Heavy Aim Fix Incoming

OP IWI IUI

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 41
Heavy aim is not rooted in the actual mechanics of the aiming system. By that statement I mean that it is not a result of the dual zone system. Halo has always had a dual zone system. The velocity jump is higher compared to other halos to compensate for the reduced auto aim on the primary single shot weapon we currently use. I ask that everyone keep an open mind please. I originally made the thread about H2A using more bandwidth than it should that got Bravo's attention.
Old thread

The server has a direct effect on the controller input time. I am convinced that it is the distance from the server and the amount of stress the server is under, and the distance from other players that affects this input. As empirical evidence, you can start a custom open to the public. If you are the host of the custom, the server selected will be the one closest to you. You should notice as soon as you start walking around that the aim and movement of your spartan is clean. If the players in your game are close to your server the game remains clean. When players join that are farther away the aim and movement becomes unresponsive.
I recently participated in a 2 day SC "LAN". Halo 5 does not have LAN, but we were all in the same house. In 2 days there was almost no instances of heavy aim. As soon as another player joined from FL, the aiming became sluggish for everyone. In a separate game, as soon as a player from CA joined the aim became sluggish.
Therein lies the problem. Controller input should not be affected by the connection.

Why connection affects the aim:
1. My analysis of this is based on only team arena games. There are no forge maps in team arena.
2. Playing with people farther away or a set of people that is geographically diverse results in heavier aiming.
3. The host of a custom games determines the location of the server selected. joining a game where the host is located far from you results in heavy aiming.
4. Playing on the server closest to you results in much more responsive aiming.
5. Heavy aiming is not as severe on distant servers during hours where that server is underpopulated. (ex. 5am)
6. Warzone does not have these aiming problems, yet has far more objects and players.

My thought on why it happens:

• There is a QOS process happening that places packets and other cpu processes in que in front of controller input.
  • It is exacerbated by server stress because there is not enough server bandwidth being allocated and/or physical servers (The actual towers) for the game. Distance then further adds to the problem.
  • The servers likely can't maintain the proper tick rate as a result of server cpu stress and server tick rate drops. Because of this, the xbox one is forced to do more client prediction steps of it's own using interpolation and xbox one CPU comes under too much stress as well causing frame drops.

• It is also possible that the server is actually calculating these inputs. Though this is not confirmed.
I have been timing 360's and straight up and downs to see if there was any difference among the playlists. There was. I've rounded each number to the nearest hundredth. The horizontal was set to 3 and the vertical was set to 5.5.The slow game only had one other person in it. It was unusually slow for only having one other person in it. I'd give the heaviness a 4 out of 10.

1. Average 360 in Warzone: 1.22 seconds
  2. Average 360 in a game by myself: 1.24 seconds
  3. Average 360 in slow game: 1.26 seconds
  4. Average vertical time in Warzone: 1.12 seconds
  5. Average vertical time in game by myself: 1.14 seconds
  6. Average vertical time in slow game: 1.15
  7. Average vertical time for the first 30 seconds of the game 1.18
  8. Average vertical time between 10 and 20 seconds of a person joining 1.20
  • The game runs at 60 fps which makes one frame equal to 16.67 milliseconds or .016.
  • Difference between mild and moderately heavy 360 to warzone 360 = 2.5 frames. Effective frames = 3. = 50 milliseconds of delay. The reason the frames are rounded up instead of down is because currently the fastest gaming monitors have 10ms of input lag. 10+8 = 18 > 16.67.
  • Difference between heavy game and warzone vertical look = 1.875 frames. Effective frames 2. = 32 milliseconds of delay. Frames rounded up for the same reason as above.After doing this, it's easy to imagine how much heavier games are impossible to play. The heavy game I gathered data from was less than average as far as heaviness goes. I should also mention that warzone had screen tearing. I've never noticed that in arena. It's possible that Vsync is turned off for warzone and on for arena and is causing input/output problems as well.

