihilated. I don't think I'm cut out for this playlist at all.
HaXoR73 wrote:
Played my first match and things aren't looking good for me. I was expecting to have a reasonable start, instead I got pitted against a high Platinum player and got annihilated. I don't think I'm cut out for this playlist at all.
My first few games were steamrolls, but now I seem more evenly matched. I don't know if that is the matchmaking or people figuring out the game mode.

My advice I would give is to try to keep your opponent from acquiring the Sensor Power-Up. That doesn't necessarily mean grab it before they do, as it can be used as bait, but it is a very powerful tool for turning the tides or gaining a competent lead.
Halo 5's population is going down! What should we do?

Add popular game modes? Nah, let's just create a 1v1 game mode! With only 2 players per game, server population is a non-issue! Problem solved! :D

Add popular game modes? Nah, let's just create a 1v1 game mode! With only 2 players per game, server population is a non-issue! Problem solved! :D
Head to Head brought a few of my friends back. What kind of popular game mode would you suggest?
JB Linken wrote:

Head to Head brought a few of my friends back. What kind of popular game mode would you suggest?
I'm glad some players have come back! :) My comment was mostly just to satirize the trend in matchmaking decisions being made for the game, which is find abundantly infuriating.

To answer your question: I want to have Core Play back, most of all. Halo 5 is presently devoid of its basic, essential gameplay. There is no playlist featuring 4v4 objective game modes like CTF, Oddball, and Assault. The only related option is ranked arena, which, in addition to removing the controversial pound and charge, only features magnums, magnum variants, and extremely similar precision weapons. While ideal for a competitive scene, these options are missing most of what makes Halo 5 what it is, namely, weapon variety, objective variety, and good maps. I find ranked arena, sadly the closest thing to Core Play, to be immensely frustrating. It has almost none of what I enjoyed when 4v4 modes were around.

Novelty modes like Shotty Snipers, Super Fiesta, or the long-out-of-style Minotaurs and mongoose sumo, are only fun for a few minutes, and there's nothing to go back to afterward for the true Halo 5 experience.
JB Linken wrote:

I'm glad some players have come back! :) My comment was mostly just to satirize the trend in matchmaking decisions being made for the game, which is find abundantly infuriating.

To answer your question: I want to have Core Play back, most of all. Halo 5 is presently devoid of its basic, essential gameplay. There is no playlist featuring 4v4 objective game modes like CTF, Oddball, and Assault. The only related option is ranked arena, which, in addition to removing the controversial pound and charge, only features magnums, magnum variants, and extremely similar precision weapons. While ideal for a competitive scene, these options are missing most of what makes Halo 5 what it is, namely, weapon variety, objective variety, and good maps. I find ranked arena, sadly the closest thing to Core Play, to be immensely frustrating. It has almost none of what I enjoyed when 4v4 modes were around.

Novelty modes like Shotty Snipers, Super Fiesta, or the long-out-of-style Minotaurs and mongoose sumo, are only fun for a few minutes, and there's nothing to go back to afterward for the true Halo 5 experience.
That's true there isn't a social objective playlist. I can't recall if there was one before and it was removed due to population or something though.

I think Halo 5 has a lot to improve on as well. I don't like that Quick Play with its 3 maps is the closest thing to traditional Social Slayer in the game. I think the map list should be expanded.
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:

That's true there isn't a social objective playlist. I can't recall if there was one before and it was removed due to population or something though.

I think Halo 5 has a lot to improve on as well. I don't like that Quick Play with its 3 maps is the closest thing to traditional Social Slayer in the game. I think the map list should be expanded.
Long ago, in the golden age, there was a playlist called Social Arena, which offered CTF, Slayer, Strongholds, and other objective game modes to teams of 4. Eventually, 343 thought to rebrand and promote this playlist. Renaming it Core Play, because it offered the true core of the Halo 5 experience, the playlist gained Oddball and a greater mix of modes and maps.

Then, suddenly, it disappeared. The dedicated players who loved Halo 5's objective modes were disregarded, simply because they were few in number. Now, Halo 5 is stuck in an endless dark age, with no 4v4 objective modes (aside from magnum-only ranked). Social arena, once a place to experience Halo at its best and truest, is now a place for joke game modes, like rock n rail, big tram fiesta, and the long-out-of-style mongoose sumo.
Lovers of objective game modes have no where to go except quick play's 3-map, slayer-only playlist, or the try-hards' magnum fest on the ranked side.

Halo 5 is not what it once was. Before, it was a game that prided itself on the depth and substance of its objective-based battles and fun-loving community. Now, it is a barren wasteland, with its once happy fans now only returning scarcely, with the vain hope that this week, maybe there will be a good game mode featured.

But no, it's just Shotty Snipers.
I haven’t played in a long time (early days), sounds like I haven’t missed out on much.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3