Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

High SR does not necessarily mean good player

OP RulerOTW

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I’ve had this notion, that for you to have high SR – 130’s, 140’, that you must be a good enough player. To have reached that high SR, implies you have spent significant amount of time playing.
Two recent observations have changed my mind.
  1. I was reading through the ban thread, and there was a case of someone who in about 3 consecutive games had no kills, no deaths, nothing but had 19K score for the match – survival bonuses + round completion bonuses. Which implies that with an XP booster card, I can an average of 20K XP per match without doing anything!
  2. I watched a game replay in theatre mode (I will discuss the reason in another post). Watching from the perspective of another player, I was shocked. (Before I continue let me just say – this was only one game so I shouldn’t base my conclusions on that as there could be many factors responsible, such as perhaps their toddler child was having a go, or they were on the phone and using one had to play so they are not booted from the game, etc.). this player could not even aim – I’m not talking about headshot, could not even aim at the general direction of the bad guys. Shooting everywhere but the targets, emptying clip after clip, trying to melee without success. Their SR was in the in the high 100’s!

I’m a casual player, not on the grind to anywhere; I get more fulfilment in playing a good game – win or lose, than in reaching an SR number.
For those on the road to 152, my advice is that you at least know the basics, and have fun along the way. Games are meant to be fun and entertainment.
This is common knowledge. Having a high SR is only a determination of how much time you've put into the game. And the player you described was only doing what he was doing to keep from being kicked from the game. I'm 100% sure of that as that's the only reason you'll ever see players doing stuff like that.
It's been that way since Reach. You've always had to do a little bit more research on a player to determine how good they are, usually designated by their highest ranking in a ranked skill playlist.

Which is sort of why I've always liked the old school Halo 3 ranking system. Your base rank was determined by your skill, but your level of rank within that base rank was determined by your playtime. Gave a better representation of the player as a snapshot.
I usually look at their KD in Arena. Mines pretty decent but I used to play A LOT of SWAT. Now i just play Warzone FF grinding out to 152.
SR hasn’t meant anything but time played since Halo Reach. Granted time played can correlate to game knowledge but thats not always the case. Plus since there’s Warzone FF that some people will only play you can have a 152 who hasn’t touched arena casual or ranked for years.
It's been that way since Reach. You've always had to do a little bit more research on a player to determine how good they are, usually designated by their highest ranking in a ranked skill playlist.

Which is sort of why I've always liked the old school Halo 3 ranking system. Your base rank was determined by your skill, but your level of rank within that base rank was determined by your playtime. Gave a better representation of the player as a snapshot.
The main reason why this strategy works is that you can get a significant amount of xp from just time played in Halo Reach, Halo 4 and Halo 5 which incentives players to stand and do the bare minimum to not be kicked. Another point is that it's possible to automate the AFK process which is probably another reason why the AFK strategy is sometimes so widely used.

However, if a player wishes to rank up. Then, my best tip is to have as much fun as possible while playing the game. There is no point ranking up in a game that you don't enjoy.

The main reason why this strategy works is that you can get a significant amount of xp from just time played in Halo Reach, Halo 4 and Halo 5 which incentives players to stand and do the bare minimum to not be kicked. Another point is that it's possible to automate the AFK process which is probably another reason why the AFK strategy is sometimes so widely used.

However, if a player wishes to rank up. Then, my best tip is to have as much fun as possible while playing the game. There is no point ranking up in a game that you don't enjoy.
How does AFK work? as in you are away but still there?

That's the same sentiment I share, I bother playing trying to rank up if you don't enjoy the game? and If you do enjoy the game and you've played for considerable amount of time, then you should have acquired some basic skills.
SR to me is just another achievement, bang away to get 152.Parking my Avatar temporarily, I've had to do it many times over the years. Nature calls unexpectedly, important phone call, Fed-Ex at the door etc.. Sure don't want to lose that Legendary XP boost. Park my Avatar in the corner somewhere and take the controller with me and wiggle the stick every 10 secs to avoid getting a wake up john.
RulerOTW wrote:

How does AFK work? as in you are away but still there?
A game do usually utilize some form of AFK detection system which detects if a player hasn't done any inputs for a certain time interval. However, a such feature can be circumvented by adding random inputs with different intensity at random time intervals.
This is common knowledge. Having a high SR is only a determination of how much time you've put into the game. And the player you described was only doing what he was doing to keep from being kicked from the game. I'm 100% sure of that as that's the only reason you'll ever see players doing stuff like that.
Well said!
I sometimes fiddle around with xcloud and some games have a very bad connection and/or input lag.
I do manage some kills though :).
I would not say that 130 is a high sr because it does not take much to get there
ClRQUE wrote:
I would not say that 130 is a high sr because it does not take much to get there
At which point do you recognize a player to be at a high Spartan Rank?
ClRQUE wrote:
145 and above would be my recognition of someone who has put effort into this game and has a high spartan rank
ClRQUE wrote:
ClRQUE wrote:
145 and above would be my recognition of someone who has put effort into this game and has a high spartan rank
Thanks for the answer. In my opinion, a player has reached a high rank in Halo 5 if a player has reached or is extremely close to 10% out of all xp required for the highest rank (SR125).
ClRQUE wrote:
While I agree it may not be high compared to 152, however to get to 130, you would have played close to 300 Warzone FF games (modest calculation).
After so many games, it should be expected that you would know what you are doing.
RulerOTW wrote:
ClRQUE wrote:
While I agree it may not be high compared to 152, however to get to 130, you would have played close to 300 Warzone FF games (modest calculation).
After so many games, it should be expected that you would know what you are doing.
yeah, killing AI does a surprising amount for knowledge on how to pwn other players...
RulerOTW wrote:
ClRQUE wrote:
RulerOTW wrote:
ClRQUE wrote:
Agreed players at 130 know what they’re doing, I’d say any level above 75 knows what they’re doing but I still would not consider 130 to be a level where a player has put in much effort into the game, especially if they’ve had it since launch
RulerOTW wrote:
ClRQUE wrote:
yeah, killing AI does a surprising amount for knowledge on how to pwn other players...
Unfortunately, people still bring their personality traits into gameplay. Some even unleash their innermost darkness in gameplay, that which they have managed to keep under check in real life. how else would you explain a player doing all they can to deliberately splatter team members? I wrote abut this in the tale of Scouthog Guy, a Matador & Spartan Charger
RulerOTW wrote:
RulerOTW wrote:
ClRQUE wrote:
Unfortunately, people still bring their personality traits into gameplay. Some even unleash their innermost darkness in gameplay, that which they have managed to keep under check in real life. how else would you explain a player doing all they can to deliberately splatter team members? I wrote abut this in the tale of Scouthog Guy, a Matador & Spartan Charger
I understand, I hope that you play with people more like me, I only run over team mates if they jump out at my vehicle, even then, I try not to do that
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2