Tips

1. Your permanent unlocks are a contributor to heavy aim / movement. To reduce heavy aim noticeably, create a new smurf and make that your new profile to play on halo with. Do not open any packs that give permanent unlocks. Eg. Emblems, armor pieces, weapon skins, and stances (and possibly armor mods). These items are loaded into the ram when your player profile is loaded at the menu and cause problems.
    2. Go to your xbox one settings and clear your bluray persistent storage between each game.
    3. Do not use party chat with people other than those you are playing with.

I ask that the thread be focused specifically on heavy aiming. Ghost melees, etc are obviously a problem within the game. However, if we want heavy aiming resolved, there needs to be a consistent and structured focus on heavy aiming to maintain momentum and unity within the community on this. Thanks.
Good 'ol 343... just bandaging up the issue without fixing the problem!

There is also noticeable input delay in melee mechanics, and scoping... there are games where I'd argue that ALL inputs feel a bit off. Even aim-assist fails to do much at all... then the next game, everything works like a charm and you're suddenly a full-fledged Halo pro that can't miss... when the game or two before, your aim is shooting off or windmilling everywhere, because the input was not crisp.
I wonder if heavy aim and ghost melee is caused by the same thing.

I've been experiencing "ghost" input in my melee, reload, and when firing rockets. With melee there is the obvious made contact but no damage but I'm also experiencing a lack off lunge. With reload the animation completes, the weapon says its reloaded but isn't. With rockets randomly trigger pulls never fire and it's only happening with halo 5 rocket launcher so I don't think it's my controller.

The servers got really bad recently and even things like ai and textures in warzone aren't behaving normally. With ai it was that their difficulty was lower, there was less of them than normal, and they kept spawning in hard to reach places. With textures there is overlapping fuzzy stuff going on, ledges and objects some times are missing.

Even the spartan abilities seem to be off but I'm not sure if it could just be latency.
IWI IUI wrote:
Hey everyone. I've seen a thread about this already but I wanted to post a new one to clear some confusion.

Some brief history about me: I've been competing at events for 10 years and have been playing halo since halo 1. I've placed at MLG on multiple occasions and spent an extremely unhealthy amount of time playing the halo series. I've also competed in Battlefield 3 and 4 tournaments and placed very well. I'm familiar with aiming mechanics in shooters and quite sensitive to changes in them.

Heavy aim is not rooted in the actual mechanics of the aiming system. By that statement I mean that it is not a result of the dual zone system. Halo has always had a dual zone system. The velocity jump is higher compared to other halos to compensate for the reduced auto aim on the primary single shot weapon we currently use. I ask that everyone keep an open mind please. I originally made the thread about H2A using more bandwidth than it should that got Bravo's attention. Seen below. I am not an expert, but I am fairly well informed with networking.
Old threadHeavy aim is a result of the netcoding affecting input. I have played this game on LAN a few times and there was absolutely zero occurrence of heavy aim. I'm sure many of you noticed that the servers most of the first week of Monitors Bounty played well. At that point the aiming was pretty much flawless. Over time, the servers became worse and the aim regressed to its original form. It feels pre-patch. My suspicion is that much like playing coop xbox live campaign in the older halo games, the server/host has a direct effect on the controller input time. I am convinced that it is the distance from the host and the amount of stress the server is under that affects this input. As empirical evidence, you can start a custom open to the public. If you are the host of the custom, the server selected will be the one closest to you. You should notice as soon as you start walking around that the aim is clean.

Therein lies the problem. Controller input should not be affected by the connection. The update temporarily helped because the server cache was cleared. Hence why it was temporary. The problem lies within the netcode and it is simply unacceptable. Halo is an FPS and the S part doesn't work properly.
Well said my friend well said!! Not only what you have said here makes total sense but it is also exactly what I have experienced.. How can we get 343i attention on this matter to resolve such a problem?? I feel we are on a sinking ship here and the only ones that care to save it are the passengers/players. The captain has already bailed ship! This is very unacceptable and needs a fix! Not a patch job! You seem knowledgeable about this. Do you have any idea what they could do to fix this? It just seems over time the servers become bogged down and it gets very sluggish.. I will be watching this thread closely.. Would like to hear more of what you think about this matter if you have anything more to share.. Thanks for posting this!

Zippy.
Holy cow it looks like this guy knows his stuff.

I've been experiencing "ghost" input in my melee, reload, and when firing rockets. With melee there is the obvious made contact but no damage but I'm also experiencing a lack off lunge. With reload the animation completes, the weapon says its reloaded but isn't. With rockets randomly trigger pulls never fire and it's only happening with halo 5 rocket launcher so I don't think it's my controller.

The servers got really bad recently and even things like ai and textures in warzone aren't behaving normally. With ai it was that their difficulty was lower, their was less of them than normal, and they kept spawning in hard to reach places. With textures there is overlapping fuzzy stuff going on, ledges and objects some times are missing.

Even the spartan abilities seem to be off but I'm not sure if it could just be latency.
Ghost reloads, melees, and bullet refunding have always been a part of halo. Typically, it has been caused by packet loss. I would say this still holds true. Even with perfect servers, this can still be an issue online because no one's connection has 0% packet loss 100% of the time. However, after seeing Frosty get a ghost reload at the NA finals in the last game of the series, it seems possible there is a problem within the game itself.

Delayed rockets happen to me every time I pick them up. The delay might have something to do with the movement of the spartan when they are picked up. As an example you can't immediately melee when you jump (which is ridiculous). I haven't really tested it but I think the delayed rockets might actually be a feature for weapon balancing. I'll have to play around with it.
IWI IUI wrote:
Hey everyone. I've seen a thread about this already but I wanted to post a new one to clear some confusion.

Some brief history about me: I've been competing at events for 10 years and have been playing halo since halo 1. I've placed at MLG on multiple occasions and spent an extremely unhealthy amount of time playing the halo series. I've also competed in Battlefield 3 and 4 tournaments and placed very well. I'm familiar with aiming mechanics in shooters and quite sensitive to changes in them.

Heavy aim is not rooted in the actual mechanics of the aiming system. By that statement I mean that it is not a result of the dual zone system. Halo has always had a dual zone system. The velocity jump is higher compared to other halos to compensate for the reduced auto aim on the primary single shot weapon we currently use. I ask that everyone keep an open mind please. I originally made the thread about H2A using more bandwidth than it should that got Bravo's attention. Seen below. I am not an expert, but I am fairly well informed with networking.
Old threadHeavy aim is a result of the netcoding affecting input. I have played this game on LAN a few times and there was absolutely zero occurrence of heavy aim. I'm sure many of you noticed that the servers most of the first week of Monitors Bounty played well. At that point the aiming was pretty much flawless. Over time, the servers became worse and the aim regressed to its original form. It feels pre-patch. My suspicion is that much like playing coop xbox live campaign in the older halo games, the server/host has a direct effect on the controller input time. I am convinced that it is the distance from the host and the amount of stress the server is under that affects this input. As empirical evidence, you can start a custom open to the public. If you are the host of the custom, the server selected will be the one closest to you. You should notice as soon as you start walking around that the aim is clean.

Therein lies the problem. Controller input should not be affected by the connection. The update temporarily helped because the server cache was cleared. Hence why it was temporary. The problem lies within the netcode and it is simply unacceptable. Halo is an FPS and the S part doesn't work properly.
Well said my friend well said!! Not only what you have said here makes total sense but it is also exactly what I have experienced.. How can we get 343i attention on this matter to resolve such a problem?? I feel we are on a sinking ship here and the only ones that care to save it are the passengers/players. The captain has already bailed ship! This is very unacceptable and needs a fix! Not a patch job! You seem knowledgeable about this. Do you have any idea what they could do to fix this? It just seems over time the servers become bogged down and it gets very sluggish.. I will be watching this thread closely.. Would like to hear more of what you think about this matter if you have anything more to share.. Thanks for posting this!

Zippy.
I'm not on the inside of this company, so I can't say anything for certain. But... my thinking is this: The developers are well aware of the issue and always have been. I'm aware there have been statements in the past by 343 denying the existence of heavy aiming. However, the pros have spoken about it so much I'm confident they actually knew it was there all along.

If the problem is in the netcode, then the problem is an expensive fix. I suspect that 343 performed a cost-benefit analysis and came to the conclusion it would take too much time and money to make fixing the mistake worthwhile. If all player input is affected by a server, that likely means an entire overhaul of the coding.

Secondly, the servers (The microsoft Azure servers in general) themselves are not trash. 343 more than likely determined the amount of money they would save by purchasing a limited amount of servers and a limited amount of bandwidth would be greater than the amount of money lost from people not buying the game long after server problems became apparent.
The past few games my aim has definitely felt off. My internet is pretty crappy, and I was going for a 5-12 game. Nobody was teleporting around, my aim just felt extremely awful. I hopped onto MCC directly after and got a match of Halo 2. Aiming felt perfect and went 22-13. I don't know if it is heavy aiming causing this, but it could explain why I am finding Halo 5's aiming more difficult than it was in the past.

I have noticed a whole lot of ghost reloads too. Sometimes a reload doesn't put bullets into the gun, other times the game reloads twice for no reason. I think the delayed rockets is a balancing feature so you can't pick up rockets and then directly fire. I'm not 100% sure if it is, but it is present on both rocket launchers.

As for ghost melees, I have definitely seen a lot of that. Times where I punch twice and the last one doesn't connect like it should, times where somebody was within punching range, but there was no lunge like normal. Same seems to happen for swords. I can have somebody within the swords lunge range (when the reticule is red) but I swing and no lunge. Other times I get the normal lunge.

Can't tell ya how annoying this is
Normally when the rocket doesn't fire I picked them up a while ago and some times there isn't a lot of in put giving (I'm just straifing).

Today when it happened I jumped, thrust, and turned about 180 degrees, then fired.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
IWI IUI wrote:
IWI IUI wrote:

Zippy.
I'm not on the inside of this company, so I can't say anything for certain. But... my thinking is this: The developers are well aware of the issue and always have been. I'm aware there have been statements in the past by 343 denying the existence of heavy aiming. However, the pros have spoken about it so much I'm confident they actually knew it was there all along.

If the problem is in the netcode, then the problem is an expensive fix. I suspect that 343 performed a cost-benefit analysis and came to the conclusion it would take too much time and money to make fixing the mistake worthwhile. If all player input is affected by a server, that likely means an entire overhaul of the coding.

Secondly, the servers themselves are not trash. 343 more than likely determined the amount of money they would save by purchasing a limited amount of servers and a limited amount of bandwidth would be greater than the amount of money lost from people not buying the game long after server problems became apparent.
Again I totally agree with you.. I had a funny feeling they knew about it. And another thing that is really troublesome is that it must be something that isn't easy to fix as you have stated for various reasons. I think if it was something fixable they would have done it already. Maybe they will chime in here and give some insight on this. Ive been guilty of calling the servers garbage but overtime something deep down told me it was something more then that. Do you happen to know if this type of problem was in other Halo titles that 343i made? Or is this H5 only issue? I never did buy the MCC because of its issues it had so I steered clear of it. Does the MCC have this issue as well that you know of? Thanks again! Lets hope there is still a possible fix for H5!

Zippy.
IWI IUI wrote:

Feel free to ask any questions and make posts that promote constructive discussion. I encourage everyone that has social media channels dedicated to gaming to please share this. Thank you.
Perfect post! I had been thinking this the entire time after they did the previous update. I totally agree that this is completely UNACCEPTABLE especially in a triple A FPS game. This is one of the reasons why I have practically stopped playing H5. Now if we can get the pros and some you-tubers to get on this because a company like 343 only seems to react to problems like this if people make a lot of noise about it. Also the fact that if you play on forge maps such as the BTB playlist and it feels even worse. A quick question to you is do other people, for example take a 4v4 and I start feeling the "heavy aim," but then does everyone else feel it as well or does it vary among the players in the game? If you can OP, since this was your post, could you tweet it out to Vetoed and Favyn, I know those two in particular were interested in the subject, but no one has a well written piece like yours.
IWI IUI wrote:

Feel free to ask any questions and make posts that promote constructive discussion. I encourage everyone that has social media channels dedicated to gaming to please share this. Thank you.
Perfect post! I had been thinking this the entire time after they did the previous update. I totally agree that this is completely UNACCEPTABLE especially in a triple A FPS game. This is one of the reasons why I have practically stopped playing H5. Now if we can get the pros and some you-tubers to get on this because a company like 343 only seems to react to problems like this if people make a lot of noise about it. Also the fact that if you play on forge maps such as the BTB playlist and it feels even worse. A quick question to you is do other people, for example take a 4v4 and I start feeling the "heavy aim," but then does everyone else feel it as well or does it vary among the players in the game? If you can OP, since this was your post, could you tweet it out to Vetoed and Favyn, I know those two in particular were interested in the subject, but no one has a well written piece like yours.
I agree with you.. I honestly think we need to make a lot of noise to at least get a reply to this matter and see if there is anything they can do. As of right now the game is really broken..

Zippy.
I don't know if they would really acknowledge it.

I feel like things that they don't know how to fix dont get acknowledged like I'm sure there was an issue ( might be heavy aim or ghost melee I cant remember) that was known about by the community for a really long time that they acknowledged and stated along the lines of it just being brought up recently when it wasn't.

I feel like most bugs and glitches that get brought up get blamed on lag or even having community members make them out to be smaller than they are which makes very little sence. Like I've been obsessed with trying to hunt down clips of every kill detection glitches going around. So far I have clips of getting a betrayal from an enemy's kill, stealing a hijack kill, and getting a double kill from killing a single Spartan. Though they might be because of the server too or at least for the ones that I don't know how to recreate.
The circumstantial evidence is mounting. Awesome post!

Is the "ghost" input you mentioned likely the reason for this issue?
My personal experience is that the aim fix worked in the early days after the update and now it is all like before the update. I remember that the first game I played after the update i made, in a slayer match, 5 perfect kills (usually i am around 1 or 2), and precision was around 60/70 % (usually around 50%). Now all aim issues are back and I feel that aiming fix is not working as the first days (same ghost melee).
Aiming has never been consistent. It makes me think I'm rubbish at the game. I have good matches but very often feel like I can't get into the Zone. Still not sure if it's me that's inconsistent or the aiming... Definitely a noticeable phenomenon. A response from 343 about it would probably encourage me to keep playing but I'm not feeling much love for Halo 5.
FTB Taterz wrote:
Holy cow it looks like this guy knows his stuff.
Thing is, this is what people were actually asking for pre-patch but 343 just changed attributes on the aiming/acceleration mechanics... which is fine and something plenty of people wanted anyway, the mechanics feel a little more natural...

But to real issue still remains. Try doing a hard reset on your Xbox to clear the system cache... it potentially helps in eliminating any problems there could be on your end that my contribute to the problem.

I definitely feel that the effects have been reduced since I've done the reset, but things occasionally can still feel a little squirrelly.
Okay if this is true then that explains why some games I find myself struggling to get kills. I thought it was just my old age. There are games where I'm trying to shoot down a banshee and I just can't.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 41